View Single Post
Old 17.08.2008, 13:24

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
barcode has no particular reputation at present
Re: External HD Died!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll tell you whats strange, when I put the drive in windows or ms dos, I get the thunk thunk noise but when I tried scanrite on it in it's FreeDos mode, the noise disappeared and the drive sounds healthy (with light still on). However, ScanRite couldn't not do anything with the drive as it said, it's format is unknown (I guess this is because of the scan disk mess up). I'm now considering cutting my losses and formatting the pen drive. Question is how. I can't do it in Windows/Ms Dos as it is not recognised there. Maybe I have a better chance with a non-Windows platform (Linux etc) but I ain't got a clue how to install one in Windows. I am almost certain that Scan Disk caused the major damage as I could access the drive in Windows before I used scan disk. I think Scan Disk crashing messed up the drives format and now it can't be used in Windows. Anyone know how I can install an alternative desktop platform (or alternative dos) that I can try to access the drive. I tried googling but no joy so far. Thanks