Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 11.11.2008, 23:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Great thread.
Sorry if this was asked before but sometimes I get invoices saying pay in 10 days & sometimes it is 30 days.

Does anybody know if there is there any rule about this time to pay or is it up to the supplier?

I am sure I once read somewhere that legally it has to be 30 days but maybe it was a day dream!

Marton
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12.11.2008, 00:14
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Great thread.
Sorry if this was asked before but sometimes I get invoices saying pay in 10 days & sometimes it is 30 days.

Does anybody know if there is there any rule about this time to pay or is it up to the supplier?

I am sure I once read somewhere that legally it has to be 30 days but maybe it was a day dream!

Marton
Vendors decide when they want to be paid. They can even ask for payment before delivery!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Goldtop for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 19.11.2008, 14:21
fduvall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,394
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,074 Times in 523 Posts
fduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

I could not find a thread that explained how to initiate a betreibung. Am I missing something in my search?

Is there a standard process to follow for a business to file against another business? A "mahnung" letter has been sent by registered post and the client rejected it, so it was sent back to me.

thnx
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 19.11.2008, 14:41
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 189
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 194 Times in 95 Posts
Calvin has earned the respect of manyCalvin has earned the respect of manyCalvin has earned the respect of many
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
I could not find a thread that explained how to initiate a betreibung. Am I missing something in my search?

Is there a standard process to follow for a business to file against another business? A "mahnung" letter has been sent by registered post and the client rejected it, so it was sent back to me.

thnx

Well you have to go to Betreibungsamt located at the debtor's domicile. There you have to fill out a form. You also have to advance the cost of the procedure. Then the Betreibungsamt will send the debtor a letter requesting him to pay the debts (=Zahlungsbefehlt).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Calvin for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 19.11.2008, 14:43
fduvall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,394
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,074 Times in 523 Posts
fduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

OK - that sounds pretty straightforward.

Thank you.

Quote:
View Post
Well you have to go to Betreibungsamt located at the debtor's domicile. There you have to fill out a form. You also have to advance the cost of the procedure. Then the Betreibungsamt will send the debtor a letter requesting him to pay the debts (=Zahlungsbefehlt).
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 19.11.2008, 14:49
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,539
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,020 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Regarding Betreibung, you may be interested to know that (in Zürich) anyone from a company can pick up a Betreibung in the name of the company. I.e. it is not required that the person picking it up has signatory powers or a Vollmacht. All they need to do is to show their ID.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 19.11.2008, 15:30
fduvall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,394
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,074 Times in 523 Posts
fduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Do you mean that anybody can file/register a betreibung (in Zurich Kanton)? So someone else could file it on my behalf?

-fduvall

Quote:
View Post
Regarding Betreibung, you may be interested to know that (in Zürich) anyone from a company can pick up a Betreibung in the name of the company. I.e. it is not required that the person picking it up has signatory powers or a Vollmacht. All they need to do is to show their ID.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 19.11.2008, 15:57
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,539
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,020 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Hm, not sure if that way would work. Probably.

What I ment was that any one claiming to work for your company and who knows that you have gotten a Betreibung, can go an pick it up. This could e.g. be an employee that you have just fired and who wants to make trouble for you.

So the other way, any employee of your company can probably file a Betreibung in the name of your company.

Quote:
View Post
Do you mean that anybody can file/register a betreibung (in Zurich Kanton)? So someone else could file it on my behalf?

-fduvall
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07.01.2009, 10:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: vaud
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cckkt has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Anyone know the amount on 'poursuite' is the final amount which means a full stop to those bills or have to contact the insurance company by ourselves?

It is better to go to the company to pay or pay the poursuite?

What about other effect? If my fd she has the poursuite, it affects her finding a house or job?

Thanks !!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07.01.2009, 11:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richterswil
Posts: 546
Groaned at 11 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 169 Posts
Breezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputation
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Advice to all:
Get litigation insurance! Annual premium is less than CHF 200 per family. Usually covers attorney and court fees for many legal conflicts.

Read the fine print, however, for exceptions. Conflicts with banks and taxes are often excluded. Conflicts with landlords, employers, vendors, etc are generally covered.
I presume this is provided by your bog standard insurer, but not normally offered? Can anyone confirm? Or is there somewhere particular you have to go.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07.01.2009, 14:37
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,502
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,080 Times in 2,887 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
I presume this is provided by your bog standard insurer, but not normally offered? Can anyone confirm? Or is there somewhere particular you have to go.
You can add it the already excellent cover-nearly-everything-including-travel-insurance 'Relax' policy from Zurich...
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 16.01.2009, 18:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: vaud
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cckkt has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

anyone have this post in french ??
it is very useful !!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 16.01.2009, 19:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OOO
Posts: 3,728
Groaned at 82 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,017 Posts
Sada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

cckkt, this is an englishforum, where people communicate with each other in English, there will not be any French translation.


Quote:
View Post
anyone have this post in french ??
it is very useful !!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 17.01.2009, 04:16
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,674
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
anyone have this post in french ??
it is very useful !!
http://www.ch.ch/private/00093/00102...x.html?lang=fr

Just search the web for "poursuite".
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03.03.2009, 10:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Darth Vader has made some interesting contributions
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Assuming you accepted the package you accepted the attached conditions ie that you would pay the said amount. So if they start the procedure you can complain that the figure is too high, you can even shout from the rooftops but you will still have to pay.

I did this once, I received a bunch of free stuff from the US but being free and from the US it was labelled "worth $300" plastered all over it so I knew how lucky I was. The import costs etc were around 120 CHF and I refused to accept the package, the lady at the post office was very suprised.

I explained that it was free but worth $300 and that I wasn't going to give the Swiss any more money than they deserved, which is in this case and normally zero.

I then called up the sending company and complained and they posted a second package properly 'labelled'.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 15.06.2009, 20:14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 124
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
jamesWtc has made some interesting contributions
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

S**t...

I've just received a "Bereibungsurkunde" (not yet collected from the post office) and I have no idea that I missed a payment. Flipping through PILES of bills and I just notice an unpaid bill for IWB (well, at least I suspect that's the one, as it's the only "2. Mahnung" I have)

Is there really any future implication to obtain credit or moving apartment or renewing permit?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 15.06.2009, 20:27
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
S**t...

I've just received a "Bereibungsurkunde" (not yet collected from the post office) and I have no idea that I missed a payment. Flipping through PILES of bills and I just notice an unpaid bill for IWB (well, at least I suspect that's the one, as it's the only "2. Mahnung" I have)

Is there really any future implication to obtain credit or moving apartment or renewing permit?
You could have a problem unless the creditor agrees to deleting the entry from the register.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 15.06.2009, 22:29
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,337 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
You could have a problem unless the creditor agrees to deleting the entry from the register.
And usually once it is paid, they're happy to do it, as long as you aren't a habitual betreibung receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 25.06.2009, 23:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wengen
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ehullis3823 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Are creditors allowed to hassle you on the phone and turn up at your house? I had a call today, I don't dispute the debt, tried to negotiate a payment plan to this guy and he has just gone crazy, calling me a liar, telling me he will make sure I never get credit in Switzerland and that he is passing everything to his lawyers. He then said that he knew where I lived and would come here and get the money off me in person. He doesnt seem to hear the words from me that, if I had this money I would pay him straight away, I hadnt anticipated that the funds to pay would not be available.

Anyway, he has threatened to phone me all the time until I pay so that he is at the top of the list and to be honest, the fact that I am working 5 part time jobs at the moment (there are no full time available in the village or surrounding area) plus some serious health issues is not helping. I feel I am trying to be reasonable and he just screams down the phone at me. I did tell him that if he felt that he needed to get his lawyers involved then do so because my situation to pay has not changed and that screaming at me doesnt get the situation anywhere. I had to put the phone down on him in the end because I was starting to go into an anxiety attack and am still shaking 5 hours later. I cant screen this guy's call because it shows as private number.
Sorry - know I'm waffling on but I am terrified that he's going to turn up on the doorstep and I keep the door unlocked like everyone else in this town, don't own any goods in my name (I came to Switzerland with nothing except my ski gear) so can he barge his way in. I'm worried too that my boyfriend will be at home because for sure he will throw this guy down the stairs. And I mean throw.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 25.06.2009, 23:29
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,794
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,589 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Are creditors allowed to hassle you on the phone and turn up at your house? I had a call today, I don't dispute the debt, tried to negotiate a payment plan to this guy and he has just gone crazy, calling me a liar, telling me he will make sure I never get credit in Switzerland and that he is passing everything to his lawyers. He then said that he knew where I lived and would come here and get the money off me in person. He doesnt seem to hear the words from me that, if I had this money I would pay him straight away, I hadnt anticipated that the funds to pay would not be available.

Anyway, he has threatened to phone me all the time until I pay so that he is at the top of the list and to be honest, the fact that I am working 5 part time jobs at the moment (there are no full time available in the village or surrounding area) plus some serious health issues is not helping. I feel I am trying to be reasonable and he just screams down the phone at me. I did tell him that if he felt that he needed to get his lawyers involved then do so because my situation to pay has not changed and that screaming at me doesnt get the situation anywhere. I had to put the phone down on him in the end because I was starting to go into an anxiety attack and am still shaking 5 hours later. I cant screen this guy's call because it shows as private number.
Sorry - know I'm waffling on but I am terrified that he's going to turn up on the doorstep and I keep the door unlocked like everyone else in this town, don't own any goods in my name (I came to Switzerland with nothing except my ski gear) so can he barge his way in. I'm worried too that my boyfriend will be at home because for sure he will throw this guy down the stairs. And I mean throw.
Was this guy a Loan Shark

I would advice you to keep your door locked at all times, it does not matter where you live you should ALWAYS keep your door locked.

I hope your boyfriend will not throw the guy down the stairs, it will only mean more trouble for your boyfriend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betreibung, sticky thread, unpaid bills




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful calculator for finding out how much tax you need to pay on 3rd pillar pay out muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 11 20.01.2012 08:37
[For Sale] Complete kitchen [Geneva] pompom Items for sale 2 09.10.2007 14:46
Household bills cbb Finance/banking/taxation 4 27.08.2007 14:31
Paying Bills telandy Daily life 39 08.07.2007 18:53
Time given to pay bills. JuJu Complaints corner 6 15.05.2007 14:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0