Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 08.11.2009, 20:03
tkh tkh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tkh has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

@swisspea:
I'm a US citizen. I have a B permit while staying in Switzerland, but it was expired last month while I was still out of Switzerland. I don't need to renew it as I'm leaving Switzerland.
Back in June, I didn't have enough time to figure out what are the must-do's for me to leave Switzerland permanently to move to Japan for work. Now I could leave Japan for 1 month to go back to Switzerland as a visitor to take care of this.

Regarding handling the mails, I learn a lesson now... Thanks for sharing your tips. I do have my US mails handled by my family members there. But Switzerland... I knew I would come back here soon to sort out the permanent leaving and so a few months wouldn't be a big deal for any mails. Obviously I was wrong.

@Goldtop:
The health insurance company does not cover me while I'm in Japan or the US, so I wouldn't be able to claim anything had I had any health issues while in Japan and US. That's why I needed to cancel my insurance with this Swiss company and buy health insurance from Japan. The Swiss company only told me to send them a letter requesting cancellation. They didn't mention the deregistration certificate or anything else. Otherwise, I would have got that done in the first place.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Swiss company makes me pay for my health insurance while I was in Japan and US although they know for sure that they would NOT reimburse me if I had had a medical bills in those 2 countries. Why are they doing this? What are your thoughts on this?

@ everyone:
Do I still have to show up at the Debt Collector office on Monday? Or can I ignore this Betreibung and try to deal with the Swiss health insurance company first?

Again, thanks a lot everyone for your comments and advice.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08.11.2009, 20:05
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,539
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,020 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

You could spend some time reading through this thread. That will tell you what you have to do.

And this one:

Betreibungsamt [Debt sent to local authority]

... and honestly, do you really think that ignoring a Betreibung sounds like a good idea?




Quote:
View Post
@ everyone:
Do I still have to show up at the Debt Collector office on Monday? Or can I ignore this Betreibung and try to deal with the Swiss health insurance company first?

Again, thanks a lot everyone for your comments and advice.

Last edited by Tilia; 08.11.2009 at 20:18.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08.11.2009, 20:22
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
@swisspea:
I'm a US citizen. I have a B permit while staying in Switzerland, but it was expired last month while I was still out of Switzerland. I don't need to renew it as I'm leaving Switzerland.
Back in June, I didn't have enough time to figure out what are the must-do's for me to leave Switzerland permanently to move to Japan for work. Now I could leave Japan for 1 month to go back to Switzerland as a visitor to take care of this.

Regarding handling the mails, I learn a lesson now... Thanks for sharing your tips. I do have my US mails handled by my family members there. But Switzerland... I knew I would come back here soon to sort out the permanent leaving and so a few months wouldn't be a big deal for any mails. Obviously I was wrong.

@Goldtop:
The health insurance company does not cover me while I'm in Japan or the US, so I wouldn't be able to claim anything had I had any health issues while in Japan and US. That's why I needed to cancel my insurance with this Swiss company and buy health insurance from Japan. The Swiss company only told me to send them a letter requesting cancellation. They didn't mention the deregistration certificate or anything else. Otherwise, I would have got that done in the first place.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Swiss company makes me pay for my health insurance while I was in Japan and US although they know for sure that they would NOT reimburse me if I had had a medical bills in those 2 countries. Why are they doing this? What are your thoughts on this?

@ everyone:
Do I still have to show up at the Debt Collector office on Monday? Or can I ignore this Betreibung and try to deal with the Swiss health insurance company first?

Again, thanks a lot everyone for your comments and advice.
Insurance is a service that is silently consumed and must be paid for till you legally terminate the contract. For example, holder of car insurance cannot retrospectively claim premium refund because s/he was proven on another continent.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08.11.2009, 22:25
tkh tkh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tkh has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Insurance is a service that is silently consumed and must be paid for till you legally terminate the contract. For example, holder of car insurance cannot retrospectively claim premium refund because s/he was proven on another continent.
Thanks for sharing your thought.
This Swiss health insurance company knows that their service could not be consumed by me in the other continents because they do not provide such service overseas, and yet they still ignored my cancellation request which is based on their inability to provide the service. From what you said and going through this entire thread, I see now why they did not want to legally terminate my contract back in June. I wonder how many have been their victims of their rip-off.

I thought I would have a good memory about Switzerland before departing it. But this experience has stained it.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08.11.2009, 22:26
tkh tkh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tkh has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
You could spend some time reading through this thread. That will tell you what you have to do.

And this one:

Betreibungsamt [Debt sent to local authority]

... and honestly, do you really think that ignoring a Betreibung sounds like a good idea?

