Thread: Glencore Zug?
View Single Post
Old 17.04.2012, 10:30

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
potbelly is considered knowledgeablepotbelly is considered knowledgeablepotbelly is considered knowledgeable
Re: Glencore Zug?

Another very lame bit of Journalism from John Sweeney. I like the way they had to rush this out before the new plant that Glencore have built in DRC, stops all future acid polution. Just so that this part of the Story still had an element of truth to it. This apparently goes live in the next week or 2. (Zug 4 You article) Lets put this into context. The site is 50 years old and bought by Glencore 3 years ago. It has been pumping pollutants into the environment for the last 50 years. Since buying the site, they have renovated the complete site to stop the problem.

While not angels, I would have said that this showed some of the positive actions of Multinational mining companies. Still, I am waiting for the Authorities to oust the squatters from their mine in the DRC and then everyone can jump on 'How disgraceful' band wagon and attack them for the mindless and Brutal oppression of the local tribes. I guess Mr Glasenberg will smile and say "But you wanted us to stop the child labour?"

The only positive about this is that it keeps the issue in the public eye and may pressure all Mining and commodity companies to follow a more ethical line. Shame Panaorama where unable to produce a balanced program!
This user would like to thank potbelly for this useful post: