Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 26.05.2016, 12:03
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,058
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,583 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a bit harsh. The poster here is talking about wanting to give something but not being able to because the forum rules don't permit. (I've also taken a look at his thread and it's quite a generous giveaway). Even if not, I've noticed a number of forum members who take a lot and give back nothing - taking nothing and giving nothing seems preferable to me...

I never got the post count requirement for free stuff to be honest.
Don´t worry, OP made the 10 and can now share whatever he/she wants
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #522  
Old 26.05.2016, 12:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,193
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,679 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I think this is a bit harsh. The poster here is talking about wanting to give something but not being able to because the forum rules don't permit. (I've also taken a look at his thread and it's quite a generous giveaway). Even if not, I've noticed a number of forum members who take a lot and give back nothing - taking nothing and giving nothing seems preferable to me...

I never got the post count requirement for free stuff to be honest.
The point that you missed was not that he is giving away free stuff, but instead his reasoning for not having posted.

And no it's not the end of the world, and yes there are worse examples on the forum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #523  
Old 28.05.2016, 11:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Baden
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Bingg has earned some respectBingg has earned some respect
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
There are two sides of the coin of course.

I think that some newbies don't exactly help their cause due to the way with which they carry themselves during their first few posts. I think we've all seen a number of stroppy newbies that throw their toys out of their pram when they're not getting exactly what they demanded. In fact this happens so often that I think that newbies are presumed to be guilty until they've proven themselves otherwise. Not a good situation really.

In short the best approach to a newbies question would be to answer it, provide a relevant link to another thread on the subject, or if the question requires more information ask the newbie for it.

If you really can't avoid being sarcastic and insulting to a newbies innocent question then just ignore it.

As if moving to Switzerland, the land of the cold shoulder, wasn't hard enough that you have to "prove" yourself to and online forum? I understand what you are saying - people sometimes take the lazy way out by just asking a vague question without seeing if there is an answer first, but come on. I've been watching this forum since well before I moved here (about 3 years). Do I have newbie status - yes. Why? Because of the exact reason that is being complained about in this post. I don't post often because of the snarky backlash that usually comes with a post.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Bingg for this useful post:
  #524  
Old 28.05.2016, 12:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,193
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,679 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
As if moving to Switzerland, the land of the cold shoulder, wasn't hard enough that you have to "prove" yourself to and online forum? I understand what you are saying - people sometimes take the lazy way out by just asking a vague question without seeing if there is an answer first, but come on. I've been watching this forum since well before I moved here (about 3 years). Do I have newbie status - yes. Why? Because of the exact reason that is being complained about in this post. I don't post often because of the snarky backlash that usually comes with a post.
3 whole years and no posting because you were worried about a meaningless snarky reply from anonymous people you don't even know? Diddums.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #525  
Old 28.05.2016, 12:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Baden
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Bingg has earned some respectBingg has earned some respect
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
3 whole years and no posting because you were worried about a meaningless snarky reply from anonymous people you don't even know? Diddums.
Thanks for illustrating my point even further, Richdog. But yes, people I don't even know - so why bother if this is the response that one is going to get?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Bingg for this useful post:
  #526  
Old 28.05.2016, 12:23
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for illustrating my point even further, Richdog. But yes, people I don't even know - so why bother if this is the response that one is going to get?
Well yes, why bother indeed? If you don't want to take part in open, public, online discussions then why join an open, public, online discussion forum?

You're free to continue to make use of all the valuable information EF can provide without joining in if that's what you want, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #527  
Old 28.05.2016, 14:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Staefa
Posts: 21
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Patagonia is considered unworthyPatagonia is considered unworthyPatagonia is considered unworthyPatagonia is considered unworthy
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

I agree that there is a difference in treatment among users. Veterans can post whatever they want, same small group of people are commenting and adding value. However there're many people making impolite comments. Admin decides to ban you if you are not a regular poster. Why?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Patagonia for this post:
  #528  
Old 28.05.2016, 14:19
FuriousRose's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: nearby the lake
Posts: 849
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 890 Times in 424 Posts
FuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
... Admin decides to ban you if you are not a regular poster. Why?
I've never seen it happening here. Do you mean another forum?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FuriousRose for this useful post:
  #529  
Old 28.05.2016, 14:25
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,607
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,742 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
..... I don't post often because of the snarky backlash that usually comes with a post.
There is a very simple answer to that, don't ask dumb, obvious questions, or question that have been asked repeatedly, which shows a complete lack of research generally or searching on the boards. Everyone was new once, and probably has done just that at some point, but in the main it's just laziness, which does get tiresome after a while.

If you ego is thin enough to really care what some internet stranger may say... really an open forum is not the place for you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post:
  #530  
Old 28.05.2016, 14:38
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I...Admin decides to ban you if you are not a regular poster. Why?
This is not true. We have loads of people who read and never post, or who post rarely. Many users communicate with other members offline or via PM. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem arises when people abuse the Marketplace and do nothing but advertise without participating in discussion sections (as per the rules), despite several requests. I'm sorry, but this was explained to you numerous times via PM.

