Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.09.2012, 05:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Varied
Posts: 2
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foxer has slipped a little
Zurich street garbage?

I was checking out Zurich on wikipedia and found this pic of Bahnhofstrasse. I was horrified by the amount of garbage on the ground on the right part of the pic. Paper and bags, and the street bench in the background has discarded garbage too.

How is this possible in a world famos city like Zurich? Why isn't anyone doing something about it? I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo and Milan and never saw something like this.




[Moderator Note - Link to original picture] - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-46_ShiftN.jpg

Last edited by mirfield; 24.09.2012 at 16:41. Reason: Huge picture replaced by smaller version + link to original
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users groan at Foxer for this post:
  #2  
Old 22.09.2012, 08:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 93 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 573 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Most people of my generation, having known Switzerland when it was famous all over the world for its cleanliness, are, today, in despair.

In 1960/61 I worked near Bahnhof Enge and lived near Schaffhauserplatz.
Every Wednesday I'd walk home just for some additioanl fitness. Work finished at 6pm so I was on the Bahnhofstrasse at 6.30, just as the shops were closing. The pavements were wet, freshly cleaned by the shop owners themselves, normally it was the job of the apprentices to do this and quite normal just as it was normal for all citizens to pick up anything lying around and put it into a nearby bin.

When I go for a Sunday walk in summer from Tiefenbrunnen back to Hauptbahnhof it's hard to believe that there can be such a mess. What's wrong with these people. Were I in the position to have my say I wouldn't clean the mess left on the grass away. That should do the job .

We need to have a deposit of at least Fr.2. on all containers of all kinds without exception.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.09.2012, 09:19
satans worm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 150
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 133 Times in 60 Posts
satans worm is considered knowledgeablesatans worm is considered knowledgeablesatans worm is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Ok, i dont normally react to posts on EF due to the amount of general abuse and sheer stupidness of some peoples answers (which of course some people will think my answer is )
I am also normally more on the 'anti Swiss' side of these arguments mainly due to the fact i feel virtually all Swiss people seem to suffer in various degrees from both Napoleon syndrome and OCD.
However, regarding rubbish on the streets, i think Switzerland is amazingly clean, walking along the Utiliberg and you will be hard pressed to find a used cigarette butt, let alone the plastic bags in trees that litter a lot of the English Countryside.
And as for Zurich, apart from the street parade, its immaculate, ever looked into the water? Do you see any shopping trollies? traffic cones? old bikes? bottles and tin cans?
And this is in a city!!!
For the previous poster with the rose tinted on, please remember you are thinking of a time when Zurich was no where as large, and the consumables no where as popular, both add to the reasons of the occasional piece of rubbish today.
In fact i rejoice in seeing a bit of rubbish on the street, gives me hope that I'm not living in 'Stepford' or reliving the 'Demolition Man' film, and that the Swiss can be human after all, with all the glorious imperfections that brings!
(waits for the 100 groans followed by accusations 'it must be the tourists who are dropping the rubbish' type comments....)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank satans worm for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.09.2012, 09:27
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
Ok, i dont normally react to posts on EF due to the amount of general abuse and sheer stupidness of some peoples answers (which of course some people will think my answer is )
I am also normally more on the 'anti Swiss' side of these arguments mainly due to the fact i feel virtually all Swiss people seem to suffer in various degrees from both Napoleon syndrome and OCD.
However, regarding rubbish on the streets, i think Switzerland is amazingly clean, walking along the Utiliberg and you will be hard pressed to find a used cigarette butt, let alone the plastic bags in trees that litter a lot of the English Countryside.
And as for Zurich, apart from the street parade, its immaculate, ever looked into the water? Do you see any shopping trollies? traffic cones? old bikes? bottles and tin cans?
And this is in a city!!!
For the previous poster with the rose tinted on, please remember you are thinking of a time when Zurich was no where as large, and the consumables no where as popular, both add to the reasons of the occasional piece of rubbish today.
In fact i rejoice in seeing a bit of rubbish on the street, gives me hope that I'm not living in 'Stepford' or reliving the 'Demolition Man' film, and that the Swiss can be human after all, with all the glorious imperfections that brings!
(waits for the 100 groans followed by accusations 'it must be the tourists who are dropping the rubbish' type comments....)
I think this is fairly balanced. I looked at the picture, and my reaction was, "That's it? Looks fairly clean to me.". Now if the locals would just get their hackles up about all the graffiti that's around...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.09.2012, 10:23
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,333
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,045 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

I, too, was searching for the garbage...if I squint I can make some out
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank drmom for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 22.09.2012, 10:30
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,669
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,738 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
I, too, was searching for the garbage...if I squint I can make some out
I'm still having trouble seeing it.

The odd bit here and there is fine, there are street sweepers (gigantic vacuum cleaners on wheels) going round most days to suck up any stray bits so the place is fairly clean. There's one that goes past my bedroom window at around 5.30 am every day.

