Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.02.2013, 20:41
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 4,403
Groaned at 200 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 8,541 Times in 2,663 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

In the depths of the heart of Switzerland, I have been now taught how to scan my Migros products and self check-out by cheerful Migros employees. It was a success. I was quicker and the items were less man-handled than usual. Do I need to worry about Migros letting some of those cashiers go?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.02.2013, 20:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 295
Groaned at 14 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 282 Times in 119 Posts
Marsalforn has earned the respect of manyMarsalforn has earned the respect of manyMarsalforn has earned the respect of many
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Out of principle I refuse to use self checkouts, as for sure they put people out of jobs. Just look how few staff you need in banks now that everyone uses ATMs, and a pump attendant is no longer necessary now we all fill our own cars.

I work full time, so my free time is precious, but I like to do what I can for others where its possible. We have seen on this site how difficult people are now finding it to get jobs.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Marsalforn for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:03
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchatel
Posts: 3,360
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,518 Times in 1,746 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
In the depths of the heart of Switzerland, I have been now taught how to scan my Migros products and self check-out by cheerful Migros employees. It was a success. I was quicker and the items were less man-handled than usual. Do I need to worry about Migros letting some of those cashiers go?
During the past week they have taken out about half of the checkouts at our local Migros and replaced them with the self scan devices. My first thought when I saw it all was that they would need far fewer cashiers.
Based on my observations of the older people that the lady was demonstrating to my fear now is that the queues will be very long at the 'normal' checkouts and there will be next to nobody at the self scan ones.
I have to admit that I rather like my interactions with the checkout operators here but I can see that self scan if done correctly could be much quicker.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:12
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 7,557
Groaned at 146 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 17,896 Times in 4,926 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

The self-scan checkouts work well, they even have an English language option, which is great. They're popular in the UK as well - obviously, it's a way to reduce staff costs. But rebelling against using those ... well, you shouldn't be in a supermarket in the first place imo, instead buying fromlocal retailers. One you're in the cost-cutting system you might as well take it to the max

I've not tried the Coop version (where you scan your own stuff as you go around the shop, then go to a cashier as usual for a quick check) as when I tried to collect one of the scanning machines, even trying to release it scanning my Coop Supercard, I just got an error. No English option and I assume you have to register first or something? Overly complex.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:13
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 6,555
Groaned at 164 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 7,903 Times in 3,304 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

If they put these in Aldi, then they'd be no staff left.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:19
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,380 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

The Coop one is great but you do have to register first at the kiosk. I use it every time I shop, it adds up your shopping as you go so you know how much you are spending. Give it to cashier at end then pay. No more faffing around unloading and reloading your trolley.

Quote:
View Post
I've not tried the Coop version (where you scan your own stuff as you go around the shop, then go to a cashier as usual for a quick check) as when I tried to collect one of the scanning machines, even trying to release it scanning my Coop Supercard, I just got an error. No English option and I assume you have to register first or something? Overly complex.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ...
Posts: 916
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 394 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

I used it once, when the other checkouts were full of people waiting....

was fun to do, but I like to speak with the cashier (even more when it's a nice woman )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New_Elephant has become a little unpopularNew_Elephant has become a little unpopular
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
The self-scan checkouts work well, they even have an English language option, which is great. They're popular in the UK as well - obviously, it's a way to reduce staff costs. But rebelling against using those ... well, you shouldn't be in a supermarket in the first place imo, instead buying fromlocal retailers. One you're in the cost-cutting system you might as well take it to the max

I've not tried the Coop version (where you scan your own stuff as you go around the shop, then go to a cashier as usual for a quick check) as when I tried to collect one of the scanning machines, even trying to release it scanning my Coop Supercard, I just got an error. No English option and I assume you have to register first or something? Overly complex.
I regularly use the Coop version at Sihlcity, Zurich and its very easy rather; no need to go to cashier, there are always 1-2 sales persons to assist in case of a problem, no need to register or any such thing like mandatory coopcard or so. Just English is not an option yet but its basic german or a few logical steps that can take you through.


