Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.01.2013, 16:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 2 Posts
DeanH has no particular reputation at present
Dont mess with the TPG!!

Oh dear! I've been nabbed by the much feared TPG or transport stasi.
I was running hopelessly late for an appointment to view an appartment in the Champel area of Geneva.
There you are at a bus stop; moral dilemma alert. The bus is approaching over the horizon, la femme in front is paying for her ticket with every available 10 cent piece she has. You have paid every other time you travelled and you have'nt seen the transport stasi on any journey.
I chance it, just this time, and pray. Beads of sweat drip from every pore, guilt knotting up every internal organ. One stop disappears, two stops...then three. I start to relax, "the TPG won't be up and about on la dimanche", I mutter to myself. Next stop; six burly, surly figures decked in black are stood waiting, "probably going to a door security convention" I tell myself.
They all get on, they all carry handheld machines...."oh my god! Are they tasers......oh jesus it's the transport stasi". "Bonjour monsieur, puis-je voir votre billet, s'il vous plait?", "OK, OK...it's a fair cop! Clamp the irons on officer, burn me at the stake, but please don't hurt my family!"(none of this last statement actually happened).
I am now 80CHF lighter and very much wiser. The moral of the story is BE LATE, BUY A TICKET AND DONT MESS WITH THE TPG. Here endeth the Sunday lesson.
PS am a relatively new arrival in Geneva. Any english speaking, especially those learning French, fancy getting together to share any hard earned wisdom with my wife and I?
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank DeanH for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 20.01.2013, 16:28
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 2,868
Groaned at 259 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,350 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Make sure you have spare advance tickets and be organised ahead of time including arrive with plenty of minutes to spare. Take a risk you know the potential consequences

Actually yet to experience what a fine looks like
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.01.2013, 17:11
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,732
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,161 Times in 5,918 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Oh dear! I've been nabbed by the much feared TPG or transport stasi.
I was running hopelessly late for an appointment to view an appartment in the Champel area of Geneva.
There you are at a bus stop; moral dilemma alert. The bus is approaching over the horizon, la femme in front is paying for her ticket with every available 10 cent piece she has. You have paid every other time you travelled and you have'nt seen the transport stasi on any journey.
I chance it, just this time, and pray. Beads of sweat drip from every pore, guilt knotting up every internal organ. One stop disappears, two stops...then three. I start to relax, "the TPG won't be up and about on la dimanche", I mutter to myself. Next stop; six burly, surly figures decked in black are stood waiting, "probably going to a door security convention" I tell myself.
They all get on, they all carry handheld machines...."oh my god! Are they tasers......oh jesus it's the transport stasi". "Bonjour monsieur, puis-je voir votre billet, s'il vous plait?", "OK, OK...it's a fair cop! Clamp the irons on officer, burn me at the stake, but please don't hurt my family!"(none of this last statement actually happened).
I am now 80CHF lighter and very much wiser. The moral of the story is BE LATE, BUY A TICKET AND DONT MESS WITH THE TPG. Here endeth the Sunday lesson.
PS am a relatively new arrival in Geneva. Any english speaking, especially those learning French, fancy getting together to share any hard earned wisdom with my wife and I?
So sorry for your bad experience, BUT
- where were you sitting ?
- where did the come from ?

They entered one or two stations before, and were clearly visible as those controllers always are
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.01.2013, 17:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 2 Posts
DeanH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Wollishofener, please don't mistake me. This is merely my sense of humour.
I absolutley should have bought a ticket regardless of my timekeeping.
The TPG were quite right to give me a fine. I am just pointing out to people, who may be unaware that they should also buy a ticket even when there is no time. I dont consider it a bad experience just a lesson for me anf for all
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DeanH for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 20.01.2013, 18:44
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,732
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,161 Times in 5,918 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Wollishofener, please don't mistake me. This is merely my sense of humour.
I absolutley should have bought a ticket regardless of my timekeeping.
The TPG were quite right to give me a fine. I am just pointing out to people, who may be unaware that they should also buy a ticket even when there is no time. I dont consider it a bad experience just a lesson for me anf for all
Alright, but a good look of the window ........
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.01.2013, 22:20
ARC_VD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 224
Groaned at 63 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 161 Times in 73 Posts
ARC_VD has earned the respect of manyARC_VD has earned the respect of manyARC_VD has earned the respect of many
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Alright, but a good look of the window ........
They're not always that stupid. Sometimes they just check everyone - those who are inside and those who step off. No way to escape.

The most hardcore checks I've seen are done in M1 in Lausanne. They basically close all entrances of the terminus Flon station save the main one. Then they build a wall of ticket controllers and guards with dogs and stuff, and everyone is forced to leave the metro from one side and pass throu the wall.

No escape either.

I used to wait on the other side of the wall and watch people fall on the web hihi it was quite funny
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.01.2013, 22:45
NewOneINseefeld's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 992
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 203 Times in 127 Posts
NewOneINseefeld is considered knowledgeableNewOneINseefeld is considered knowledgeableNewOneINseefeld is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
They're not always that stupid. Sometimes they just check everyone - those who are inside and those who step off. No way to escape.

The most hardcore checks I've seen are done in M1 in Lausanne. They basically close all entrances of the terminus Flon station save the main one. Then they build a wall of ticket controllers and guards with dogs and stuff, and everyone is forced to leave the metro from one side and pass throu the wall.

No escape either.

