View Single Post
Old 01.05.2012, 22:01

Groaned at 15 Times in 6 Posts
NicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone live with this salary there?

It is doable, (I don't get into how much is not enough on here)
but it isn't so much the money as it is the apartment, that kind of salary makes a roommate situation the only solution in most Swiss cities because a lot of agencies hold to the rule of "rent must not be higher than X% of salary"- somewhere between 20% and a third. So an apartment for 600-1000 francs won't be easy to find alone and the dossier may not be accepted due to the salary.

OP, I think I remember you posting that you have a Swiss passport? Because your employer may be profiting from your situation by giving you a lower salary (for once, the Swiss have lower salaries, anyway).
I say this because if an employer wants to bring someone from a foreign country and apply for a work permit, the salary has to be within the market range for the job provided. A work permit for a job for 3400 will most likely be turned down by the authorities because that salary is usually for part time or entry-level jobs. The authorities would likely argue that there are enough people on the local job market for a job in that price range. So if you have a passport, just be aware that it is low and use it to get your foot in the door. If you need a work permit, you might not get one at that salary level.
The following 2 users would like to thank NicoleCZ for this useful post: