Thread: DMV in CH
View Single Post
Old 24.06.2008, 15:13

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
pumpkinpie has no particular reputation at present
Re: DMV in CH

I was issued a Swiss license but it was for a new driver since I had renewed my Ohio license two years before even though I have been driving for twenty years. In order to not be considered a new driver I had to order a drivers application from as far back as possible which showed that I applied for and was issued a drivers license. It was five bucks. The application was online. I printed it off and mailed into the Ohio Bureau of motor vehicles.

I would call to see how your state does it because each state is different. You should be able to find the phone numbers and some info online.

The first person I talked to at the Ohio BMV told me to order my drivers history. However, when I got it it only listed traffic violations and did not list when I first received a license. I called again and then was told I needed to order my drivers application for as far back as possible which is typically six years. I got that in the mail and took it in to exchange my temp Swiss license for a permanent Swiss license that was not for a new driver. They took that license from me and two weeks later I received a drivers license with no expiration.

I was lucky and the Swiss did not require me to translate the certified copies that I gave them since it was all in English. At first they said I would have to but ended up taking the papers along with the temp Swiss license and told me that they would let me know. Thankfully, I got a permanent license in the mail and did a big happy dance!

You need to be clear with your States bureau of motor vehicles that you need something that states a date that you were issued a license before three years ago to prove you are not a new driver. It must certified.

Quote:
View Post
I've just been denied a drivers license in Switzerland because my US driver's license was recently renewed (in the US). Since the US license doesn't state that it is a renewal, just an issue date, Switzerland thinks I got my first driver's license this year. They don't acknowledge that I've been a licensed driver since 1990. I now have to get a special document from the US to get this all taken care of. Has anyone else ever dealt with a situation like this?
This user would like to thank pumpkinpie for this useful post: