Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.01.2013, 11:19
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 743
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
guy on a scooter ran into my car

So I was stopped in a long row of cars the other day, and a guy on a scooter came up on the driver side and then zips into the small gap between me and the car in front, in order to get into the bike lane. It was a tight fit, and he actually hit the front of my car with either his leg or the side of his scooter as he went by.

Once he got in the bike lane, he stopped and looked down at his scooter, so I know that he was perfectly aware of the collision, but then he blasted off again without so much as a nod in my direction. I was yelling "hey, you hit my car! But I was stuck in traffic I couldn't exactly do anything else.

Once I got to a point where I could stop, I looked at the car and couldn't find and damage (I was half expecting there to be blood or bits of blue jeans dangling from the bumper), so I'm assuming he hit the front bumper or license plate bracket with his leg as he went by.

This is the second time in about 6 months that I've seen someone hit a stationary vehicle and just keep going. The first time, I saw a lady parked on a narrow side street get her driver's side mirror torn off by a passing vehicle that didn't stop, even though she was sitting in the car!

I'm wondering how many other people have been involved in a similar situation. Also, in the future, assuming I would have the wit to get the license number, is it worth reporting something like this to the cops? There was no damage, and he didn't seem to be hurt, but I wouldn't want somebody coming back against me saying it was my fault or whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.01.2013, 11:22
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Oberland
Posts: 6,036
Groaned at 290 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 6,784 Times in 2,445 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Get a dash cam...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.01.2013, 11:45
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7,115
Groaned at 196 Times in 137 Posts
Thanked 8,508 Times in 3,636 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Always keep a can of tomatoes handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Q5oBFlO0#t=89s
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:16
SuisseRomand's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva & Nendaz
Posts: 956
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,005 Times in 414 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

You will probably do what some Russians do : put cameras onboard and upload it on youtube....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SuisseRomand for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:16
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundabout Basel
Posts: 6,695
Groaned at 80 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,582 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

I was sitting stationary at a set of lights.

Pedestrian wheeling a bike crosses the road behind me and scrapes my car. Doesn't even stop to apologise.

At which point I wound my window down and gave her verbal...

I got back to the office and there was a small scratch. In itself not a big deal, but if you cared you would have it repaired. Some people...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
sbrinzy has become a little unpopularsbrinzy has become a little unpopular
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

How can you say you were "hit by someone" when in fact a guy on a scooter tuched your bumper with his leg...
I find this habit of blowing insignificant facts out of proportion and claiming legal rights very annoying.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sbrinzy for this useful post:
This user groans at sbrinzy for this post:
  #7  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:42
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 524 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,867 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
So I was stopped in a long row of cars the other day, and a guy on a scooter came up on the driver side and then zips into the small gap between me and the car in front, in order to get into the bike lane. It was a tight fit, and he actually hit the front of my car with either his leg or the side of his scooter as he went by.

Once he got in the bike lane, he stopped and looked down at his scooter, so I know that he was perfectly aware of the collision, but then he blasted off again without so much as a nod in my direction. I was yelling "hey, you hit my car! But I was stuck in traffic I couldn't exactly do anything else.

Once I got to a point where I could stop, I looked at the car and couldn't find and damage (I was half expecting there to be blood or bits of blue jeans dangling from the bumper), so I'm assuming he hit the front bumper or license plate bracket with his leg as he went by.

This is the second time in about 6 months that I've seen someone hit a stationary vehicle and just keep going. The first time, I saw a lady parked on a narrow side street get her driver's side mirror torn off by a passing vehicle that didn't stop, even though she was sitting in the car!

I'm wondering how many other people have been involved in a similar situation. Also, in the future, assuming I would have the wit to get the license number, is it worth reporting something like this to the cops? There was no damage, and he didn't seem to be hurt, but I wouldn't want somebody coming back against me saying it was my fault or whatever.

Sounds like you were too close to the car in front whilst stationary, which did not allow enough room for the bike to get into the bike lane.

The biker managed to squeeze through in enough time to prevent themselves from being hit by an oncoming car but felt contact with your car, as did you.

The biker paused, look at their vehicle, looked at your vehicle, realised there was no damage or harm done, and left.

What is the issue?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:44
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 7,804
Groaned at 150 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 18,803 Times in 5,137 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

I'm more annoyed that an idiot in a scooter thinks it's OK to use a bicycle lane.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:52
Ace1's Avatar
ModerAce
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alsace, Basel, Engelberg
Posts: 4,341
Groaned at 115 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,473 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
I'm more annoyed that an idiot in a scooter thinks it's OK to use a bicycle lane.
_Some_ scooters, i.e. under 50cc, what would class as a 'moped' in the UK, are usually allowed.

But yeah, many scooterists just use the cycle lanes regardless, which really used to piss me off when I rode a proper motorbike, where such behaviour would not be tolerated.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:57
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Villars-sur-Glâne, FR
Posts: 6,855
Groaned at 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 10,678 Times in 3,860 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like you were too close to the car in front whilst stationary, which did not allow enough room for the bike to get into the bike lane.

The biker managed to squeeze through in enough time to prevent themselves from being hit by an oncoming car but felt contact with your car, as did you.

The biker paused, look at their vehicle, looked at your vehicle, realised there was no damage or harm done, and left.

What is the issue?
As far as I know there is no legal minimum distance that should be maintained in a stationary row of traffic. A driver is not obliged to leave enough room for a filtering scooter driver to switch to the cycle lane on a whim.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 17.01.2013, 12:59
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 743
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
How can you say you were "hit by someone" when in fact a guy on a scooter tuched your bumper with his leg...
I find this habit of blowing insignificant facts out of proportion and claiming legal rights very annoying.
I was stationary, as was the whole line of traffic. The guy tried to shortcut between two cars and hit one of them. The car rocked, so I think that I'm correct in saying that he hit me. I didn't claim any "legal rights" other than wondering if I should report in to the cops if faced with a similar situation in the future.

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like you were too close to the car in front whilst stationary, which did not allow enough room for the bike to get into the bike lane.

The biker managed to squeeze through in enough time to prevent themselves from being hit by an oncoming car but felt contact with your car, as did you.

The biker paused, look at their vehicle, looked at your vehicle, realised there was no damage or harm done, and left.

What is the issue?
Obviously he thought that there was enough room, or he wouldn't have tried to go through the gap, It turned out that he was wrong, so I don't see how you can say that "you were too close to the car in front of you." There was no oncoming traffic, he was just trying to get into the bike lane coming off a roundabout (where he had ridden on the sidewalk on the inside portion in order to get around everyone).

He never looked back or acknowledged me in any way whatsoever, which tells me that he couldn't have cared less if there was any damage to my car. But my actual question related more to the fact that I've seen this a couple of times now, and am asking the forum experts here if it's a big deal here in switzerland, or does it happen all the time and to people just live with the occasional bumps and scratches?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
sbrinzy has become a little unpopularsbrinzy has become a little unpopular
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
I was wondering if I should report in to the cops if faced with a similar situation in the future.
yes please, go to the copas and tell them a guy on a scooter touched your bumper with his leg, can't wait to see the scad they'll put together to find the dangerous terrorist
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sbrinzy for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:12
SimonHicken's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 146
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 56 Posts
SimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputation
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

In switzerland scooters (even 50cc) are not allowed to use bike lanes (been there, paid the fine)

Thankfully no damge was done to either your vehicule or the scooter, I also get pissed off by situations like this, although I was really chuffed the other day when a speeding motorist went through a red light and a cop car came out of no-where and pulled them over, so many times I've wondered where the cops are when things like this happen.

Also it's wise to leave a good gap between you and the car infront when stationary just in case you get rear-ended, that way you won't have to go through the insurance hassle of someone paying for your rear end, whilst you pay for your front and someone elses rear.

Another situation would to have a sniper rifle in the car, then you can pick them off as they run away
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank SimonHicken for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:12
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,641
Groaned at 151 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 9,452 Times in 2,666 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
yes please, go to the copas and tell them a guy on a scooter touched your bumper with his leg, can't wait to see the scad they'll put together to find the dangerous terrorist
Sorry, but are you writing in fluent gang talk ....?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:17
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 524 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,867 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know there is no legal minimum distance that should be maintained in a stationary row of traffic. A driver is not obliged to leave enough room for a filtering scooter driver to switch to the cycle lane on a whim.
As far as I know there is not either, but like Simon Hicken said....there are other benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:20
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 743
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Look, at this point, I've heard "report it to the cops" suggested for pretty much everything that happens in the whole country.

Neighbors too loud? Call the police
dog crap in your yard? Call the police
Landlord touches you on the arm? Call the police

The list goes on and on.

I'm not a whiner, just honestly asking a question about a piece of Swiss culture that I have no experience with. Yeah, I was kind of annoyed that he didn't at least say look back to say sorry, or wave it off or something. But if I were back home I would just blow it off.

I'm just asking for a "When in Rome." opinion, which, now that I think about it, it what I got, albeit a little more sarcastically that I would have hoped for....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Desert Rat for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:29
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 524 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,867 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
But if I were back home I would just blow it off.

I'm just asking for a "When in Rome." opinion, which, now that I think about it, it what I got, albeit a little more sarcastically that I would have hoped for....

If I were back home, that act you would do if you were home would mean something else in my home. Just saying, "When in rome.." and all that
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:30
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: At the Beach
Posts: 9,898
Groaned at 387 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 13,635 Times in 5,432 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like you were too close to the car in front whilst stationary, which did not allow enough room for the bike to get into the bike lane.

The biker managed to squeeze through in enough time to prevent themselves from being hit by an oncoming car but felt contact with your car, as did you.

The biker paused, look at their vehicle, looked at your vehicle, realised there was no damage or harm done, and left.

What is the issue?
It wasn't a bike but a scooter

Quote:
View Post
I'm more annoyed that an idiot in a scooter thinks it's OK to use a bicycle lane.
Exactly
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:33
sezdee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 117
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 40 Posts
sezdee has no particular reputation at present
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
...someone paying for your rear end, whilst you pay for your front and someone elses rear...
I hear there's special places for that sort of thing...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:35
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: At the Beach
Posts: 9,898
Groaned at 387 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 13,635 Times in 5,432 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: guy on a scooter ran into my car

Quote:
View Post
I hear there's special places for that sort of thing...
Yep, one rear makes someone's front happy.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone backed into my parked car esto Daily life 10 12.05.2012 08:06
Someone tried to break into my (rented) car :( javaman Daily life 7 09.09.2010 01:29
Installing a MP3 Player into my car sankbhat Transportation/driving 18 16.07.2009 12:30
Help I ran my car into a wall! Princezinha Transportation/driving 9 15.05.2009 12:18
Tax to get car into CH on car owned for less than 6-months NWCLass Transportation/driving 1 28.04.2009 22:04


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0