View Single Post
Old 18.10.2010, 21:35
Forum Legend

Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,162 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rowing in Schaffhausen

Rules? Laws? In Switzerland? H, serioulsy, on this particular topic, there are more regulations in the UK than there are here. Have you seen the Swiss river users map? ( sorry, just iven my copy away and cant recall its name - obtainable through many of the canoe clubs though) It is colour coded to show you the grades of the various sections of most water ways in the country. Or the Swiss Activity Map, pub: Kummerly and Frey. I have certainly paddled all the Rhine with no problems of any sort. ( it does help to understand what the signs on bridges mean, and which side of the green or orange bouys you should be, especially if a barge is bearing down on you)

I have heard however, that kayaks, along with any other boat, are supposed to show a registration number, name and country. I sometimes have a limp flag at the back of my touring kayak, but it has no name or number on display - bever had any problems.

I have looked at the Aare and fully intend to paddle it at some stage. Dams can generally be easily portaged. The dams on the Rhine above Basel have different options - walking some, using a roller system to roll the boat along on another, and a hydrolic lift/ rail combo on another, for getting past the dam.

The only exceptions I have come across in this part of Europe are a few small lakes that exclude boats, plus on the upper Danube there is a section that has date restrictions and the need for buying a cheap, dated permit.
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post: