Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1321  
Old 13.05.2015, 19:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carouge, Switzerland
Posts: 52
Groaned at 12 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
nickg_44 has become a little unpopular
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Yes, wouldn't you rather be working in France or Germany making their wages, if it affords you cheaper beer?
You could apply that statement to any post in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #1322  
Old 13.05.2015, 22:36
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,704
Groaned at 135 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 4,831 Times in 2,299 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
You could apply that statement to any post in this thread.
Not really. in San Francisco or New York beer is just as much. But wages are also high as is the standard of living. In London the beer is cheaper and the wages lower for the common Man. Saying beer is more expensive in Switzerland where everything is higher because of labor, rent, etc costs where in Germany those same costs are far lower because a bartender in Konstanz is paid 900 euros a month and one here 4200 net is part of the reason why.
When I go to the supermarket in France cost of tomatoes, cheese, and the like are more money. But that is an EU thing. Having a beer is something based on the local economy. Then again I can think of many places from Zurich to Geneva where I can have a pint for 4 CHF and it is a Swiss beer. If you think it is expensive because you are at a Pub focused on foreigners maybe it is time to find a place where the cartels aren't monopolising the tab. Blame Heineken and people wanting fare wages for your overpriced beer.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #1323  
Old 13.05.2015, 22:45
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,147
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,740 Times in 9,484 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Beer is cheaper in Switzerland than in Italy.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #1324  
Old 13.05.2015, 23:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carouge, Switzerland
Posts: 52
Groaned at 12 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
nickg_44 has become a little unpopular
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Not really. in San Francisco or New York beer is just as much. But wages are also high as is the standard of living. In London the beer is cheaper and the wages lower for the common Man. Saying beer is more expensive in Switzerland where everything is higher because of labor, rent, etc costs where in Germany those same costs are far lower because a bartender in Konstanz is paid 900 euros a month and one here 4200 net is part of the reason why.
When I go to the supermarket in France cost of tomatoes, cheese, and the like are more money. But that is an EU thing. Having a beer is something based on the local economy. Then again I can think of many places from Zurich to Geneva where I can have a pint for 4 CHF and it is a Swiss beer. If you think it is expensive because you are at a Pub focused on foreigners maybe it is time to find a place where the cartels aren't monopolising the tab. Blame Heineken and people wanting fare wages for your overpriced beer.
I don't drink Heineken or in places for foreigners. It's 4chf for a small Swiss beer. Anyway my point still stands. You could apply your original statement to anything in this thread. Stuff is more expensive in Switzerland because people can and will pay more.
Reply With Quote
  #1325  
Old 13.05.2015, 23:52
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,667
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,134 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I don't drink Heineken or in places for foreigners. It's 4chf for a small Swiss beer. Anyway my point still stands. You could apply your original statement to anything in this thread. Stuff is more expensive in Switzerland because people can and will pay more.
It's the old question: "Are things so expensive because people earn so much or do people earn so much because things are so expensive?
Reply With Quote
  #1326  
Old 14.05.2015, 00:32
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,147
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,740 Times in 9,484 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Stuff is more expensive in Switzerland because people can and will pay more.
So why is gasoline (and electronics) so cheap compared to the neighbors?

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #1327  
Old 14.05.2015, 00:52
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,068
Groaned at 77 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,060 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Everyone rants about swiss prices but no one dared to rant about "Absurd swiss salaries"
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #1328  
Old 14.05.2015, 03:52
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,704
Groaned at 135 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 4,831 Times in 2,299 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I don't drink Heineken or in places for foreigners. It's 4chf for a small Swiss beer. Anyway my point still stands. You could apply your original statement to anything in this thread. Stuff is more expensive in Switzerland because people can and will pay more.
Heineken in reference to the fact they own most of what is drunk in Switzerland, Feldschlossen, Calanda, Eichof, Cardinal.
So higher wages and costs have nothing to do with higher prices?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #1329  
Old 14.05.2015, 10:49
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 4900 Langenthal
Posts: 142
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Greg Zimmermann is considered knowledgeableGreg Zimmermann is considered knowledgeableGreg Zimmermann is considered knowledgeable
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Hi all,


Quick info... Heini own Eichoff, and Carlsberg own Feldschlöslli.


And... standard cost of a swiss bier (out of towns) is 6 chuffs for a 5dl, and 4 for a Stanger/stick (3dl)


If your 'aving one, enjoy your rest day y'all


GREG
Reply With Quote
  #1330  
Old 14.05.2015, 10:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,147
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,740 Times in 9,484 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
I don't drink Heineken or in places for foreigners. It's 4chf for a small Swiss beer.
That's expensive for Switzerland, I pay CHF 3.30 at the train station, and EUR 4 in Italy.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #1331  
Old 14.05.2015, 11:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: North East England
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
SwissR has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

6CHF for a large beer seems reasonable to me. You can easily pay the equivalent of that in most towns and cities in the UK and I don't just mean London or the South. You can even pay that in some out of town pubs in the North of England these days!

9-11 CHF as mentioned earlier in this thread is certainly a little on the pricey side, but again I would wager that there is many a pub, bar or club in numerous UK city centres that will try and charge that for as long as they can get away with it.
Reply With Quote
  #1332  
Old 14.05.2015, 12:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Everyone rants about swiss prices but no one dared to rant about "Absurd swiss salaries"
Posts like this in these kind of threads really annoy me. Why can't we rant about high Swiss prices? Swiss prices are high.

Yes the salary usually compensates for this but that doesn't mean that some bored expats can't have a harmless rant about paying 35CHF for a few burgers at BK.

It's also a pretty good resource for people thinking of moving to Switzerland and want to know the price of some of the more expensive things.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #1333  
Old 14.05.2015, 13:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
HappyLully has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

This difference in price is HUGe and not the norm,

Usually, its may be 10-30% more which for me is not worth the drive and the hassle of even attempting to look outside CH.
Reply With Quote
  #1334  
Old 14.05.2015, 18:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 627
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 399 Times in 218 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

So according to the few last posts, looks like CH is a good place for those who like to drive (cheap gas), enjoy hi-fi music equipment, and high purchasing power when going to the neighboring countries, but bad for those who like to get drunk with beer, is that correct?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
This user groans at Capo for this post:
  #1335  
Old 17.05.2015, 12:05
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,068
Groaned at 77 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,060 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Posts like this in these kind of threads really annoy me. Why can't we rant about high Swiss prices? Swiss prices are high.

Yes the salary usually compensates for this but that doesn't mean that some bored expats can't have a harmless rant about paying 35CHF for a few burgers at BK.

It's also a pretty good resource for people thinking of moving to Switzerland and want to know the price of some of the more expensive things.
Actually what triggered my post was the word "Absurd". Swiss prices are high compared to what? To neighbouring countries? Yes they are. But they are not high given the income level in Switzerland. If the prices were really absurd that wouldn't explain the increasing number of immigrants settling in this country.

Actually if you look at it objectively among the worst places are probably Norway or Danemark where prices are pretty close to Switzerland but with a lower net income (Sources: Eurotstat price index and Eurostat salary index, 2012-2014).

Therefore if one really wants to give relevant information to people thinking of moving to Switzerland they should provide the full picture.

I have no issues with people ranting about the high prices because it's often expressed by people who keep comparing prices with their home country...it's OK the first year but if you've been living here for at least 3* years it's a sign of an obsession and frustration that should be healed in order to enjoy life. Again, the optimist knows that the world is not perfect whereas a pessimist rediscovers it every single day.

* 3 years criteria: first year you discover all the positives, the second year you discover all the negatives and you have one year to decide whether it's OK for you or not.
__________________
-I'm back in town
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #1336  
Old 17.05.2015, 12:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Actually what triggered my post was the word "Absurd". Swiss prices are high compared to what? To neighbouring countries? Yes they are. But they are not high given the income level in Switzerland. If the prices were really absurd that wouldn't explain the increasing number of immigrants settling in this country.

Actually if you look at it objectively among the worst places are probably Norway or Danemark where prices are pretty close to Switzerland but with a lower net income (Sources: Eurotstat price index and Eurostat salary index, 2012-2014).

Therefore if one really wants to give relevant information to people thinking of moving to Switzerland they should provide the full picture.

I have no issues with people ranting about the high prices because it's often expressed by people who keep comparing prices with their home country...it's OK the first year but if you've been living here for at least 3* years it's a sign of an obsession and frustration that should be healed in order to enjoy life. Again, the optimist knows that the world is not perfect whereas a pessimist rediscovers it every single day.

* 3 years criteria: first year you discover all the positives, the second year you discover all the negatives and you have one year to decide whether it's OK for you or not.
Some prices in Switzerland are absurd even taking the salary into account.

I remember paying 12chf for a USB cable when I could have gotten the same one for £0.42 on Amazon.co.UK.

Also the salary may be a lot higher for low level employees and mid level IT monkeys but for higher level people it all pretty much levels out or the salary in CH is lower.
Reply With Quote
  #1337  
Old 17.05.2015, 13:24
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,068
Groaned at 77 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 5,294 Times in 2,060 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

(Quote does not seem to work so I copy paste)

porsch1909 wrote:
"Some prices in Switzerland are absurd even taking the salary into account.

I remember paying 12chf for a USB cable when I could have gotten the same one for £0.42 on Amazon.co.UK.

Also the salary may be a lot higher for low level employees and mid level IT monkeys but for higher level people it all pretty much levels out or the salary in CH is lower"

On Toppreise.ch you can get USB cables for 1CHF.
For every "expensive" product in Switzerland I can find a same category product that is more expensive in the UK. This is all anecdotal and won't bring the conversation further unless it's only about venting. The statistics and facts delivered in previous post show clearly the point.

Coming back to your statement on lower salaries for top managers in Switzerland. Let me cast some doubts about that bold statement. Several serious studies show the opposite (ECA salary survey 2013 ) if you take the stats again and not the anecdotal case of that manager or other manager. Another interesting read is this Forbes article about executive salaries in various countries (salaries and purchase power are two different things).

Let's refocus the debate on objective facts and not the anecdotal sample.
__________________
-I'm back in town
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #1338  
Old 17.05.2015, 13:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
(Quote does not seem to work so I copy paste)

porsch1909 wrote:
"Some prices in Switzerland are absurd even taking the salary into account.

I remember paying 12chf for a USB cable when I could have gotten the same one for £0.42 on Amazon.co.UK.

Also the salary may be a lot higher for low level employees and mid level IT monkeys but for higher level people it all pretty much levels out or the salary in CH is lower"

On Toppreise.ch you can get USB cables for 1CHF.
For every "expensive" product in Switzerland I can find a same category product that is more expensive in the UK. This is all anecdotal and won't bring the conversation further unless it's only about venting. The statistics and facts delivered in previous post show clearly the point.

Coming back to your statement on lower salaries for top managers in Switzerland. Let me cast some doubts about that bold statement. Several serious studies show the opposite (ECA salary survey 2013 ) if you take the stats again and not the anecdotal case of that manager or other manager. Another interesting read is this Forbes article about executive salaries in various countries (salaries and purchase power are two different things).

Let's refocus the debate on objective facts and not the anecdotal sample.
I only read your second link but it clearly shows that Switzerland came top for gross and net salaries (although I don't believe an executive in Switzerland would typically only earn 100k) and then doesn't even feature in the top 3 for purchasing power. This pretty much negates your point that the higher salary makes up for the more expensive products!

Also the stats in that article are for mid level managers.

The objective fact is that some things are absurdly priced even taking the good salary into account and simply saying we shouldn't have a friendly rant about it and be happy with our high standard of life is annoying.

Last edited by porsch1909; 17.05.2015 at 13:50.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #1339  
Old 17.05.2015, 13:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

For me it's swiss made products that are far cheaper in other countries..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #1340  
Old 18.05.2015, 13:34
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 147
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 43 Posts
bowlie has earned some respectbowlie has earned some respect
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

At the Coop, you can get a Swiss brewed (SwissBeverage AG, 4310 Rheinfelden) "Anker" beer. Normal price for 0.5l is CHF1. From time to time Coop puts it on "Action" for CHF0.5 per 0.5l tin.

A perfectly adequate lager (Hell, Blonde, Chiara).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
high, parity, prices




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sutter needs funny stories: What absurd/absent-minded things have you done? argus General off-topic 107 13.06.2008 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0