Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.07.2012, 10:02
Snoopy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,518
Groaned at 97 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,132 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

The Aargauer Zeitung Sunday edition today published an article stating that Geneva has the highest crime rate in Switzerland. I thought it was particularly interesting because it included a map of the areas where crime was worst. I thought this may be of interest to newcomers looking for accommodation in Geneva as places best avoided.

Unfortunately the article itself is in German. I have attached a pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kriminalitaet Genf.pdf (1.29 MB, 1212 views)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 29.07.2012, 10:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 114
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
greengrass10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

If someone could sum up or make a list of which neighborhoods in Geneva are the worse and have the most crime, it would be much appreciated (for the non-German speaking people in this forum).

Greengrass
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.07.2012, 10:30
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 7,952
Groaned at 153 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 19,293 Times in 5,252 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If someone could sum up or make a list of which neighborhoods in Geneva are the worse and have the most crime, it would be much appreciated (for the non-German speaking people in this forum).
It contains a map. A map with the high crime areas coloured in red. Why would someone who doesn't speak German not be able to understand that?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.07.2012, 10:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 114
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
greengrass10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

I took a look at the map. The red areas marked for high criminality - would be good to know what that criminality means (theft, muggings, rapes, murders??). Seems that the red areas are primarily public areas - open parks, the train station, public swimming area? Not so much residential neighborhoods endangered? Not sure if I'm guessing correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.07.2012, 10:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 85
Groaned at 20 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
martonhajnal is considered a nuisancemartonhajnal is considered a nuisancemartonhajnal is considered a nuisance
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

It is very useful to know that most of the places where I am going to in Geneva are the most attached ones.
It is not only Geneva, where people are leaving their bags next to their chair when they are having a coffee, the shopping centre in Signy, where the ladies love to leave their bag on the trolley, when they are shopping, and Lausanne belongs to these cities.
Very often it would be enough if we would put attention, where we keep our own belongings.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank martonhajnal for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 29.07.2012, 11:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,708
Groaned at 37 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,219 Times in 710 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I took a look at the map. The red areas marked for high criminality - would be good to know what that criminality means (theft, muggings, rapes, murders??). Seems that the red areas are primarily public areas - open parks, the train station, public swimming area? Not so much residential neighborhoods endangered? Not sure if I'm guessing correctly.
It does not say in the article.
I'm sure there's a more detailed statistics, but I doubt it's public.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29.07.2012, 11:45
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,079
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,036 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
It is very useful to know that most of the places where I am going to in Geneva are the most attached ones.
It is not only Geneva, where people are leaving their bags next to their chair when they are having a coffee, the shopping centre in Signy, where the ladies love to leave their bag on the trolley, when they are shopping, and Lausanne belongs to these cities.
Very often it would be enough if we would put attention, where we keep our own belongings.

That's very true. But it wasn't so long ago that you could do exactly as you say and no one would take your stuff. So things they are a-changin'.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:08
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 3,748
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 5,162 Times in 2,040 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

mmmmm..... not so sure there's anything new under the sun there.
The places indicated on the map are same places with issues when I was a kid growing up in Geneva.
Everybody knew that Paquis and Plainpalais were more difficult places than others.

Geneva is a beautiful, warm, welcoming city, it is not violent and never has been.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:26
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,079
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,036 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
mmmmm..... not so sure there's anything new under the sun there.
The places indicated on the map are same places with issues when I was a kid growing up in Geneva.
Everybody knew that Paquis and Plainpalais were more difficult places than others.

Geneva is a beautiful, warm, welcoming city, it is not violent and never has been.
I was thinking the same thing. When I lived in Geneva way back when those were the same "problem areas.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:36
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 8,027
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 7,017 Times in 3,575 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
mmmmm..... not so sure there's anything new under the sun there.
The places indicated on the map are same places with issues when I was a kid growing up in Geneva.
Everybody knew that Paquis and Plainpalais were more difficult places than others.

Geneva is a beautiful, warm, welcoming city, it is not violent and never has been.
If you read the article it states that the thieves earlier would distract people and then rob them. Today the thieves are simply threatening with a knife, I would call that an increase in violence.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:50
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 3,748
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 5,162 Times in 2,040 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If you read the article it states that the thieves earlier would distract people and then rob them. Today the thieves are simply threatening with a knife, I would call that an increase in violence.
I've never seen an act of violence in my home town, and I've been all over the place.

