Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 19.07.2012, 14:20
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,576
Groaned at 537 Times in 345 Posts
Thanked 11,612 Times in 4,685 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
One of the side effects of a low crime country: Bored police.
Come again?

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/bas...id1966508.html

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ber...id1967280.html

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/wes...id1966905.html

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/ostschweiz/story/12543180

http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/schweiz/zw...gen-1.17325062

http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/schweiz/zw...gen-1.17325062

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/zuerich/...teilt-11467634


...etc.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 19.07.2012, 14:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 60
Groaned at 89 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
mikebaxter is considered unworthymikebaxter is considered unworthymikebaxter is considered unworthymikebaxter is considered unworthy
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Zurich and Luzern police are well known for these tactics.
Switzerland is a special form of democracy where the confederate tactics of the past play an important role today.

Like is or not, as a foreigner you are a 2nd class citizen here and the judge will most likely rule against you.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 19.07.2012, 15:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 3,415
Groaned at 430 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,341 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
It's not nice is it. But it doesn't just happen here it happens in all European countries. it's easy for the police to do it this way. I'm sure the same thing occurs to Europeans in countries such as Iran, but there they are looking for people to hang!!
Exactly.

My brother (white skin) is married to a Nigerian girl (black skin). He often travels there and tell me he is regularly picked up by customs, his luggage checked*

*unless he "tip them off" immediately after being called...

The "officials" identify someone as foreigner and abuse it's happening everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 19.07.2012, 15:25
Leafy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ...
Posts: 905
Groaned at 89 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 1,458 Times in 560 Posts
Leafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Come again?
Like I can be arsed to wade through a collection of Blick & 20 Copy&Paste pieces

Care to summarize? - although I pretty much know what they're probably about tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 19.07.2012, 18:03
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,098
Groaned at 137 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 13,080 Times in 5,584 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Like I can be arsed to wade through a collection of Blick & 20 Copy&Paste pieces

Care to summarize? - although I pretty much know what they're probably about tbh.
I haven't read any of them, but knowing LiB, they're probably all in support of his pet theory that Switzerland is one of the most dangerous and criminal countries on Earth, but that it's all being swept under the carpet to maintain the squeaky clean image.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #106  
Old 16.04.2016, 08:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thequinner has no particular reputation at present
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Nobody has posted on this thread in a while, but I thought I would since I have noticed racial profiling twice within the past several weeks. Both times, the people in blue uniforms who check tickets entered the tram, walked past a whole bunch of white people - including me and my wife - to the only black person(s) on the train and asked for their ticket.

I come from the USA, the most heavily policed country in the world, and more specifically Los Angeles (South-Central LA to be even more specific, where NWA is from), which during the 1990s had one of the most corrupted police forces in the country. Racial profiling is illegal now there because when you only stop black people, of course you will find that more black people are doing illegal things. That is NOT the reality though. Just as many white people are driving dangerously, speeding, drug dealing, driving while drunk, etc etc. It is wrong, it is immoral, and it only contributes to the alienation of foreigners.

This country needs foreigners - especially the ones who work in the worst jobs. There are many low-paying jobs that Swiss people are way overqualified for and its important to have a large pool of underqualified workers. But this is a big problem because multiculturalism will NEVER work if you alienate everybody that looks different. We should cherish those differences instead of punishing people just because they look a little dark-skinned.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 18.04.2016, 19:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 30
Groaned at 38 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
scala is considered a nuisancescala is considered a nuisancescala is considered a nuisance
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Nobody has posted on this thread in a while, but I thought I would since I have noticed racial profiling twice within the past several weeks. Both times, the people in blue uniforms who check tickets entered the tram, walked past a whole bunch of white people - including me and my wife - to the only black person(s) on the train and asked for their ticket.

I come from the USA, the most heavily policed country in the world, and more specifically Los Angeles (South-Central LA to be even more specific, where NWA is from), which during the 1990s had one of the most corrupted police forces in the country. Racial profiling is illegal now there because when you only stop black people, of course you will find that more black people are doing illegal things. That is NOT the reality though. Just as many white people are driving dangerously, speeding, drug dealing, driving while drunk, etc etc. It is wrong, it is immoral, and it only contributes to the alienation of foreigners.

