Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10.11.2012, 13:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,408
Groaned at 369 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 22,412 Times in 10,086 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

If you find SBB prices ridiculous - try the UK system - well the UK NO system!!! (Thank you Mrs Thatcher (: )
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 10.11.2012, 13:09
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,458
Groaned at 309 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 1,248 Times in 615 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
If you still believe in ''quality'' (ratio price/quality) of SBB just please name one thing that is better at SBB when compared to other transit networks in europe which are 60-80% cheaper
your trip is not a national journey hence the cost...

but the services that SBB provides within Switzerland is unchallenged in Europe...highest price/quality ratio! The rest of europe is terrible in comparison...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank OSueco for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 10.11.2012, 14:47
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,762
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,998 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
If you find SBB prices ridiculous - try the UK system - well the UK NO system!!! (Thank you Mrs Thatcher (: )
Surely Dr. Beeching has a certain responsibilty....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 10.11.2012, 15:00
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,227 Times in 598 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Explain this one to me. I have a "Half Tax" card, but the regular bus fare to my village is 3.40 and my "half tax" card makes the trip 2.20. How is that half?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that 2.20 CHF is the minimum fare. So anything where the full fare is less than 4.40 will be 2.20 with Halbtax.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10.11.2012, 15:20
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,063 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
I plan to travel from Lausanne to Frankfurt airport on 25th of October at 8:45...
Price quote SBB--> Without GA card 155CHF.-
Price quote SBB--> With GA card(~3300CHF to get one with free CH travelling and 25% supposed reduction in DB) 69 CHF!!!!!
Price quote of DB--> No card..49 euros! (

If you still believe in ''quality'' (ratio price/quality) of SBB just please name one thing that is better at SBB when compared to other transit networks in europe which are 60-80% cheaper
Just to point out that the 49 euros mentioned above is a special fare which you need to by from DB, so it is not a like with like comparison! There seem to be lots of different offers available at the moment for international rail travel, so you need to do a lot checking before you buy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 10.11.2012, 17:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,408
Groaned at 369 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 22,412 Times in 10,086 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Beeching closed so many lines, but he never split the system the way Mrs T did! You try and book a long journey in the UK and it is a total nightmare

Brilliant here that SBB/CFF will give you a totally integrated itinerary, with combined train and bus times, ticket and price. In the town where I lived in the UK, the bus station and the train station were at opposite ends of town without connection, only by taxi! And just for buses there were 3 separate companies- so if you bought a day ticket with one, you couldn't use the others. Talk about p*** up in a brewery
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12.11.2012, 15:29
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Beeching closed so many lines, but he never split the system the way Mrs T did! You try and book a long journey in the UK and it is a total nightmare
Beeching was a bean counter who knew the price of everything but the value of nothing. He was backed by a government with a political agenda needing to sell more cars. In other circles such things are called corruption or selling the family sîlver.

I wouldn't agree that Beeching didn't split the system, as in earlier days the railways operated many of the rural bus routes as railway buses and you could get through tickets and there were connections and principal bus routes were printed on the BR maps and timetables. Beeching spun the buses off to separate companies, which Thatcher then later privatised.

Here is a railway bus of the GWR (Great Western Railway) as would have been typical in the 1930s.

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12.11.2012, 15:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,408
Groaned at 369 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 22,412 Times in 10,086 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Beeching was a bean counter who knew the price of everything but the value of nothing. He was backed by a government with a political agenda needing to sell more cars. In other circles such things are called corruption or selling the family sîlver.

I wouldn't agree that Beeching didn't split the system, as in earlier days the railways operated many of the rural bus routes as railway buses and you could get through tickets and there were connections and principal bus routes were printed on the BR maps and timetables. Beeching spun the buses off to separate companies, which Thatcher then later privatised.

Here is a railway bus of the GWR (Great Western Railway) as would have been typical in the 1930s.

Agreed, the GWR is very close to our heart- as OH's great uncle was one of their Chief train designers. Was just saying that Mrs T was the final reaper.

Last edited by Odile; 21.05.2013 at 11:49.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21.05.2013, 01:22
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

So I asked the SBB ticket counter yesterday:
If I have an all canton Zurich pass (alle zonen) and an all canton Zug pass (alle zonen) I should be OK to take a train from Zurich to Zug, right?

Answer NO.

Yup thats right you have a full pass for both cantons but you still need to purchase a ticket for the trip from Zurich to Zug.

But it gets more interesting hehe. There are 2 tracks going to Zug from Zurich. One over Knonau, and one over Thalwil. I was then told that If you take the line going over Knonau, then you dont need to purchase a ticket, but taking the Thalwil stretch you do. The reason: Knonau is a stop on the border of both cantons and Thalwil isnt. In both cases the the same area (zones if you like) are covered.

The logic astounds me. But Im already used to it so was just a funny thing worth mentioning.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank piazza for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 21.05.2013, 01:30
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
So I asked the SBB ticket counter yesterday:
If I have an all canton Zurich pass (alle zonen) and an all canton Zug pass (alle zonen) I should be OK to take a train from Zurich to Zug, right?

Answer NO.

Yup thats right you have a full pass for both cantons but you still need to purchase a ticket for the trip from Zurich to Zug.

But it gets more interesting hehe. There are 2 tracks going to Zug from Zurich. One over Knonau, and one over Thalwil. I was then told that If you take the line going over Knonau, then you dont need to purchase a ticket, but taking the Thalwil stretch you do. The reason: Knonau is a stop on the border of both cantons and Thalwil isnt. In both cases the the same area (zones if you like) are covered.

The logic astounds me. But Im already used to it so was just a funny thing worth mentioning.
The information you received is slightly wrong - you need to have a ticket from the last station in 1 zone to the first station in the next. This would mean needing 3 tickets for your journey

IE you have your zurich pass to the last stopping station
your last stopping station in zurich to first stopping station in zug
your zug pass
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 21.05.2013, 01:42
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
The information you received is slightly wrong - you need to have a ticket from the last station in 1 zone to the first station in the next. This would mean needing 3 tickets for your journey

IE you have your zurich pass to the last stopping station
your last stopping station in zurich to first stopping station in zug
your zug pass
Still isnt any more logical
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21.05.2013, 01:48
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Still isnt any more logical
I never suggested it was!!

I **think** their logic is that you have to go from a station in one zone to a station in another - once there your car is valid. Knonau has a foot in each - so in theory you could get off the train on your Zurich pass and back on with your Zug one.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21.05.2013, 02:58
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,063 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
I never suggested it was!!

I **think** their logic is that you have to go from a station in one zone to a station in another - once there your car is valid. Knonau has a foot in each - so in theory you could get off the train on your Zurich pass and back on with your Zug one.
Yes, but this is the same for all passes, not just Swiss ones! For instance a tourist who buys a pass for say Italy and Switzerland still needs to buy a ticket from the last station where the train stops in one country to the first station where the train stop in the other country.

I have heard of this one a few times, seem to be standard train logic!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 21.05.2013, 08:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Easy way to think about it: draw lines for each section of track that zug ticket is valid. Same for zurich ticket. Look at it and see if the route you want is unbroken.

in the case where you have a station which falls under both zones, then you have an unbroken route. otherwise, there will be a gap between the last station in one zone and the first station in the other. neither ticket covers the route between these two stations.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 21.05.2013 at 11:04.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 21.05.2013, 09:53
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Easy way to think about it: draw lines for each section of track that zug ticket is valid. Same for zurich ticket. Look at it and see if the route you want is unbroken.
Given its a zonal system, id say in total its unbroken. When you purchase a ticket Zug-zurich or vice versa the ticket doesnt display "zrh-zug". It simply displays the zones that you pass through in zurich and the zones you pass through in zug.

