Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 25.03.2009, 21:25
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
wow, how far do you live from the shops?

seriously though, I hope you return it to the stores, point at the expiry date and shrug your shoulders...

I have found it worse in the smaller shops.

Better yet, contact Migros or Coop head office and email them the store details.
not worth the energy. I am getting tired of it though. I hate it when I get a cucumber for example, cut it open the next day only to discover that it's already slimy from the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 25.03.2009, 22:34
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 51 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
not worth the energy. I am getting tired of it though. I hate it when I get a cucumber for example, cut it open the next day only to discover that it's already slimy from the inside.
Exactly, it's not worth it. In the U.S. where many stores have a no-questions-asked return policy, it's easy. Here where I had to fill out 3 forms to exchange a simple telephone cable at Media Markt, it is simply not worth the hassle dealing with the unfriendly sheeple at MigroOp to return their moldy crap. Aldi is different - their supressed minimum wage employees handle returns in a simple and non-bureaucratic fashion.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at tomcat for this post:
  #123  
Old 25.03.2009, 22:45
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Too bad I lived too far from Aldi. Great prices and less fluff.
It's OK, I can live on frozen fruit and veggies until I leave.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 26.03.2009, 07:54
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 664
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 239 Times in 144 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Is there an Aldi anywhere in Vaud?
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 26.03.2009, 08:09
PC_Advisor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

a few of them.
put in your postal code here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 26.03.2009, 14:43
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,267 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
it is simply not worth the hassle dealing with the unfriendly sheeple at MigroOp to return their moldy crap.
I don't know about Coop, but the few times I returned something at Migros I had no problems at all.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 26.03.2009, 15:22
martin34's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niederglatt
Posts: 715
Groaned at 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 185 Posts
martin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of many
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
it is simply not worth the hassle dealing with the unfriendly sheeple at MigroOp to return their moldy crap. Aldi is different - their supressed minimum wage employees handle returns in a simple and non-bureaucratic fashion.
That is simply not true!

Coop and Migros have good return policies.

When I tried to return something to Aldi once they made a tremendous fuss (although the product only cost CHF 2.95) and started saying that they were not responsible and that I should contact the supplier directly. At the end they phoned their regional director to get permission to refund me the money. For a product worth CHF 2.95 FFS!!!

You seem to do a lot of Aldi propaganda on this forum but no need to go overboard and lie.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at martin34 for this post:
  #128  
Old 09.04.2009, 01:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 425
Groaned at 37 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 60 Posts
juice99 has earned some respectjuice99 has earned some respect
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

any news about so called "cassis de dijon principle" ? i couldn't find any new information about this in english

and what about that only one company can import specific product to switzerland ? was it changed? ( some people said, that it will change)
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 09.04.2009, 10:21
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 51 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
That is simply not true!

Coop and Migros have good return policies.

When I tried to return something to Aldi once they made a tremendous fuss (although the product only cost CHF 2.95) and started saying that they were not responsible and that I should contact the supplier directly. At the end they phoned their regional director to get permission to refund me the money. For a product worth CHF 2.95 FFS!!!

You seem to do a lot of Aldi propaganda on this forum but no need to go overboard and lie.
Wow, a groan. I am skeered. Actually honored. And calling me a liar, too? I am really impressed. Well, not really.

Listen, if my experiences with Aldi rock and the ones with Coop and Migros suck, so be it. I don't get paid by anyone to endorse their products or services.

If your experiences are different, so be it. But groaning and calling me a liar? Go pound sand, my friend. Welcome to free speech.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank tomcat for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 09.04.2009, 10:53
Big_lad's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Big_lad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

These are all interesting examples, and the list will be never ending but can anyone explain why prices are so high, is it purely to do with import tax, or is there something else at play?

I dont believe it could be because of wages being higher either, although this maybe one of the factors.

My apologises if this has already been answered, but this is a very long thread.

My current example is a Sony Viao power pack that I am trying to source, over here its 220chf from Sony Centre, I can get one sent here for £32 inc p&p from UK.

We used to talk in terms 'rip off Britain' particularly in regard to the price of new cars, wander what Switzerland should be referred to as...?

Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 09.04.2009, 10:53
martin34's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niederglatt
Posts: 715
Groaned at 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 185 Posts
martin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of many
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
If your experiences are different, so be it. But groaning and calling me a liar? Go pound sand, my friend. Welcome to free speech.
I was calling you a liar because you were implying that Aldi's return policy was better than Migros or Coop's. That is simply not true. Of course I can't question your personal experiences.

Shouldn't free speech imply some degree of objectivity?

TBH I am still pissed off at the way Aldi behaved when I returned the previous mentioned item. Hence my aggressive response. It wasn't really directed at you.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at martin34 for this post:
  #132  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,766
Groaned at 116 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 5,517 Times in 1,951 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
It would be interesting to know if the Swiss buy locally or do they look at getting a cheaper deal in another Country?
Depends what it is. Generally I find that I just can't get what I'm looking for here and end up ordering online at a higher price than the next best thing in Switzerland. If the time I spend looking for a cheaper deal is two hours and I consider how much I get paid per hour, then it might not work out that much cheaper for something that isn't that costly in the first place...

Some things actually work out cheaper here, like some luxury goods. Or if you buy a Tissot watch here or try the same in Malaysia, it'll be cheaper for you here.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:03
Velofellow's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rüti-ZH
Posts: 537
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 576 Times in 254 Posts
Velofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
These are all interesting examples, and the list will be never ending but can anyone explain why prices are so high, is it purely to do with import tax, or is there something else at play?

