Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.04.2015, 08:51
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,468 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
well, the problem is that it is not just at this time of the year, but it goes until snowfall again until around next December... also, when I look down, i see mud tracks and no grass.
.
Well the grass typically stops growing in ~October so it doesn't go on to December. And you should try living in the UK where they take lawns seriously and there is nothing to stop them mowing on Sundays or after 20:00.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:12
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
I checked my lawn - the dog is still visible when it walks on it, so it doesn't need cutting.

(Seriously - unless you are looking for make a bowling green and you are a "little England" about it, the first cut isn't needed quite yet. We still have frosts!)
Unless your mutt is a long-haired, short-legged variety, and ends up with wet socks and soggy tummy. So it's a toss up - mow the lawn or mop the floor, after every garden visit.

Quote:
View Post
Well the grass typically stops growing in ~October so it doesn't go on to December. And you should try living in the UK where they take lawns seriously and there is nothing to stop them mowing on Sundays or after 20:00.
Used to love that on a sunny, summers Sunday morning, as I did my paper round ..... the distant hum of a Briggs and Stratton and the delicate aroma of freshly cut grass.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 36
Groaned at 36 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts
Swiss787 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

ok, to all that protect and justify the chronic grass cutters, here are two pictures I took this morning, but I assume they will just answer that it looks beautiful and that it is normal (I also assume that they are the type of people I refer to in the original post).

I had to keep quality low, but you can clearly see the tracks, the mud and oh, I am 100% that the grass you see here will be cut again this friday, saturday or latest next monday...

So is this maintenance of a garden? Man, I just realized it hurts my eyes just looking at it, not just my ears when I constantly hear it.

And let's say people want to have their English castle gardens, why? why is it so much more important to have that perfect cut grass, polluting the environment, making unnecessary noise so the community especially elderly have to endure this constant noise? Is it so much more important to have that perfect cut grass? Sure, I understand that it going up to your knees is too much, but what is the problem with 5cm high grass? why does it need to be cut down twice a week to be 1cm high?
Attached Thumbnails
oh-no-grass-warriors-getting-ready-img_0085.jpg   oh-no-grass-warriors-getting-ready-img_0086.jpg  

Last edited by Swiss787; 09.04.2015 at 09:45.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Swiss787 for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 36
Groaned at 36 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts
Swiss787 has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Mine's a push-along one. Are you okay with that?
why would I not be ok with that? You're a true legend then... makes practically no noise, it is good for the environment. But apparently the people that groan on every post I make see it differently

Quote:
View Post
Tell them to go back to their own countries, as real Swiss mow their lawns several times a year, not several times a week.

Tom
well, the few people that do it around my place are Swiss, also think this stereotyping mentality you have that if something is wrong it must be because of foreigners is not really appropriate.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 09.04.2015 at 20:51. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at Swiss787 for this post:
  #25  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:41
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
why would I not be ok with that? You're a true legend then... makes practically no noise, it is good for the environment. But apparently the people that groan on every post I make see it differently
They do that because you don't multi-quote.

It also worth remembering that many blocks will have contracts with gardeners from the start of April until the end of October. They will turn up every 2 weeks and mow the lawn to its shortest setting.

I blame the stupid noble Swiss for employing people instead of doing it themselves every few days.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 36
Groaned at 36 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts
Swiss787 has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Sure ...
see sixth post above yours.

So in your opinion people should get noise protection but it is ok to continue add unnecessary pollution to the environment and reducing quality of life to the community?

Quote:
View Post
They do that because you don't multi-quote.

It also worth remembering that many blocks will have contracts with gardeners from the start of April until the end of October. They will turn up every 2 weeks and mow the lawn to its shortest setting.

I blame the stupid noble Swiss for employing people instead of doing it themselves every few days.
will try it from now on then. I am horrible with internet forums, always was

Last edited by 3Wishes; 09.04.2015 at 20:52. Reason: the multiquote button is to the right of the quote button ;)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Swiss787 for this post:
  #27  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:47
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
see sixth post above yours.

So in your opinion people should get noise protection but it is ok to continue add unnecessary pollution to the environment and reducing quality of life to the community?
Can we shoot people who ride those feckin' 2-stroke mofa things? They are noisier.

And people can only have their car windows down if their radios are turned off.

Children, babies and dogs must have their mouths sewn shut in case they make noise.

Teenagers aren't allowed to own music.

You are not allowed to socialise outside at anytime - and if you make any noise inside the windows must be shut.

Everyone must drive a Tesla.

And then finally - it will be illegal to drop a pin
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:54
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,201
Groaned at 317 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,565 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
Can we shoot people who ride those feckin' 2-stroke mofa things? They are noisier.

And people can only have their car windows down if their radios are turned off.

Children, babies and dogs must have their mouths sewn shut in case they make noise.

Teenagers aren't allowed to own music.

You are not allowed to socialise outside at anytime - and if you make any noise inside the windows must be shut.

Everyone must drive a Tesla.

And then finally - it will be illegal to drop a pin
But it is ok to let church bells ring as loud as possible.

Anyone complaining about mowers please go and live in place where noone else does
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 09.04.2015, 09:59
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

To refer to the hair analogy, I used previously - if long, healthy hair is required, then regularly cutting is needed to encourage and stimulate growth and to remove split ends.