I've been far more afraid in cities like NY, Paris and even Zurich than in Geneva.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:56
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,732
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,161 Times in 5,918 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The Aargauer Zeitung Sunday edition today published an article stating that Geneva has the highest crime rate in Switzerland. I thought it was particularly interesting because it included a map of the areas where crime was worst. I thought this may be of interest to newcomers looking for accommodation in Geneva as places best avoided.

Unfortunately the article itself is in German. I have attached a pdf.
Potentially, Geneva is not having more of crime problems than Zürich and Basel, but while the police corps of Zürich and Basel enjoy an excellent reputation even in neighbouring countries, the reputation of the police corps in Geneva is shady at best and incompetent and irrelevant at worst.

Another aspect is that Maghrebines are, what a shame, mentioned as "leading" in crime, BUT that the quarter which is heavily Maghrebines dominated, the Quartier Paquis is described as relatively good. The Paquis HAS whores, but they are NOT making up what the quartier is all about. The Maghrebines however DO.

The trouble in Geneva, including Geneva-Suburbia, rather is that the population does not give the support to police and to public transport, the population in Zürich and Basel DOES give

Another point. The Zürcher Kantonspolizei closely co-operates with the police corps of Schaffhausen Aargau, Schwyz (Lachen, etc), and St. Gallen (Rapperswil). Given the general antipathy between Geneva and Vaud, I have my doubts about this there. Let's not forget that while Versoix is GE, already Coppet and Nyon are Vaudois. This is an important aspect
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.07.2012, 12:59
Snoopy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,518
Groaned at 97 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,132 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
mmmmm..... not so sure there's anything new under the sun there.
The places indicated on the map are same places with issues when I was a kid growing up in Geneva.
Everybody knew that Paquis and Plainpalais were more difficult places than others.

Geneva is a beautiful, warm, welcoming city, it is not violent and never has been.
I agree, nothing much has changed since I grew up there either (early 70's), but for people not in the know I thought it might be useful.

Though I don't seem to remember Plainpalais being all that bad at the time. The Exhibition centre was there and, yes there were a lot of old buildings, but it never struck me as being crime ridden. I even bought my first moped there from a store called Ludi. IIRC the store was kind of legendary although I have no idea why....

One of the other issues in Geneva is transborder crime. I was at a school reunion a few years back and parked under the lake. The car was broken into and stuff stolen from the trunk. When we reported it to the police they said that people come over from France do the deed and then disappear back over the border. There is very little the police can do.
__________________
Trust is contextual. I trust my dog with my life but not my ham sandwich.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.07.2012, 13:11
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,732
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,161 Times in 5,918 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
It contains a map. A map with the high crime areas coloured in red. Why would someone who doesn't speak German not be able to understand that?
Looked at the map. And compared the figures given. With the same crime-rate as Geneva, it should be 80'000 crimes in Zürich instead of "only" 52'000. So far so clear. But the map is rather confusing. It gives the Bains de Paquis as a place of heavy crime. People returning from swimming may realize "losses" swiftly and report, even if the losses in reality occurred long before and elsewhere. The map gives a heavy emphasis to parks. the same problem again. The only clear thing is that the area between Cornavin and Servette is the "Brooklyn" of Geneva --- exactly what the Langstrasse-Dietikon area in Zürich ("Chreis Chaib") used to be in the 50ies/60ies/70ies)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.07.2012, 13:51
brusch's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canton de Vaud
Posts: 440
Groaned at 19 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 193 Posts
brusch is considered knowledgeablebrusch is considered knowledgeablebrusch is considered knowledgeable
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
One of the other issues in Geneva is transborder crime. I was at a school reunion a few years back and parked under the lake. The car was broken into and stuff stolen from the trunk. When we reported it to the police they said that people come over from France do the deed and then disappear back over the border. There is very little the police can do.
Such are the joys of being a member of Schengen and having a strong CHF!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.07.2012, 13:54
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,079
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,036 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I agree, nothing much has changed since I grew up there either (early 70's), but for people not in the know I thought it might be useful.