I dont believe it could be because of wages being higher either, although this maybe one of the factors.

My apologises if this has already been answered, but this is a very long thread.

My current example is a Sony Viao power pack that I am trying to source, over here its 220chf from Sony Centre, I can get one sent here for £32 inc p&p from UK.

We used to talk in terms 'rip off Britain' particularly in regard to the price of new cars, wander what Switzerland should be referred to as...?


One of the main reasons is that the Swiss have the money to pay the prices, and they have better things to do than blow an entire Saturday on a cross-border shopping run.
While there are a lot of Swiss car plates to be seen at the German or French supermarkets in places like Singen or Mulhouse, an awful lot of the car occupants seem to be Asians or other Aussländers. People who live close to the border shop over the border, those that don't don't.

Cheers

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:19
Big_lad's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Big_lad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Hi Jim,

I dont believe it is quite that simplistic as you suggest:- they have money so they are prepared to spend money. Not all people in this country are rich.

Also no one gets rich by spending their hard earned cash on overpriced goods (have a word with Alan Sugar ;-))

So far it sounds as though these middle men who are selling us these goods at high prices, must be making a fortune.

Talk about buying low and selling high, but still does not make sense, as in a free or relatively free amrket someone should come and under cut these people, but this does not happen, so there must be something keeping the prices high......
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:27
Velofellow's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rüti-ZH
Posts: 537
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 576 Times in 254 Posts
Velofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond reputeVelofellow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

There is also a very strong cultural element. In England, if you manage to find / negotiate a great bargain, for example by shopping abroad / on the Internet, you would be telling all your mates down the pub, and generally boasting about what a clever chap you are. A Swiss might call you a penny pincher, and suspect you of secretly being poor.
In Switzerland, if a dyed in the wool Swiss saved a bundle by buying his sofa in Germany, he would keep very quiet about it, and his wife would probably go into the woodshed and top herself if one of the village women at the Frauenverein asked her where she bought it. My boss, who was brought up in Central Schweiz used to make money when he was a teenager by shopping at the new big Coop supermarket for folks who couldn't face the dissaproval of the neighbours for abandoning the local village shops. He would have to deliver the shopping bags to the back door of the houses.

Cheers

Jim
__________________
It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Dr H. Lewis
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Velofellow for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:51
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cowshitsbourg
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 322 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 607 Times in 291 Posts
Canadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
There is also a very strong cultural element. In England, if you manage to find / negotiate a great bargain, for example by shopping abroad / on the Internet, you would be telling all your mates down the pub, and generally boasting about what a clever chap you are. A Swiss might call you a penny pincher, and suspect you of secretly being poor.
In Switzerland, if a dyed in the wool Swiss saved a bundle by buying his sofa in Germany, he would keep very quiet about it, and his wife would probably go into the woodshed and top herself if one of the village women at the Frauenverein asked her where she bought it. My boss, who was brought up in Central Schweiz used to make money when he was a teenager by shopping at the new big Coop supermarket for folks who couldn't face the dissaproval of the neighbours for abandoning the local village shops. He would have to deliver the shopping bags to the back door of the houses.

Cheers

Jim
Switzerland is full of these dumb-a$$ attitudes in all spheres of life.




P.S. 666 posts.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Canadian_dude for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,766
Groaned at 116 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 5,517 Times in 1,951 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is full of these dumb-a$$ attitudes in all spheres of life.




P.S. 666 posts.
Well yes but then there are other countries where you are not taken seriously unless you have a certain kind of very expensive mobile phone and the more brand names you have on your clothes the better.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 09.04.2009, 11:58
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cowshitsbourg
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 322 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 607 Times in 291 Posts
Canadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian_dude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
Well yes but then there are other countries where you are not taken seriously unless you have a certain kind of very expensive mobile phone and the more brand names you have on your clothes the better.
sure, and nobody bats an eyelid when you have half a bottle of wine with lunch.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09.04.2009, 12:20
Itzoe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 307
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Itzoe has earned some respectItzoe has earned some respect
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Just wanted to add an example of shocking price difference.

We wanted to get a specific camera bag - we researched and found one we liked - on Amazon the grand sum of 30 quid - even on amazon de it was only 44 Euro - but guess what it wouldnt get delivered.
So off we trotted to MM - and foundsaid bag - at a huge price of 179CHF!!

needless to say we have ordered via amazon and a friend is sending on for us
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09.04.2009, 12:29
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 28 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 834 Times in 410 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: Absurd Swiss prices

Quote:
View Post
If the time I spend looking for a cheaper deal is two hours and I consider how much I get paid per hour, then it might not work out that much cheaper for something that isn't that costly in the first place...

Some things actually work out cheaper here, like some luxury goods. Or if you buy a Tissot watch here or try the same in Malaysia, it'll be cheaper for you here.
I challenge you to back up that statement. I bought a Tissot in London (also supposedly a very expensive city) for 180 francs less than the same watch sells for here.....

Also the how much you get paid per hour argument is hard for me to understand....On weekends you are not being paid ANYTHING so any money saved minus any money spent trying to get said bargain is money earned. Its your choice how much effort you are willing to put into the bargain hunt. I personally am willing to do a bit to save a rappen. I think of the people who don't have jobs in the US through no fault of their own or families who are struggling with one income......it really makes you feel humble and unwilling to throw money around carelessly (just because we can)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kiwiguy08 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
high, parity, prices




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sutter needs funny stories: What absurd/absent-minded things have you done? argus General off-topic 107 13.06.2008 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0