If healthy, thick (although not necessarily long) grass is required, then regular cutting will encourage and stimulate growth. Also, as grass trimmings will be minimal, with regular cutting, then they don't have to be collected and disposed of and can mulch back into the earth.


..... and a word on hand-pushed mowers - whilst they don't have a motor throbbing away, they are not exactly quiet, either.
I bought one years ago, to see if I could occasionally get away with mowing on a Sunday, when insufficient time on Friday evening (traditional Swiss time for mowing) or Saturday.

I soon had to knock that idea on the head.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 09.04.2015, 10:10
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,446
Groaned at 96 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,766 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
see sixth post above yours.

So in your opinion people should get noise protection but it is ok to continue add unnecessary pollution to the environment and reducing quality of life to the community?
No... I did not suggest they should install a wind farm on your back yard in which case it would change the wind speed coming from the front yard.

Why won't they become more community proactive, use traditional ways and leave us alone ...
Attached Thumbnails
oh-no-grass-warriors-getting-ready-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09.04.2015, 10:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,460
Groaned at 55 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,316 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Not had the pleasure just yet but will probably dig out the mower out of the shed sometime this weekend. Guaranteed, within an hour of mowing my lawn I will hear another lawn mower crank up into action. Seems to be always like that.

Prefer the regular mowers to the robot mowers which whine constantly after there owners have gone out and forgot they even have a lawn.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09.04.2015, 10:13
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,761
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Are you just a tiny bit jealous as you can't afford a house with a garden.....?
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 09.04.2015, 10:43
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 538
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 740 Times in 295 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
ok, to all that protect and justify the chronic grass cutters, here are two pictures I took this morning, but I assume they will just answer that it looks beautiful and that it is normal (I also assume that they are the type of people I refer to in the original post).

I had to keep quality low, but you can clearly see the tracks, the mud and oh, I am 100% that the grass you see here will be cut again this friday, saturday or latest next monday...

So is this maintenance of a garden? Man, I just realized it hurts my eyes just looking at it, not just my ears when I constantly hear it.

And let's say people want to have their English castle gardens, why? why is it so much more important to have that perfect cut grass, polluting the environment, making unnecessary noise so the community especially elderly have to endure this constant noise? Is it so much more important to have that perfect cut grass? Sure, I understand that it going up to your knees is too much, but what is the problem with 5cm high grass? why does it need to be cut down twice a week to be 1cm high?
Why do you actually give a rat's ass about how other people's gardens look like?

And your comment about how people mowing their lawn are "polluting the environment" is just hilarious and borderline pathetic. As if lawnmowers are the biggest contributors to the depletion of the ozonlayers. Stop it please.

Why don't you move to a big nice city like New York or Singapore, I'm sure nobody will bother you there mowing their lawns....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank donpiedro for this useful post:
This user groans at donpiedro for this post:
  #34  
Old 09.04.2015, 10:54
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,468 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
And your comment about how people mowing their lawn are "polluting the environment" is just hilarious and borderline pathetic.
Actually because they don't have catalytic converters, petrol lawn mowers are a surprisingly significant contributor to local air pollution in areas where there are lots of gardens.

Mine is electric

Doesn't mean the rest of what he writes isn't rubbish btw...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 09.04.2015, 11:09
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 538
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 740 Times in 295 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
Actually because they don't have catalytic converters, petrol lawn mowers are a surprisingly significant contributor to local air pollution in areas where there are lots of gardens.
My gut says that cows are the bigger contributors as they don't have any catalyc converter either
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank donpiedro for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 09.04.2015, 11:23
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,761
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
My gut says that cows are the bigger contributors as they don't have any catalyc converter either
Yeah, but they're still better to eat than lawnmowers
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 09.04.2015, 11:32
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
My gut says that cows are the bigger contributors as they don't have any catalyc converter either
The highlight of the alpine calendar are some of the bovine lighting displays that are held post abfahrt. If you have never been it is well worth a trip. For those who don't know, once the cows are down from their summer meadows they are separated into groups where there feed is spiked with different chemicals. They are then lined up and their farts are lit - often this occurs in time with music and often stimulated via a mild electric shock. The different cow farts produce different colours based on the chemical additives.

Hugely entertaining for all the family - just don't sit near the front if you value your eyebrows!
__________________
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09.04.2015, 11:55
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,072
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,185 Times in 5,759 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
Mine is electric
Mine's push-along powered by me.

I often wonder why people (not you) get all these 'labour-saving' devices and then spend all that saved time and effort labouring away in the gym.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09.04.2015, 12:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,460
Groaned at 55 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,316 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

Quote:
View Post
Mine's push-along powered by me.

I often wonder why people (not you) get all these 'labour-saving' devices and then spend all that saved time and effort labouring away in the gym.
Because you can't mow the lawn in Winter?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09.04.2015, 12:01
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 3,183
Groaned at 40 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 6,416 Times in 2,036 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh no, the grass warriors are getting ready...

The average lawn mower produces as much hydrocarbons and nitrooxides PER HOUR as an average American car over 250 miles and as much carbon monoxide as said car over 400 miles.

Pretty good for such a tiny thing, innit?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brave warriors for freedom! No, hang on.... organ stealers! Oh dear... Dougal's Breakfast International affairs/politics 9 19.12.2010 22:05
Getting ready for the ski season Papa Goose Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 101 10.01.2010 15:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0