Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.04.2012, 15:45
17clarence's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 903
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 961 Times in 437 Posts
17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute
Rape and Assaults in Basel

Just a heads up for the ladies (I'm not being condescending)
Over the last couple of weeks, at least two rapes and sexual assaults in Basel.
One by the Rhine, one in Shuttzenmatt Park, another in Gundeli.

There are constant attacks like this in Basel. The Rhine area being the hotspot.
Last year a woman was raped in a public toilet down there in daylight hours.

Please don't get complacent, and take the same precautions you would in your home country, and in my opinion, don't go along the Rhine alone.
Reply With Quote
The following 17 users would like to thank 17clarence for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 27.04.2012, 15:49
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Finger Lickin' Good
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olten
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 512 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,395 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Last year a woman was raped in a public toilet down there in daylight hours.
Last year?!?! This is the 11th reported sexual attack this year so far in Basel.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:00
17clarence's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 903
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 961 Times in 437 Posts
17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

I don't read the news so don't keep abreast of the local crime scene, but my old hauswarden was a paramedic and he told me it all goes on in Basel, stabbings, rapes, assaults, etc, etc, etc.

Basel has the same problems as any other large town in Europe.
The fact the place seems devoid of life after 8pm at night lulls people into a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 17clarence for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:09
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Finger Lickin' Good
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olten
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 512 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,395 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
I don't read the news so don't keep abreast of the local crime scene, but my old hauswarden was a paramedic and he told me it all goes on in Basel, stabbings, rapes, assaults, etc, etc, etc.

Basel has the same problems as any other large town in Europe.
The fact the place seems devoid of life after 8pm at night lulls people into a false sense of security.
Exactly. On average I read 4 newspapers/day. 2 of them Swiss ones...so I'm quite well informed on the mattrer and it seems to me, that Basel averages roughly 1-2 rapes/month. At least according to what I'm reading in the newspaper.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:42
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Last week around 8pm I saw a guy trying it on with every girl who walked past. He was hassling them, saying rude things and trying to grab and kiss them. I observed this for approximately 15 minutes. After the 6th girl he went up to a woman who was waiting for the bus. After rejecting his advances she lifted her shopping bag and moved few metres away but he followed her and kept invading her private space.

Something snapped in me as people like him give foreigners a bad name, I went to him and was about to punch his lights out but at the last moment stopped and pushed him to the ground instead. He started threatening me but saw that I meant business so backed off. Lady was thankful. Thing is that the guy was from a very bad conservative part of the world so he probably has no respect for woman and I am sure he will continue hassling them.
Reply With Quote
The following 14 users would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:47
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,221
Groaned at 398 Times in 314 Posts
Thanked 14,257 Times in 5,649 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Last week around 8pm I saw a guy trying it on with every girl who walked past. He was hassling them, saying rude things and trying to grab and kiss them. I observed this for approximately 15 minutes. After the 6th girl he went up to a woman who was waiting for the bus. After rejecting his advances she lifted her shopping bag and moved few metres away but he followed her and kept invading her private space.

Something snapped in me as people like him give foreigners a bad name, I went to him and was about to punch his lights out but at the last moment stopped and pushed him to the ground instead. He started threatening me but saw that I meant business so backed off. Lady was thankful. Thing is that the guy was from a very bad conservative part of the world so he probably has no respect for woman and I am sure he will continue hassling them.
So actually your name should be Kung Fu panda!
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:55
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
So actually your name should be Kung Fu panda!
I am a very calm guy and to be honest I was scared of him pulling out a knife. A bleeding or dead Panda is no good.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 27.04.2012, 16:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 4,909
Groaned at 120 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 6,866 Times in 2,853 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Last week around 8pm I saw a guy trying it on with every girl who walked past. He was hassling them, saying rude things and trying to grab and kiss them. I observed this for approximately 15 minutes. After the 6th girl he went up to a woman who was waiting for the bus. After rejecting his advances she lifted her shopping bag and moved few metres away but he followed her and kept invading her private space.

Something snapped in me as people like him give foreigners a bad name, I went to him and was about to punch his lights out but at the last moment stopped and pushed him to the ground instead. He started threatening me but saw that I meant business so backed off. Lady was thankful. Thing is that the guy was from a very bad conservative part of the world so he probably has no respect for woman and I am sure he will continue hassling them.
All good, except this bit: "the guy was from a very bad conservative part of the world so he probably has no respect for woman". Talk about profiling ... So where was this guy from, and how did you know? Did he drop his Ausländerausweis on the ground when you pushed him? And which good, liberal part of the world are you from?

By the way, while I secretly applaud you pushing "the guy" to the ground, don't even try it if the police are watching. Especially since the guy wasn't hassling you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 27.04.2012, 17:07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 454
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 256 Times in 147 Posts
saiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of many
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Why would police watch guy hassling women and do nothing till a guy comes along and pushes him to the ground? They're not that lame...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saiya-jin for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 27.04.2012, 18:10
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
All good, except this bit: "the guy was from a very bad conservative part of the world so he probably has no respect for woman". Talk about profiling ... So where was this guy from, and how did you know? Did he drop his Ausländerausweis on the ground when you pushed him? And which good, liberal part of the world are you from?

