Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.04.2012, 13:06
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

My husband and I are looking for a water filter for the shower to filter the chalk content. Not the one that filters the house's whole water system, but just something you can screw onto your shower tap or shower head.

On Google, I see plenty of options for Chlorine filters, but very few against chalk... and none that we can get in Switzerland. Does anyone here own such a thing, or know where I can get it?

We also went to the local Fust store, and they have no idea that such a thing even exists.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.04.2012, 13:14
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,855
Groaned at 167 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,886 Times in 3,980 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
My husband and I are looking for a water filter for the shower to filter the chalk content. Not the one that filters the house's whole water system, but just something you can screw onto your shower tap or shower head.

On Google, I see plenty of options for Chlorine filters, but very few against chalk... and none that we can get in Switzerland. Does anyone here own such a thing, or know where I can get it?

We also went to the local Fust store, and they have no idea that such a thing even exists.
It's difficult to imagine that it would, to be honest. I can't imagine a water filter coping with the sort of flow rate you'd want in a shower.

And perhaps equally important, from the point of view of anyone thinking about marketing such a device, why would anyone want to fit such a thing on a shower, but not the rest of the water supply?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.04.2012, 13:51
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

We found this on Ebay. But not sure how well it works, and were hoping to find something which looks less ugly here in Switzerland.

The 'screw on' option is of course cheaper than setting up a system for the whole house (which is not an option for us anyway, as we are apartment renters). Also we are okay with the drinking quality of the water here. It's just that my hubby has been having serious problems with flakes on his head which we think is from the chalk. He doesn't have this problem when we travel out of the country, and we've tried dandruff shampoos and gone to the doctor (who advised him to just wash his hair less, which didn't help either)..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:06
Markarina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Holzhäusern
Posts: 685
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 512 Times in 277 Posts
Markarina has earned the respect of manyMarkarina has earned the respect of manyMarkarina has earned the respect of many
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

I know you don't want a whole house system as you are a renter, but I found this in our local co-op hobby shop, I was skeptical as I seen a number of systems that look the same but don't really work, but this apparently works on a different principle to the others and haven't found negative reviews about it yet.

We haven't had it installed very long so unfortunately I can't give you any feedback as to whether it makes a difference or not, but it does have the advantage of being a non-invasive install.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:13
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 962 Times in 420 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

There are no filters that screw in the tap, just one that through physics and magnets that break down the particle size and suspends the minerals in the water in such a manner that they don't deposit themselves so firmly on shower fittings and tiles. They don't reduce the mineral content at all.

Most anti-dandruff commercial shampoos are harsh, dry and irritate the scalp even more. Try Schluesselblumen shampoo for the hair and Calendula Dusch for the body daily. You can get them from a Drogerie that has natural products. Reduce the intake of foods with high butter fat, such as ice cream, butter and soft cheeses.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:13
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

The German's seem to have the best products for consumer fitting and use.

Typically the Swiss companies are overkill on wanting to set up a multi 100/1000 chufs industrial-type system to eliminate all water impurities for the whole house for the next 100yrs.

See here:

http://www.duschfiltershop.de/

and here:

http://www.human-wellness.com/Duschf...Chlor-und-Kalk
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:22
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
I know you don't want a whole house system as you are a renter, but I found this in our local co-op hobby shop, I was skeptical as I seen a number of systems that look the same but don't really work, but this apparently works on a different principle to the others and haven't found negative reviews about it yet.

We haven't had it installed very long so unfortunately I can't give you any feedback as to whether it makes a difference or not, but it does have the advantage of being a non-invasive install.
I had something similar in a rented house in London - can't say how effective it was, as I had no before/after scenario for comparative purposes.

However it is intended to be fitted to the main water-in pipe, just after the main stopcock, for the whole houses' water supply.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:25
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,458
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,457 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
And perhaps equally important, from the point of view of anyone thinking about marketing such a device, why would anyone want to fit such a thing on a shower, but not the rest of the water supply?
Because chalk in drinking water is actually good for you (ever heard of mineral water?)

Quote:
View Post
There are no filters that screw in the tap, just one that through physics and magnets that break down the particle size and suspends the minerals in the water in such a manner that they don't deposit themselves so firmly on shower fittings and tiles. They don't reduce the mineral content at all.
Wonderful what marketing tries to convince people, isn't it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:39
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 962 Times in 420 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

From that website:

"Kalkbeseitigung
Eine führende Firma (Innovative Water Technologies - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA), die sich mit Wasserreinigungstechnologien befasst, verwendet KDF-Technologie, um ein Wasser-Filtersystem herzustellen, das Kalk signifikant daran hindert, sich auf Gerätschaften und Maschinen, die Wasser ausgesetzt sind, abzulagern.


