Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Chao has slipped a little
And he didn't called

Meet this stranger down the road asking me if I know any bank is open on Sunday (here in Basel). Said he just got a job here and just arrived and all his credit cards and stuff is with his wife who will come at a later day. He got several 1000 CHF notes (which I saw) and can not spend them and really need some change (later he said he has kids at home so I guess he was in a hurry to feed his kids). He was told he has to go to Zurich for that but his car is out of gas and he can not spend that 1000 buck note for gas. So I said let's try Claraplatz. I was just looking for food so decide to walk him. But when we almost got there he realized he checked there this morning and it was not openning. Then he asks if I can lend him 100 bucks for gas and he will give me back after he changed those notes in Zurich (couple of hours he said). I did hesitated but still picked up a 100 CHF and give to him. Then we got to a store where they sell lotteries to find a pen and I wrote my number on a pad so that he can call me when he got back. I guess in principle I should ask to keep some of his id card or sth but as we were walking down we had a lot of nice chat and I was embarrassed to ask. He knew I am a student and not making money, so he said he will give me 50 chf more as a thank you. I said it will not be necessary. Anyway, now it's getting late and he did not call. Maybe he just lost my number or sth, but I am just not happy about this. And the similar event happend to me once in Paris (the loss is 40CHF that time). I knew it is not a lot but I am not making any money (supported by parents doing master's here). Not revealing details about him in case he just lost my number or sth, but he said he is from New York. Normally I would recognize America accent right away but his kinda sounds Australian to me. Then he told me he grew up in Hawaii. And when he knew I am Chinese he said his sister married to a Chinese and he has been to Shanghai twice. Anyway, just feel bad and post this story here. If indeed he happened to lost the number or sth then I apologize.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chao for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at Chao for this post:
  #2  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:26
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: And he didn't called

Unfortunately, it sounds like a scam to me...

A lot of shops in Zurich will accept a 1000 CHF note. Every now and then I'll see someone pay at Migros with one and it is not in any way shocking.

Sorry it happened to you
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Arteemis for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:26
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,384 Times in 1,858 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

Are you for real?!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Chao has slipped a little
Re: And he didn't called

OK I am an idiot alright.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Chao for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:29
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: And he didn't called

I assume he did not give you his phone number either?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:29
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

you did it wrong. you lend him the 100 and say you will keep the 1000 for security and give 900 back to him later when he calls.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:30
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
you did it wrong. you lend him the 100 and say you will keep the 1000 for security and give 900 back to him later when he calls.
It could very well be that the 1000 CHF bills were fake though
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Arteemis for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Chao has slipped a little
Quote:
View Post
you did it wrong. you lend him the 100 and say you will keep the 1000 for security and give 900 back to him later when he calls.
But that could be fake money right>

Quote:
View Post
I assume he did not give you his phone number either?
If it is really a scam then I wouldn't be able to get through whatever number he gives me right? And he said he does not have swiss number as he just arrived.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 06.09.2015 at 21:37. Reason: merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:32
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,512
Groaned at 72 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,484 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

ok what are you selling?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Chao has slipped a little
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
ok what are you selling?
You mean the selling points of the story? Nothing just complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,146
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,737 Times in 9,483 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

I've bought chewing gum with a CHF 1k note, no problem.

(really, not making this up, it was just to see if I could )

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:47
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,296
Groaned at 107 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 14,219 Times in 5,025 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

You've been had mate.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Chao has slipped a little
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
You've been had mate.
What does that mean?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,268 Times in 556 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: And he didn't called


Hard to even find a smiley for this kind of message.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank neddy for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:49
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,506
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,082 Times in 2,889 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
You mean the selling points of the story? Nothing just complaining.
It's not really a complaint, but a warning to others.

It's 100% scam. Chalk it up to experience and move on...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:50
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
I've bought chewing gum with a CHF 1k note, no problem.

(really, not making this up, it was just to see if I could )

Tom
Beats me - I once used one to buy a sandwich and a drink in a Co-Op in Basel; it genuinely was the only money I had, and they didn't bat an eyelid when I asked if it was OK, or should I pay the 7 or 8 francs with a card instead.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:51
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berlin, Deutschland
Posts: 608
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 507 Times in 292 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
What does that mean?
You've been owned.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:52
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

Quote:
View Post
Meet this stranger down the road asking me if I know any bank is open on Sunday (here in Basel). Said he just got a job here and just arrived and all his credit cards and stuff is with his wife who will come at a later day. He got several 1000 CHF notes (which I saw) and can not spend them and really need some change (later he said he has kids at home so I guess he was in a hurry to feed his kids). He was told he has to go to Zurich for that but his car is out of gas and he can not spend that 1000 buck note for gas. So I said let's try Claraplatz. I was just looking for food so decide to walk him. But when we almost got there he realized he checked there this morning and it was not openning. Then he asks if I can lend him 100 bucks for gas and he will give me back after he changed those notes in Zurich (couple of hours he said). I did hesitated but still picked up a 100 CHF and give to him. Then we got to a store where they sell lotteries to find a pen and I wrote my number on a pad so that he can call me when he got back. I guess in principle I should ask to keep some of his id card or sth but as we were walking down we had a lot of nice chat and I was embarrassed to ask. He knew I am a student and not making money, so he said he will give me 50 chf more as a thank you. I said it will not be necessary. Anyway, now it's getting late and he did not call. Maybe he just lost my number or sth, but I am just not happy about this. And the similar event happend to me once in Paris (the loss is 40CHF that time). I knew it is not a lot but I am not making any money (supported by parents doing master's here). Not revealing details about him in case he just lost my number or sth, but he said he is from New York. Normally I would recognize America accent right away but his kinda sounds Australian to me. Then he told me he grew up in Hawaii. And when he knew I am Chinese he said his sister married to a Chinese and he has been to Shanghai twice. Anyway, just feel bad and post this story here. If indeed he happened to lost the number or sth then I apologize.
Look at it as a CHF 100 indirect downpayment to your English Forum paragraph structure course.
Reply With Quote
The following 15 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:53
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,308
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,914 Times in 4,090 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And he didn't called

As it seems you are unlikely to get much sympathy on here, if I were you I'd go to the top of this thread, click on Thread Tools, then click on Ignore Thread so that future comments no longer bother you. After that I would look around the forum to see how many other people made mistakes, often costing a lot more than Fr.100.00
Reply With Quote
The following 15 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 06.09.2015, 21:54
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berlin, Deutschland
Posts: 608
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 507 Times in 292 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: And he didn't called

What colour were the 1000 CHF bills he had?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
He was desperate! He didn't mean it really! Reb77Br International affairs/politics 4 17.10.2013 18:17
Superman: Why didn't he learn Kung Fu? economisto General off-topic 15 05.11.2010 20:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0