Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Commercial events
Swiss Wulle Festival
Calendar: Commercial Events
Marigoldsloft
Junior Member
 
03.10.2015 to 04.10.2015 09:00 to 17:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
City/Town: Zug
Event Type: Exhibition
Location: Burgbach-Saal, St.Oswalds-Gasse 3, Zug


The first Swiss Wulle Festival will take place on Oct 3rd and 4th, at the Burgbachsaal in Zug!

Apart from looking forward to all those exciting vendors at the Burgbach, there will be many attractions on the marketplace just in front of the Festival!

This is a great opportunity to support the Handmade market.

There will be lots of incredible vendors displaying their handmade wares from hand-spun/hand-dyed yarns, bags, bowls, jewelry etc.

The two day market is also filled with amazing courses which will be available in German, English and French.

Over the next three weeks there will be ongoing Giveaways on the Blog: Marigolds' Loft where you can win an array of amazing prizes, from a course entrance, bags, and hand-spun/hand-dyed yarn etc.

Tell your friends - the more the merrier!
Thank you for helping to make this amazing event and annual event!

Warm regards
Natalie
Marigolds' Loft
RSVP'd Yes: 3 (3 members and No guests) RSVP'd No: 1
  • Anjela - Away, next year hopefully!
RSVP sign-ups for this event are now closed.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2  
Old 14.09.2015, 14:48
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,579 Times in 5,411 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

I cannot find the word Wulle in any language, is Wulle a collective name for both Crochet &/or Knit ?

Nothing on Wikipedia either: The page "Wulle" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created.

.

Last edited by Sbrinz; 14.09.2015 at 19:25.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.09.2015, 17:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canton Berne
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Marigoldsloft has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Hi Sbrinz,
Yes, I guess it would be a collective term for all of the "Yarn" creative outlets, so knitting, crochet, spinning and weaving
x
Natalie
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Marigoldsloft for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.09.2015, 11:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
I cannot find the word Wulle in any language, is Wulle a collective name for both Crochet &/or Knit ?

Nothing on Wikipedia either: The page "Wulle" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created.

.
Hi Sprinz!

I'm the organisor of the Swiss Wulle Festival, and the "inventor of the name" so to say.

"Wulle" is just very simply the Swiss German word for "Wolle", yarn! No wonder there is no page on Wikipedia for it!!

Quote:
View Post
Hi Sbrinz,
Yes, I guess it would be a collective term for all of the "Yarn" creative outlets, so knitting, crochet, spinning and weaving
x
Natalie
Dear Natalie, thank you so much for posting about the event!!

In Swiss German, that would be more something like "Handarbeit", the work of your hands. It's also what the curriculum at school used to be called. Today, it broader, more crafting with all kind of materials.

When I went to school here, girls would go to "Handarbeit" learning how to knit, sew, crochet etc., and boys to "Werken", more like crafting with wood and metal and other such "boyish" materials.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 16.09.2015 at 21:18. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FidesFierz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.09.2015, 12:46
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Dear Natalie, thank you so much for posting about the event!!

In Swiss German, that would be more something like "Handarbeit", the work of your hands. It's also what the curriculum at school used to be called. Today, it broader, more crafting with all kind of materials.

When I went to school here, girls would go to "Handarbeit" learning how to knit, sew, crochet etc., and boys to "Werken", more like crafting with wood and metal and other such "boyish" materials.
Buh, stereotypes!

Sorry, my cell twisted the wunderbar image I brought from SF.
Attached Thumbnails
swiss-wulle-festival-20150728_140147.jpg  

Last edited by MusicChick; 03.10.2015 at 10:19.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.09.2015, 12:48
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

But I am there! I am so there, these wonderful events need to be supported. Thanks for organizing it. Any fiber related creativity gets my attention.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.09.2015, 12:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Buh, stereoypes!

Sorry, my cell twisted the wunderbar image I brought from SF.
Absolutely love this!!!

I know, how bad is that!

On the positive side -- todays curriculum is "Werken" for both boys and girls, but knitting and crochet are not taught as extensively anymore like they used to!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.09.2015, 13:24
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Absolutely love this!!!

I know, how bad is that!

On the positive side -- todays curriculum is "Werken" for both boys and girls, but knitting and crochet are not taught as extensively anymore like they used to!
Indeed. But I got some handy tips and tricks from a middle aged CFF ticket conductor one day, he was thrilled to show me right there on my sweater project.

One of my fav blogs was a truck driver's knitting site, he unfortunately stop updating but it was inspirational. Look at this though:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...39990857438962
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.09.2015, 13:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
But I am there! I am so there, these wonderful events need to be supported. Thanks for organizing it. Any fiber related creativity gets my attention.
Great, so we will meet each other there! Thank you for your support, it's greatly appreciated! We're trying something new here .. and if it's successful, we might just make it yearly thing...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FidesFierz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.09.2015, 13:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,349
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,248 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Several members of the Geneva Stitch'n'Bitch group are planning to go.... sadly I can't as I'm away that weekend.

Definitely will try to go next year though, if there's a second one!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.09.2015, 13:47
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Several members of the Geneva Stitch'n'Bitch group are planning to go.... sadly I can't as I'm away that weekend.