By the way, while I secretly applaud you pushing "the guy" to the ground, don't even try it if the police are watching. Especially since the guy wasn't hassling you.
Panda knows these things, no profiling I come from a non liberal gutter country so I have good experience of these things.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 27.04.2012, 18:27
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,001
Groaned at 123 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,067 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
Why would police watch guy hassling women and do nothing till a guy comes along and pushes him to the ground? They're not that lame...
You live in the french part....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.04.2012, 19:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,078
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,096 Times in 413 Posts
taveau has a reputation beyond reputetaveau has a reputation beyond reputetaveau has a reputation beyond reputetaveau has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

It is very strange because those of us who live in the French speaking part are often given the (perhaps false, according to this thread) impression, through media and all, that things are much better organised and safety higher on the other side of the roestigrabe.

It's back to the old debate: "Is insecurity a matter of perception or reality"?

Quote:
View Post
You live in the french part....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.04.2012, 20:12
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Here is a question, what % of serious sexual assaults or assaults in general are being committed by foreigners and how many by local Swiss? Is there any data on it? My Swiss friends think that most serious crimes on strangers are being committed by foreigners. What are the cold hard facts?

I find Switzerland very safe generally speaking.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.04.2012, 21:00
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dättlikon
Posts: 109
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 72 Times in 36 Posts
DavidPesenti has earned some respectDavidPesenti has earned some respect
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

you are more likely to be attacked or sexualy assaulted as a woman by a person you already know. so if this is the case most sexual assualts are committed by swiss men.

It is the randomness of the park situation or the toilet block that grabs the headlines. Not someones colleague assaulting them after a night out.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DavidPesenti for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 27.04.2012, 21:33
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
you are more likely to be attacked or sexualy assaulted as a woman by a person you already know. so if this is the case most sexual assualts are committed by swiss men.
I am aware of that but I was talking about stranger attacks, sexual and non sexual. Btw why can't foreigners know a woman already too? Most attacks might be carried out by Swiss men but then they are the majority here so that would be obvious. It's the % of attacks in relation to population that will give the true picture.

Quote:
It is the randomness of the park situation or the toilet block that grabs the headlines. Not someones colleague assaulting them after a night out.
I agree but both are bad for the victim.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 27.04.2012, 23:28
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Basel/Valais
Posts: 225
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 222 Times in 84 Posts
annie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

A good neighbour of ours is a senior policeman in Basel. We had invited him and his family over dinner and during the course of the conversation I asked him what was the most common crime he had to deal with.

I had expected him to say burglary or car theft but he said domestic violence. I find this very shocking that beneath this "clean tidy society" lurks such a statistic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank annie for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.04.2012, 23:51
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,403
Groaned at 97 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
A good neighbour of ours is a senior policeman in Basel. We had invited him and his family over dinner and during the course of the conversation I asked him what was the most common crime he had to deal with.

I had expected him to say burglary or car theft but he said domestic violence. I find this very shocking that beneath this "clean tidy society" lurks such a statistic.
Having listened to our neighbors in our building and those around us, this doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28.04.2012, 00:06
kngavl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bärn
Posts: 458
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 167 Posts
kngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputation
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
A good neighbour of ours is a senior policeman in Basel. We had invited him and his family over dinner and during the course of the conversation I asked him what was the most common crime he had to deal with.

I had expected him to say burglary or car theft but he said domestic violence. I find this very shocking that beneath this "clean tidy society" lurks such a statistic.
Isn't this the case in most societies though? Murders and assaults are usually committed on and by people who know each other, many times spouses or people who live together. Knowing policemen from my home town in Canada this was also the case for most crimes committed and if it didn't happen that way it, the criminal in question had usually had issues arising from domestic issues.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28.04.2012, 07:44
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 575
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 263 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
My Swiss friends think that most serious crimes on strangers are being committed by foreigners.
My grandma used to think that the Earth is flat. Because if it were round, people on the other side would fall off.

Hard facts wouldn't convince her.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Meeyat for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 28.04.2012, 09:29
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Finger Lickin' Good
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olten
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 512 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,395 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rape and Assaults in Basel

Quote:
View Post
A good neighbour of ours is a senior policeman in Basel. We had invited him and his family over dinner and during the course of the conversation I asked him what was the most common crime he had to deal with.

I had expected him to say burglary or car theft but he said domestic violence. I find this very shocking that beneath this "clean tidy society" lurks such a statistic.
Some of you may not know, but in Switzerland domestic violence was determined a criminal offence liable to public prosecution only in 2004.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
assault, basel, crime, rape, rhine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attempted rape in Zug whitecat74 Swiss politics/news 50 08.10.2011 15:19
Is it "Natural" for Men to "Rape and Beat" Women? The_Love_Doctor International affairs/politics 51 09.08.2010 03:53
Mass rape epidemic coming soon to a country you live in... Canadian_dude International affairs/politics 7 18.11.2009 14:48
Gang rape of 13 year old girl in Zurich? jamaicanRUM Daily life 63 23.11.2006 16:10


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0