This country needs foreigners - especially the ones who work in the worst jobs. There are many low-paying jobs that Swiss people are way overqualified for and its important to have a large pool of underqualified workers. But this is a big problem because multiculturalism will NEVER work if you alienate everybody that looks different. We should cherish those differences instead of punishing people just because they look a little dark-skinned.
When I first came to Switzerland, It was reported that a black person had been assaulted by a policemen during his arrest for shoplifting. The cameras clearly show the cop kicking and punching the black guy who was already down. When it came to court the policeman was given a 1000 chf fine for assault and the black guy got 20 days in prison for shoplifting a packet of biscuits. No wonder there are more non swiss in the prisons than swiss
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank scala for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at scala for this post:
  #108  
Old 18.04.2016, 19:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 969
Groaned at 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,050 Times in 490 Posts
ZuriRollt has an excellent reputationZuriRollt has an excellent reputationZuriRollt has an excellent reputationZuriRollt has an excellent reputation
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post

This country needs foreigners - especially the ones who work in the worst jobs. There are many low-paying jobs that Swiss people are way overqualified for and its important to have a large pool of underqualified workers. But this is a big problem because multiculturalism will NEVER work if you alienate everybody that looks different. We should cherish those differences instead of punishing people just because they look a little dark-skinned.

Tidjane Thiam at Credit Suisse is a shining example to illustrate your point .

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/...ane-thiam.html
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #109  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:05
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 30
Groaned at 38 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
scala is considered a nuisancescala is considered a nuisancescala is considered a nuisance
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Tidjane Thiam at Credit Suisse is a shining example to illustrate your point .

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/...ane-thiam.html
Yet during the days around his announcement, how often did i read in the comments section of various swiss online newspapers that a guy like "him" should not be leading a major swiss bank.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at scala for this post:
  #110  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 16,284
Groaned at 835 Times in 640 Posts
Thanked 16,833 Times in 8,228 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
multiculturalism will NEVER work
I agree 100%!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #111  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:33
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,086
Groaned at 949 Times in 726 Posts
Thanked 37,041 Times in 11,662 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Yet during the days around his announcement, how often did i read in the comments section of various swiss online newspapers that a guy like "him" should not be leading a major swiss bank.
Yeah, lots of people feel that way about the French.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #112  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:42
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 8,688
Groaned at 193 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 15,105 Times in 5,559 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Yet during the days around his announcement, how often did i read in the comments section of various swiss online newspapers that a guy like "him" should not be leading a major swiss bank.
Many people still think this way, but most are not referring to his skin color... but rather this:

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #113  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:42
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,184
Groaned at 59 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,158 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
I come from the USA, the most heavily policed country in the world, and more specifically Los Angeles (South-Central LA to be even more specific, where NWA is from), which during the 1990s had one of the most corrupted police forces in the country. Racial profiling is illegal now there because when you only stop black people, of course you will find that more black people are doing illegal things. That is NOT the reality though. Just as many white people are driving dangerously, speeding, drug dealing, driving while drunk, etc etc. It is wrong, it is immoral, and it only contributes to the alienation of foreigners.
So it is a complete coincidence that your chance of being imprisoned in the US is roughly 7 times greater if you are black than if you are white?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #114  
Old 20.04.2016, 03:46
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 10
Groaned at 14 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Valentino miki is considered unworthyValentino miki is considered unworthyValentino miki is considered unworthy
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

The police are swiss nationals so there u have tit. The same as most the swiss say 3/4, always judging by colour. My friend who is white always goes by train without paying and no control asks him, but me no no. So I never sit with my friend in the same chair coz then they will ask as both for tickets. Maybe this is your first incident, but for me................... immer,
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at Valentino miki for this post:
  #115  
Old 20.04.2016, 05:16
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 500
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 842 Times in 326 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
The police are swiss nationals so there u have tit. The same as most the swiss say 3/4, always judging by colour. My friend who is white always goes by train without paying and no control asks him, but me no no. So I never sit with my friend in the same chair coz then they will ask as both for tickets. Maybe this is your first incident, but for me................... immer,

In the 27 years I have been here I have only ever seen the conductors check ALL passengers tickets, on trains, trams and busses. I have NEVER seen selective ticket controls. Perhaps things are different in Fribourg
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #116  
Old 20.04.2016, 05:17
donpiedro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 386
Groaned at 21 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 472 Times in 197 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
My friend who is white always goes by train without paying and no control asks him, but me no no.

