View Single Post
Old 08.08.2009, 21:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 4,428 Times in 2,054 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which car would you recommend to a new driver?

When we moved here, we were planning to get a BMW 1 series, until I drove it. I think the visibility was better in my old Audi TT. I just felt like I was driving in a cave. Also, I found the clutch very tempermental. I kept stalling out (and I have driven a standard transmission for more than 20 years).

I think a nicely maintained, used Golf is a good choice. I had Jettas (Boras) in the US, and despite electrical issues, they were excellent cars. But Golfs seem to be better. Peppy, easy to drive, good visibility, and feel safe. They hold the road well, and the clutch is usually forgiving. I thought I would like the beetle, but the visibility was weird... like I was in a bubble.

We have an alfa sportwagon, and although I love the car, it's not for a new driver. The front end is too big.