What amazes me more is if there has been a major event in the city (Street Parade, Zurifäscht, etc), there are tons and tons of litter at the end when everyone has gone home but you can bet that the next morning the place is clean as a whistle.
__________________
“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.09.2012, 06:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 386
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 236 Times in 122 Posts
Andreas Stofer is considered knowledgeableAndreas Stofer is considered knowledgeableAndreas Stofer is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
For the previous poster with the rose tinted on, please remember you are thinking of a time when Zurich was no where as large
Zurich was more populous in 1960/61 than today:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%C3%BCrich.png
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.09.2012, 06:17
magnum_pi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 331
Groaned at 50 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
magnum_pi has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo and Milan and never saw something like this.
Clearly you must be blind or you never left the hotel room...
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank magnum_pi for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.09.2012, 09:26
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 360
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
I was checking out Zurich on wikipedia and found this pic of Bahnhofstrasse. I was horrified by the amount of garbage on the ground on the right part of the pic. Paper and bags, and the street bench in the background has discarded garbage too.

How is this possible in a world famos city like Zurich? Why isn't anyone doing something about it? I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo and Milan and never saw something like this.
You're weird...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank sarel for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.09.2012, 09:36
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,391
Groaned at 129 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
Clearly you must be blind or you never left the hotel room...
Thought the same, Tokyo is indeed very clean, but Paris? really? Blind as a bat.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank simon_ch for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.09.2012, 09:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 93 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 573 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Are all comments so void because the photo hasn't been pulled to the right?

I find the rubbish on the roads more than eyesores. Just recently we saw a report from a farmer who has to go out in the mornings to collect the rubbish thrown out of car windows. If he doesn't his cows swallow it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.09.2012, 10:54
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 246
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 103 Times in 57 Posts
pabcbc is considered knowledgeablepabcbc is considered knowledgeablepabcbc is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
Are all comments so void because the photo hasn't been pulled to the right?

I find the rubbish on the roads more than eyesores. Just recently we saw a report from a farmer who has to go out in the mornings to collect the rubbish thrown out of car windows. If he doesn't his cows swallow it.
Gives bad taste to the milk. Also strange color hues.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pabcbc for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.09.2012, 11:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 93 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 573 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
Gives bad taste to the milk. Also strange color hues.
Very helpful and worthwhile.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Busby for this post:
  #14  
Old 23.09.2012, 11:09
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post
I'm still having trouble seeing it.

The odd bit here and there is fine, there are street sweepers (gigantic vacuum cleaners on wheels) going round most days to suck up any stray bits so the place is fairly clean. There's one that goes past my bedroom window at around 5.30 am every day.

What amazes me more is if there has been a major event in the city (Street Parade, Zurifäscht, etc), there are tons and tons of litter at the end when everyone has gone home but you can bet that the next morning the place is clean as a whistle.
After the first day of the Baden Stadtfest we walked into town at 5am to go to the station, there was rubbish everywhere.
On my return to Baden 2 hours later, you wouldn't know a party had happened, no rubbish, everything spotless.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.09.2012, 11:12
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,199
Groaned at 317 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,564 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Quote:
View Post

How is this possible in a world famos city like Zurich? Why isn't anyone doing something about it? I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo and Milan and never saw something like this.
Did you walk around with your eyes shut in these other cities Milan makes Zurich look like a hospital ward and clinical clean by comparison. Zurich does get a little bit of rubbish but when compared to most cities it is very clean I guess you looked rather hard to make sure there was 1 or 2 overfull bins and they would stand out since there is so little rubbish overall.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 23.09.2012, 11:19
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,863
Groaned at 81 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,607 Times in 890 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
dont feed the troll...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank flow23 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 23.09.2012, 20:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
beach123 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Having lived in a number of major cities including New York, Paris and Sydney, and frequented others like London, Zurich (and Switzerland) is a stand out in terms of cleanliness. I was amazed at the state of my flat when I moved it. I could have eaten off the floor. Every piece of chrome was polished to perfection.

Sure - people in Switzerland throw rubbish on the side walks and this is disappointing. In any city there were be careless messy people. However the overall standard for cleanliness in Switzerland is far superior to most countries!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank beach123 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.09.2012, 13:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Peter 1875 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Is the OP serious?? I can't tell. Seriously, have you actually been to London/Paris etc etc? All pig stys compared to Zurich, which is almost freakishly clean for a major city.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Peter 1875 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 24.09.2012, 13:32
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 120
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 43 Times in 29 Posts
zuercherbirmensdorfer has slipped a little
Re: Zurich street garbage?

I just saw the pic: where's the garbage?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank zuercherbirmensdorfer for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.09.2012, 14:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Feutersoey
Posts: 1,121
Groaned at 104 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 400 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Zurich street garbage?

Is that the pic OP? All I can see is a Manor carrier bag that probably belongs to the lady sitting with it. However, I have seen Zurich looking like a pig stye (sorry pigs, no insult inteneded) on various occassions, such as most Saturday nighs but by Sunday morning the cleaners have been out and it's totally rubbish free again.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zurich Street Parade 2012 almaaaaa Daily life 7 12.08.2012 00:02
street parade - zurich ferdinandaldo Social events 40 10.08.2012 18:23
Zurich Street Parade 2011 Upthehatters2008 Commercial events 164 29.08.2011 16:19
Zurich on street parade day [NON Street Parade activities] hannah'sauntie Daily life 14 10.08.2011 22:51
Zurich Street Parade urashid Travel/day trips/free time 1 30.07.2009 17:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0