Stop victimizing yourself. I'm "white" and get checked on the train to work every single day.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank donpiedro for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 20.04.2016, 07:50
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,479
Groaned at 131 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 11,416 Times in 4,694 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
The police are swiss nationals so there u have tit. The same as most the swiss say 3/4, always judging by colour. My friend who is white always goes by train without paying and no control asks him, but me no no. So I never sit with my friend in the same chair coz then they will ask as both for tickets. Maybe this is your first incident, but for me................... immer,
Perhaps they're friends of some bikers? Gangs of motorbikes and a car
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #118  
Old 20.04.2016, 08:05
greenmount's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 4,674
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,898 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Quote:
View Post
Nobody has posted on this thread in a while, but I thought I would since I have noticed racial profiling twice within the past several weeks. Both times, the people in blue uniforms who check tickets entered the tram, walked past a whole bunch of white people - including me and my wife - to the only black person(s) on the train and asked for their ticket.

I come from the USA, the most heavily policed country in the world, and more specifically Los Angeles (South-Central LA to be even more specific, where NWA is from), which during the 1990s had one of the most corrupted police forces in the country. Racial profiling is illegal now there because when you only stop black people, of course you will find that more black people are doing illegal things. That is NOT the reality though. Just as many white people are driving dangerously, speeding, drug dealing, driving while drunk, etc etc. It is wrong, it is immoral, and it only contributes to the alienation of foreigners.

This country needs foreigners - especially the ones who work in the worst jobs. There are many low-paying jobs that Swiss people are way overqualified for and its important to have a large pool of underqualified workers. But this is a big problem because multiculturalism will NEVER work if you alienate everybody that looks different. We should cherish those differences instead of punishing people just because they look a little dark-skinned.
While you may have a point re. police's racial profiling, the example with tram tickets inspectors is total BS. They ask everyone in the tram...why would they bother to inspect trams or trains for the odd one or two black persons who might happen to travel at that time.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #119  
Old 20.04.2016, 08:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 91 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 5,185 Times in 1,933 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

Not always. Basel Stadt police accept recruits with C permits.

Quote:
View Post
The police are swiss nationals
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #120  
Old 20.04.2016, 08:17
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 8,676
Groaned at 315 Times in 253 Posts
Thanked 14,984 Times in 5,722 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charming Swiss Police Behaviour...Again.

We are currently in the process of having the kitchen renovated - in fact 2 rooms were gutted - with new windows and doors, plastering etc etc. This has meant we have the full range of trades work on the place. All of them, with one exception, have been polite, tidy and delivered a very very high quality of work.

The exception? That'll be the non-Swiss plasterers who:
- used the parquet recycling bucket (with please don't use as a bin plastered over it) as a bin
- parked on the neighbor's drive and were asked to move the car twice!
- failed to seal off a room when removing plaster (spreading dust round the entire house)
- have left a "poor" finish (according to the painter who is now in - and has been asked by the project manager to write a report on the new plaster work) on the ceiling
- the corners are uneven
- the walls feature splodges, dents and scrapes

Calling them "blood foreigners" would be racist if it was based on their nationality - but in this case it is based on their inability to work to the level expected of them on a "high-end" project.
__________________
Helping to make EF the #1 friendliest forum on the planet since 2016
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USA once again headed toward Police State musings International affairs/politics 83 16.12.2011 17:42
A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour? markandsona Daily life 162 18.07.2011 16:49
Strange behaviour on a Swiss train. (Girls, have you ever done anything like this?) grumpygrapefruit Daily life 114 07.04.2011 15:24
Warm, charming, generous and open-minded Swiss family is seeking a care-giver/babysit Maple Lady Jobs offered 0 14.03.2011 21:20
Strange police car behaviour??? OZHK Other/general 6 06.02.2011 14:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0