Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.01.2013, 20:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: France
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TobiasUdolicko has no particular reputation at present
Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Dear English Forum folk,

my wife and I and two kids- both under 7- have the option of moving to Lausanne we are a family of brits and have spent the last 8 years abroad in European cities. I have been offered a job paying just under 10k a month in SFR- before any tax. They have offered school fees and medical insurance on top of that.

Ideally we would like to rent a 3 bed flat and critically not be car dependent. the work is in Lausanne. On this sort of a salary could we live well? With the squids at the age they are we dont really go fine dining or out a great deal, but we would love a bit more space- we currently live in just under 80m2 in Paris and pay nearly 2000 euro a month for it- so we are used to crazy prices.

Am I am being naive to think we might be able to save a bit of money on this kind of salary- I have looked at several property websites and prices seem a bit, shall we say lively?

Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received. Or any other type of wisdom.

Thanks,

T
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.01.2013, 23:31
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,050 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Yes. Most families live on about 1/2 of that.

Look for an apartment for no more than 1/3 of your gross salary.

Welcome to Lausanne!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.01.2013, 07:48
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 7,167
Groaned at 79 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 4,552 Times in 2,632 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Yes, you should be fine with that salary plus the extras. Would you plan to put the kids in local school or an international one? If international then it's worth checking the school fees figure the company are willing to pay; I've read on threads here the Int schools can be around the CHF25-30,000 a year mark.

Swiss public transport is very good so even if you look for a place a little outside of Lausanne you shouldn't have any problems. Use the SBB website www.sbb.ch to check journey times from outlying areas if you find a place advertised that you like the look of. It'll give you not only from train station to train station, but include bus and other transport needed so you get a complete journey time.

A book full of useful advice is "Living and Working in Switzerland" and your local bookshop or Amazon can easily get it for you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31.01.2013, 08:49
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,070
Groaned at 150 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 1,205 Times in 613 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Most families live on about 1/2 of that.
I've obviously got problems managing my budget because I would just about get by myself on that in Lausanne if I were renting an 80m2 flat.

Having health insurance paid for is a nice and very important benefit though as prices for families are crazy expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31.01.2013, 11:06
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,234
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,098 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

we did, for a while get by with quite a bit less than that. it was not fun at all. but rents have increased incredibly here in lausanne, and you can expect to easily pay 3500+for a three bedroom in a nice area. you will have much bigger places than paris (our parisian friends are always amazed at the size of our apt). personally, it may be a bit cheaper outside of the center, but if you want to have a car-free life, i would look towards the center and lake area and pully. you don't want to do your big shopping and lug everything with the kids for too long. trust me i know

international schools in lausanne are very expensive, i would say 30,000 could be the low end but you're not paying .

could you save money on this salary? that depends how you live. frankly, i saved money much easier living in manhattan though i didn't have nearly as much free time and weekend fun outside.
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.01.2013, 11:08
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,234
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,098 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
I've obviously got problems managing my budget because I would just about get by myself on that in Lausanne if I were renting an 80m2 flat.

Having health insurance paid for is a nice and very important benefit though as prices for families are crazy expensive.
really? either you have an outta control vice or have holes in your pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.01.2013, 12:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: France
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TobiasUdolicko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Thanks for the comments and ideas. It seems opinion is a little divided on living costs and lifestyles, But I am feeling that life is pricey and potentially worth it for good access to the great outdoors.

Clearly housing is the big deal. And I have done some searching online through the websites that have been recommended. In france we have pap.fr that is for landlords and tenants to cut out estate agents- is there a similar website in Switzerland?

Thanks again for any other comments and thoughts. This missus and I have our showdown talks on Friday night so all your testimonies are very useful.

T
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.01.2013, 13:00
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 7,167
Groaned at 79 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 4,552 Times in 2,632 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the comments and ideas. It seems opinion is a little divided on living costs and lifestyles, But I am feeling that life is pricey and potentially worth it for good access to the great outdoors.

Clearly housing is the big deal. And I have done some searching online through the websites that have been recommended. In france we have pap.fr that is for landlords and tenants to cut out estate agents- is there a similar website in Switzerland?

Thanks again for any other comments and thoughts. This missus and I have our showdown talks on Friday night so all your testimonies are very useful.

T
Try www.anibis.ch and www.petitesannonces.ch and look in their immobilier sections.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.01.2013, 14:04
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,234
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,098 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

i would make sure to have your employer help you find something. it is a very tight market here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.01.2013, 15:12
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,050 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
I've obviously got problems managing my budget because I would just about get by myself on that in Lausanne if I were renting an 80m2 flat.

Having health insurance paid for is a nice and very important benefit though as prices for families are crazy expensive.
Well, maybe I should have said 2/3 instead of 1/2. And I should have said the average salary as opposed to family income. It was late.

"... le salaire moyen brut mensuel tous secteurs confondus est de près de 6350 francs suisses à Zurich, contre un peu plus de 5 070 francs suisses au Tessin..."