Though I don't seem to remember Plainpalais being all that bad at the time. The Exhibition centre was there and, yes there were a lot of old buildings, but it never struck me as being crime ridden. I even bought my first moped there from a store called Ludi. IIRC the store was kind of legendary although I have no idea why....

One of the other issues in Geneva is transborder crime. I was at a school reunion a few years back and parked under the lake. The car was broken into and stuff stolen from the trunk. When we reported it to the police they said that people come over from France do the deed and then disappear back over the border. There is very little the police can do.
I lived between Usine and Plainpalais and though I never felt particularly in danger in either place, they did attract some less than savory characters lets say. And parts around there had much lower rents. Also I think the big open area around Plainpalais which always looked a bit disheveled attracts youngsters just hanging out drinking with nothing much to do*. Also it's a big and empty which can be an attraction for thieves. Not to many people around and easy escape routes.


*not that that means they are all criminals. But bored drunk kids can be tempted to get up to mischief.


Quote:
View Post
Such are the joys of being a member of Schengen and having a strong CHF!
Not sure this is related to Schengen either. I think it's a bit of denial on the part of the Geneva police. This has been their excuse for some time now. Any French plates with certain #s were decried as the cause of all crime. This was even true 10 years ago before Switzerland joined Schengen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.07.2012, 10:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 2,655
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,121 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Having a look at the map, it does seem a bit mis-leading and likely correlates to pick pocketing and drug crime in my opinion.

For example, Paquis and its red light district not red, yet Bains des Paquis is red. Must be do to people having things stolen while in the bains, impossible to live there.

Jardin Anglais known drug traffic center and tourist area. Surrounded by the business district and not really dangerous in my view.

Gare Cornavin is known for pickpocketing but the area to the left of Cornavin is red, which is a fairly nice area, so probably should be restricted to train station itself.

Geisendorf Parc, well at any park there is likely to be some drug trade, but I find that area of Geneva very lovely. Area around there is a surperb place to live in my opinion.

Usine, likely for the late night party scene.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30.07.2012, 10:59
temiatwork's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 434
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 103 Posts
temiatwork is considered knowledgeabletemiatwork is considered knowledgeabletemiatwork is considered knowledgeable
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I took a look at the map. The red areas marked for high criminality - would be good to know what that criminality means (theft, muggings, rapes, murders??). Seems that the red areas are primarily public areas - open parks, the train station, public swimming area? Not so much residential neighborhoods endangered? Not sure if I'm guessing correctly.
Just be aware of pickpocketing, robbing and drug dealings happening on the areas marked. Better to skip passing this areas at night. If someone wants to make a conversation with you while walking just immediately dismiss them or simply ignore them.

Theft in apartments and things left inside a parked car is also a common crime nowadays.

If you are coming from a big city you're probably used to it. It just seems so fast that Geneva turned into this just in the span of 10 years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank temiatwork for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 30.07.2012, 11:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,593
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,725 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post

Another point. The Zürcher Kantonspolizei closely co-operates with the police corps of Schaffhausen Aargau, Schwyz (Lachen, etc), and St. Gallen (Rapperswil). Given the general antipathy between Geneva and Vaud, I have my doubts about this there. Let's not forget that while Versoix is GE, already Coppet and Nyon are Vaudois. This is an important aspect
An important aspect of what? Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30.07.2012, 12:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anywhere but deadheadland
Posts: 374
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 261 Times in 139 Posts
jonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputation
Re: Geneva - Highest Crime Rate in Switzerland

I'm looking to rent a house on Bains des Paquis. Any recommendations
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crime, geneva




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Unemployment & Crime Rate in Switzerland? detroitpistons#1 Complaints corner 18 08.11.2011 18:18
Highest hiking route in Switzerland samuelscu Travel/day trips/free time 15 08.09.2011 11:49
Swiss crime rate above Europe average The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 31.08.2011 08:22
How is the crime rate in the Switzerland compare to England? Plus Daily life 259 29.07.2011 18:01
Swiss crime rate is dropping - especially violent crimes. Treverus Daily life 24 24.03.2011 13:48


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0