Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #761  
Old 21.09.2015, 11:29
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

For those who love the smell of passive cigarette smoke and might even be addicted, you should try out Zurich airport.

There's a fantastic situation outside Arrival 2 (Ankunft 2) where all the smokers are BOTH sides of the doors to the terminal because of all the construction work going on. If you are waiting for friends or family off a flight and its delayed you might want to go outside to get some fresh air, problem is you might need to walk about 100m (up towards the runway) as it is also really smoking on the other side to for the main building entry doors, bear in mind arrival 2 area (outside) is covered so you really get the smoke hanging for quite a while outside too.
The only drawback when Arrival 2 is really busy is that you will have to scrape through the smoking crowd blocking your way in/out and could even (like me once) pick up a flailing fag-end which will burn a hole in your clothes.
Lets be positive, its only going to be another 1-2 years before the construction work is finished after 3 years...look forward to to that.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Hausamsee for this useful post:
  #762  
Old 21.09.2015, 12:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
For those who love the smell of passive cigarette smoke and might even be addicted, you should try out Zurich airport.

There's a fantastic situation outside Arrival 2 (Ankunft 2) where all the smokers are BOTH sides of the doors to the terminal because of all the construction work going on. If you are waiting for friends or family off a flight and its delayed you might want to go outside to get some fresh air, problem is you might need to walk about 100m (up towards the runway) as it is also really smoking on the other side to for the main building entry doors, bear in mind arrival 2 area (outside) is covered so you really get the smoke hanging for quite a while outside too.
The only drawback when Arrival 2 is really busy is that you will have to scrape through the smoking crowd blocking your way in/out and could even (like me once) pick up a flailing fag-end which will burn a hole in your clothes.
Lets be positive, its only going to be another 1-2 years before the construction work is finished after 3 years...look forward to to that.

if you wait for arriving passengers do so INSIDE. construction around Terminal B has gone on since 1968, so what
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #763  
Old 21.09.2015, 17:00
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
if you wait for arriving passengers do so INSIDE. construction around Terminal B has gone on since 1968, so what
What if I don't want to?
Reply With Quote
  #764  
Old 22.09.2015, 07:48
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
What if I don't want to?
THEN you have to accept that smoking is permitted OUTDOORS (but not indoors)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #765  
Old 22.09.2015, 09:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,061
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
THEN you have to accept that smoking is permitted OUTDOORS (but not indoors)
Other countries manage to get round that problem by having smoking bans within, for example, four metres of a building entranced.

Actually, they've recently imposed that sort of rule at the entrances to our local hospital here so it is possible here.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #766  
Old 22.09.2015, 09:48
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Other countries manage to get round that problem by having smoking bans within, for example, four metres of a building entranced.

Actually, they've recently imposed that sort of rule at the entrances to our local hospital here so it is possible here.
Other countries maybe but clearly NOT Germany. A train is NOT a hospital. What you mention about your local hospital also is the case at Uni-Spital Zürich and many shops have issued similar rules (example: LIDL Kloten)
Reply With Quote
  #767  
Old 22.09.2015, 09:51
FunnyBone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 496
Groaned at 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 709 Times in 326 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

There are still problems with smoking on hospital grounds. One kantonsspital has some of the smoking spots built right next to the windows and air vents and wafts of smoke go in the building through them when smokers use them. WTF were they really thinking when they chose these smoking places? There you sit patiently in the (windowless) basement for your MRI, and all of a sudden start choking because the air is filled with cigarette smoke. Same with the openable windows on the first floor (EG or parter in CH) - the smokers shelters are placed right next to them.

And why in the world would those disgusting ashtrays be placed at the entrances of buildings? Is stale cigarette aroma a thing here?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank FunnyBone for this useful post:
  #768  
Old 22.09.2015, 10:01
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,061
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Other countries maybe but clearly NOT Germany. A train is NOT a hospital. What you mention about your local hospital also is the case at Uni-Spital Zürich and many shops have issued similar rules (example: LIDL Kloten)
LIDL is not a hospital either.
Reply With Quote
  #769  
Old 22.09.2015, 10:42
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
And why in the world would those disgusting ashtrays be placed at the entrances of buildings? Is stale cigarette aroma a thing here?
That's an easy one. Cos otherwise all those considerate smokers will simply chuck their butts on the ground.


As we all know, fag ends don't appear to qualify as littering.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #770  
Old 22.09.2015, 10:45
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,211
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,235 Times in 4,919 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Out if interest do the smoking laws apply to the outdoor areas of stores? Does anybody know?

I was in Jumbo on Saturday in their outdoor plants and soil section which has a roof over a part of it but is open in the other part. Two women were standing puffing away on their cigarettes and blowing smoke everywhere whilst blocking the aisle with their trollies. I politely said 'excuse me' (in French) as I wanted to get through but they ignored me (they were speaking French to each other) so I moved their trollies myself and passed by. Walking through a huge cloud of smoke was unpleasant but that wasn't really what annoyed me the most, it was their rudeness.( they moved their trollies back across to block the aisle after I'd passed).

I thought it was forbidden to smoke in stores. I would have asked a member of staff but there was nobody around at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #771  
Old 22.09.2015, 14:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
LIDL is not a hospital either.
But the manageress there makes it clear that there is a 10 meter minimum distance
Reply With Quote
  #772  
Old 22.09.2015, 15:04
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
THEN you have to accept that smoking is permitted OUTDOORS (but not indoors)
Do I also have to accept that smokers get preference in a situation like I have mentioned? If there is building works stop the smokers smoking outside altogether.. In Zurich smokers IMO always get preference...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Hausamsee for this post:
  #773  
Old 22.09.2015, 15:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Do I also have to accept that smokers get preference in a situation like I have mentioned? If there is building works stop the smokers smoking outside altogether.. In Zurich smokers IMO always get preference...
No they don`t. Everywhere indoors is for non-smokers. Now you are asking for the smoking areas too? I do hope that in winter-time you are also so passionate about standing around outdoors.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #774  
Old 22.09.2015, 15:25
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,308
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,914 Times in 4,090 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
I do hope that in winter-time you are also so passionate about standing around outdoors.
We have lots of nice modern keep-off-the-rain-and-snow, keep-out-of-the-biting-wind bus shelters which are very convenient for smokers and non-smokers alike. I am a non smoker. Sometimes I land up out in the rain, snow, wind. Not passionate about standing around outdoors, but practiced.
Reply With Quote
  #775  
Old 22.09.2015, 16:07
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,061
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
No they don`t. Everywhere indoors is for non-smokers. Now you are asking for the smoking areas too? I do hope that in winter-time you are also so passionate about standing around outdoors.
Isn't that called "Standing in ski-lift queues?"
Reply With Quote
  #776  
Old 22.09.2015, 17:14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
batucada has no particular reputation at present
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Re: Belgianmum, I can't imagine that shopkeepers would want people to smoke around their items, mainly because of the possibility of damage (burns, etc) to their merchandise. But who knows?

I think the whole smoking issue in general is also a matter of what one is used to. Coming from the US rather recently, where smoking is basically banned everywhere and the public service announcements have drilled it into our heads over and over that smoking is dirty/bad for health/only poorly educated people do it/etc., it was jarring to come to a country where people look upon smoking as a basic human right. That's just how it was for me, but obviously, it is a different society with a different outlook, and I've accepted that now. I also have the feeling that the tobacco lobby is quite strong here (and in Austria), and that they kind of gave up on the American market.

On a side note, I was surprised that the US was one of the first non-smoking adopters on the basis of the secondhand smoke hazard to servers, bartenders, and so on, compared to Austria where smoking is still mostly allowed in restaurants and bars!

I remember when they banned smoking in bars and clubs in the US: I actually started going out more.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank batucada for this useful post:
  #777  
Old 22.09.2015, 17:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,039
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,774 Times in 1,950 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Out if interest do the smoking laws apply to the outdoor areas of stores? Does anybody know?

I was in Jumbo on Saturday in their outdoor plants and soil section which has a roof over a part of it but is open in the other part. Two women were standing puffing away on their cigarettes and blowing smoke everywhere whilst blocking the aisle with their trollies. I politely said 'excuse me' (in French) as I wanted to get through but they ignored me (they were speaking French to each other) so I moved their trollies myself and passed by. Walking through a huge cloud of smoke was unpleasant but that wasn't really what annoyed me the most, it was their rudeness.( they moved their trollies back across to block the aisle after I'd passed).

I thought it was forbidden to smoke in stores. I would have asked a member of staff but there was nobody around at the time.
Smoking is forbidden by federal law in all publicly accessible rooms, and in rooms that serve more than one persone as working place. Restaurants with less than 80m2 may allow smoking if they get an approval by the Kanton. Since many Kantons know no such exception, the smoking ban in restaurants is absolute in some but not in all Kantons.

So smoking outside the Jumbo smoking isn't forbidden by the law, but as it's private property the owner/tenant may of course add rules of his own. Actually, I'm very much surprised what you describe isn't acted upon - in case of a fire perhaps insurance may refuse to pay.

With that said, the core of your issue has nothing to do with non-smoking, it's about im/politeness.
Reply With Quote
  #778  
Old 22.09.2015, 17:44
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that called "Standing in ski-lift queues?"
My personal main outdoor smoking gripe. In queues you really can't avoid them and bloody annoying when you want some clean mountain air.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #779  
Old 22.09.2015, 17:45
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,061
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post

With that said, the core of your issue has nothing to do with non-smoking, it's about im/politeness.
There's a certain amount of arrogance with people who smoke in places where it's pretty obvious that they shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
This user groans at Tom1234 for this post:
  #780  
Old 22.09.2015, 17:57
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,211
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,235 Times in 4,919 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Smoking is forbidden by federal law in all publicly accessible rooms, and in rooms that serve more than one persone as working place. Restaurants with less than 80m2 may allow smoking if they get an approval by the Kanton. Since many Kantons know no such exception, the smoking ban in restaurants is absolute in some but not in all Kantons.

So smoking outside the Jumbo smoking isn't forbidden by the law, but as it's private property the owner/tenant may of course add rules of his own. Actually, I'm very much surprised what you describe isn't acted upon - in case of a fire perhaps insurance may refuse to pay.

With that said, the core of your issue has nothing to do with non-smoking, it's about im/politeness.

It was outside in the sense that it was where they sell their outdoor plants etc but it is only accessible via the store so is clearly part of the shop premises so as such to me it just seemed totally wrong.
Maybe a member of staff did come along to stop them but I didn't hang around to find out. I'd be surprised if nobody noticed them as they were surrounded by a fog of smoke.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 22.09.2015 at 18:38.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoking in the balcony :-O jamaicanRUM Complaints corner 156 22.08.2013 15:33
Ch-Ch-Changes - after the Smoking Ban NicM Daily life 14 16.05.2010 14:22
Online Bidding Platforms For Construction btb Commercial 2 26.10.2009 08:07
Smoking in restaurants mark Complaints corner 142 16.08.2008 21:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0