Blah, blah, what I just said above.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.04.2012, 20:01
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Thanks all, for your comments and helpful opinions. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.04.2012, 20:32
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 962 Times in 420 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

...sorry Miss Winti, I didn't mention it before, but it is exactly the same with me as with your husband, and I have lived here for many years. Behind it all is something like Seborrheic dermatitis which is irritated by the particular minerals in the water here. The commercial, mass produced shampoos with all their chemicals make it doubly worse. I have found the same to be true of the dermatologist prescribed pharmaceutical products, temporary relief but no cure.

As I mentioned before, paying attention to butter fat intake and using only Schluesselblumen shampoo for the scalp and Calendula shower soap have eliminated the problem for me completely.... well, except when I have an ice cream binge which I pay for a few days later.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J_T for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.04.2012, 14:48
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
...sorry Miss Winti, I didn't mention it before, but it is exactly the same with me as with your husband, and I have lived here for many years. Behind it all is something like Seborrheic dermatitis which is irritated by the particular minerals in the water here. The commercial, mass produced shampoos with all their chemicals make it doubly worse. I have found the same to be true of the dermatologist prescribed pharmaceutical products, temporary relief but no cure.

As I mentioned before, paying attention to butter fat intake and using only Schluesselblumen shampoo for the scalp and Calendula shower soap have eliminated the problem for me completely.... well, except when I have an ice cream binge which I pay for a few days later.
J_T, thanks for mentioning that. We only thought of tackling the problem of the chalk directly as my husband doesn't have scalp issues when we travel abroad, as I've mentioned (and of course we don't control our eating habits there either). Perhaps your solution works, although I can't imagine him changing his eating habits, as that would be like exchanging one kind of torture for another. He loves good food and loves to cook.

I used to be very into gentle organic shampoos and conditioners myself, which my husband would sometimes use, but it did not seem to help his condition either. I still watch what I use, but have made some compromises now... But can you share the shampoo brand that you use? I was thinking of getting one of those tea tree oil shampoos if we couldn't get the filter, but they too can be drying as well. And my husband hates the smell of tea tree oil
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.04.2012, 15:42
lmerkel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corseaux
Posts: 316
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 114 Posts
lmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputation
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Yes you guys are not crazy. Until I moved here I had no problems. Now I have serious dandruff and very flaky skin. I comically call myself 'the lizard' to my husband, but it's not funny and I think embarrassing. I NEVER had this problem before I moved here and same as your husband, when we travel it goes away. Something about the extreme calcium level in the water here. I blogged about this before but got trashed about how good the water is here for you. I mean, it can't be that good when it eats thru my pets ceramic water bowls. We drink only bottled water now, but NO amount of moisturizing, vitamins, hydration drinks have been able to solve my problem. I think what you are looking for, and we have in the states, is a water softener shower head
You don't have to do your whole water system as it is your skin. I might try Amazon.....



Quote:
View Post
J_T, thanks for mentioning that. We only thought of tackling the problem of the chalk directly as my husband doesn't have scalp issues when we travel abroad, as I've mentioned (and of course we don't control our eating habits there either). Perhaps your solution works, although I can't imagine him changing his eating habits, as that would be like exchanging one kind of torture for another. He loves good food and loves to cook.

I used to be very into gentle organic shampoos and conditioners myself, which my husband would sometimes use, but it did not seem to help his condition either. I still watch what I use, but have made some compromises now... But can you share the shampoo brand that you use? I was thinking of getting one of those tea tree oil shampoos if we couldn't get the filter, but they too can be drying as well. And my husband hates the smell of tea tree oil
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.04.2012, 15:57
lmerkel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corseaux
Posts: 316
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 114 Posts
lmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputation
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Just did some research: Something like this -- a US site but Culligan is a good brand.



Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Showerhead, Chrome Finish

Technical Details
Patented filter that reduces 99% of chlorine reducing sulfur odors and scale
Anti clog rubber spray nozzles and 10,000 gallon filter capacity
Easy to install with no tool required
5 spray settings with massage
NSF Certified with a 5 year warranty
Product Description
Amazon.com Product Description
With the powerful filtration system of the Culligan Level 2 Wall-Mount Showerhead, you can reduce the chemicals in your water for a cleaner shower and softer skin. Featuring an anti-clog rubber spray nozzle and sleek chrome finish, this showerhead offers the choice of five spray settings. The Culligan Wall-Mount Showerhead provides filtration against sulfur, chlorine, and scale for up to 10,000 gallons of water, and it meets NSF standards for water safety.

