Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.11.2015, 00:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brugg
Posts: 13
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
pabitra has annoyed a few people around herepabitra has annoyed a few people around here
Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Recently I needed a cleaner to do a final cleaning for my apartment and had a very bad experience which I thought is worthy to share with other EF members. I put an advertisement in EF and got someone interested to do the job for me almost immediately. I agreed to pay him 30 Fr/hr which is the top end rate in my area.
He worked for me for 2 days and his cleaning was just average even though he was claiming that he is experienced. However it was not the cleaning which I am going to talk about!!!
First day he came to my house around 10:00. But when we counted the hrs at the end of the day, he was claiming that he started at 9:40. I thought it is one off and did not bother too much. Second day was even worse. I was waiting for him for the whole morning as he promised me to come very early around 8:00. Then I had to go out for a short time at around 10:00 and left the door open for him. Again when we counted the hours at the end, he claimed that he started working at 9:40. I was surprised but did not say a word, I don’t know why . But that was not the end of story. The guy said he needs to buy some more cleaning materials and went to a nearby store, only 5min away. He came back 1 hr later with a very funny story (make a guess!!!) and I had to pay for that time. He hardly used any of those cleaning materials and took with him at the end (even though I had to pay a good size of money for that without seeing any receipt as I trusted him blindly ). I still had some more surprises left. We stopped cleaning at 16:30 as my landlord came to visit the apartment. Obviously I could not pay him immediately as I was busy with my landlord showing the apartment. When my landlord left, it was 17:30. He claimed that I have to pay also for this last 1 hr for which he was sitting idle. And I did pay him all the money. So, I end up paying him an extra of more than 100 Fr for which he did not do any cleaning. I don’t know why I did not argue with him. Probably I was bit too nice. Indeed I bought him a packet of beers of his choice
But now I am really frustrated I needed a receipt for the money I payed to him. Since then I could not contact him for a minute. I mailed many times and never got a reply from him. Every time I called, he switched off his phone. It’s really strange. I don’t want to name and shame someone but unfortunately he is one of the Forum Legend. Lesson learned. Thank you EF for allowing me this space to relieve my frustration.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank pabitra for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at pabitra for this post:
  #2  
Old 10.11.2015, 00:27
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 919
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 2,211 Times in 859 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

do please tell us the funny story you mentioned
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.11.2015, 00:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brugg
Posts: 13
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
pabitra has annoyed a few people around herepabitra has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

He lost his way and was going round and round for 1 hr
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank pabitra for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.11.2015, 00:46
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 919
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 2,211 Times in 859 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

that's all you've got?

lesson learned, be more communicative next time. Maybe your post will make him feel bad and at least contact you with a receipt.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.11.2015, 00:50
19Monica's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 221
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 73 Posts
19Monica has earned the respect of many19Monica has earned the respect of many19Monica has earned the respect of many
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

He sounds dodgy but you shouldn't have allowed him to walk all over you like that.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 19Monica for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.11.2015, 02:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 5,403
Groaned at 149 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,899 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

You are expecting a receipt from someone you paid in cash?

If you wanted a proper end cleaning done you needed to hire a professional firm which offers a guarantee.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 10.11.2015, 07:52
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,209
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 8,111 Times in 2,959 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

If he started charging at 09.40, perhaps that included travelling time, which doesn't sound unreasonable. Of course he expected paying for the time he spent waiting for you; I certainly would.

The shopping trip, I can't really comment on. Sounds excessive, but we don't know the reasons.

And finally, the receipt. If you're going to pay cash to an individual, at well below the professional rate (I assume no insurance, tax or social payments were involved) then you're not going to get a receipt. What are you going to do with it anyway?

So, yeah, a general warning to watch out makes sense. But I don't see any real issue here. Just let it go and don't let it stress you.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.11.2015, 07:55
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,865
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,740 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

It doesn't sound too awful. It's normal to pay travel time.. So the 20 minutes to get there is legit. Did he not charge his return trip?

The only thing you can be a bit annoyed about is the hour he got lost and cleaning supplies he should have left with you and given a receipt. Was his phone not working? He couldn't call for directions?

Overall you wanted a bargain and got it. I guess the cleaning passed inspection and you saved, what, 300F (?) over what you would have paid a cleaning company?

Don't sweat it. Forget it and move on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 10.11.2015, 07:58
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,510
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,092 Times in 2,891 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

For nearly every job, one should get an overall price. Paying by the hour is a motivation to work (or in your case not work) more hours...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.11.2015, 08:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,118
Groaned at 107 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,561 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Did you get your deposit back? 30 buck per hour for a final clean is the cheapest I've ever heard of. Especially if you got your deposit back.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank i-b-deborah for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 10.11.2015, 08:47
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,384
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,957 Times in 6,289 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

You paid him under the table and expect a receipt?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 10.11.2015, 08:47
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Quote:
View Post
He sounds dodgy but you shouldn't have allowed him to walk all over you like that.
Nope - it wasn't me
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.11.2015, 08:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Quote:
View Post
Recently I needed a cleaner to do a final cleaning for my apartment and had a very bad experience which I thought is worthy to share with other EF members. I put an advertisement in EF and got someone interested to do the job for me almost immediately. I agreed to pay him 30 Fr/hr which is the top end rate in my area.
He worked for me for 2 days and his cleaning was just average even though he was claiming that he is experienced. However it was not the cleaning which I am going to talk about!!!
First day he came to my house around 10:00. But when we counted the hrs at the end of the day, he was claiming that he started at 9:40. I thought it is one off and did not bother too much. Second day was even worse. I was waiting for him for the whole morning as he promised me to come very early around 8:00. Then I had to go out for a short time at around 10:00 and left the door open for him. Again when we counted the hours at the end, he claimed that he started working at 9:40. I was surprised but did not say a word, I don’t know why . But that was not the end of story. The guy said he needs to buy some more cleaning materials and went to a nearby store, only 5min away. He came back 1 hr later with a very funny story (make a guess!!!) and I had to pay for that time. He hardly used any of those cleaning materials and took with him at the end (even though I had to pay a good size of money for that without seeing any receipt as I trusted him blindly ). I still had some more surprises left. We stopped cleaning at 16:30 as my landlord came to visit the apartment. Obviously I could not pay him immediately as I was busy with my landlord showing the apartment. When my landlord left, it was 17:30. He claimed that I have to pay also for this last 1 hr for which he was sitting idle. And I did pay him all the money. So, I end up paying him an extra of more than 100 Fr for which he did not do any cleaning. I don’t know why I did not argue with him. Probably I was bit too nice. Indeed I bought him a packet of beers of his choice
But now I am really frustrated I needed a receipt for the money I payed to him. Since then I could not contact him for a minute. I mailed many times and never got a reply from him. Every time I called, he switched off his phone. It’s really strange. I don’t want to name and shame someone but unfortunately he is one of the Forum Legend. Lesson learned. Thank you EF for allowing me this space to relieve my frustration.
You don't want to name and shame, but now we know he is a forum legend with an "off the cuff" cleaning service.

Did this person seem to be acting a little... Confloozed?

Last edited by Richdog; 10.11.2015 at 10:36.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 10.11.2015, 10:25
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,761
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

If you haven't got the balls to tell him BEFORE paying him, what do you expect ?

Bitching and moaning here will do nothing, apart from showing what a weak character you have

Either face the problem and deal with it properly or accept you're getting screwed.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 10.11.2015, 10:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 5,403
Groaned at 149 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,899 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Never mind the warning to others . The OP did not hire a professional cleaner. There can be be consequences for a person who hires soneone and pays cash.

The one who also needs to be careful is the one working for cash. If he pisses off the wrong person the consequences will be a lot worse than naming and shaming on EF.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.11.2015, 10:42
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,384
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,957 Times in 6,289 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Personally, I would love to hear the other side of that story...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 10.11.2015, 10:57
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Quote:
View Post
The one who also needs to be careful is the one working for cash. If he pisses off the wrong person the consequences will be a lot worse than naming and shaming on EF.
Your making an assumption here, working for cash & not declaring your earnings are not the same. Actually the consequences are fairly lame, but thats because in Switzerland tax evasion is not a crime.

It's more likely a problem for the 'employer' rather than the employee, especially if there is an accident and the employee is injured. Remember the employee worked more than 8 hours.....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 12.11.2015, 11:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,118
Groaned at 107 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,561 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Where is the OP??? I need an answer to my question, did the flat pass inspection?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank i-b-deborah for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 12.11.2015, 16:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Quote:
View Post
Recently I needed a cleaner to do a final cleaning for my apartment and had a very bad experience which I thought is worthy to share with other EF members. I put an advertisement in EF and got someone interested to do the job for me almost immediately. I agreed to pay him 30 Fr/hr which is the top end rate in my area.
He worked for me for 2 days and his cleaning was just average even though he was claiming that he is experienced. However it was not the cleaning which I am going to talk about!!!
First day he came to my house around 10:00. But when we counted the hrs at the end of the day, he was claiming that he started at 9:40. I thought it is one off and did not bother too much. Second day was even worse. I was waiting for him for the whole morning as he promised me to come very early around 8:00. Then I had to go out for a short time at around 10:00 and left the door open for him. Again when we counted the hours at the end, he claimed that he started working at 9:40. I was surprised but did not say a word, I don’t know why . But that was not the end of story. The guy said he needs to buy some more cleaning materials and went to a nearby store, only 5min away. He came back 1 hr later with a very funny story (make a guess!!!) and I had to pay for that time. He hardly used any of those cleaning materials and took with him at the end (even though I had to pay a good size of money for that without seeing any receipt as I trusted him blindly ). I still had some more surprises left. We stopped cleaning at 16:30 as my landlord came to visit the apartment. Obviously I could not pay him immediately as I was busy with my landlord showing the apartment. When my landlord left, it was 17:30. He claimed that I have to pay also for this last 1 hr for which he was sitting idle. And I did pay him all the money. So, I end up paying him an extra of more than 100 Fr for which he did not do any cleaning. I don’t know why I did not argue with him. Probably I was bit too nice. Indeed I bought him a packet of beers of his choice
But now I am really frustrated I needed a receipt for the money I payed to him. Since then I could not contact him for a minute. I mailed many times and never got a reply from him. Every time I called, he switched off his phone. It’s really strange. I don’t want to name and shame someone but unfortunately he is one of the Forum Legend. Lesson learned. Thank you EF for allowing me this space to relieve my frustration.
May I ask why didn't you hire a professional cleaning company? You would have known what they charge and how much.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 12.11.2015, 16:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cleaner? be careful !!!

Quote:
View Post
May I ask why didn't you hire a professional cleaning company? You would have known what they charge and how much.
Because people want something for nothing. They want to pay less and get the same quality of service.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be careful with doors glowjupiter Family matters/health 12 08.03.2015 18:21
Be careful with Robeez slippers! NewOneINseefeld Family matters/health 23 29.06.2012 12:18
Be careful on Zurich Bellevue mr. Anderson Other/general 8 06.09.2011 10:11
Be careful of scammers! Angela-74 Pet Trading Post 12 03.03.2011 14:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0