Thanks a lot Tilia! Now I have a much better idea about what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 15.11.2009, 22:22
svetliy's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
svetliy has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Hello community,

I would like to hear your thoughts about following situation. Some time ago I subscribed for a Y-course by visiting the X-agency(by just expressing verbal interest, no papers signed). The course was about to begin in a week from this date. in 4 days (3 days until the beginning of the course) they sent me the confirmation documents. however, in 2 days until the beginning of the course my plans have changed, and i sent them cancellation e-mail. in 1 day before the course had to start i receive a phone call from them saying that it is not possible to terminate subscription now (5 days notice had to be given). i was not aware of this fact. probably it was mentioned somewhere on confirmation papers, but i received them 3 days before the course was about to start, so it wouldn't work anyway. they stress the fact that i have to pay the invoice, as i was subscribed. i stress the fact that that i am not going to pay for the service i haven;t received. now they are about to forward the case to Creditreform, debt collecting agency.
My question is - how should i proceed in this case. i have "legal cost" insurance, which has to cover commercial disputes, so i guess my best option is to find a good lawyer in Lausanne that can represent me? maybe someone was in the same situation and can give me a tip? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 23.12.2009, 22:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,181
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Advice to all:
Get litigation insurance! Annual premium is less than CHF 200 per family. Usually covers attorney and court fees for many legal conflicts.

Read the fine print, however, for exceptions. Conflicts with banks and taxes are often excluded. Conflicts with landlords, employers, vendors, etc are generally covered.
any recommendations on which company to choose for this litigation insurance ?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 23.12.2009, 23:13
Doctor's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,054
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 513 Times in 315 Posts
Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Hello community,

I would like to hear your thoughts about following situation. Some time ago I subscribed for a Y-course by visiting the X-agency(by just expressing verbal interest, no papers signed). The course was about to begin in a week from this date. in 4 days (3 days until the beginning of the course) they sent me the confirmation documents. however, in 2 days until the beginning of the course my plans have changed, and i sent them cancellation e-mail. in 1 day before the course had to start i receive a phone call from them saying that it is not possible to terminate subscription now (5 days notice had to be given). i was not aware of this fact. probably it was mentioned somewhere on confirmation papers, but i received them 3 days before the course was about to start, so it wouldn't work anyway. they stress the fact that i have to pay the invoice, as i was subscribed. i stress the fact that that i am not going to pay for the service i haven;t received. now they are about to forward the case to Creditreform, debt collecting agency.
My question is - how should i proceed in this case. i have "legal cost" insurance, which has to cover commercial disputes, so i guess my best option is to find a good lawyer in Lausanne that can represent me? maybe someone was in the same situation and can give me a tip? Thanks in advance!
You write you expressed interest, and that you subscribed to a course. Since they passed it on to debt collectors, they must be under the impression, you subscribe. To my knowledge, the way to go would be betreibungsamt, and not debt collectors, until betreibungsamt says you owe them for the subscription, but not 100% sure.

Doc.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 07.06.2010, 17:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lisabona has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Thank you for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 19.06.2010, 12:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,550 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

About "The health insurance company does not cover me while I'm in Japan or the US"

Surprising, I have had several different Swiss health insurances & they all gave me a number to phone if I was sick in Switzerland & another number to phone if I was sick abroad.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 19.06.2010, 13:11
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
About "The health insurance company does not cover me while I'm in Japan or the US"

Surprising, I have had several different Swiss health insurances & they all gave me a number to phone if I was sick in Switzerland & another number to phone if I was sick abroad.
Number to phone does not mean the insurer will pay the treatment bills!

Standard emergency medical cover is limited to what the locals would get (within the EU) or twice what you would get in your home canton (if outside the EU).

Standard medical cover excludes non-emergency treatment outside CH. Hence, anyone on an extended stay outside CH should contact their medical insurer and clarify additional premiums for treatment abroad.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Goldtop for this useful post:
  #132  
Old 19.06.2010, 19:15
JVC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
Number to phone does not mean the insurer will pay the treatment bills!

Standard emergency medical cover is limited to what the locals would get (within the EU) or twice what you would get in your home canton (if outside the EU).

Standard medical cover excludes non-emergency treatment outside CH. Hence, anyone on an extended stay outside CH should contact their medical insurer and clarify additional premiums for treatment abroad.
I can't remember the full discussion I had when I first set up medical cover here, but I do recall being advised to take out extra cover if visiting the US.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 19.06.2010, 20:32
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
I can't remember the full discussion I had when I first set up medical cover here, but I do recall being advised to take out extra cover if visiting the US.
Medical costs are so high in the US that it exceeds the twofold reimbursement of equivalent Swiss costs. Additional cover can be obtained from the medical insurers or travel insurers (e.g. TCS the Swiss Automobile Association).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Goldtop for this useful post:
  #134  
Old 20.06.2010, 17:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nugaeva has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Very interesting thread, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 21.06.2010, 20:25
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Hi there, I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered (I tried searching).

I'm going into my 3rd month of being overcharged (by 200 francs per month) for the complementary portion of my health insurance. The reason is the agent I was dealing with did not attend to instructions I sent at the beginning of May until 6 weeks later! This was on a group policy that ended with my divorce, and I simply continued with the same company without signing anything. By then a third bill for July had been sent. The problem is that apparently the reimboursement will be taken off the complementary portion only, which is now 8 francs. If I pay this new bill, there will be 600+ owing, and would take around 6 years to be paid back. So, I asked to have a new bill reflecting the correct amount of my policy and they refused.

I absolutely cannot afford to throw away 200 more francs this month. Can I simply pay the correct amount using the BVR they sent me? Is it worth calling my legal insurance? I'm really stressed out, so many thanks for your help.

K
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 22.06.2010, 22:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Treengler has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Quote:
View Post
I once tried that when someone I paid via bank transfer claimed not to have received the money. The UBS guy told me with a very straight face "We cannot give you the account number of the receiving party" (the one I provided them to begin with) "since that would violate bank secrecy".
When this happened to me, I gave the also straight faced UBS man the number and asked if this was the number the money went to. He verified that it was, so left the problem with the person saying that he didn't get the amount.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 29.06.2010, 18:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 210 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Fresh experience with Billag - opening the letter right now.

I thought I was paying the whole thing since I registrered. I was wrong.

Billag sent a letter a month ago, telling me I was paying for TV but not Radio. I had to confirm if it was the situation. With that letter, I discovered that I registered wrongly last year. Not crossing something I should have, I guess. I had to tell them since when I had access to radio. I did. Today came the answer: I have to pay the past months like I told them. So I just pay the thing and I am good again.

They asked, I told them, they calculated the numbers, I pay. The End. Easy.
__________________
Es wird nichts ausgelassen, um mich hier herauszuekeln. Ein Lehrbuch. False accusations and attacks continue. There is no stopping righteous people when they are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05.08.2010, 10:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Treengler has no particular reputation at present
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Just a general tip for all out there, get legal insurance! for only a few francs you can seek out legal representation on all manner of issues. I have coverage for employment, car, renting and general issues. A letter from a lawyer often encourages the 'big' companies to take you into consideration. Without they dictate their small print to you.
Not sure about the health insurance - if you cancelled in writing, sending it registered mail as proof. It is then up to them to ask for further information etc. If they didn't I would show up at the betreibungsamt and contest their demand.
Having been at a Betreibungs incident - on the money owed side - they are quite fair with the evidence presented. Sadly, not knowing doesn't prevent you from loosing.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09.08.2010, 15:52
OtherOne's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 101
Groaned at 41 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
OtherOne is considered unworthyOtherOne is considered unworthyOtherOne is considered unworthyOtherOne is considered unworthy
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

betreibungsamt brought me a letter that I have to pay a bill within 10 days, no I can not and will pay it first once I get my salary (14days)

what will the consequence be?

edit:
before some internet warrior jumps in to bash me, I can mention that they are closed until the 12th of august (according to their answeringmachine) so I can not call there to ask

Last edited by OtherOne; 09.08.2010 at 16:04. Reason: added disclamer
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09.08.2010, 19:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The complete guide to bills and what happens if you don't pay them.

Once upon a time people used to answer questions like this...

If you pay the amount you believe to be correct and continue to do this on a monthly basis and providing you have requested that the bill is changed because of a valid changed circumstance and you have kept the doucmentation then yes.

The worst that can happen is that they eventually send you a payment request for the outstanding amount, which of course you reject in writing etc until you receive a legal demand which you refer to a court for a decision. At this point the insurance company will actually think twice.

Note very carefully this assumes you have a valid reason to change your policy.


Quote:
View Post
Hi there, I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered (I tried searching).

I'm going into my 3rd month of being overcharged (by 200 francs per month) for the complementary portion of my health insurance. The reason is the agent I was dealing with did not attend to instructions I sent at the beginning of May until 6 weeks later! This was on a group policy that ended with my divorce, and I simply continued with the same company without signing anything. By then a third bill for July had been sent. The problem is that apparently the reimboursement will be taken off the complementary portion only, which is now 8 francs. If I pay this new bill, there will be 600+ owing, and would take around 6 years to be paid back. So, I asked to have a new bill reflecting the correct amount of my policy and they refused.

I absolutely cannot afford to throw away 200 more francs this month. Can I simply pay the correct amount using the BVR they sent me? Is it worth calling my legal insurance? I'm really stressed out, so many thanks for your help.

K
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richard for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
betreibung, sticky thread, unpaid bills




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful calculator for finding out how much tax you need to pay on 3rd pillar pay out muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 11 20.01.2012 08:37
[For Sale] Complete kitchen [Geneva] pompom Items for sale 2 09.10.2007 14:46
Household bills cbb Finance/banking/taxation 4 27.08.2007 14:31
Paying Bills telandy Daily life 39 08.07.2007 18:53
Time given to pay bills. JuJu Complaints corner 6 15.05.2007 14:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0