View Single Post
Old 15.03.2012, 16:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 136 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 9,470 Times in 3,966 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Belgium bus crashes in Sierre tunnel (Canton Valais), 28 dead including 22 childr

Quote:
View Post
Driving to work today, I looked on the right-hand side of the road, and if I would veer a few feet, less than 1 meter, I could easily hit any number of inanimate objects: trees, light-poles, buildings, etc. Altho the support wall that the bus hit was a major reason for the massive impact, I wouldn't really point the finger at it and blame the people who designed or built it.
But it's still always worth investigating to see if things can be improved through design.

Avoiding one accident like this would make it all worthwhile.

Quote:
View Post
I think when tragedies like this happen, people are looking for answers, and to find a way from preventing the tragedy from happening again. I don't know if that really applies in this case. In this case it looks like a "perfect storm" of incidences: the driver suddenly veering, and the wall right there. If the driver would have veered a few feet the other way to the left, it could have hit oncoming traffic.

Not in this tunnel - the two directions are in separate tunnels.

An example of why a change in design can be a good idea.
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post: