Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #761  
Old 23.06.2012, 22:31
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

That you need to have a car to do anything is true in much of the USA. But since the doctor stopped my driving (I admittedly loved driving) live is no problem in Europe and the Arab countries, but travelling to the USA may now be a bit of a challenge. I in fact had abstained from travelling to the USA after September 01, as I realized that people with my looks were no longer appreciated at USA airports taking photos.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #762  
Old 24.06.2012, 06:36
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 2,000
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
It's where I grew up.

Swimming, fishing, boating/sailing, ice skating in winter, water skiing in summer, but no ships and no cycling along the shores.

Wine's a lot more expensive here too!

And you pretty much need a car to do anything.

Tom
Yeah, that is one thing that I really find difficult to deal with over here. I really liked the ability to train to a great deal of nearby places. It is great to go the cities when you don't have to drive. Of course, I still try and travel off peak when I am playing the tourist but it still was very nice.

And I love driving my cars, but I like having it be an option rather than being a necessity.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #763  
Old 24.06.2012, 15:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Oz
Posts: 610
Groaned at 155 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 211 Posts
drsmithy has earned some respectdrsmithy has earned some respect
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I have an old friend who emigrated to Australia in about 1975, and who visits Switzerland (plus other places in Europe) once or twice per year. And he for decades always stated that price-wise Australia and Switzerland were more or less similar. He is a successful businessman but not a scientist, but I tend to trust his overall judgment
My personal experience was asking for a +25% cost-of-living adjustment to my salary when I moved from Sydney (by far the most expensive place in Australia to live at the time) to Zurich ca. 2007, and that was barely enough to cover the higher living costs (arguably not enough taking into account all factors - I ran a car and motorbike in Sydney but owned neither in Zurich).

Since then, cost of living in Australia has increased substantially (easily 30% I'd estimate). I left Switzerland in late 2009 and haven't yet been back, so I don't know what the increases have been like in the same time period, but I would be amazed if they are of a similar magnitude.
Reply With Quote
  #764  
Old 24.06.2012, 21:57
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
My personal experience was asking for a +25% cost-of-living adjustment to my salary when I moved from Sydney (by far the most expensive place in Australia to live at the time) to Zurich ca. 2007, and that was barely enough to cover the higher living costs (arguably not enough taking into account all factors - I ran a car and motorbike in Sydney but owned neither in Zurich).

Since then, cost of living in Australia has increased substantially (easily 30% I'd estimate). I left Switzerland in late 2009 and haven't yet been back, so I don't know what the increases have been like in the same time period, but I would be amazed if they are of a similar magnitude.
The chap I mentioned lives in Melbourne. He upon arrival in Australia for about two yeas lived in Sydney but DISliked the place as being a snobbery place .
Reply With Quote
  #765  
Old 24.06.2012, 22:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near Zug
Posts: 3,414
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,166 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
My personal experience was asking for a +25% cost-of-living adjustment to my salary when I moved from Sydney (by far the most expensive place in Australia to live at the time) to Zurich ca. 2007, and that was barely enough to cover the higher living costs (arguably not enough taking into account all factors - I ran a car and motorbike in Sydney but owned neither in Zurich).

Since then, cost of living in Australia has increased substantially (easily 30% I'd estimate). I left Switzerland in late 2009 and haven't yet been back, so I don't know what the increases have been like in the same time period, but I would be amazed if they are of a similar magnitude.
I'm from Sydney and have noticed the price increases since I left in '99. I go back every year and a bit and saw that from about 2006 housing was more expensive there than here (for the same size and location) and groceries are more expensive aside from meat, but that has increased a staggering amount since we were last there too (Dec 2010 - April 2012). This recent article says that the cost of living in Sydney tops London: http://www.smh.com.au/business/sydne...612-208bo.html

Switzerland has seen deflation, -1% in May 2012. Groceries have seen not much increase at all and this year we saw the lowering of many prices due to the weaker Euro.

Last edited by CH_Me; 24.06.2012 at 23:34.
Reply With Quote
  #766  
Old 25.06.2012, 02:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 36
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
baba tenor has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

It would be more fair if people writing here would also compare their salaries and amount of tax they have to pay to the country they are comparing to.

Also, keep in mind that most products sold here are Swiss made and they assume a Swiss quality when they are calculating the price for everything.
Reply With Quote
  #767  
Old 25.06.2012, 02:41
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,815
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,338 Times in 6,540 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

I would earn roughly the same if I went back to the UK*, pay more tax, but suffer less deductions. Things here are expensive.

* It would take me a long time to find that job, though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #768  
Old 25.06.2012, 09:50
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,204
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 8,096 Times in 2,954 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
most products sold here are Swiss made and they assume a Swiss quality when they are calculating the price for everything.
Haha. That's funny, that.

Proper brightened up my day.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #769  
Old 25.06.2012, 12:31
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,974 Times in 4,533 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
It would be more fair if people writing here would also compare their salaries and amount of tax they have to pay to the country they are comparing to.

Also, keep in mind that most products sold here are Swiss made and they assume a Swiss quality when they are calculating the price for everything.
Quote:
View Post
Haha. That's funny, that.

Proper brightened up my day.
Aw, mirfield got there first.

Gotta say, though, I do appreciate the Swiss quality of those cars, potatoes, bananas, and ... well, almost everything sold here ... especially those things that are "made in Switzerland" but if you read the fine print, are grown/manufactured in Asia or Africa -- just packaged in Switzerland.

My favourite is the bananas I bought the other day in Co-op, which had a big advertising placard proclaiming "Schweizer Qualität". Presumably the Central American grower had selected only the very best of his crop for the deserving Swiss (and was paid the statutory CHF 0.10 per kg).
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #770  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Buakaw has made some interesting contributions
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Coop the other day looking at what they had 'aktion' priced. There was a slice of sorry looking water melon. Approximately 1/8 of a water melon on sale for CHF 5.40. Normal price 6.20. That's CHF 43.2 for a water melon....

Seeing as I relocated from Thailand to here, I reckon most of the prices here shocks me more than the average expat. I reckon I used to pay 80 thai baht for a water melon in Bangkok, which is CHF 2.4. So 18 times the price here.... ridiculous... needless to say I won't eat a lot of water melons here....

Also seen a little cup of pineapple. Probably 100 gr. for CHF 5.40...

How can they defend a price like that?
Reply With Quote
  #771  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:31
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,974 Times in 4,533 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
How can they defend a price like that?
Swiss quality, high wages, low taxes, small market, high transport costs, high rent, blah blah blah blah blah.

Or the truth: rife protectionism and sheer greed.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #772  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Coop the other day looking at what they had 'aktion' priced. There was a slice of sorry looking water melon. Approximately 1/8 of a water melon on sale for CHF 5.40. Normal price 6.20. That's CHF 43.2 for a water melon....

Seeing as I relocated from Thailand to here, I reckon most of the prices here shocks me more than the average expat. I reckon I used to pay 80 thai baht for a water melon in Bangkok, which is CHF 2.4. So 18 times the price here.... ridiculous... needless to say I won't eat a lot of water melons here....

Also seen a little cup of pineapple. Probably 100 gr. for CHF 5.40...

How can they defend a price like that?

pop over to the st.louis farmers market on a saturday, we bought a huge slice for €1.80
Reply With Quote
  #773  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Swiss quality, high wages, low taxes, small market, high transport costs, high rent, blah blah blah blah blah.

Or the truth: rife protectionism and sheer greed.

true, its whatever the market will accept. For those in the border areas be very grateful you have the option, think about those getting stiffed because they dont.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #774  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,548 Times in 4,684 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Swiss quality, high wages, low taxes, small market, high transport costs, high rent, blah blah blah blah blah.

