View Single Post
Old 30.09.2011, 16:19
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,410 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change of TaC: How to delete my posts?

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if he had the right to do this.
Well it's a bit late now.

Quote:
View Post
You, the members in here – this is still your community. The ownership of the domain name and the responsibility for who pays for it to run and who does the work to make it all happen will not change the experience for you. If you all can work with James, he can help you make this forum as it should be.
Well it's just changed dramatically. What next?

Quote:
View Post
Hello EnglishForum members and guests.

It has been just a little more than a year now since my brother and founder of this fine forum left us all far too early in a tragic accident.

Since then, the forum has had uncertainties and ups and downs. I was closely involved with Mark in much of his forum development projects and I could not bear to get too close to the running of his forum for a long time.

While many people have worked very hard with little praise or appreciation to keep things running behind the scenes, no one has managed to keep things upgraded and feature rich as Mark always did.

The forum (as it stands) works, but as the ‘net marches on, things break and need updating. It has pained me to see much of Mark’s work slowly break and not keep pace with changes. It has also pained me to see the disruptions and the downtime despite sterling efforts of some behind the scenes.

A little while ago, I intervened with some minor fixes following the last move and promised to sit behind the scenes and try to steer the forum in a better direction. I promised there would be some upgrades, fixes and changes on the way and today I can announce that this will begin in earnest.

I have decided to give the forum into the care of someone who is already quite capable of running a forum superbly. I have full confidence that he will be able to be a part of this community and give it the care, time and technical skills that are needed.

I have deliberated long over this decision and it has not been an easy one to make. I am quite sure however that this is almost exactly the same sort of decision that Mark would have made (though he may have done it a bit quicker).

I have decided that the future of this forum in order to be sustainable, (both technically and financially), will be in the hands of the right commercial model. This may initially upset some, but as you will see, there are many positives to this change and will enable the forum to reach the point that Mark had intended for it.

I have now handed over ownership to The Local, a small organisation who have a niche expat market and should be a nice fit for the community here. They do not intend to make any big changes in here and want to keep everything much the same as it is. You may notice a small logo in the corner, but I think that will be a small price to pay for having the forum kept as it should be. I’ll let James explain that to you, but suffice to say that I would not have transferred the forum to them if I believed it would not be of benefit to the community and Mark’s legacy.

Some of you have also donated to keep this forum running over the last year and most of that has been used wisely on the hosting that is currently serving you. I will make it my task to properly investigate all donations and make sure that any left over funds will be offered to be returned. I want to make sure that everything is accounted for and nothing goes amiss. Please note: The new owner has nothing to do with past donations, nor will do. Please PM me if you have any concerns about this.

You, the members in here – this is still your community. The ownership of the domain name and the responsibility for who pays for it to run and who does the work to make it all happen will not change the experience for you. If you all can work with James, he can help you make this forum as it should be.

Please welcome James (Editor Bob) into your community and with your help, I’m sure he’ll help you to make this a better place.

Robert Fyvie