Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.06.2015, 11:56
ltheurer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Weisslingen
Posts: 15
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
ltheurer has no particular reputation at present
Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

I'm a freelancer working in Switzerland as a single-person enterprise (Einzelfirma). I've completed a project for a customer and have provided them with my final invoice. The customer has paid all invoices punctually for the past 4 years. Payment of this invoice, however, is now nearly two months late.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in my contract with this company regarding the assignment of late fees. Does anybody know if there is a national standard or law for this? If so, what is the percentage of the invoice total that can be charged?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.06.2015, 12:06
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,715
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,027 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Quote:
View Post
I'm a freelancer working in Switzerland as a single-person enterprise (Einzelfirma). I've completed a project for a customer and have provided them with my final invoice. The customer has paid all invoices punctually for the past 4 years. Payment of this invoice, however, is now nearly two months late.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in my contract with this company regarding the assignment of late fees. Does anybody know if there is a national standard or law for this? If so, what is the percentage of the invoice total that can be charged?

Thanks!
Getting paid is a bonus, you will likely loose the client if you start to add interest, 2 months late is not very late from my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.06.2015, 12:12
ltheurer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Weisslingen
Posts: 15
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
ltheurer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Quote:
View Post
Getting paid is a bonus, you will likely loose the client if you start to add interest, 2 months late is not very late from my experience.
I have already lost the client, as they have a new company policy about not working with contractors. Ah, well.

Two months late is VERY late in my experience for the German part of the country.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.06.2015, 12:58
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Standard interest rate is 5%:

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...ndex.html#a104

The default is from the point when they receive a formal reminder. (a102)

But I don't know if there is a default period for payment - that would normally be stated in the contract and on the invoice.

I would send a formal notification, by registered post, re-stating the terms of payment and that they are in debt and you'll have to reluctantly take things further if they don't pay within X days.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.06.2015, 13:06
ltheurer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Weisslingen
Posts: 15
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
ltheurer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Quote:
View Post
Standard interest rate is 5%:

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...ndex.html#a104

The default is from the point when they receive a formal reminder. (a102)

But I don't know if there is a default period for payment - that would normally be stated in the contract and on the invoice.

I would send a formal notification, by registered post, re-stating the terms of payment and that they are in debt and you'll have to reluctantly take things further if they don't pay within X days.
This addresses my question perfectly! Thanks so much for the information and link!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ltheurer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.06.2015, 13:41
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,715
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,027 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Quote:
View Post
I have already lost the client, as they have a new company policy about not working with contractors. Ah, well.

Two months late is VERY late in my experience for the German part of the country.
I have waited 3 to 9 months from more than 1 company in Zurich.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.06.2015, 19:06
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 606
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 745 Times in 330 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guidelines for a freelancer charging late fees?

Quote:
View Post
But I don't know if there is a default period for payment - that would normally be stated in the contract and on the invoice.
Just a follow up on this point:
Art. 75 CO: "Where no time of performance is stated in the contract or evident from the nature of the legal relationship, the obligation may be discharged or called in immediately."
https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...index.html#a75

In other words, the invoice would be instantly payable. However, you will need to send them a payment reminder to put them into default (and only from then onwards will you be able to claim default interest).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mica for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strassenverkehrsamt late fees Alchemy Transportation/driving 2 15.06.2014 10:27
Charging of Fees to Rent an Apartment in Geneva mazza Housing in general 5 06.06.2014 05:52
Help to avoid currency conversion fees and ATM fees Petrosian Finance/banking/taxation 1 21.05.2011 17:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0