Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01.02.2015, 20:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Spot on BM- being a landlocked country, Swiss people are not used to eat strong sea fish. Perch filets and palée, mild lake fish, and pike (which has quite a strong taste many Swiss do not like) and salmon are ok, but stronger sea fish was not available here until recently, and certainly not part of the eating habits of the Swiss, especially not the older generation.

Before refrigerated lorries and cheaper flights- Switzerland was just too far away to safely import fish or shellfish, mussels, etc. By the time they would have arrived here they would have been rotten. The only decent fish shops arrived here with the Spanish and Portuguese immigrants in the 80s. So calling this 'fish' racism is just stupid, really- and shows little understanding of the geography and culture of Switzerland.

It is the same all over the world- food you grow up with are easier to eat than foods from the other side of the world for some- although they may be very attractive to some, especially those who have travelled a lot and enjoyed for those foods elsewhere (curry in the UK seems to be the exception, for some reason). They love tripe here, and bulls' testicles, and brains, black pudding made with blood only- etc- which may well seem horrendous to others who are not used to eating offal, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 01.02.2015, 20:48
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,390
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,671 Times in 12,105 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

There was a very well established fish-running line between Genoa and Zurich throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, so I have no idea where this notion of Swiss people not eating sea fish comes from.

The "Fischträger" were athletic young men who would gather at the harbour as the boats returned, scrambling to bargain for the best deals on fish (fist fights and stabbings were not uncommon), before running over the Alps to deliver their wares to the market on Limmatquai in Zurich. The best, most well-paid runners could make the journey in 36 hours, although 2 - 3 days was a more usual time. As they reached the top of the Gotthard they would pack the fish in snow and ice to keep it fresh for the last leg through Uri and Schwyz.

The opening of the Gotthard tunnel put an end to their trade as fish could be carried more quickly and cheaply by rail.


Fischli! Fischli! Frisch ufem Tischli!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 01.02.2015, 20:54
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,753
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,993 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Why we need picture of you Dougal, with stupid hat on ?

In a few years time, the twins will cringe when they see this !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 01.02.2015, 20:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,653
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,576 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Swiss sea fish
so where is this Swiss sea?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01.02.2015, 21:02
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Pike down everyone, stop carping on and get down from your perch.

If I'm herring this right, you can all muscle in and come over to my plaice ..... unless of course, you've haddock enough, already.

My mate John Dory ended up having his red mullet cut at the the barbers ....... Nah, I'm just codding you.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 01.02.2015, 21:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

I do think we have discussed this before DB- Zurich is NOT Switzerland.

Growing up here in the Far West in the 50s and 60s, nobody here ate any sea fish, and it was just not available at all- be it in shops, restaurants or private homes.
Maybe it was in Zurich- but I just would NOT know.

We were forced to have a spoonfull of cod liver oil at school every morning though- arghhhh, that taste will be with me forever- enough to put you off for life.

Last edited by Odile; 01.02.2015 at 22:28.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:05
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,220
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,241 Times in 4,924 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
I do think we have discussed this before DB- Zurich is NOT Switzerland.

Growing up here in the Far West in the 50s and 60s, nobody here ate any sea fish, and it was just not available at all- be it in shops, restaurants or private homes.
Maybe it was in Zurich- but I just would NOT know.
The OP is in Zurich though so theoretically if the fish was available in Zurich the locals there should have got used to it by now.

Even then I suspect the choice was somewhat more limited than in countries with better access to the sea. It would have taken some time to get the fish to Zurich without any refrigeration so it would have smelled rather 'fishy' I imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:31
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
You can get fresh fish in Zurich where they are receiving fish from Indian ocean countries like maldive,india etc.

They will display the calendar when the fish is reaching here.

please indicate Name and Location of the place
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:37
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Fish can be eaten as much as TEN days after catching which ... unless I missed something here ... is ten times (24hr) as long as the farthest place on Earth to us by chartered flight .. for those who really seek out the best fish to eat and to store it I think Sydney Fish Market really know a thing or two..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:47
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
I also love to eat fish, and confess to buying non-frozen fish here, packed with a neutral gas, to help preserve it. Other fish are usually of disappointing quality.

At the big Coop at Bern-Wankdorf, the ice was not changed regularly, and the stench of old fish juice on the old ice was appalling, I was thus put off by the sloppy presentation. Perhaps it is better today, but it used to smell really bad.

Maybe it is the extra border crossing that causes the delays, but fresh fish bought in nearby France is far superior to Swiss sea fish. And when have you seen conger eel or periwinkles for sale here? In France, only 41 Kms from Neuchâtel! https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Neuch...106!2d47.05698

SEA fish in France and in CH Comes from the same place, the Grand-Market in Paris, The border crossing means a delay of one working day, but there are supplementary factor like bad handling etc.


on the Bodensee (also the Untersee section and the Ueberlinger-See section) you can, in many Restaurants get fresh fish out of the lake, Particularily praiseworthy are some German Restaurants on the northern shores of the Untersee (not cheap)l
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:55
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Fish can be eaten as much as TEN days after catching which ... unless I missed something here ... is ten times (24hr) as long as the farthest place on Earth to us by chartered flight .. for those who really seek out the best fish to eat and to store it I think Sydney Fish Market really know a thing or two..

A) Fish arriving in Paris WERE caught a week before
B) Fish are still subject to Close inspection by the Food directorate
C) Mr Witschi jr, owner of a famous Restaurant specialising on fish does not agree with you at all. He and his brother even for a while had a chartered airplane in use between Paris and Zürich, but logistical Problems on the Paris side and the Zürich side brought the Operation to an end
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,143
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,727 Times in 9,480 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Before refrigerated lorries and cheaper flights- Switzerland was just too far away to safely import fish or shellfish, mussels, etc. By the time they would have arrived here they would have been rotten.
Nonsense.

Virtually all fish sold in Italy passes first through Milano, which is three hours by train from Zurich, and has been for a hundred years or more.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:01
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Spot on BM- being a landlocked country, Swiss people are not used to eat strong sea fish. Perch filets and palée, mild lake fish, and pike (which has quite a strong taste many Swiss do not like) and salmon are ok, but stronger sea fish was not available here until recently, and certainly not part of the eating habits of the Swiss, especially not the older generation.

Before refrigerated lorries and cheaper flights- Switzerland was just too far away to safely import fish or shellfish, mussels, etc. By the time they would have arrived here they would have been rotten. The only decent fish shops arrived here with the Spanish and Portuguese immigrants in the 80s. So calling this 'fish' racism is just stupid, really- and shows little understanding of the geography and culture of Switzerland.

It is the same all over the world- food you grow up with are easier to eat than foods from the other side of the world for some- although they may be very attractive to some, especially those who have travelled a lot and enjoyed for those foods elsewhere (curry in the UK seems to be the exception, for some reason). They love tripe here, and bulls' testicles, and brains, black pudding made with blood only- etc- which may well seem horrendous to others who are not used to eating offal, etc.

In Zürich there was never enough fish from the lake so that most fish got imported from France and/or Germany. While the Catholics on Friday got into that stuff, we Protestants ate Wähe as a good and cheap alternative. Fish in the 1950ies was distributed by specialized Traders who opened up temporary stalls on the roadside.







you may see that Austria is quite good with Wähen. The reason is that Austria got fresh fish from the Austrian-Hungarian seaport of Triest for centuries but after 1918 had to look elsewhere.






Last edited by Wollishofener; 01.02.2015 at 23:13.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:07
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,220
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,241 Times in 4,924 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Nonsense.

Virtually all fish sold in Italy passes first through Milano, which is three hours by train from Zurich, and has been for a hundred years or more.

Tom
That's as maybe but there's more to Switzerland than Zurich.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Yes, even now, most Perch fillets are imported from Eastern Europe. But again, this is very mild and delicate fish, and mostly lake fish.

No idea what Wähe is.... edit- so I do now that you have edited your post and added a photo. As my father was Catholic but didn't eat fish- we always had, as most Catholics here, 'Gateau au fromage' (cheese pie) followed by fruit tart, whatever was in season and cheap, or in winter 'seiche' (pastry cooked with sugar and butter on top) or on special occasions, condensed milk tart! A whole large tin of condensed milk poured on the pastry and cooked till golden.

Forgot to mention trout as fish regularly eaten here when I was a kid. Our local Jura rivers are brilliant for trout fishing- my dad used to tickle them to catch them. In our village, they used to be much larger than now, as all the butchers and the abattoir used to be by the rivers, and all the waste went straight into the river- the trout were big and fat, and lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:19
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Nonsense.

