Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:19
Susan57's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kilchberg ZH
Posts: 884
Groaned at 23 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,164 Times in 442 Posts
Susan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

I am not sure if I understand the OP's rant regarding marketplace use, though I can imagine it is an effort to control over-use of the marketplace. HOWEVER, I do have some concerns regarding its use.

Recently, I posted a GIANT moving sale, in an effort to downsize. Although I sincerely appreciate the response, I also found the following:

1. Reservations and appointments made are not always kept.

2. It appears some EFers are making a business out of FREE ITEMS...and are not transparent.

3. The AMOUNT OF TIME responding to messages, emails, text messages and meeting buyers IS CONSIDERABLE! I think in the future I shall simply donate all small ticket items. One lady wrote EIGHT messages, changed her appointment numerous times and finally had her husband show up at 22:00! Even though I mentioned he would need a large van, he showed up with a normal 7 seater. Naturally, a lot of the reserved items were left behind, which I had to sort out. Money made? 250 chf....while I lost many hours of my needed time for the move!

4. Unfortunately, garage sales are not well seen in Switzerland and we lived on a dead end street, so I couldn't simply put things on the curb. A garage sale would certainly have been easier, than item by item postings. Especially for small items.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Susan57 for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,191
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,948 Times in 4,678 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Full disclosure: I wanted to post something (a damn table I can't seem to get rid of ) on the "Free Stuff" section, but I was warned by 3Wishes that I wasn't posting enough outside the Marketplace forums. 3Wishes : I didn't post this just to fulfill some quota or to have an exception, I really do think that something is broken in these rules...
If that is true then that is silly of 3Wishes. If a person has the required number of posts to post something as defined in the rules, and didn't spam, then warning them that "they don't post enough outside of that section" seems unnecessary, arbitrary, and counter-productive.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
This user groans at Richdog for this post:
  #23  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:26
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,407
Groaned at 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,447 Times in 752 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

You've been here for years, and half your post count seems to be in this one thread.

I personally think it is more than fair to expect people to contribute to the forum in general, it isn't that much of a hardship.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank krlock3 for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:29
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
seems unnecessary, arbitrary, and counter-productive.
It is an EF mod - exactly what were you expecting?

(Feeling a Fawlty Towers sketch about to be rehashed)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:34
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,407
Groaned at 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,447 Times in 752 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Cannot see how any of this can be controlled by or is the responsibility of EF.




Quote:
View Post
I am not sure if I understand the OP's rant regarding marketplace use, though I can imagine it is an effort to control over-use of the marketplace. HOWEVER, I do have some concerns regarding its use.

Recently, I posted a GIANT moving sale, in an effort to downsize. Although I sincerely appreciate the response, I also found the following:

1. Reservations and appointments made are not always kept.

2. It appears some EFers are making a business out of FREE ITEMS...and are not transparent.

3. The AMOUNT OF TIME responding to messages, emails, text messages and meeting buyers IS CONSIDERABLE! I think in the future I shall simply donate all small ticket items. One lady wrote EIGHT messages, changed her appointment numerous times and finally had her husband show up at 22:00! Even though I mentioned he would need a large van, he showed up with a normal 7 seater. Naturally, a lot of the reserved items were left behind, which I had to sort out. Money made? 250 chf....while I lost many hours of my needed time for the move!

4. Unfortunately, garage sales are not well seen in Switzerland and we lived on a dead end street, so I couldn't simply put things on the curb. A garage sale would certainly have been easier, than item by item postings. Especially for small items.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:41
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

shame you have missed previous threads that explain well why people have to have X amount of posts before using just the marketplace non stop for their posts.

Many of us avoid weekends threads, as full of market place starts

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it should be closed... but at the same time I think people should be able to post there without so many restrictions. I'm a EF lurker since I move to Switzerland, I open it almost everyday and take a look at a dozen or so posts. But I'm not inclined to post or reply - why should that be a requirement for me to then participate on this "community" by selling, buying or giving away stuff? Aren't they both valid ways to participate?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,654
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Cannot see how any of this can be controlled by or is the responsibility of EF.

come on man, this is the complaints corner!
for points that make sense, you need to post in forum support.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:52
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
If a person has the required number of posts to post something as defined in the rules, and didn't spam, then warning them that "they don't post enough outside of that section" seems unnecessary,
There are sometimes a few posters, and there have been more in the past , who seem to be making a living out of selling stuff here, and who otherwise contribute nothing to the forum. Occasionally these have been seen to be exploiting the membership, rather than helping it. Warning PMs are one way to help avoid this.


Quote:
View Post
Quote:
View Post
arbitrary,
It is an EF mod - exactly what were you expecting?
Quite. Arbitrary comes with the territory, as we are all individuals [1]
Quote:
and counter-productive.
In what way?

Quote:
View Post
(Feeling a Fawlty Towers sketch about to be rehashed)
[1] "I'm not. " [2]

[2] Yes, I know.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,191
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,948 Times in 4,678 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
In what way?
Because warning people for doing nothing wrong, when they are ultimately giving things away for free to the community, isn't productive.

Quote:
View Post
I am not sure if I understand the OP's rant regarding marketplace use, though I can imagine it is an effort to control over-use of the marketplace. HOWEVER, I do have some concerns regarding its use.

Recently, I posted a GIANT moving sale, in an effort to downsize. Although I sincerely appreciate the response, I also found the following:

1. Reservations and appointments made are not always kept.

2. It appears some EFers are making a business out of FREE ITEMS...and are not transparent.

3. The AMOUNT OF TIME responding to messages, emails, text messages and meeting buyers IS CONSIDERABLE! I think in the future I shall simply donate all small ticket items. One lady wrote EIGHT messages, changed her appointment numerous times and finally had her husband show up at 22:00! Even though I mentioned he would need a large van, he showed up with a normal 7 seater. Naturally, a lot of the reserved items were left behind, which I had to sort out. Money made? 250 chf....while I lost many hours of my needed time for the move!

4. Unfortunately, garage sales are not well seen in Switzerland and we lived on a dead end street, so I couldn't simply put things on the curb. A garage sale would certainly have been easier, than item by item postings. Especially for small items.
Those are problems common to dealing with people in general, and not a reflection on the usefulness of such forums.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:54
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,241 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
4. Unfortunately, garage sales are not well seen in Switzerland and we lived on a dead end street, so I couldn't simply put things on the curb. A garage sale would certainly have been easier, than item by item postings. Especially for small items.
Not well seen? They are just not very usual and unfortunatly rather rare. But I do not have the impression they are frowned uppon.

A question: Did you see any correlation between buyer and forum behavior? Were the users with more or with less posst and/or repuation the better ones?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02.06.2016, 12:59
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Because warning people for doing nothing wrong, when they are ultimately giving things away for free to the community, isn't productive.
Pretty sure these warnings are not aimed at folks who are only posting free stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:01
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,058
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,583 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
A question: Did you see any correlation between buyer and forum behavior? Were the users with more or with less posst and/or repuation the better ones?


Well, I had a "sales transaction" yesterday with a Forum Legend. It went well, we met up, exchanged money/goods and we both left happy :-)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:07
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Well, I had a "sales transaction" yesterday with a Forum Legend. It went well, we met up, exchanged money/goods and we both left happy :-)
Any transaction I've had with an "established" member has gone well. Transactions with less established members haven't always been successful.

Anyone with over 1000 posts has "invested" in the community and so transacting with them is more like "doing a mate a favour".
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:08
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,221
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,241 Times in 4,924 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
If that is true then that is silly of 3Wishes. If a person has the required number of posts to post something as defined in the rules, and didn't spam, then warning them that "they don't post enough outside of that section" seems unnecessary, arbitrary, and counter-productive.
Have you looked at his post history?
With the exception of this thread every single one of his posts is in the market place.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:10
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,840
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,510 Times in 6,686 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Have you looked at his post history?
With the exception of this thread every single one of his posts is in the market place.
That behavior alone warrants them receiving red-rep from all forum legends
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:12
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 655
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 662 Times in 369 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
4. Unfortunately, garage sales are not well seen in Switzerland and we lived on a dead end street, so I couldn't simply put things on the curb. A garage sale would certainly have been easier, than item by item postings. Especially for small items.
But you could actually organize a garage-sale, with the advantage that you could describe/show the items in advance and publish it on here early enough.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:16
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,988
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,275 Times in 5,017 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
...Tl;DR
I want to post only in the market place (this being the only place outside of there where I've posted) and resent not being allowed to, so invent stories about why people don't post in the EF
The lady doth protest too much, methinks. I detect disingenuity.
Quote:
View Post
One person's crap is another person's fertilizer.
But both stink.
Quote:
View Post
In my perspective, apart from brown sugar or kosher salt, all things people (myself included) post it are only "random crap"
Ah, but it's substantive random crap.
Quote:
View Post
It appears some EFers are making a business out of FREE ITEMS...and are not transparent.
How does that work then? And if it is the case - name and shame. Then it becomes transparent.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:22
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 225 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 10,872 Times in 3,321 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
How does that work then? And if it is the case - name and shame. Then it becomes transparent.
Giving one red blobbies also helps.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:24
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Quote:

It appears some EFers are making a business out of FREE ITEMS...and are not transparent.
How does that work then?
Taking as much free stuff as they can get and selling it on (elsewhere, presumably) to make a profit.

I'm not aware of anyone here specifically, but i know it can happen.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 02.06.2016, 13:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 655
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 662 Times in 369 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: EF Marketplace posting rant

Quote:
View Post
Not well seen? They are just not very usual and unfortunatly rather rare. But I do not have the impression they are frowned uppon.
Actually we just call them "Flohmarkt" here and ofcourse they are thoroughly organized here
As OP is in Aarau, here's the leaflet of last year. Just call Marcel Egloff about dates this year.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threaten by company on legal action against posting on EF my bad experience with them Dariush Complaints corner 108 11.11.2015 17:08
EF Posting Averages Sbrinz General off-topic 34 07.08.2014 14:44
posting on marketplace bulletin message nash009 Forum support 5 16.07.2014 12:44
Thread Titles when posting on EF Lynn Forum support 2 15.03.2011 15:22
The EF Marketplace economisto Forum support 40 15.07.2010 10:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0