Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 26.01.2015, 16:05
Wife of a swiss's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Basel & across the big pond
Posts: 218
Groaned at 76 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 317 Times in 91 Posts
Wife of a swiss has made some interesting contributions
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Again, good ol' Swiss customer service. We were once in an Italian restaurant that we frequented because it was reasonably priced and just around the corner from us. 50 minutes had passed and no food, no drink so my husband politely asked for the status and we were told very loudly, "Can't you see were busy". We ate and never returned. Disaster.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wife of a swiss for this useful post:
  #102  
Old 26.01.2015, 16:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

LOL, if you ate it means the food came fairly quickly- or you would have walked out, no (I would, and have done, not around here though but in UK, several times).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #103  
Old 26.01.2015, 17:52
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,862
Groaned at 45 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,221 Times in 935 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

When the bill comes, you say let's split it 10 ways (let's make this e.g. simple). Since I have polite friends, anyone who has ordered a large steak or expensive meal will admit to it and say i'm chucking an extra 10 or 20chf into the combined pot (to give to waitress) and the people who ordered less can either take that out or leave it for a tip.

Let's say the bill for us 10 comes to 700chf, between us we will agree to 750 all told inc tip. Everyone will put in whatever notes they have and say "I need 25chf back", etc etc.

When the waitress comes, we will say can we have some 10s and 20s in the change, then everyone can square up at the end on the table. The waitress only has one transaction, and everyone is happy - since the lowest denomination of note is 10chf, some people might be that much out, but really nobody is going to care about 10chf on an 80chf bill (I hope).

Do your own goddamn maths mofos.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #104  
Old 26.01.2015, 18:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,349
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,545 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
When the bill comes, you say let's split it 10 ways (let's make this e.g. simple). Since I have polite friends, anyone who has ordered a large steak or expensive meal will admit to it and say i'm chucking an extra 10 or 20chf into the combined pot (to give to waitress) and the people who ordered less can either take that out or leave it for a tip.

Let's say the bill for us 10 comes to 700chf, between us we will agree to 750 all told inc tip. Everyone will put in whatever notes they have and say "I need 25chf back", etc etc.

When the waitress comes, we will say can we have some 10s and 20s in the change, then everyone can square up at the end on the table. The waitress only has one transaction, and everyone is happy - since the lowest denomination of note is 10chf, some people might be that much out, but really nobody is going to care about 10chf on an 80chf bill (I hope).

Do your own goddamn maths mofos.
Isn't this how any normal human is brought up to do things?
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #105  
Old 26.01.2015, 18:14
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,755
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,993 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Isn't this how any normal human is brought up to do things?
You saying i'm normal Porsch..........? Tks, cute !!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 26.01.2015, 19:34
MarkL2005's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 139
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 65 Times in 29 Posts
MarkL2005 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Going back to Richdog's OP... no, I've never had a problem with waiters/tresses in Zurich when we tell them that we want to pay individually. In fact, we are asked 9 times out of 10: "Seperat oder zusammen?" I guess it depends on the restaurant? We never go to anything that fancy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MarkL2005 for this useful post:
This user groans at MarkL2005 for this post:
  #107  
Old 27.01.2015, 00:25
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 110
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 50 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered knowledgeablearmed_neutrality is considered knowledgeablearmed_neutrality is considered knowledgeable
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
...rude? To pay for your meal? That's an... "interesting" way of looking at it. I'd say it was very special, in fact. Special and interesting. Spinnnnterrresting.
No. To present multiple transactions from a single group. More so if there are multiple card transactions, which adds even more faff and cost.

You still get to pay for your meal, see?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 27.01.2015, 06:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,190
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,945 Times in 4,676 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
No. To present multiple transactions from a single group. More so if there are multiple card transactions, which adds even more faff and cost.

You still get to pay for your meal, see?
Read all abbaaattt it, "Restaurant In Mild Payment Inconvenience Shocker".
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 27.01.2015, 09:43
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,381
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,954 Times in 6,287 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
No. To present multiple transactions from a single group. More so if there are multiple card transactions, which adds even more faff and cost.

You still get to pay for your meal, see?
Restaurants already cover those costs you get in your bill.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 27.01.2015, 09:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,653
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,576 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

here the solution for all problems: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ra.letsgodutch
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #111  
Old 27.01.2015, 13:39
Patsycat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,996
Groaned at 47 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,356 Times in 979 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

When we would go out for a meal, one friend would pay with his credit card and we would give him the cash. He never carried much cash on him so then he was ok for the rest of the evening. And he could work it out to the last centime!!
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 27.01.2015, 14:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
jnegrao has no particular reputation at present
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Normally if you want he bill split, the people at the table do it and then you all pay what you agreed to, hoping it adds up to the total amount of the bill.

It is not the waiters' job to split the bill really, or you ask for seperate bills at the start, if you all want a bill for your expense account or whatever

You can always ask for a bit of time between recieveng and paying the bill, if only to check it.


I usually do the exact same thing, split the amount ourselves and each pay his own bill.