I used to wait on the other side of the wall and watch people fall on the web hihi it was quite funny
Same here, Zurich - Seefeld.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.01.2013, 23:13
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,732
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,161 Times in 5,918 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Same here, Zurich - Seefeld.
quite right but you can see them gathering
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.01.2013, 07:43
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 8,027
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 7,018 Times in 3,576 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

So have you bought an abonnement now? http://www.tpg.ch/tarifs/tous-les-tarifs;jsessionid=9A6EA4E790325BE16FB558AF9760ED64

Passes

Transferable 7 days pass (2) 38 CHF 65 CHF
Monthly pass 70 CHF 119 CHF 45 CHF 50 CHF 85 CHF
Transferable monthly pass (2) 110 CHF 187 CHF
Annual pass 700 CHF 1190 CHF 450 CHF 500 CHF 850 CHF
Transferable annual pass (2) 1100 CHF 1870 CHF

A monthly pass costs CHF 70 which is cheaper than a fine.

Last edited by Sbrinz; 21.01.2013 at 07:53.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.01.2013, 07:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anywhere but deadheadland
Posts: 374
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 261 Times in 139 Posts
jonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputationjonbvn has an excellent reputation
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

OP,

Buses to Champel (No. 1, 3 & 8) are very regular during "normal" hours.

TBH, the Stasi were very much in evidnce over the weekend. I got checked twice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.01.2013, 09:39
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,363
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

I like how the Basel lot try and look inconspicuous with six guys evenly spaced down the platform with identical casual coats and shoulder bags... and that they wave to the driver as the tram pulls in.

Anyone without a ticket who doesn't notice that and get off straight away deserves a fine!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank quark for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 21.01.2013, 09:55
SuisseRomand's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva & Nendaz
Posts: 1,003
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,039 Times in 431 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

next time, just tell the driver you didn't had time to buy your ticket.
They are usually ok and will give you time to buy it (at the stop or at the next one.

And if *guards* come on board, they usually tell them about it.


adding : and welcome in Geneva and on board this forum.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SuisseRomand for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.01.2013, 11:50
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Collex-Bossy
Posts: 110
Groaned at 57 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 129 Times in 45 Posts
Centrlsmt is considered unworthyCentrlsmt is considered unworthyCentrlsmt is considered unworthyCentrlsmt is considered unworthy
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Our local route, the Z, has tickets machines on the bus, do the routes that run wholly within Geneva not?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.01.2013, 12:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 1,446
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,299 Times in 699 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

In Geneva only the buses that serve the rural routes have on-board ticket machines. And that can depend on the route as well. The D usually uses vehicles that have them, the 4 (which crosses the borderr to the outerskirts of Saint Julien) isn't consistant about it. But speaking to the driver and explaining usually works; he'll wait at the next stop while you buy one at the roadside machine.
Can't speak for other cantons though.

Inspectors will often get on at the traffic-lights or a couple of hundred metres beyond a stop, so spotting them at the stop itself isn't always possible. The driver then 'locks' the doors so you can't get off anywhere except at the front door until the inspectors have finished checking everyones ticket.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.01.2013, 12:21
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pays de Gex
Posts: 1,077
Groaned at 43 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 795 Times in 346 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
next time, just tell the driver you didn't had time to buy your ticket.
They are usually ok and will give you time to buy it (at the stop or at the next one.

And if *guards* come on board, they usually tell them about it.


adding : and welcome in Geneva and on board this forum.

Funny, I tried this once, as there was construction at the normal bus stop and the replacement stop had no ticket machine. I told the driver that I wasn't able to buy a ticket, and he told me that I need to get one at the next stop. I asked if he would wait, and he said "If you're quick enough". Well, I wasn't (as there was someone also scrambling to get a ticket), and he took off without me. Thanks for nothing, jacques-asse!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.01.2013, 12:24
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundabout Basel
Posts: 6,823
Groaned at 82 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 8,532 Times in 3,675 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Same here, Zurich - Seefeld.


OMG! The TPG check you in Zurich too? Is there no escape?!

Quote:
View Post
I like how the Basel lot try and look inconspicuous with six guys evenly spaced down the platform with identical casual coats and shoulder bags... and that they wave to the driver as the tram pulls in.

Anyone without a ticket who doesn't notice that and get off straight away deserves a fine!
Too true. They are so easy to spot for a seasoned BLT/BVB traveller.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.01.2013, 12:32
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,005
Groaned at 149 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 1,158 Times in 591 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
quite right but you can see them gathering
if you spend each and every bus journey looking out the window. Which also suppose the bus is not too crowded to obscure your view.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.01.2013, 12:36
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundabout Basel
Posts: 6,823
Groaned at 82 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 8,532 Times in 3,675 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
if you spend each and every bus journey looking out the window. Which also suppose the bus is not too crowded to obscure your view.
Generally you only need to look if you don't have a ticket...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21.01.2013, 13:46
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,005
Groaned at 149 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 1,158 Times in 591 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

Quote:
View Post
Generally you only need to look if you don't have a ticket...
which is why I always buy a ticket. then I enjoy the journey in peace and read a book.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.01.2013, 21:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dont mess with the TPG!!

I always worry about this!

Since I rely on public transport everyday, I got myself a monthly ticket.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SVP to immigrants: Donít mess with the Swiss flag The Local Swiss news via The Local 121 27.09.2014 07:05
Sort out the mess ( between 2 threads ) PaddyG Forum support 6 06.09.2012 09:33
Don't mess with the elderly. abi_bouw Jokes/funnies 1 12.07.2012 13:24
If it `aint broke . . don`t mess with it basher General off-topic 3 12.10.2010 21:24
South Africans?-What do I/dont I bring with? KellyM Other/general 10 01.11.2007 20:37


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0