I Believe that there are 3 zurich zones listed and 3 zug zones. So basically the ticket just contains 6 three digit numbers. No city names. Having one ticket with the required 3 zones of zurich and another with the 3 required zones of zug isn't valid but having all 6 on one ticket is valid. This is despite the fact the the cost is exactly the same if purchased separately or on one ticket. So in essence SBB doesnt lose any money by allowing the 2 ticket option.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank piazza for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 21.05.2013, 11:01
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,862
Groaned at 170 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,985 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
Still isnt any more logical
Quote:
View Post
I never suggested it was!!

I **think** their logic is that you have to go from a station in one zone to a station in another - once there your car is valid. Knonau has a foot in each - so in theory you could get off the train on your Zurich pass and back on with your Zug one.
I think you guys must have missed Logic 101. This is a perfect example of an absolute rigid, almost Spock-like, application of logic. To suggest that it's lacking in logic implies that you don't know actually know what the word means.

Now "common sense" may suggest that you could just travel straight through with the two passes, but logic will always point out the missing bit in the middle.

And if you think it's unfair, you should look at the pricing structure on the British railway network these days, where there are instances where getting off a train and re-boarding at the same platform is now officially disallowed, as it's seen as an illegal cost-cutting device to combine two cheaper regional fares into a more expensive national one.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 21.05.2013, 11:55
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

Quote:
View Post
I think you guys must have missed Logic 101. This is a perfect example of an absolute rigid, almost Spock-like, application of logic. To suggest that it's lacking in logic implies that you don't know actually know what the word means.

Now "common sense" may suggest that you could just travel straight through with the two passes, but logic will always point out the missing bit in the middle.

And if you think it's unfair, you should look at the pricing structure on the British railway network these days, where there are instances where getting off a train and re-boarding at the same platform is now officially disallowed, as it's seen as an illegal cost-cutting device to combine two cheaper regional fares into a more expensive national one.
See my last post. There is no price difference, so not quite comparable to the UK regional tiks.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21.05.2013, 14:42
KevNice's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cham
Posts: 82
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 93 Times in 32 Posts
KevNice is considered knowledgeableKevNice is considered knowledgeableKevNice is considered knowledgeable
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

hmm I wonder if the OP ever taken the SNCF?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank KevNice for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 21.05.2013, 15:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
tryingtolikech has earned some respecttryingtolikech has earned some respect
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

I think the SBB is a paragon of engineering and logistics coordination. Any connection from one part of the country to the other is seamless (barring any weird incidents, e.g. tunnels being blocked or accidents).

So, I am very willing to compromise (weird rules, high prices). That said, I have been stung by "stupid" rules myself a couple of times. But I am learning!

To the OP: You might want to consider buying a GA, it might be worth it!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tryingtolikech for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 22.05.2013, 10:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 537
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 195 Posts
catandmouse has earned some respectcatandmouse has earned some respect
Re: SBB is just ridiculous...

More SBB logic - there was a story in 20 Minutes yesterday of someone who has an abo Nyon - Genève, but who needed to get to Genève Aéroport. She therefore needed a ticket Genève - Genève Aéroport.
The ticket machine at Nyon insisted on selling her an SBB ticket costing 6.00 CHF. The SBB mobile apps are obviously more intelligent and offered a Unireso ticket at 3.50 CHF!
Would be interesting to know what the counter staff at Nyon would have offered?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
public, sbb, transport




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Basel utterly lame or is it just me? carlottina Daily life 57 13.04.2014 11:29
sbb man just went ape Phil_MCR Daily life 29 09.09.2011 09:36
Finding a place to live in Geneva is ridiculous! rockjeebiz Housing in general 11 12.05.2011 14:03
Is there a move towards less positions where just English is okay? colinwheeler Employment 9 09.02.2011 12:11
Is your postman really all that hot? or is this just another myth ... Sada General off-topic 31 29.01.2010 00:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0