View Single Post
Old 01.03.2008, 08:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
swisscath has an excellent reputationswisscath has an excellent reputationswisscath has an excellent reputationswisscath has an excellent reputation
Re: Basic school info

I can give you some basic answers to those questions, based on my childrens schooling here in the local swiss schools in Kanton Zurich)

1 Most children do walk to school as the kids are usually placed in a school that's within walking distance from their home. This is certainly true for kids going to KG, primary school and then middle school. After they've completed those they will have to travel to their new school, usually by public transport.

2 Swiss school hours......what can I say. They change from year to year for the students, however they are better now that they have bought in the block hours. Broadly speaking they they start at 8.20 - 11.55 then 13.40 - 15.20 However.... when the child gets to 4th class they will then start to have the odd lesson that starts at 7.20 and they may have a class that finishes at 16.15 (this is primary school) Somedays they may finish at 11.00 and sometimes they may not return to school after lunch until 14.30 !!!!! When I first came here, it took me ages to get my head around their schedules. But you get the timetable for their school year, and there is usually no change to it for that school year.

3 School year.....(eg) Start around the 20th August
October 6th - 18th Autumn hols
December 22nd - 3rd Jan Christmas hols
February 16th - 28th Ski holidays
April 10th - 25th Easter & Spring hols
July 13th - 15th August Sommer hols

of course there are plenty of "day holidays" also

The prinicipal is called a Schulleiter he has the similar role.

There are special classes given to teach German for children who have a different mother tongue. The amount of lessons they recieve will vary from school to school, gemeinde to gemeinde.

Hope this has helped a little.......I'm sure you'll get lots more answers.

Catherine