Edit - By the way, many users think they don't have anything useful to contribute. They think all questions have been answered, or they don't want snarky replies. There's no requirement to be an expert on all the laws or to get involved in heated debates. You can post about the weather, share a recipe, recommend a restaurant or a day trip, share your experience with a business, share your secret on where to find brown sugar, welcome new members, suggest a coffee meet-up, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #531  
Old 29.05.2016, 14:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: felben wellhausen
Posts: 8
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
char1111 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Applause applause for Connor Mcleod...You are absolutely right about the behavior of people posting on this site.

I have been a member of this site since 2013 and everytime I had a question or concern about life in Switzerland, I would look for a little guidance in the search area only to find that members were arguing a solution with each other.

Sometimes you just want an answer or suggestion that worked for you as an individual trying to struggle through Switzerland and could help someone else.

I am surprised that these confrontations have gone unnoticed by the administration when I thought a rule to posting was to be polite to others.

If you post to a reply and the solution to your problem worked for you well OK....for somebody else it may not have worked well then suggest what worked for you from your experience.....why waste time fighting and arguing with someone elses experience on a matter.

This forum is suppose to help alot of us new or older in Switzerland navigate through certain problems , concerns together....This is the English forum which alot of us are or speakers of and we are all struggling here in a non English environment.....we should be more supportive not aggressive....what now the members of the English forum eat their young
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank char1111 for this useful post:
This user groans at char1111 for this post:
  #532  
Old 29.05.2016, 14:29
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,058
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,583 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I am surprised that these confrontations have gone unnoticed by the administration when I thought a rule to posting was to be polite to others.

If you post to a reply and the solution to your problem worked for you well OK....for somebody else it may not have worked well then suggest what worked for you from your experience.....why waste time fighting and arguing with someone elses experience on a matter.

This forum is suppose to help alot of us new or older in Switzerland navigate through certain problems , concerns together....This is the English forum which alot of us are or speakers of and we are all struggling here in a non English environment.....we should be more supportive not aggressive....what now the members of the English forum eat their young
If anything or anyone offends you, you can always report this and a mod will have a look. It is a free forum, people who really offend will get a comment/reply from a mod but that is not something you will notice as this is between op and a mod. Ever seen people banned? That could be one of the reasons.
But again, it is a free forum and not every word will be scrutinized by the mods and that is ok for me.

And part of the fun here - for me - is the discussion part and contradictionary opinions
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #533  
Old 29.05.2016, 14:57
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 225 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 10,872 Times in 3,321 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Sometimes I think some veterans and newbies need to take a chill pill alike.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #534  
Old 12.07.2016, 08:26
tommyleeselbow's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bulach
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
tommyleeselbow has made some interesting contributions
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

I don't see why people can't just offer advice if asked. I've often found replies on here to be less than useful -so why bother? If I can answer someones question, I will. If I can't then I'm not going to dish out abuse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tommyleeselbow for this useful post:
  #535  
Old 12.07.2016, 08:37
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,704
Groaned at 135 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 4,831 Times in 2,299 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I don't see why people can't just offer advice if asked. I've often found replies on here to be less than useful -so why bother? If I can answer someones question, I will. If I can't then I'm not going to dish out abuse.
Because some people think because they have previously used a forum for longer then someone else , it makes them a master of something. And boredom generally plays a big part, coupled with massive previous bad experience somewhere. The world isn't perfect, its a forum open to all, so it cant be perfect either.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #536  
Old 12.07.2016, 08:49
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,989
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,235 Times in 2,915 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I don't see why people can't just offer advice if asked. I've often found replies on here to be less than useful -so why bother? If I can answer someones question, I will. If I can't then I'm not going to dish out abuse.
Many of the questions are leading questions, viz "Life is impossible here, please confirm". The polite way to answer such a question is "look again", but if you look at the threads of this form you will often find that the last thing the OP then does is reevaluate their prejudice.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #537  
Old 12.07.2016, 09:08
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
I don't see why people can't just offer advice if asked. I've often found replies on here to be less than useful -so why bother? If I can answer someones question, I will. If I can't then I'm not going to dish out abuse.
Every question that could be asked about living in Switzerland was asked before 2010 - every thread since has been a rehash, a repeat, a copy, a duplicate, a minor variation and to be honest, a complete waste of time.

EF began when the amount of information on the internet about the land of Cheese and Chocolate was minimal - no one knew whether 120k was a good salary back then. And then, emerging like a holy savior from a dark misty network room strode Mark - sheep flocked to him and low it came to past that EF was born and light was shone upon the blessed.

Fast forward 11 years and the world of information has changed - if you don't know the name of a camshaft sensor GOOGLE will translate - you can even find the part number and order it yourself from the closest dealer - which you find my Googling for them - then emailing their parts team in "Google Translate" language. Throw in social media where acceptance or derision is immediate and you have all the ingredients for chaos - demanding new users who need instant responses, answers and support; a number of ex/current-users who put on their trolling capes now and then for a bit of a jape; and a group of grumpy middle aged expats who lived through the dark days pre-EF and learned to just Get The F On With Life (it makes a rubbish acronum GTFOWL).

