Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #581  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:11
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,969
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,573 Times in 5,408 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Read the article please. Even Aldi go to the markets in Italy.

In my opinion the quality of the fruit and vegetables are better here than in Germany or France, and the quality in Coop is much better than Migros.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #582  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:14
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,969
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,018 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Read the article please. Even Aldi go to the markets in Italy.

In my opinion the quality of the fruit and vegetables are better here than in Germany or France, and the quality in Coop is much better than Migros.
I worked in the procurement department for a Swiss retailer..the article is bogus. The quality is by far inferior to the quality of other EU countries for precisely the reason I've stated before.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #583  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:15
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,969
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,573 Times in 5,408 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

I will tell them they are writing bull shit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #584  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

another example: plate rack dryer CH 20CH, DE €6.50 exactly the same product with sticker proudly displaying "swiss quality made in Switzerland"

The mind boggles.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
This user groans at rob1 for this post:
  #585  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:20
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,969
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,018 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I will tell them they are writing bull shit.
Feel free..there is no way, that a retailer will purchase something like fruits and veggies from a wholesale market. Those markets are usually for restaurants and certain small shops...but any business, which buys voluminous quantities certainly have the common sense of knocking out any possible middlemen.
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:21
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,153
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I worked in the procurement department for a Swiss retailer..the article is bogus. The quality is by far inferior to the quality of other EU countries for precisely the reason I've stated before.
That is so true, not only for me, but to the 80 odd Swiss Einkaufstouristen in this Inter Regio train that has just left Konstanz.
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:27
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Read the article please. Even Aldi go to the markets in Italy.

In my opinion the quality of the fruit and vegetables are better here than in Germany or France, and the quality in Coop is much better than Migros.
For the thousandth time here (maybe a slight exaggeration)....

The COST of something and the PRICE of something HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP AT ALL!!!

NONE!

The value of something is what - and only what - somebody is prepared to pay for it....this is the price. The cost is utterly irrelevant. Why can't people either accept of understand that!

The ONLY time it matters is if the cost is higher than the value - in which case, nobody sells it
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #588  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:31
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,969
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,018 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
For the thousandth time here (maybe a slight exaggeration)....

The COST of something and the PRICE of something HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP AT ALL!!!

NONE!

The value of something is what - and only what - somebody is prepared to pay for it....this is the price. The cost is utterly irrelevant. Why can't people either accept of understand that!

The ONLY time it matters is if the cost is higher than the value - in which case, nobody sells it
Agreed to a certain extend. The main thing is, that in Switzerland, you don't necessarily have many options not to pay the price for goods, as prices are very similar and therefore, you are forced to pay whatever it says on the sticker.
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:31
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,203
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 8,093 Times in 2,953 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
For the thousandth time here (maybe a slight exaggeration)....

The COST of something and the PRICE of something HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP AT ALL!!!

NONE!

The value of something is what - and only what - somebody is prepared to pay for it....this is the price. The cost is utterly irrelevant. Why can't people either accept of understand that!

The ONLY time it matters is if the cost is higher than the value - in which case, nobody sells it
I value what you are saying, but I ain't paying for it. Fortunately it costs nothing.

Ow. My head. I'm all confused now
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #590  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:40
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,505
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,082 Times in 2,889 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
The value of something is what - and only what - somebody is prepared to pay for it....this is the price. The cost is utterly irrelevant. Why can't people either accept of understand that!

The ONLY time it matters is if the cost is higher than the value - in which case, nobody sells it
Isn't that a quote from Oscar Wilde? ...know the price of everything and the value of nothing...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #591  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:47
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Agreed to a certain extend. The main thing is, that in Switzerland, you don't necessarily have many options not to pay the price for goods, as prices are very similar and therefore, you are forced to pay whatever it says on the sticker.

You're not forced to buy though....if one doesn't like the price of Romesco, one call always make do with another green vegetable
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #592  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

cheers for the groan Jaro... please give me some more as unlike some others I dont really really care, how about at least 20 by the end of the day?

Oh for others benefit because i gave him a some negative rep about being small minded earlier in this thread....

its all fun and games.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #593  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:52
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,969
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,018 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
You're not forced to buy though....if one doesn't like the price of Romesco, one call always make do with another green vegetable
Why yes, but this has made me think of something else. How could one include the opportunity cost into a quantifiable measure of actual standard of living?
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,974 Times in 4,533 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
another example: plate rack dryer CH 20CH, DE €6.50 exactly the same product with sticker proudly displaying "swiss quality made in Switzerland"

The mind boggles.
I don't understand why this post got groaned. There are plenty of completely inexplicable instances of Swiss-manufactured items being sold much more cheaply abroad than in Germany. Inexplicable, because:

a) transport costs intra-Switzerland must be lower than transporting to other countries
b) Swiss VAT is 8%, surely among the lowest rates in Europe; it's 19%+ in neighbouring countries
c) many Swiss brands are well-established in Switzerland, so they enjoy reasonable sales volumes here
d) the high rents and sales staff salaries in Switzerland (and I'd dispute the first) are not necessarily a factor, because internet stores in Switzerland are often massively undersold by their counterparts in the EU.

I have bought Toblerone chocolate in the non-duty-free section of Sydney Airport for less than in Swiss shops, and airports are not exactly bargain-price shopping paradises.

Finally, a piece of furniture caught me eye at Pfister in Basel: CHF 595. I found the identical item in Germany at €155 (less than CHF 200) -- that's around CHF 170 after getting the 19% VAT back. No Swiss VAT to pay as it's within the personal limit.

ETA: I just read rob1's post, above. Tit-for-tat groaning is not tolerated at EF -- others have been banned for this. Just so that's clear, Jaro.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #595  
Old 22.02.2012, 12:59
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
a) transport costs intra-Switzerland must be lower than transporting to other countries
All good, but this one.. For the cost of transporting goods within Switzerland, you might as well send them to some destination in the US by ocean freight.. Transport charges within Switzerland are ridiculously high and no mistake!
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 22.02.2012, 13:04
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,974 Times in 4,533 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
All good, but this one.. For the cost of transporting goods within Switzerland, you might as well send them to some destination in the US by ocean freight.. Transport charges within Switzerland are ridiculously high and no mistake!
Right, but for road transport at least to Germany, France, Italy and other shortish-haul destinations, the transport includes an intra-CH segment (you have to get the goods to the border before you can get out of Switzerland) -- so surely transportation to the EU must be more costly than just within Switzerland? Or is there some nonsensical situation whereby it's cheaper to send an item 1,000 km on a truck (including paying the truck driver while he waits forever at the border for customs clearance) than to ship it 85 km from Zürich to Basel? Wouldn't surprise me ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #597  
Old 22.02.2012, 13:05
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,505
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,082 Times in 2,889 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
b) Swiss VAT is 8%, surely among the lowest rates in Europe; it's 19%+ in neighbouring countries
Food in the UK is zero rated (ie no VAT)
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rat...services.htm#1

VAT is 2.4% on food in Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 22.02.2012, 13:07
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 9,969
Groaned at 563 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,018 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Right, but for road transport at least to Germany, France, Italy and other shortish-haul destinations, the transport includes an intra-CH segment (you have to get the goods to the border before you can get out of Switzerland) -- so surely transportation to the EU must be more costly than just within Switzerland? Or is there some nonsensical situation whereby it's cheaper to send an item 1,000 km on a truck (including paying the truck driver while he waits forever at the border for customs clearance) than to ship it 85 km from Zürich to Basel? Wouldn't surprise me ...
If you only knew the price per pallet to transport it from point a to point b in Switzerland. Let's just say, it's beyond comprehension.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #599  
Old 22.02.2012, 13:08
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 94 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand why this post got groaned. There are plenty of completely inexplicable instances of Swiss-manufactured items being sold much more cheaply abroad than in Germany. Inexplicable, because:

a) transport costs intra-Switzerland must be lower than transporting to other countries
b) Swiss VAT is 8%, surely among the lowest rates in Europe; it's 19%+ in neighbouring countries
c) many Swiss brands are well-established in Switzerland, so they enjoy reasonable sales volumes here
d) the high rents and sales staff salaries in Switzerland (and I'd dispute the first) are not necessarily a factor, because internet stores in Switzerland are often massively undersold by their counterparts in the EU.

I have bought Toblerone chocolate in the non-duty-free section of Sydney Airport for less than in Swiss shops, and airports are not exactly bargain-price shopping paradises.

Finally, a piece of furniture caught me eye at Pfister in Basel: CHF 595. I found the identical item in Germany at €155 (less than CHF 200) -- that's around CHF 170 after getting the 19% VAT back. No Swiss VAT to pay as it's within the personal limit.

ETA: I just read rob1's post, above. Tit-for-tat groaning is not tolerated at EF -- others have been banned for this. Just so that's clear, Jaro.
I'm not going to comment on rob1 and the negative reps or groans.

I'm a firm believer to spend my money where i earn and pay taxes. Of course there are some exceptions. Others will disagree and it is their right. We are all enjoying good quality of life in CH and have a great social system to rely on in case you lose a job. This all comes at a price.

I have made exceptions and shopped accross the border for higher ticket items after I've failed to negotiate better deals locally. When I read about people spending the time and energy (sometimes during the weekend) going accross the border to save a little on some basics it is just ridiculous. Groan and bitch all you want but that's how I see it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jaro for this useful post:
This user groans at Jaro for this post:
  #600  
Old 22.02.2012, 13:11
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Snip.
Quote:
View Post
Snip again
Quote:
View Post
Snip some more
Quote:
View Post
Snip yet again
Because the price and the cost aren't connected to each other.

I give up
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
high, parity, prices




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sutter needs funny stories: What absurd/absent-minded things have you done? argus General off-topic 107 13.06.2008 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0