Thread: Patriotism
View Single Post
Old 05.06.2012, 14:17
Forum Legend

Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,904 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patriotism

Quote:
View Post
Re: the Queen's Jubilee, preposterous fawning over "Britishness", and vigorous waving of Union Jacks

Being proud of simply being from a place, be it Britain, London, or anywhere else, is like being proud of having toenails or breathing oxygen. It's not an achievement, and it's not anything you've had any influence over whatsoever. If you really need something to be proud of, try looking at something that directly relates to you: your achievements, your family, your friends, their achievements. Chances are they're much more worthy of the sentiment than something as completely arbitrary as the country you're from, or the centuries-old leftovers of a ruling class.
You can be proud of something or someone whether or not you have had any influence over them.
I am proud of my family, my husband, and other things including my country, with its highs and lows, its failures and achievements. I am not a great royalist or nationalist, but I think the Queen has been a wonderful asset to Great Britain, she is 86 years old and still working. Yes I know, not in a factory or a coal mine, but she is working, representing our country at home and abroad.
The following 4 users would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post: