Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 07.01.2015, 16:57
Patsycat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,991
Groaned at 47 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,352 Times in 978 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
Many smokers smoke at small bus stations, particularily the covered sections and practically force the non-smokers out
Which i do not - while waiting for a bus i stand outside the bus stop and let the others cuddle up together for heat. They are usually older people who i would give my seat to anyway. When there is only four seats available.

I am not speaking for smokers in general. Some can be annoying.

But me, as a smoker,I try to curb my addiction as much as possible to entertain your total hissy fits over clothes smelling and passive smoking.

Perhaps, you should find other things to complain about. Than some random person enjoying a wee smoke in public. Because you will never win. Not in Switzerland, anyway. Or any other country. Everywhere there are smokers.

I read the other month that two dogs died from heroin overdoses in a park in Geneva. They had ate the poo of drug addicts under a tree. Perhaps your campaign against anything that is not good for the body should perhaps go in that direction rather than smokers.

At least we don't poo in public.

I would like 2015 to commence with the fact that we all have our little foibles and addictions. And the arguments stop.

But i am sure in a few months there will be someone else complaining about smoking. Perhaps it'll be me!!!

"ah, yuk yuck yuck and she stank eeeuuuuck"!!

Last edited by Patsycat; 07.01.2015 at 17:19.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at Patsycat for this post:
  #362  
Old 07.01.2015, 17:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eglisau, Zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Martin Peter has earned some respectMartin Peter has earned some respect
Re: Smokers on railway stations

You don't seem to be getting much sympathy on this board! Let them eat cake!

Having watched a dear friend die of the most aggressive throat cancer as a result of having smoked most of his life, many of these folks may live to regret the habit.

You have my support.......there's a correlation between smoking and the national psyche in Switzerland!

See attached articles :-

http://www.unige.ch/fapse/psychosoci...omirpubli.html

My advise is always stand up-wind on a station platform or at a bus stop.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 07.01.2015, 20:52
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,915
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
I read the other month that two dogs died from heroin overdoses in a park in Geneva. They had ate the poo of drug addicts under a tree. Perhaps your campaign against anything that is not good for the body should perhaps go in that direction rather than smokers.
I couldn't agree with you more...




... poo-eating dog cull!!!
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 07.01.2015, 20:54
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
There will never be any peace, anywhere, amongst us smokers and you non smokers.

We have been banished from trains, planes and restaurants and some homes because we enjoy our cigs.

Is that not enough? Have you "cough cough" i'm alergic to smoke people not won your battle?

I, also, am a considerate smoker. I do not blow smoke into peoples faces at bus stops - if the wind is blowing their way i move places, i do not smoke around children, nor the elderly. My non smoking friends put up with it.

So, what is the problem?

The Problem is a wider one. On 31stDEC 2400 plus a few minutes, I sat in a tram, and tolerated that a chap lit a cigarette. Within 2 minutes about five persons started Smoking. Tolerance is NOT appreciated at all. I next time will start to talk about phoning the Police.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #365  
Old 07.01.2015, 21:12
Tasebo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wald, Zurich/Stockholm
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,263 Times in 645 Posts
Tasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Our daughter was 10 and son 7, and very aware that they lost a grandfather aged 65 to combination of aggressive lung cancer and prostate cancer. He was a smoker, and a medical doctor, so it wasn't as if he didn't know better.

Now ages 15 and 12, they are the first to complain about smokers on the platforms (Stadelhofen is a frequently used station for us). Should I tell them not to complain and focus on something else instead

Apologies, my quoting went lopsided, but point the same.

Quote:
View Post
Which i do not - while waiting for a bus i stand outside the bus stop and let the others cuddle up together for heat. They are usually older people who i would give my seat to anyway. When there is only four seats available.

I am not speaking for smokers in general. Some can be annoying.

But me, as a smoker,I try to curb my addiction as much as possible to entertain your total hissy fits over clothes smelling and passive smoking.

Perhaps, you should find other things to complain about. Than some random person enjoying a wee smoke in public. Because you will never win. Not in Switzerland, anyway. Or any other country. Everywhere there are smokers.

I read the other month that two dogs died from heroin overdoses in a park in Geneva. They had ate the poo of drug addicts under a tree. Perhaps your campaign against anything that is not good for the body should perhaps go in that direction rather than smokers.

At least we don't poo in public.

I would like 2015 to commence with the fact that we all have our little foibles and addictions. And the arguments stop.

But i am sure in a few months there will be someone else complaining about smoking. Perhaps it'll be me!!!

"ah, yuk yuck yuck and she stank eeeuuuuck"!!

Last edited by Tasebo; 07.01.2015 at 23:30.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tasebo for this useful post:
  #366  
Old 07.01.2015, 23:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
Our daughter was 10 and son 7, and very aware that they lost a grandfather aged 65 to combination of aggressive lung cancer and prostate cancer. He was a smoker, and a medical doctor, so it wasn't as if he didn't know better.

Now ages 15 and 12, they are the first to complain about smokers on the platforms (Stadelhofen is a frequently used station for us). Should I tell them not to complain and focus on something else instead

Apologies, my quoting went lopsided, but point the same.

[/B]QUOTE=Patsycat;2313491]Which i do not - while waiting for a bus i stand outside the bus stop and let the others cuddle up together for heat. They are usually older people who i would give my seat to anyway. When there is only four seats available.

I am not speaking for smokers in general. Some can be annoying.

But me, as a smoker,I try to curb my addiction as much as possible to entertain your total hissy fits over clothes smelling and passive smoking.

Perhaps, you should find other things to complain about. Than some random person enjoying a wee smoke in public. Because you will never win. Not in Switzerland, anyway. Or any other country. Everywhere there are smokers.

I read the other month that two dogs died from heroin overdoses in a park in Geneva. They had ate the poo of drug addicts under a tree. Perhaps your campaign against anything that is not good for the body should perhaps go in that direction rather than smokers.

At least we don't poo in public.

I would like 2015 to commence with the fact that we all have our little foibles and addictions. And the arguments stop.

But i am sure in a few months there will be someone else complaining about smoking. Perhaps it'll be me!!!

"ah, yuk yuck yuck and she stank eeeuuuuck"!!
OT: You might want to delete what I bolded to get the quoting right
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #367  
Old 07.01.2015, 23:25
Clumsy Maman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 701
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 932 Times in 419 Posts
Clumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Not all smokers at train stations are selfish or ignorant, but I sure do see quite a few, who, in my opinion, are. Those Vicky Pollard-types have no courtesy at all and don't think that puffing in the direction of children is just dangerous! I feel specially sorry for their kids, who are breathing in all that smoke, while they are strapped in their buggies.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 07.01.2015, 23:37
Tasebo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wald, Zurich/Stockholm
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,263 Times in 645 Posts
Tasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Perhaps train platforms could have Camel lounges like the airport? Then everyone emerging would board the same carriage and leave their stench. It is a good thing the train stations and bus-stops are well-staffed with cleaning gnomes, can't imagine the general population would tolerate the environmental impact of all the butts lying around after 2-3 drags before boarding.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 08.01.2015, 00:02
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
The Problem is a wider one. On 31stDEC 2400 plus a few minutes, I sat in a tram, and tolerated that a chap lit a cigarette. Within 2 minutes about five persons started Smoking. Tolerance is NOT appreciated at all. I next time will start to talk about phoning the Police.
Happy New Year Wollifshofener

On the one hand grateful on New Year you did not bother Police. On the other hand, neither my OH or self have traveled much on public transport, except to say have never seen anyone smoke on Public Transport in Switzerland since law changed. I guess if we did on similiar date, we would turn a blind eye.

all good wishes
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 08.01.2015, 00:21
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,954
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,569 Times in 5,005 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
Happy New Year Wollifshofener

On the one hand grateful on New Year you did not bother Police. On the other hand, neither my OH or self have traveled much on public transport, except to say have never seen anyone smoke on Public Transport in Switzerland since law changed. I guess if we did on similiar date, we would turn a blind eye.

all good wishes
I've actually seen it happen quite a few times. Twice in a bus and a couple of times on trains.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #371  
Old 08.01.2015, 00:30
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,066
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
I've actually seen it happen quite a few times. Twice in a bus and a couple of times on trains.
Pity I wasn't there and had a pump action with me.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 13.01.2015, 14:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 659
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 495 Times in 260 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: Smokers on railway stations

And in toilets. It shocks me that people can't even be bothered to walk outside to smoke, they do it in the toilet instead. (I've even seen it at places with a fumoir, where the fumoir is literally next to the toilets...)
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 13.01.2015, 14:51
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,066
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
And in toilets. It shocks me that people can't even be bothered to walk outside to smoke, they do it in the toilet instead. (I've even seen it at places with a fumoir, where the fumoir is literally next to the toilets...)
Toilets are a good place to smoke, as they are vented.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 13.01.2015, 14:56
Patsycat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,991
Groaned at 47 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,352 Times in 978 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

And the toilets are where we usually did it in the ever so revered International School of Geneva.

Until one of the teachers came in and took our cigs off us - and she was a smoker. She must have had at least a months free cigs in her bag!!! Every day.

Five or ten packs of Marlboro a day... "I'll take those" and off she pottered to smoke behind the chemistry lab.

After that we went off campus - and were free to do whatever we wanted. We weren't young, we were 16, 17 at the time.


As i have argued about is the fact that i enjoy smoking. The day i don't i shall stop. Probably do it cold turkey like my dad did.

I haven't seen anyone smoke on a tram or bus in Geneva in decades - must be a Zurich thing. But i did get a nice sniff of marijuana the other day!!

Last edited by Patsycat; 13.01.2015 at 15:14.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Patsycat for this useful post:
  #375  
Old 13.01.2015, 16:13
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,048
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,164 Times in 5,748 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
Toilets are a good place to smoke, as they are vented.

Tom
The ones at the Chilbi we went to weren't. Someone was smoking in one of the cubicles and the whole place was full of smoke.

I had to take my two youngest to the loo so was in there for quite a time.
But when we had finished, I filled up a container with water and tipped it up over the cubicle door all over the smoker.

I did shout "Feuer" at the same time.

Toilets are not a good place to smoke.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #376  
Old 13.01.2015, 17:28
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,060
Groaned at 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 647 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
And the toilets are where we usually did it in the ever so revered International School of Geneva.

Until one of the teachers came in and took our cigs off us - and she was a smoker. She must have had at least a months free cigs in her bag!!! Every day.

Five or ten packs of Marlboro a day... "I'll take those" and off she pottered to smoke behind the chemistry lab.

After that we went off campus - and were free to do whatever we wanted. We weren't young, we were 16, 17 at the time.


As i have argued about is the fact that i enjoy smoking. The day i don't i shall stop. Probably do it cold turkey like my dad did.

I haven't seen anyone smoke on a tram or bus in Geneva in decades - must be a Zurich thing. But i did get a nice sniff of marijuana the other day!!
You enjoy smoking so much that you'll do it in a toilet?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #377  
Old 13.01.2015, 17:37
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,958
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,561 Times in 5,402 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

When the law banning inside smoking was made, people started smoking near the building entrances, then the bad weather came and they moved downstairs to the underground car parks. This creates a big fire risk, as fuel tanks might be leaking. I don't understand why the police do not take action.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #378  
Old 13.01.2015, 18:17
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
When the law banning inside smoking was made, people started smoking near the building entrances, then the bad weather came and they moved downstairs to the underground car parks. This creates a big fire risk, as fuel tanks might be leaking. I don't understand why the police do not take action.
Which is creating the fire hazard - the smoking or the leaking fuel tank? I guess the police would be more concerned with the dodgy car.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Jern for this useful post:
  #379  
Old 13.01.2015, 19:08
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,066
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

Quote:
View Post
You enjoy smoking so much that you'll do it in a toilet?
My wife often does at home.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 14.01.2015, 14:47
Patsycat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,991
Groaned at 47 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,352 Times in 978 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smokers on railway stations

When i was 16 i smoked in the toilets at school. And at home.

Nowadays i smoke whereever i want. there is no law against me smoking in my own home or outside a restaurant. At my mum's we are allowed to smoke in the kitchen with the window open. The only time me and my sister and brother were allowed to smoke in her living room was when my dad died. And that was strange, having been used to going to the kitchen.

And, as i have said, i am polite about it.

Ask Angela, we met for a drink. I smoked, outside, one cigarette in 2 hours. In fact i puffed two times, put the cig back in the pack and re-smoked it later. After that lovely cat got off my knee.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smokers' odor KeinFranzösisch General off-topic 32 16.11.2011 23:06
Wallet stolen at Lausanne railway stations alfred007 Daily life 42 08.11.2010 21:44
"Personenunfall" on SBB railway MrVertigo Daily life 40 22.10.2010 14:39
Swiss TV stations on satellite? aceq TV/internet/telephone 7 21.12.2009 11:13
Migros 54 CHF 1 day SBB travel card for 2 people. Is it valid on Pilatus railway empeppa Transportation/driving 1 18.07.2009 03:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0