Definitely will try to go next year though, if there's a second one!
I was wondering! I will try to pop by in GE, Wednesdays are better this year. If not, I will see them in Zug, hopefully. That's a shame you will not be there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.09.2015, 13:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,349
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,248 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
I was wondering! I will try to pop by in GE, Wednesdays are better this year. If not, I will see them in Zug, hopefully. That's a shame you will not be there.
I can't get to the Wednesday meetings very often these days (transport's tricky in the evenings) but have managed to get to the occasional extra meet-up at Tricolaine on Saturday... next one will be in October I think, and again before Christmas; I'll let you know.
Kirstin is definitely going to the Wulle Feste (as well as a couple of people I'm not sure you know), she doesn't get to S'n'B often as she's working in Zurich these days. Most of the others are still there, plus several new faces!!!

If I know for sure you're going to be the one Wednesday I'll try to get there, if not perhaps in Carouge during the pre-Christmas Sunday openings?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.09.2015, 14:04
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Indeed. But I got some handy tips and tricks from a middle aged CFF ticket conductor one day, he was thrilled to show me right there on my sweater project.

One of my fav blogs was a truck driver's knitting site, he unfortunately stop updating but it was inspirational. Look at this though:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...39990857438962

that article is great!!

Recently, at a market, I had the most interesting encounter. A young black man, promoting his football education team at that event, was standing in front of our set-up, all about the Swiss Wulle Festival. So I started explaining, telling him about all the great classes that will take place ...

... and he goes, you know, I'm from Uganda, we all knit there, my brother lives in London and keeps knitting socks, and I've been knitting sweaters before! Great!! Yes, that's the way it should be!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FidesFierz for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 16.09.2015, 14:10
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
that article is great!!

Recently, at a market, I had the most interesting encounter. A young black man, promoting his football education team at that event, was standing in front of our set-up, all about the Swiss Wulle Festival. So I started explaining, telling him about all the great classes that will take place ...

... and he goes, you know, I'm from Uganda, we all knit there, my brother lives in London and keeps knitting socks, and I've been knitting sweaters before! Great!! Yes, that's the way it should be!
Yup. I keep tellin' everyone since I was 8, hahah. Creativity is a way to happiness (and body heat, wool is so warm and good...although these knitters look hot already, yo )



from here

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...tml?dxwIndex=2

Anjela, I keep running into Kirstin, I will ask her. Hope to catch up with you too!

Last edited by MusicChick; 16.09.2015 at 14:49.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 16.09.2015, 15:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canton Berne
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Marigoldsloft has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post
Dear Natalie, thank you so much for posting about the event!!

In Swiss German, that would be more something like "Handarbeit", the work of your hands. It's also what the curriculum at school used to be called. Today, it broader, more crafting with all kind of materials.

When I went to school here, girls would go to "Handarbeit" learning how to knit, sew, crochet etc., and boys to "Werken", more like crafting with wood and metal and other such "boyish" materials.
No Problem Fides
Nice to have you here!
x
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16.09.2015, 16:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Several members of the Geneva Stitch'n'Bitch group are planning to go.... sadly I can't as I'm away that weekend.

Definitely will try to go next year though, if there's a second one!
This is great to hear, Anjela!

Well, if this years Festival is a full success, there definitely will be a second one! So please keep spreading the word....

Quote:
View Post
Yup. I keep tellin' everyone since I was 8, hahah. Creativity is a way to happiness (and body heat, wool is so warm and good...although these knitters look hot already, yo )
I am so so convinced of that!! The satisfaction you get from something that you've created, that is clothing your children and keeping them warm...

... and from looking at all those beautiful fibres and yarns as well!

We have quite a selection of yarn producers coming to Zug, some from Switzerland, but also some coming from the UK, Austria, Netherlands, Italy, Hungary and Greece -- how exciting is that! Can you imagine how nice it will be to compare all those beauties??

Quote:
View Post
No Problem Fides
Nice to have you here!
x
Thank you so much, it's nice to be here!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 16.09.2015 at 21:17. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.09.2015, 22:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hirzel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
FidesFierz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Btw, here is a great article written about the Swiss Wulle Festival, written by blogger Daniela from "Gemacht mit Liebe":

http://www.gemachtmitliebe.de/swiss-wulle-festival/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.10.2015, 09:56
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

We are on our way...it's far as f..very far, but hey, anything for fibre art. It's exciting. If you see two blond, blue eyed girls with freckles, that's us! Holler! See you laters, happy knitters.


Last edited by MusicChick; 03.10.2015 at 10:34.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.10.2015, 10:04
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival



Argh, they did take my needles last trip. I was hoping it would work, they were plastic and short. I pleaded, the needles were so fancy, vintage and recycled from the US, pop colors from 60s, but the security guys were relentless. Doofuses. I bet if they were knitters they'd shrug it off.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03.10.2015, 10:41
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Wulle Festival

Quote:
View Post


Argh, they did take my needles last trip. I was hoping it would work, they were plastic and short. I pleaded, the needles were so fancy, vintage and recycled from the US, pop colors from 60s, but the security guys were relentless. Doofuses. I bet if they were knitters they'd shrug it off.

No! How awful. I always carry wooden crochet hooks in my bag. Did you loose them completely? Outrageous!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rapperswil Swiss Craft Beer Festival SWISSG Commercial events 10 20.09.2012 01:41
Zurich film festival honours Americans, Austrian, Swiss The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 03.10.2011 00:12
Swiss Beer Festival - Lausanne kimba1 Travel/day trips/free time 11 05.05.2009 22:25
Vevey 16th Street Artists Festival - 16e Festival Artistes de Rue Vanilla Commercial events 2 21.08.2008 11:53
Swiss Jodel Festival - Lucerne 27 - 29 June Lynn Travel/day trips/free time 5 30.06.2008 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0