Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.03.2015, 18:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,167
Groaned at 29 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 349 Posts
blackbird has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Thats why i inform myself at toppreise or geizhals, before i go shopping.
Too many people are affected by advertising and believe they make a bargain.
Same story at buying airline tickets, railway tickets.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank blackbird for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:07
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Just to drift a bit - what MM do need to do, is to improve their customer service.

I recently popped a 240/12V transformer for a combined TV/DVD player and wanted a replacement.
Seemed to be good all round availability from the the usual online suspects (Amazon/EBay), but as it was non-CH, would require a plug change and delay for shipping, so I thought I'd have a look in the local, BIG, Mediamarkt, and be typical Swiss and pay for convenience.

Being a midweek morning, there were more staff than customers, so, rather than wander around aimlessly, I asked some sales assistant bod, who, having ascertained it was for a TV, directed me to the only staff member on the TV dept. who was already with a customer.
After a token gesture wait of about 30 secs. I then plucked up the courage to interrupt the three staff members stood chatting. This time I didn't say it was for a TV, but was still taken to a differenct section and shown another staff member ..... who was with a customer.

So I told this first bod, that I wasn't going to wait, and he should show me where the universal, non-specific transformers are.

Whether he was pissed off at me, just stupid, didn't know, or actually right, he told me that they don't have any.

I found it hard to believe that that a store of hundreds of square metres of sales space, thousands of products and accessories, doesn't have a single, separate, generic universal transformer - the type that is used for TVs, monitors, LED lighting, to name three.

So here I wait for my near identical (slightly newer replacement model) to come from the UK - for less than 20 sovs (with shipping) ....... would have been even cheaper, if I hadn't ordered the one that comes with a cable and UK plug, which I don't need.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,184
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,933 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

55chf online at media markt https://shop.mediamarkt.ch/fr/ordina...5/idpg4bnt3h5n
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:22
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,383
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,641 Times in 12,099 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

When I use a word...

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:23
alienausland's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
alienausland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

In America right now, I have read there are many, many stores closing down in the suburbs, one chief reason (out of many) being that the internet has allowed consumers the ability to check the prices of products from a wide variety of sources almost instantaneously, and then order them from home, so they can now avoid inconveniences such as driving to the store or putting on pants .

Personally, I also think that people have noticed incredibly stupid mark-ups in the technology sector, especially with accessories. BestBuy sold USB cables for around $30, while the internet has sold bundles of them for a tiny fraction of this cost.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank alienausland for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,066
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,257 Times in 553 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Wow. I would like to thank the OP. I had no idea I could get my ink from digitec. I have been paying a higher price at interdiscount or the Migros.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank neddy for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:24
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,592
Groaned at 384 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

that may be so but why not the same price in the store? With interdiscount and many other stores with an online shop the prices are the same online as in the stores.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,184
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,933 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Quote:
View Post
that may be so but why not the same price in the store? With interdiscount and many other stores with an online shop the prices are the same online as in the stores.
Because of the cost of hiring people and maintaining the stores... ordering online allows them to cut out that side of the equation, so for some items they heavily reduce prices.

Considering you can order online, and then pick up in store, its no problem in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:29
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,592
Groaned at 384 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Thanks. My "crap " has some use for some people




Quote:
View Post
You really do manage to come out with some crap
Quote:
View Post
Wow. I would like to thank the OP. I had no idea I could get my ink from digitec. I have been paying a higher price at interdiscount or the Migros.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:32
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,592
Groaned at 384 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Conrad is a good store for such things but their bloody delivery costs are an " abzocker". Media markt is pretty useless for such things.
Quote:
View Post
Just to drift a bit - what MM do need to do, is to improve their customer service.

I recently popped a 240/12V transformer for a combined TV/DVD player and wanted a replacement.
Seemed to be good all round availability from the the usual online suspects (Amazon/EBay), but as it was non-CH, would require a plug change and delay for shipping, so I thought I'd have a look in the local, BIG, Mediamarkt, and be typical Swiss and pay for convenience.

Being a midweek morning, there were more staff than customers, so, rather than wander around aimlessly, I asked some sales assistant bod, who, having ascertained it was for a TV, directed me to the only staff member on the TV dept. who was already with a customer.
After a token gesture wait of about 30 secs. I then plucked up the courage to interrupt the three staff members stood chatting. This time I didn't say it was for a TV, but was still taken to a differenct section and shown another staff member ..... who was with a customer.

So I told this first bod, that I wasn't going to wait, and he should show me where the universal, non-specific transformers are.

Whether he was pissed off at me, just stupid, didn't know, or actually right, he told me that they don't have any.

I found it hard to believe that that a store of hundreds of square metres of sales space, thousands of products and accessories, doesn't have a single, separate, generic universal transformer - the type that is used for TVs, monitors, LED lighting, to name three.

So here I wait for my near identical (slightly newer replacement model) to come from the UK - for less than 20 sovs (with shipping) ....... would have been even cheaper, if I hadn't ordered the one that comes with a cable and UK plug, which I don't need.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:34
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Quote:
View Post
Wow. I would like to thank the OP. I had no idea I could get my ink from digitec. I have been paying a higher price at interdiscount or the Migros.
Thank you!
Multipacks (for multiple cartridge printers) are particularly good value.

There are also several online generic suppliers, including refill ink for empty cartridges, which you fill yourself (IIRC).
Unless you're a closet prolific printer, it's probably not worth the effort for a few chufs savings - so Digitec it is ..... although Migros has also a good choice, but at slightly higher prices (but still less than Mediamarkt).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:42
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Quote:
View Post
Conrad is a good store for such things but their bloody delivery costs are an " abzocker". Media markt is pretty useless for such things.
The problem I found with Conrad (and Microspot), is that when exact search criteria is entered, it either returns no results, or (after modification) pages of similar (and not so) related (and unrelated) products to scroll through ..... which I really couldn't be bothered to do, when what I needed was there in front of me on Amazon and EBay.

Unless, of course, you know different:

- input 100 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1.7 A
- output 12V, 5A, 60W
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 31.03.2015, 19:46
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,145
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 8,993 Times in 2,760 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

IMO mediamarkt's model works like this:-

Bait you in with good prices on relatively big ticket items, and then screw you on the accessories that you need to go with them.

Example: nice digital SLR, almost as cheap as the cheapest online place. Memory cards, cases etc, 2 - 3 times more expensive than typical online stores.

This is how they make their money. Normal person walks into the store, loves he price of some gizmo, grabs it, and then proceeds to buy all the accessories. At the end of it it's likely that mediamarkt have made more profit than if they sold the big ticket item at full retail.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 31.03.2015, 20:11
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,592
Groaned at 384 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Was looking for a DC Extension cable the other day.Bought it at Amazon but later saw this store

http://www.elv.ch/delock-kabel-strom...x-stecker.html



Quote:
View Post
The problem I found with Conrad (and Microspot), is that when exact search criteria is entered, it either returns no results, or (after modification) pages of similar (and not so) related (and unrelated) products to scroll through ..... which I really couldn't be bothered to do, when what I needed was there in front of me on Amazon and EBay.

Unless, of course, you know different:

- input 100 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1.7 A
- output 12V, 5A, 60W
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31.03.2015, 20:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,652
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,219 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Next week's episode: Omtsat learns that prices in Switzerland are often higher than in other countries.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 31.03.2015, 20:27
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,209
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,234 Times in 4,918 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Quote:
View Post
Just to drift a bit - what MM do need to do, is to improve their customer service.

I recently popped a 240/12V transformer for a combined TV/DVD player and wanted a replacement.
Seemed to be good all round availability from the the usual online suspects (Amazon/EBay), but as it was non-CH, would require a plug change and delay for shipping, so I thought I'd have a look in the local, BIG, Mediamarkt, and be typical Swiss and pay for convenience.

Being a midweek morning, there were more staff than customers, so, rather than wander around aimlessly, I asked some sales assistant bod, who, having ascertained it was for a TV, directed me to the only staff member on the TV dept. who was already with a customer.
After a token gesture wait of about 30 secs. I then plucked up the courage to interrupt the three staff members stood chatting. This time I didn't say it was for a TV, but was still taken to a differenct section and shown another staff member ..... who was with a customer.

So I told this first bod, that I wasn't going to wait, and he should show me where the universal, non-specific transformers are.

Whether he was pissed off at me, just stupid, didn't know, or actually right, he told me that they don't have any.

I found it hard to believe that that a store of hundreds of square metres of sales space, thousands of products and accessories, doesn't have a single, separate, generic universal transformer - the type that is used for TVs, monitors, LED lighting, to name three.

So here I wait for my near identical (slightly newer replacement model) to come from the UK - for less than 20 sovs (with shipping) ....... would have been even cheaper, if I hadn't ordered the one that comes with a cable and UK plug, which I don't need.
You should have come here where I frequently have the opposite problem. Go in there on a quiet weekday morning and there are hordes of eager sales staff flocking to assist you.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 31.03.2015, 20:40
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,086
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,056 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Quote:
View Post
Wanted to buy some ink for my Epson printer. The Epson Multipack ( original) was 70CHF at Mediamarkt. At Microspot it was 38CHF for exactly same produkt. And at Digitec 40 CHF.Thats what I call " abzockerei "from Mediamarkt
It is called competition... it is very common in Switzerland, so you always need to shop around!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 31.03.2015, 20:41
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,969
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,573 Times in 5,408 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Turnover at Dipl Ing Fust has overtaken Media-Markt's http://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft/...id3612828.html
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 31.03.2015, 21:23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 235
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Harrie Nak has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Oh noes, forum veterans / legends going at one another!

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 31.03.2015, 21:33
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,592
Groaned at 384 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 1,121 Times in 720 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Mediamarkt cheating on price. [Price higher than competitors]

Oh thanks for reminding me. Yes I finally got my sunglasses.
Quote:
View Post
That's why sensible people shop around.

Prices vary widely from shop to shop and product to product. Media markt may be cheaper for some things and more expensive for others, likewise for Fust, Interdiscount, Digitec etc.

Maybe prescription sunglasses are cheaper in Media markt.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garage cheating on price DKfribourg Transportation/driving 52 31.01.2015 23:22
For Sale, Half price Basel Pax Wardrobe 1.5 x by 2m high less than half price 240 CHF FabrizioM Items for sale 5 11.06.2013 14:38
higher price of laptop in Switzerland samirabsol Other/general 19 05.08.2011 11:27
5+ month gym membership for less than 1/2 price! rwread Items for sale 1 24.03.2011 11:09
Darty Price Match (refund for price difference locally) kirschner27 Other/general 5 08.08.2008 10:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0