Or the truth: rife protectionism and sheer greed.
True
You can see this with goods sold here where the importers did not know about the "rife protectionism and sheer greed" & actually sell the goods at similar prices to the rest of Europe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #775  
Old 25.06.2012, 13:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
zlatan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

my favorite - 1 page b/w printout from USB - 5.90 CHF
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank zlatan for this useful post:
  #776  
Old 25.06.2012, 14:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,775
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,088 Times in 6,288 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
true, its whatever the market will accept. For those in the border areas be very grateful you have the option, think about those getting stiffed because they dont.
If Swiss importers had drastically cut prices following the strengthening of the chf there would have been deflation followed by salary cuts. I guess that would be ok for some!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #777  
Old 25.06.2012, 14:26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Entlebuch
Posts: 150
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 128 Times in 50 Posts
kitten23kate is considered knowledgeablekitten23kate is considered knowledgeablekitten23kate is considered knowledgeable
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Coop the other day looking at what they had 'aktion' priced. There was a slice of sorry looking water melon. Approximately 1/8 of a water melon on sale for CHF 5.40. Normal price 6.20. That's CHF 43.2 for a water melon....

Seeing as I relocated from Thailand to here, I reckon most of the prices here shocks me more than the average expat. I reckon I used to pay 80 thai baht for a water melon in Bangkok, which is CHF 2.4. So 18 times the price here.... ridiculous... needless to say I won't eat a lot of water melons here....

Also seen a little cup of pineapple. Probably 100 gr. for CHF 5.40...

How can they defend a price like that?
Heheh. I find it funny how much stores like to charge just for a little bit of extra convenience. But even in Wal Mart they will have the same sort of thing- a little cup of fruit for 3 or 4 bucks when you could get a whole melon or whatever for less than that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kitten23kate for this useful post:
  #778  
Old 25.06.2012, 14:51
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,901
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post

And finally -- I LOVE our Zug appliances
You're lucky. My Zug washer is full of mold, and my dryer takes forever to dry anything... and keeps turning off while the clothes are still wet. I have read the manuals AND e-mailed Zug, who told me to contact a repairman. So I did, and he didn't have any answers either.

Anyways, if someone here makes enough money to where they can live comfortably AND create a savings, then they're lucky. But please keep in mind that that is not the case for everyone here. (e.g. Not everyone makes 100,000+ per year). And if you've got a family to feed, you also need a decent-sized apartment.

Switzerland is, in fact, known for being a very expensive country in which to live. And I personally think it is a bit biased in favor of the rich.
Reply With Quote
  #779  
Old 25.06.2012, 15:10
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,901
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
It is simple. The US$ still has a merchandise value of, depending on the stuff, between CHF 1.-- and 1.50 . If the $ exchange rate continues to drop even against the Euro (etc) the discrepancy will be even more extreme.

A commodity in which the USA still IS expensive is WINE ! Alright, affordable inside the USA but rather expensive, and VERY expensive in Continental Europe. The US wine producers simply rely on their home market. ONE aspect however is to be taken into account and that is "economy by scale", which means that some products in the USA have always been relatively cheap as produced in vast quantities.

AND, I never understood why US-Americans in Europe in general and Switzerland in particular tend to do shopping in expensive places where average Europeans NEVER go shopping. And middle-class Americans, when in Europe, go to luxury hotels who in reality do not offer so much better service than normal middle class hotels.
Well, the last I knew, wine isn't really a necessity (Forgive me, Dionysus! )

I am/was a middle-class American -- now living in CH -- and I only do my grocery shopping in Migros and Coop (where it seems most native Swiss also shop?). I also never stay in luxury hotels.

It seems that a lot of non-U.S. Americans have this misguided belief that all Americans live excessively. If they've only traveled to cities like NYC or base their opinions from television shows, etc., I guess I can maybe understand why they think that. But huge metropolitan cities (and the media) do not provide accurate representations of the typical American lifestyle. Because many, many Americans struggle to simply put food on the table or pay their rent and certainly do not live excessively.
Reply With Quote
  #780  
Old 25.06.2012, 17:11
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,144
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,733 Times in 9,481 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Well, the last I knew, wine isn't really a necessity
It certainly IS!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
high, parity, prices




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sutter needs funny stories: What absurd/absent-minded things have you done? argus General off-topic 107 13.06.2008 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0