Works perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 27.01.2015, 18:14
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,484
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
When the bill comes, you say let's split it 10 ways (let's make this e.g. simple). Since I have polite friends, anyone who has ordered a large steak or expensive meal will admit to it and say i'm chucking an extra 10 or 20chf into the combined pot (to give to waitress) and the people who ordered less can either take that out or leave it for a tip.

Let's say the bill for us 10 comes to 700chf, between us we will agree to 750 all told inc tip. Everyone will put in whatever notes they have and say "I need 25chf back", etc etc.

When the waitress comes, we will say can we have some 10s and 20s in the change, then everyone can square up at the end on the table. The waitress only has one transaction, and everyone is happy - since the lowest denomination of note is 10chf, some people might be that much out, but really nobody is going to care about 10chf on an 80chf bill (I hope).

Do your own goddamn maths mofos.
yeah. this is then ruined by the 3 people who can only pay by card
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 30.01.2015, 00:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Erlenbach, Zürich
Posts: 62
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 59 Times in 22 Posts
TheMagicBox is considered knowledgeableTheMagicBox is considered knowledgeableTheMagicBox is considered knowledgeable
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
No. To present multiple transactions from a single group. More so if there are multiple card transactions, which adds even more faff and cost.
Surely restaurants should factor in credit card charges into their pricing? Some people will pay cash, some will pay card, and if it doesn't all come out in the wash then adjust your pricing to adequately cover your operating costs.

Say ten people are dining out. Why on earth should it matter if the people are sitting at one table together or five separate tables? It's business - you get the money from your customers however the hell they want to give it to you. Most of the time I've been out with groups here, we can all generally make close enough change from the pile of money that gets thrown in anyway, but the restaurant should be accommodating enough to help out.

Funnily though, I haven't ever had a problem here (in Zürich) with having a bill split. In Australia, on the other hand, you're hard pressed to find anywhere that will let you even pay separately - and most people rarely carry cash there. We had a fantastic local restaurant in Melbourne that we went to - a lot - that had an obviously high-tech & wondrous system where the wait staff took your orders & whatever you ordered was assigned to you in their POS system. No matter how large the group you were in, you'd just walk up to the counter at the end and they'd print off your individual bill. Man, I miss that place. Mostly because I didn't have to harvest my organs on the black market to get a three course meal & a cocktail.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheMagicBox for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 30.01.2015, 00:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,190
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,945 Times in 4,676 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Surely restaurants should factor in credit card charges into their pricing? Some people will pay cash, some will pay card, and if it doesn't all come out in the wash then adjust your pricing to adequately cover your operating costs.

Say ten people are dining out. Why on earth should it matter if the people are sitting at one table together or five separate tables? It's business - you get the money from your customers however the hell they want to give it to you. Most of the time I've been out with groups here, we can all generally make close enough change from the pile of money that gets thrown in anyway, but the restaurant should be accommodating enough to help out.
The voice of reason.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 30.01.2015, 05:34
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 110
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 50 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered knowledgeablearmed_neutrality is considered knowledgeablearmed_neutrality is considered knowledgeable
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Surely restaurants should factor in credit card charges into their pricing? .
Yep, they should also factor in some breakage. Which means it's fine to deliberately throw your glass on the floor!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank armed_neutrality for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 30.01.2015, 08:11
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,755
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,993 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Te only thing i can think of, if is there is an individual charge of a certain amount per credit card which would mean 10 x the charge, alkthough ido not thing this is true as Credit cards work on percentages i believe.

Waiter laziness is probably best explanation
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 30.01.2015, 08:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,376 Times in 2,002 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

I find the best way to split a bill is with a pair of scissors. i never leave home without them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #119  
Old 30.01.2015, 09:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Erlenbach, Zürich
Posts: 62
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 59 Times in 22 Posts
TheMagicBox is considered knowledgeableTheMagicBox is considered knowledgeableTheMagicBox is considered knowledgeable
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Yep, they should also factor in some breakage. Which means it's fine to deliberately throw your glass on the floor!
Yes. Because wanting to pay your own portion of a bill is absolutely, exactly the same as deliberately damaging restaurant property.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 30.01.2015, 10:38
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 756 Times in 330 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurants insisting you pay the bill as a group...

Quote:
View Post
Yep, they should also factor in some breakage. Which means it's fine to deliberately throw your glass on the floor!
So then if I fling my plate and pay by card, should I be subject to a surcharge? And conversely, if I don't smash things and pay cash, do I get a discount?

I think I may enjoy this system.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, restaurant, service, swiss, switzerland




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheapest Pay As You Go varioplus TV/internet/telephone 6 15.12.2014 22:16
So...orange is the best pay as you go for data right? josquius TV/internet/telephone 18 15.12.2014 18:08
What happens when you dont pay for a bill? stef3232 Daily life 10 14.10.2013 13:53
Pay as you go phones - options? Peter 1875 TV/internet/telephone 14 07.08.2012 14:04
Pay-as-you-go with Swisscom outlining TV/internet/telephone 13 28.04.2012 19:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0