But still 120K is a good salary. You won't be living the jet set life, but I think a good life, especially as healthcare & schooling are being paid. The big issue will be housing. If you look further out and don't expect to live in luxury in the center of town with parking, and you're patient, you should be able to find something suitable for under 3K.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.01.2013, 15:13
lemondrizzle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 337
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 142 Times in 103 Posts
lemondrizzle is considered knowledgeablelemondrizzle is considered knowledgeablelemondrizzle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Dear English Forum folk,

my wife and I and two kids- both under 7- have the option of moving to Lausanne we are a family of brits and have spent the last 8 years abroad in European cities. I have been offered a job paying just under 10k a month in SFR- before any tax. They have offered school fees and medical insurance on top of that.
You have put that school fees are being offered.
Just a few thoughts about this:
If you are planning on putting your kids into one of the international or private schools, I would check exactly what they mean.
Just the basic fees? Will they pay for all the extra stuff too?? Or do the extras come out of your salary?
Also, will they definitely pay up regardless of your duration in Lausanne? Or will you be expected to foot the bill yourself at some point later down the line?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lemondrizzle for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.01.2013, 15:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 477
Groaned at 86 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 185 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Try www.anibis.ch and www.petitesannonces.ch and look in their immobilier sections.
http://www.homegate.ch is the portal used by landlords.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.02.2013, 13:31
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,070
Groaned at 150 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 1,205 Times in 613 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
You have put that school fees are being offered.
Just a few thoughts about this:
If you are planning on putting your kids into one of the international or private schools, I would check exactly what they mean.
Just the basic fees? Will they pay for all the extra stuff too?? Or do the extras come out of your salary?
Also, will they definitely pay up regardless of your duration in Lausanne? Or will you be expected to foot the bill yourself at some point later down the line?

Great questions. Such an expensive benefit as school fees with a salary of just 120K seems unusual to me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.02.2013, 15:46
Pernilleskokken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 399
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 208 Times in 98 Posts
Pernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of many
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
we did, for a while get by with quite a bit less than that. it was not fun at all. but rents have increased incredibly here in lausanne, and you can expect to easily pay 3500+for a three bedroom in a nice area. you will have much bigger places than paris (our parisian friends are always amazed at the size of our apt).
We lived in 2 very nice apartments in the nice sous-gare neigbourhood, 10min walk from the train station (between the station and the lake and also walking distance to the centre of town, though uphill), apartments with 2 large bedrooms, balcony, high ceilings and "moulures" (like in parisian hausmann style apartments).
They both cost around 2100chf including charges.

So I'm quite sure you can find a 3 bedroom apartment, central, for less than 3500! You just have to really put in a lot effort to get them (motivation letter, making calls to the right people etc. - I got my CEO to phone the régie in order to get the apartment).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.02.2013, 17:46
Trailing Hubby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 130
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Trailing Hubby has made some interesting contributions
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
We lived in 2 very nice apartments in the nice sous-gare neigbourhood, 10min walk from the train station (between the station and the lake and also walking distance to the centre of town, though uphill), apartments with 2 large bedrooms, balcony, high ceilings and "moulures" (like in parisian hausmann style apartments).
They both cost around 2100chf including charges.

So I'm quite sure you can find a 3 bedroom apartment, central, for less than 3500! You just have to really put in a lot effort to get them (motivation letter, making calls to the right people etc. - I got my CEO to phone the régie in order to get the apartment).
Hmm. Currently looking for exactly such a flat, and anything suitable (not that we have secured anything yet...) is between about 3000 and 3500. It seems like rents have jumped massively in the past year from speaking to people.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Trailing Hubby for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.02.2013, 18:15
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,050 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
We lived in 2 very nice apartments in the nice sous-gare neigbourhood, 10min walk from the train station (between the station and the lake and also walking distance to the centre of town, though uphill), apartments with 2 large bedrooms, balcony, high ceilings and "moulures" (like in parisian hausmann style apartments).
They both cost around 2100chf including charges.

So I'm quite sure you can find a 3 bedroom apartment, central, for less than 3500! You just have to really put in a lot effort to get them (motivation letter, making calls to the right people etc. - I got my CEO to phone the régie in order to get the apartment).
Plus patience, luck and good timing! But I agree, they are out there somewhere. And if you go out from from the center you can find quite a few more options under 3K with gorgeous views and on a bus line.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.02.2013, 19:22
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,234
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,098 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

you can find something for a bit less but start networking with swiss people and chatting with people. best chance to take something temporary and give yourself time to find something good. worked for us
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01.02.2013, 19:35
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 244
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 135 Times in 77 Posts
Prishe has made some interesting contributions
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Plus patience, luck and good timing! But I agree, they are out there somewhere. And if you go out from from the center you can find quite a few more options under 3K with gorgeous views and on a bus line.
I live in a 3 bed apartment, for less than 2200 a month, in the north-west party of Lausanne, near 2 bus lines, with a great view. (Moved in a year ago). So they are out there, just need to look all the time, check all the websites, and cross your fingers! The good apartments go really quick.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Prishe for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.02.2013, 21:00
Pernilleskokken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 399
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 208 Times in 98 Posts
Pernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of manyPernilleskokken has earned the respect of many
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Quote:
View Post
Hmm. Currently looking for exactly such a flat, and anything suitable (not that we have secured anything yet...) is between about 3000 and 3500. It seems like rents have jumped massively in the past year from speaking to people.
The rents I quoted are only from a year ago (new contracts signed in August 2011 and June 2012). Are you talking to local (swiss) people??
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.02.2013, 08:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: France
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TobiasUdolicko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Potential Lausanne move- advice please!

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. We have agreed terms and now begin the seemingly hectic and frustrating search for a place to live! Not moving until the 1st August but I can feel the pressure building. Particularly when Mrs Udolickova becomes the Woman from Delmonte. Thanks again for all the tips and comments- really useful.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
living




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Move to Zurich srosol Daily life 13 26.01.2013 17:10
Potential Lausanne move Trailing Hubby Daily life 26 04.09.2012 14:36
potential move to winterthur pimlico Daily life 7 12.03.2010 09:57
Potential Move from Canada Boosy Introductions 4 26.09.2009 21:42
Moving to Switzerland? Right Move? Advice please. JohnYossarian Employment 21 09.02.2007 23:34


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0