Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:07
Horatio Gonzales's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 340
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 93 Times in 52 Posts
Horatio Gonzales has earned some respectHoratio Gonzales has earned some respect
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
There is nothing prompt in a pint of Guinness.
all good things...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Horatio Gonzales for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:12
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mostly Zurich
Posts: 5,052
Groaned at 29 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 12,345 Times in 3,174 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
And what's that as a percentage of takings and how typical a Swiss bar do you run? Any foreigners come there for example? In New York for example, tips run about 18% of the nights takings. Here I've seen some people leave a couple of coins at best.
We get about 70% Swiss customers, and it's those that usually tip the most, usually 10 - 15%. Americans (who live here) tend to tip the least.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 504
Groaned at 33 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 427 Times in 234 Posts
snapsterone has earned the respect of manysnapsterone has earned the respect of manysnapsterone has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
And what's that as a percentage of takings and how typical a Swiss bar do you run? Any foreigners come there for example? In New York for example, tips run about 18% of the nights takings. Here I've seen some people leave a couple of coins at best.
Most people that I know just round up the bill and don`t leave coins on the table.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:31
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 724
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,537 Times in 553 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post


Seriously now, do you have any idea how ridiculous and pompous that kind of statement is? In general, not only coming from your mouth....
So, what is the explanation for the line jumping and general free for all?


If it is culturally accepted here to exert your dominance as the alpha wolf, then great! I am a big guy yet very agile and have no problem throwing a few elbows along with a hip check or two to get through. If challenged - feck off! I'm American and therefore it is my cultural and evolutionary right to ascend to the head of the line! Bow to my greatness, bitch! I'll fit right in.

But that just doesn't seem to be very cultured; especially in the land of I'm OK and you're OK and we are all equal, comrade.


It has to be something else that I am just not understanding.


Edit: and for those with limited snark/sarcasm detection - please ignore para 2&3. You might think I am an ugly American.


TOO LATE

Last edited by VFR on top; 07.12.2015 at 14:36. Reason: groan avoidance
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,147
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,740 Times in 9,484 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Here I've seen some people leave a couple of coins at best.
That's still tipping.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:44
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Here I've seen some people leave a couple of coins at best.
Isn't that what a tip is?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
So, what is the explanation for the line jumping and general free for all?


If it is culturally accepted here to exert your dominance as the alpha wolf, then great! I am a big guy yet very agile and have no problem throwing a few elbows along with a hip check or two to get through. If challenged - feck off! I'm American and therefore it is my cultural and evolutionary right to ascend to the head of the line! Bow to my greatness, bitch! I'll fit right in.

But that just doesn't seem to be very cultured; especially in the land of I'm OK and you're OK and we are all equal, comrade.


It has to be something else that I am just not understanding.


Edit: and for those with limited snark/sarcasm detection - please ignore para 2&3. You might think I am an ugly American.


TOO LATE
I didn't see greenmount's post until you quoted it as I've had her on ignore for a while now, but her response seems to fit with her general dullard style of coming into a thread, rubbishing a statement, and provide zero rationality for doing so.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Richdog for this post:
  #68  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Birmingham/Liestal
Posts: 23
Groaned at 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
butchersblock is considered a nuisancebutchersblock is considered a nuisancebutchersblock is considered a nuisance
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that what a tip is?
Not really and certainly not for the purposes of my point and this thread which is that tipping doesn't form any significant portion of a wait staff's earnings and so won't influence service levels which are generally catastrophic
Reply With Quote
This user groans at butchersblock for this post:
  #69  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:51
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Not really and certainly not for the purposes of my point and this thread which is that tipping doesn't form any significant portion of a wait staff's earnings and so won't influence service levels which are generally catastrophic
Hardly "catastrophic"

The simple solution for you is to stay in and feast on the massive chip on your shoulder, saving you the pain of suffering a catastrophy in the form of being out manoevered by a swiss granny in a bar.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 07.12.2015, 14:58
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
I don't line-jump, but after having this happen a couple of times I learned to stand my ground - because otherwise you'll stand there all day. Also, it shocks the heck out of the line-jumper.
I had a nasty specimen at Zürich airport just some weeks back.

The Oh and I were waiting to take a coffee at the coffee bar just before you enter the security area

That place is already overpriced even by Swiss standards so we were hoping at least the service might be up to scratch.

We spent a long long time waiting while the server went about rattling saucers and pretending to clean tables, despite looking our way and saying he'd be over in a minute.

Then another guest arrived and she was served before us. We decided enough was enough and left makiong loud noises about how useless the service was, in the process turning back some more people who were about to walk in. The barrista guy actually had the nerve to run after us shouting at us for being so rude.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 07.12.2015, 15:29
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
I had a nasty specimen at Zürich airport just some weeks back...
Had a similar experience last month, likely at the same coffee bar. Maybe even the same server. Although she took and delivered my order in a timely manner, it was nearly impossible to pay.

I asked for the bill as soon as the coffee came, as I knew I didn't have tons of time. She said sure and then went on doing her thing for quite some time. She even brought the card machine to the American guy next to me and was all cheerful with him even though I'd asked long before he did. Maybe the fact I spoke German with her made her think I was less important than the American in a fancy suit? Anywho, I packed up my stuff and started to walk out, and that's when she came hurrying with the bill.

No tip for her, not even a few rappen in rounding up.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 07.12.2015, 15:59
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,448
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,519 Times in 3,045 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

a little of topic


http://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-story/...f-the-shadows/
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:08
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,390
Groaned at 160 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 7,735 Times in 3,203 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

It can be very frustrating.

I feel it's the duty of a customer to say when something ain't right in service, but it's best not to do this by flapping arms about and making a scene. Asking the person who served you if you could have a quiet word - away from the crowd if possible - gets their attention and shows you're not playing the big swinging dck.

Every time I've taken someone aside and explained why I thought it was lousy service I've received an apology and oftentimes a free round.

Before getting curmudgeonly - warranted or not - keep calm and let them know why it was bad service. Your mileage may vary but before getting yourself worked up - nobody else is and that's equally infuriating - seek to resolve your frustration quietly. It goes a long way in a country where the worst thing to do is point out 'they' did something wrong; apologies don't come easily here.

Anyway, to the OP, if you were in the Corazon it's certainly time to find a new watering hole. Even their staff say their service sucks.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:09
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Not really and certainly not for the purposes of my point and this thread which is that tipping doesn't form any significant portion of a wait staff's earnings and so won't influence service levels which are generally catastrophic
I guess that's where you and I differ then and I think the difference is cultural.
Where I come from and in every place I've lived ( with the exception of a 6 month spell n the U.S.) a tip is a little bit extra to show appreciation for excellent service and doesn't form a significant part of their earnings.
The staff are paid to do their jobs and if they go the extra mile then they get a tip.
A good server can earn themselves quite a bit extra by being nice and friendly and helpful whereas a rubbish one won't.

Personally I have never encountered catastrophic service here, some are better than others but that's the same everywhere. If they're particularly bad then we just don't go back again.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 07.12.2015 at 19:24.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
It can be very frustrating.

I feel it's the duty of a customer to say when something ain't right in service, but it's best not to do this by flapping arms about and making a scene. Asking the person who served you if you could have a quiet word - away from the crowd if possible - gets their attention and shows you're not playing the big swinging dck.

Every time I've taken someone aside and explained why I thought it was lousy service I've received an apology and oftentimes a free round.

Before getting curmudgeonly - warranted or not - keep calm and let them know why it was bad service. Your mileage may vary but before getting yourself worked up - nobody else is and that's equally infuriating - seek to resolve your frustration quietly. It goes a long way in a country where the worst thing to do is point out 'they' did something wrong; apologies don't come easily here.

Anyway, to the OP, if you were in the Corazon it's certainly time to find a new watering hole. Even their staff say their service sucks.
Under normal conditions I would agree with you.

But being in a place like an airport often means people have limited time and need to be moving on within a tight timeframe. If a server doesn't appreciate that and remains unapproachable, talking to them isn't an option, as if they would actually listen to you, you could use that opportunity to order or pay or whatever and thus wouldn't have an issue in the first place.

So you can either just pretend all is fine, which is just reinforcing that behaviour (seeing they probably don't actually care whether you walk out having been served or not), or make some noises, which may hopefully start some level of self reflection, or maybe just reinforce their attitude that the customer is the enemy.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
It can be very frustrating.

I feel it's the duty of a customer to say when something ain't right in service, but it's best not to do this by flapping arms about and making a scene. Asking the person who served you if you could have a quiet word - away from the crowd if possible - gets their attention and shows you're not playing the big swinging dck.

Every time I've taken someone aside and explained why I thought it was lousy service I've received an apology and oftentimes a free round.

Before getting curmudgeonly - warranted or not - keep calm and let them know why it was bad service. Your mileage may vary but before getting yourself worked up - nobody else is and that's equally infuriating - seek to resolve your frustration quietly. It goes a long way in a country where the worst thing to do is point out 'they' did something wrong; apologies don't come easily here.
Agree with the above.

Quote:
Anyway, to the OP, if you were in the Corazon it's certainly time to find a new watering hole. Even their staff say their service sucks.
The thread isn't about Corazon per se and it's not my watering hole, it's just the most recent example of a bar we visited that exhibited the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,059
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,962 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Had a similar experience last month, likely at the same coffee bar. Maybe even the same server. Although she took and delivered my order in a timely manner, it was nearly impossible to pay.

I asked for the bill as soon as the coffee came, as I knew I didn't have tons of time. She said sure and then went on doing her thing for quite some time. She even brought the card machine to the American guy next to me and was all cheerful with him even though I'd asked long before he did. Maybe the fact I spoke German with her made her think I was less important than the American in a fancy suit? Anywho, I packed up my stuff and started to walk out, and that's when she came hurrying with the bill.

No tip for her, not even a few rappen in rounding up.
When I'm in a hurry I usually request the bill the moment I order, this prevents this kind of problem.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 504
Groaned at 33 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 427 Times in 234 Posts
snapsterone has earned the respect of manysnapsterone has earned the respect of manysnapsterone has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Bugger me backwards. I never knew that ordering a beer stressed people out so much. Loosen up and enjoy. (When you finally get served that is.)
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank snapsterone for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 07.12.2015, 17:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
discodan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Quote:
View Post
Bugger me backwards. I never knew that ordering a beer stressed people out so much. Loosen up and enjoy. (When you finally get served that is.)
What he said ....but, agree with the suggestion about asking for the bill when you order, it seems to be the only way to ensure leaving the establishment when you want to, rather than when they want you too!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07.12.2015, 17:23
BokerTov's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 1,817
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,338 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss bar staff awareness when serving drinks...

Walk up to the bar, find a spot as soon as it frees up, and make eye contact with the bartender. You will get served, if not immediately, a few minutes later. That has been my experience in general, including in Zurich. A couple of times the place was so crowded I did not mind waiting (cut some slack to the staff), a couple of times I was in a hurry and brought my business elsewhere. No big deal.

I do remember that in Zurich, more so than in other places, they regularly got my drinks wrong. "I'll have a coke" somehow became "A Jack and coke" more than once. When pointed out the mistake, they were apologetic and only charged me for the coke (except one time, a-hole bartender). Oh well, what can I say, I'll sacrifice and drink the alcohol if I must
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BokerTov for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Zurich, Drinks/Bar, Talacker Bar) Midweek Drinks at the Talacker Bar | Tue 25.2.2014 UncleMike988 Social events 0 18.02.2014 13:58
Wanted: Female Bar Staff glendamwm Jobs offered 1 21.01.2014 14:19
WANTED - Experienced Bar Staff infopubzurich Jobs offered 0 11.06.2012 15:30
Bar Staff needed for Wedding ausiegirl Jobs offered 2 01.07.2011 01:32
(Zurich, Drinks/Bar, Talaker Bar) ZH-Th Afternoon Drinks | 07.05.2009 15:00 - 19:00 paula stuart Social events 6 07.05.2009 17:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0