Virtually all fish sold in Italy passes first through Milano, which is three hours by train from Zurich, and has been for a hundred years or more.

Tom

Right and wrong at the same time. German speaking Switzerland NEVER imported much fish from Italy. With the exception of some specialist Traders but that rather on a small scale.




Even now, lots of food gets spoilt on the San Gottardo for various reasons. Add to all this that the Gotthard-Tunnel is less than 150 years old
---- 1 8 8 2 ---
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthardtunnel
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 656
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 749 Times in 339 Posts
xkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Spot on BM- being a landlocked country, Swiss people are not used to eat strong sea fish. Perch filets and palée, mild lake fish, and pike (which has quite a strong taste many Swiss do not like) and salmon are ok, but stronger sea fish was not available here until recently, and certainly not part of the eating habits of the Swiss, especially not the older generation.
Marianne Kaltenbach begs to differ. She lists quite a few bacalao recipes in her reference book on Swiss cuisine. According to her fish was a traditional catholic dish during lent.

Quote:
View Post
The only decent fish shops arrived here with the Spanish and Portuguese immigrants in the 80s. So calling this 'fish' racism is just stupid, really- and shows little understanding of the geography and culture of Switzerland.

It is the same all over the world- food you grow up with are easier to eat than foods from the other side of the world for some....
People born in the 80s are in their late 20s/early 30s today. Plenty of those do not like fish.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Yes, even now, most Perch fillets are imported from Eastern Europe. But again, this is very mild and delicate fish, and mostly lake fish.

No idea what Wähe is.... edit- so I do now that you have edited your post and added a photo. As my father was Catholic but didn't eat fish- we always had, as most Catholics here, 'Gateau au fromage' (cheese pie) followed by fruit tart, whatever was in season and cheap, or in winter 'seiche' (pastry cooked with sugar and butter on top) or on special occasions, condensed milk tart! A whole large tin of condensed milk poured on the pastry and cooked till golden.

Forgot to mention trout as fish regularly eaten here when I was a kid. Our local Jura rivers are brilliant for trout fishing- my dad used to tickle them to catch them. In our village, they used to be much larger than now, as all the butchers and the abattoir used to be by the rivers, and all the waste went straight into the river- the trout were big and fat, and lazy.

Wähen are a kind of national dish in German speaking Switzerland and still much en-vogue



Aepfel



Birnen



Kirschen










Erdbeeren









Rhabarber

Last edited by Wollishofener; 01.02.2015 at 23:48.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Same here in Romandie. It is still traditional here to eat 'Gateau au fromage' and fruit tart, with or without 'guêlon' on Fridays. Guêlon is a milk, sugar and egg mix (like real custard) poured over the fruit before cooking, In our family we never had 'guêlon' and prefered pure fruit- but then we had a big orchard, with lots of different apples, pears, plums, greengages, hazelnuts and a big strawberry patch and all sorts of soft fruits, gooseberries, raspberries, blackcurrant, redcurrant, rhubarb, etc.

We also spent autumn Sundays picking wood strawberries, wild raspberries and blueberries for the Friday tarts- and all because none of us liked fish, and especially sea fish- which we couldn't get anyhow!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01.02.2015, 23:56
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
Marianne Kaltenbach begs to differ. She lists quite a few bacalao recipes in her reference book on Swiss cuisine. According to her fish was a traditional catholic dish during lent.


People born in the 80s are in their late 20s/early 30s today. Plenty of those do not like fish.

Bacalhau ? Learnt to know this excellent fish on a 4-day-visit to Lisbon in late 1998 . It then was almost unknown here --- so that I tend to Support Mrs Kaltenbach, in spite of her being a bit off the Point .--- The Marisquairo Atlantico on Hohlstrasse has some excellent Bacalhao


That quite many young people born after 1980 are anti-fish is regrettable but obvious.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, prawns, salmon, seafood




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
free voucher for 30 Minute Fish Pedicure at Natural Fish Spa in Geneva chill_lee Free stuff 5 05.11.2012 10:16
'Drop racism from Swiss elections' demand The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 11.08.2011 16:41
For Sale: Juwel Fish Tank, Fish, Stand and Lots More kamuk Items for sale 1 20.03.2011 14:04
German-Swiss Border Racism or Incompetence? Eaglehead Daily life 26 21.03.2010 11:01
Research on swiss racism . hoppy Swiss politics/news 316 01.02.2010 09:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0