If a new user has Googled for "Salary Switzerland" and has found EF they are not so dumb they don't know how to search - but as soon as they find the forum they put of their Fumb Duck hat and let rip with a stream of questions which have all be answered before. Dissatisfied with any delay they post follow up comments like "Hello, is anyone going to answer, I can see 130 people have read my post?" or "Typical responses from cold Swiss people".

Every single one of the so called "EF Legend Mafia" (or whatever it is called by those whose feelings were at some point damaged by being a bit of a plonker on here) has a wealth of Swiss-centric knowledge born out of years and years of living in the country - getting stung for things, finding bargains, interacting with the enemy (the Swiss) and making the life they want for themselves and their family.

They are always willing to help - just don't expect a smile - because after all they almost never get a thank you.
__________________
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #538  
Old 12.07.2016, 09:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,118
Groaned at 107 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,560 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

'ere 'uckin 'ere
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank i-b-deborah for this useful post:
  #539  
Old 16.07.2016, 21:13
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 765
Groaned at 89 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 2,447 Times in 800 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Every question that could be asked about living in Switzerland was asked before 2010 - every thread since has been a rehash, a repeat, a copy, a duplicate, a minor variation and to be honest, a complete waste of time.

EF began when the amount of information on the internet about the land of Cheese and Chocolate was minimal - no one knew whether 120k was a good salary back then. And then, emerging like a holy savior from a dark misty network room strode Mark - sheep flocked to him and low it came to past that EF was born and light was shone upon the blessed.

Fast forward 11 years and the world of information has changed - if you don't know the name of a camshaft sensor GOOGLE will translate - you can even find the part number and order it yourself from the closest dealer - which you find my Googling for them - then emailing their parts team in "Google Translate" language. Throw in social media where acceptance or derision is immediate and you have all the ingredients for chaos - demanding new users who need instant responses, answers and support; a number of ex/current-users who put on their trolling capes now and then for a bit of a jape; and a group of grumpy middle aged expats who lived through the dark days pre-EF and learned to just Get The F On With Life (it makes a rubbish acronum GTFOWL).

If a new user has Googled for "Salary Switzerland" and has found EF they are not so dumb they don't know how to search - but as soon as they find the forum they put of their Fumb Duck hat and let rip with a stream of questions which have all be answered before. Dissatisfied with any delay they post follow up comments like "Hello, is anyone going to answer, I can see 130 people have read my post?" or "Typical responses from cold Swiss people".

Every single one of the so called "EF Legend Mafia" (or whatever it is called by those whose feelings were at some point damaged by being a bit of a plonker on here) has a wealth of Swiss-centric knowledge born out of years and years of living in the country - getting stung for things, finding bargains, interacting with the enemy (the Swiss) and making the life they want for themselves and their family.

They are always willing to help - just don't expect a smile - because after all they almost never get a thank you.
If someone is going to reply to a new poster he is a perfect way to reply and and perfect way to boost the forum members.
Looking for amateur football team
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #540  
Old 16.07.2016, 21:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Treatment of New Posters

Quote:
View Post
Every question that could be asked about living in Switzerland was asked before 2010 - every thread since has been a rehash, a repeat, a copy, a duplicate, a minor variation and to be honest, a complete waste of time.

EF began when the amount of information on the internet about the land of Cheese and Chocolate was minimal - no one knew whether 120k was a good salary back then. And then, emerging like a holy savior from a dark misty network room strode Mark - sheep flocked to him and low it came to past that EF was born and light was shone upon the blessed.

Fast forward 11 years and the world of information has changed - if you don't know the name of a camshaft sensor GOOGLE will translate - you can even find the part number and order it yourself from the closest dealer - which you find my Googling for them - then emailing their parts team in "Google Translate" language. Throw in social media where acceptance or derision is immediate and you have all the ingredients for chaos - demanding new users who need instant responses, answers and support; a number of ex/current-users who put on their trolling capes now and then for a bit of a jape; and a group of grumpy middle aged expats who lived through the dark days pre-EF and learned to just Get The F On With Life (it makes a rubbish acronum GTFOWL).

If a new user has Googled for "Salary Switzerland" and has found EF they are not so dumb they don't know how to search - but as soon as they find the forum they put of their Fumb Duck hat and let rip with a stream of questions which have all be answered before. Dissatisfied with any delay they post follow up comments like "Hello, is anyone going to answer, I can see 130 people have read my post?" or "Typical responses from cold Swiss people".

Every single one of the so called "EF Legend Mafia" (or whatever it is called by those whose feelings were at some point damaged by being a bit of a plonker on here) has a wealth of Swiss-eccentric knowledge born out of years and years of living in the country - getting stung for things, finding bargains, interacting with the enemy (the Swiss) and making the life they want for themselves and their family.

They are always willing to help - just don't expect a smile - because after all they almost never get a thank you.
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PETA (People for the ethical treatment of animals) ... "aren't" Desert Rat International affairs/politics 0 27.02.2013 19:43
Complain to the SBB about the posters Ittigen Complaints corner 244 27.09.2011 19:22
Foreigners not the target of the latest SVP posters panda Swiss politics/news 109 12.05.2011 17:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0