Level 2 Wall-Mount Showerhead
At a Glance:
Removes up to 99 percent of chlorine from water

Features five spray settings

Makes hair and skin softer and cleaner

Installs without tools

Five-year limited warranty



This showerhead features five spray settings and removes 99 percent of chlorine from water. View larger.
Reduces Chlorine and Scale Buildup for a Softer Shower
The Culligan Level 2 Wall-Mount Showerhead offers a refreshing shower experience by reducing harsh chlorine levels and damaging scale buildup. The filtration system removes up to 99 percent of chlorine, as well as the impurities within water that can damage hair follicles and result in dry, itchy scalp. Additionally, by reducing the amount of scale (a hard, filmy residue created by minerals in water), the showerhead is able to give you more of the hydrating nourishment your skin and scalp need.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14.04.2014, 14:32
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 158
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
WhereTheHeartIs has earned some respectWhereTheHeartIs has earned some respect
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Has anyone found any good solutions in the years since this thread?

I desperately need something to reduce the calc for my shower- my skin and hair are in bad shape!

Please post if you have found something that works/some solution!

If it works I'll make you a cake and deliver it to your door
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14.04.2014, 14:44
J.Marple's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wynental
Posts: 2,050
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,563 Times in 1,509 Posts
J.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

We installed something like this in our former house
http://www.swisskalk.ch/ch/cms/front...FVLItAodMX0ArA

I could really feel the difference in the water.

Are you renting?
Do you need it only for the shower?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:37
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 158
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
WhereTheHeartIs has earned some respectWhereTheHeartIs has earned some respect
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
We installed something like this in our former house
http://www.swisskalk.ch/ch/cms/front...FVLItAodMX0ArA

I could really feel the difference in the water.

Are you renting?
Do you need it only for the shower?
I'd like it for the whole water supply, but yes we are renting an apartment so that wouldn't work I suppose. The shower is the main place I want it in this situation.

Thanks for the link though! I'll make a note of it if we ever get our own place here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank WhereTheHeartIs for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 14.04.2014, 16:01
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

What timing! We were again just pondering on this issue after returning from an awesome vacation in Phuket where the water is much softer. My husband is considering going to the derm, but actually i'm not so keen on the medications or possibly steroid creams that they would probably suggest.

We have been using the filter from the dushfiltershop and i would say that it has only slightly helped the problem but not to the extent that i would repurchase again. I still see chalk marks from the shower... Reading the old posts in this thread, I think we will finally give the Schluesselblumen shampoo and Calendula soap a try as suggested by J_T.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.04.2014, 16:07
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 158
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
WhereTheHeartIs has earned some respectWhereTheHeartIs has earned some respect
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Quote:
View Post
What timing! We were again just pondering on this issue after returning from an awesome vacation in Phuket where the water is much softer. My husband is considering going to the derm, but actually i'm not so keen on the medications or possibly steroid creams that they would probably suggest.

We have been using the filter from the dushfiltershop and i would say that it has only slightly helped the problem but not to the extent that i would repurchase again. I still see chalk marks from the shower... Reading the old posts in this thread, I think we will finally give the Schluesselblumen shampoo and Calendula soap a try as suggested by J_T.

Good luck!
Oh wow! I was just looking to order one from Duschfiltershop.. which one do you have? 8 Phasen Luxus Duschfilter?

I also found this, but I think it might be just one that helps the calc particles from adhering to the shower and not a calc reducer- I don't speak German and translate wasn't much help... anyone clear on what this product is for exactly?:

http://www.amazon.de/BWT-Quick-Clean...3T8ND59VP51GQS

I also don't want to go the medication/chemical route.. hope we can find a solution!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.04.2014, 18:57
wintimiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur-Seen
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
wintimiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Shower tap filter to reduce Chalk : need help

Yes i have the 8 phasen one for our bath, and the schlanker dushfilter for the shower.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me drink tap water please! Meisie Food and drink 103 13.07.2011 23:38
Safety driving course to reduce car insurance up to 70% CorsebouTheReturn Transportation/driving 2 04.05.2011 15:01
Simple Breathing Exercise to reduce stress arnav Other/general 2 12.01.2010 22:38
Shower Test - What part of your body do you wash first in the shower ? Sada Jokes/funnies 23 18.02.2009 01:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0