Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:25
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH.

Quote:
View Post
[Citation required].
I don't have time, just google it.
U.S government, National Cancer Institute, AMA have all officially recognized cannabis kills cancer. (Which they have known since the 70's) Plenty of scientific info as well.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at California Dreamer for this post:
  #22  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:35
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,067
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Well I read the opposite:

Quote:
There have been some early clinical trials of cannabinoids in treating cancer in humans and more studies are planned. While the studies so far have shown that cannabinoids can be safe in treating cancer, they do not show that they help control or cure the disease.
From here
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,391
Groaned at 369 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 22,391 Times in 10,076 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Can't you just get it on Kindle?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:40
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,067
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Is this it:

Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:41
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,225
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,243 Times in 4,926 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Can't you just get it on Kindle?
That would seem like a good solution assuming that he/she actually has one.

Some books work better on kindle than others from my point of view, novels are better than reference books for example.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:42
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Well I read the opposite:



From here
Well I read the opposite:

The effects of delta-9-THC and a synthetic agonist of the CB2 receptor were investigated in HCC.[15] Both agents reduced the viability of HCC cells in vitro and demonstrated antitumor effects in HCC subcutaneous xenografts in nude mice. The investigations documented that the anti-HCC effects are mediated by way of the CB2 receptor. Similar to findings in glioma cells, the cannabinoids were shown to trigger cell death through stimulation of an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway that activates autophagy and promotes apoptosis. Other investigations have confirmed that CB1 and CB2 receptors may be potential targets in non-small cell lung carcinoma [16] and breast cancer.[17]
An in vitro study of the effect of CBD on programmed cell death in breast cancer cell lines found that CBD induced programmed cell death, independent of the CB1, CB2, or vanilloid receptors. CBD inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines, inducing apoptosis in a concentration-dependent manner while having little effect on nontumorigenic mammary cells.[18] Other studies have also shown the antitumor effect of cannabinoids (i.e., CBD and THC) in preclinical models of breast cancer.[19,20]
From here
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...p/cannabis-pdq
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:45
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Is this it:

Ahh no.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:48
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,067
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Well I read the opposite:

The effects of delta-9-THC and a synthetic agonist of the CB2 receptor were investigated in HCC.[15] Both agents reduced the viability of HCC cells in vitro and demonstrated antitumor effects in HCC subcutaneous xenografts in nude mice. The investigations documented that the anti-HCC effects are mediated by way of the CB2 receptor. Similar to findings in glioma cells, the cannabinoids were shown to trigger cell death through stimulation of an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway that activates autophagy and promotes apoptosis. Other investigations have confirmed that CB1 and CB2 receptors may be potential targets in non-small cell lung carcinoma [16] and breast cancer.[17]
An in vitro study of the effect of CBD on programmed cell death in breast cancer cell lines found that CBD induced programmed cell death, independent of the CB1, CB2, or vanilloid receptors. CBD inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines, inducing apoptosis in a concentration-dependent manner while having little effect on nontumorigenic mammary cells.[18] Other studies have also shown the antitumor effect of cannabinoids (i.e., CBD and THC) in preclinical models of breast cancer.[19,20]
From here
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...p/cannabis-pdq

Models, nude mice, may, could, it's possible etc etc etc. Yes, that's lab stuff.

My link stated that there was 'no evidence' in actual clinical trials.

I was joking about the book.

Try Book Depository:

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:49
FunnyBone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 497
Groaned at 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 709 Times in 326 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Research papers are but a click away, and all you can do is pick on a person who is interested in conducting their own research??? Some scientists you, people, are, if you limit yourselves like this! Step out of your box, and stretch your imagination (not THC induced ). To start you off:

https://scholar.google.ch/scholar?q=...0%2C5&as_vis=1

https://scholar.google.ch/scholar?q=...0%2C5&as_vis=1

I left out the American papers because they might still be tainted with the years of propaganda against the plant.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank FunnyBone for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 09.11.2015, 14:54
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Models, nude mice, may, could, it's possible etc etc etc. Yes, that's lab stuff.

My link stated that there was 'no evidence' in actual clinical trials.

I was joking about the book.

Try Book Depository:

I will agree we need more clinical studies on all the other compounds found in the plant and their role. Outside of clinical studies are dozens and dozens of testimonials of real people who have beat cancer using cannabis concentrates, sometimes in as little as 3 months. The first rule of science is we do not talk....errr I mean first rule is observation. Plenty of people have observed cannabis curing cancer, science just needs to catch up.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:00
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Well I read the opposite:

The effects of delta-9-THC and a synthetic agonist of the CB2 receptor were investigated in HCC.[15] Both agents reduced the viability of HCC cells in vitro and demonstrated antitumor effects in HCC subcutaneous xenografts in nude mice. The investigations documented that the anti-HCC effects are mediated by way of the CB2 receptor. Similar to findings in glioma cells, the cannabinoids were shown to trigger cell death through stimulation of an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway that activates autophagy and promotes apoptosis. Other investigations have confirmed that CB1 and CB2 receptors may be potential targets in non-small cell lung carcinoma [16] and breast cancer.[17]
An in vitro study of the effect of CBD on programmed cell death in breast cancer cell lines found that CBD induced programmed cell death, independent of the CB1, CB2, or vanilloid receptors. CBD inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines, inducing apoptosis in a concentration-dependent manner while having little effect on nontumorigenic mammary cells.[18] Other studies have also shown the antitumor effect of cannabinoids (i.e., CBD and THC) in preclinical models of breast cancer.[19,20]
From here
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...p/cannabis-pdq
my phd work was remotely related to THC research. The problem with THC is, that it will bind any receptor or enzyme within the endocannbinoid system and hence it will most likely not be a good drug by itself (besides the poor pharmacokinetical properties). Small molecules that target CB1 and CB2 receptors are currently under development. However some potential candidates had to be removed from the pipeline due to undesired side effects.

BTW, this is what the conclusion of your link says:

"At present, there is insufficient evidence to recommend inhaling Cannabis as a treatment for cancer-related symptoms or cancer treatment–related side effects."
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:03
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH.

Quote:
View Post
I don't have time, just google it.
U.S government, National Cancer Institute, AMA have all officially recognized cannabis kills cancer. (Which they have known since the 70's) Plenty of scientific info as well.
you miss my point, which is that you will not find any studies which back up your original claims
Quote:
View Post
like how it cures cancer, ms, epilepsy, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, arthritis, autism, etc, etc.
Quote:
View Post
Chemo kills, cannabis heals*


* according to numerous studies from the U.S, Canada and Israel.
There are any number of studies that reach tenuous and differing conclusions that there may be some links, in a positive and negative direction, between cannabis and a variety of diseases and disorders, but that's not the same as reaching the conclusion you seem to be trying to push as fact.

Did I say negative? Yes, there are also numerous studies that link cannabis use with psychiatric, even psychotic, illness. Do you take those all at face value as well?

Oh, and it's a general rule of debate, scientific, legal or just down the pub, that it's up to the person introducing a line of argument to back it up, rather than just challenging others to disprove it.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,391
Groaned at 369 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 22,391 Times in 10,076 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Read an interesting article in the UK last week, about how ginger can be of great assistance with some cancers too. Will have to try and find the link when I have time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:10
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
my phd work was remotely related to THC research. The problem with THC is, that it will bind any receptor or enzyme within the endocannbinoid system and hence it will most likely not be a good drug by itself (besides the poor pharmacokinetical properties). Small molecules that target CB1 and CB2 receptors are currently under development. However some potential candidates had to be removed from the pipeline due to undesired side effects.

BTW, this is what the conclusion of your link says:

"At present, there is insufficient evidence to recommend inhaling Cannabis as a treatment for cancer-related symptoms or cancer treatment–related side effects."
Excatly. Inhailing. Many of other ways to ingest cannabis extracted medicine like tinctures, pills, honey infusions, etc. Plus processing plays a role as well as the presence of CBD as to how psychoactive the medicine is or is not. I read somewhere that you can process it so it remains THCa which is not psychoactive but also had a reduced effect of killing cancer cells.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:16
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH.

Quote:
View Post
you miss my point, which is that you will not find any studies which back up your original claims

There are any number of studies that reach tenuous and differing conclusions that there may be some links, in a positive and negative direction, between cannabis and a variety of diseases and disorders, but that's not the same as reaching the conclusion you seem to be trying to push as fact.

Did I say negative? Yes, there are also numerous studies that link cannabis use with psychiatric, even psychotic, illness. Do you take those all at face value as well?

Oh, and it's a general rule of debate, scientific, legal or just down the pub, that it's up to the person introducing a line of argument to back it up, rather than just challenging others to disprove it.

According to GW pharmacueticals cannabis that contains CBD is anti psychotic.
Street grass contains 0% CBD as is extremly high in THC plus God knows what else they sprayed it with. So strain choice is key to every study as every strain has a different cannabiod profile. I grew a mango haze plant which has a 1:1 THC/CBD at 10%. I've tried smoking it just because I was curious and even with my low tolerance I did not get high. I did experience a relaxing body buzz that was quite pleasant.

Last edited by California Dreamer; 09.11.2015 at 16:25.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09.11.2015, 15:40
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

I'm not sure where the research is, but I understand belief in itself has been shown to be effective against diseases, including cancer. So if you believe marijuana helps, then hell, why go looking for opinions to convince you otherwise?. So party on California!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09.11.2015, 16:02
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure where the research is, but I understand belief in itself has been shown to be effective against diseases, including cancer. So if you believe marijuana helps, then hell, why go looking for opinions to convince you otherwise?. So party on California!
I'm not looking for opinions to convince me either way. I watched cannabis save my aunts life. I just want my damn book. Party on Phos.
Attached Thumbnails
books-not-allowed-ch-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 09.11.2015, 16:09
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Typical EF.

Lots of people passing judgement on a book they haven't read.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 09.11.2015, 16:17
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Typical EF.

Lots of people passing judgement on a book they haven't read.
Do you have the scientific citations to back up that claim?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank California Dreamer for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 09.11.2015, 16:24
JoMiFa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 317
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 148 Posts
JoMiFa has earned the respect of manyJoMiFa has earned the respect of manyJoMiFa has earned the respect of many
Re: Books not allowed in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Well I read the opposite:

The effects of delta-9-THC and a synthetic agonist of the CB2 receptor were investigated in HCC.[15] Both agents reduced the viability of HCC cells in vitro and demonstrated antitumor effects in HCC subcutaneous xenografts in nude mice. The investigations documented that the anti-HCC effects are mediated by way of the CB2 receptor. Similar to findings in glioma cells, the cannabinoids were shown to trigger cell death through stimulation of an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway that activates autophagy and promotes apoptosis. Other investigations have confirmed that CB1 and CB2 receptors may be potential targets in non-small cell lung carcinoma [16] and breast cancer.[17]
An in vitro study of the effect of CBD on programmed cell death in breast cancer cell lines found that CBD induced programmed cell death, independent of the CB1, CB2, or vanilloid receptors. CBD inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines, inducing apoptosis in a concentration-dependent manner while having little effect on nontumorigenic mammary cells.[18] Other studies have also shown the antitumor effect of cannabinoids (i.e., CBD and THC) in preclinical models of breast cancer.[19,20]
From here
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/t...p/cannabis-pdq
Sulphuric acid also kills cancer cells in vitro. Should we also drink it?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JoMiFa for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at JoMiFa for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pets not allowed in apartment vagabondbz Pet corner 20 22.04.2012 13:16
Employment contract in English not allowed? Bergamo74 Permits/visas/government 20 02.02.2011 19:55
Graduating students in CH to be allowed to work in CH jrspet Permits/visas/government 5 16.06.2010 10:41
Combination Car Seat - Not Allowed in CH? monkeynose Family matters/health 2 19.03.2010 21:27
Kids under six not allowed in cinema redplaydoh Complaints corner 63 31.07.2007 16:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0