In general, about self check thru and impact on staff; I second your opinion and to add, there would have been so many people who would be developing the software and hardware of those machines for making our lives simple - so new jobs and business for those machine vendors .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank New_Elephant for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:36
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 7,557
Groaned at 146 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 17,896 Times in 4,926 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
I regularly use the Coop version at Sihlcity, Zurich and its very easy rather; no need to go to cashie.
You're talking about the self-scan checkouts rather than the Coop things I've seen, which is where you walk around with your own barcode reader and scan stuff as you shop, then paying the total registered on the handheld barcode device when you leave. However, you need to do this at a cashdesk. And you need to register, for some weird reason, before you can use the system even if you use a Supercard.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:38
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,380 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

It's called Passabene at Coop. Just be aware that there are random controls so every now & again you have to empty your trolley of it's goods and they check you have scanned everything properly.

Quote:
View Post
You're talking about the self-scan checkouts rather than the Coop things I've seen, which is where you walk around with your own barcode reader and scan stuff as you shop, then paying the total registered on the handheld barcode device when you leave. However, you need to do this at a cashdesk. And you need to register, for some weird reason, before you can use the system even if you use a Supercard.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:43
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Oberland
Posts: 5,956
Groaned at 289 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 6,593 Times in 2,397 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
Out of principle I refuse to use self checkouts, as for sure they put people out of jobs. Just look how few staff you need in banks now that everyone uses ATMs, and a pump attendant is no longer necessary now we all fill our own cars.

I work full time, so my free time is precious, but I like to do what I can for others where its possible. We have seen on this site how difficult people are now finding it to get jobs.
I suppose you approve of the chimney sweep coming to sweep gas flues - and what about the typewriter salesman, carbon paper factories, TV repair man, etc etc??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:44
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,910
Groaned at 25 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,246 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

If you used the self checkout, could you easily steal things?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23.02.2013, 21:44
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Oberland
Posts: 5,956
Groaned at 289 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 6,593 Times in 2,397 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
It's called Passabene at Coop. Just be aware that there are random controls so every now & again you have to empty your trolley of it's goods and they check you have scanned everything properly.
I have the Coop self-scan (Passebene) app on my iPhone. There sadly doesn't seem much advantage to this as the Coop scanners work better...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.02.2013, 07:17
Glendyn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ZH. Horgen area
Posts: 915
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 814 Times in 358 Posts
Glendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

I have a little one that sits in the child seat in thr trolley and loves to press buttons. in Migros to increase the quantity of an item you just need to press + once and it's done. But to decrease you need to press minus, and than a confirmation. Consequence - at the end of my shop I have to go through and check all the quantities...
Plus sometimes she unloads items back on the shelves - and I only find out when I get home which items I've paid for but left in Migros. Fortunatley she doesn't also load items in the trolley - I'm not sure they would be so sympathetic to my explanation if controlled.
So parents beware!!
__________________
For sale: DVDs & Air Conditioner
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Glendyn for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 60 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,513 Times in 2,037 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Had our first experience of these when we were on holiday in the States back in 2007 and went into the local Walmart. We tried the self service ones twice, but won't do so again.

Ikea have had them here for several years, but we will never use them. And seeing the queues of people at the proper checkouts while the self service ones are empty tells me that a lot of other people don't like them either. I'd rather queue for half an hour than use those things.

It's the same when we go back on holiday to the UK; Tesco and Boots staff try and get customers to use self service, but people are standing in line waiting at the proper checkout because they don't want to use self service tills. The staff at Boots are always asking people if they'd like to use them and they all say no.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:12
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 1,993
Groaned at 29 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 2,012 Times in 936 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
In the depths of the heart of Switzerland, I have been now taught how to scan my Migros products and self check-out by cheerful Migros employees. It was a success.
I tried it once out of curiosity, but avoid the self check-out whenever possible.

I just don't see the point. Why should I voluntarily do the cashier's work? I don't get any benefits. Possibly some cashiers will lose their jobs or won't be replaced.

I lose.
Society loses.
Only Migros (already operating with the highest gross margin of any major supermarket chain in Europe) benefits by milking even more money out of its customers and employees.

No, thanks.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mark75 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:33
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 914
Groaned at 64 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,594 Times in 490 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
Had our first experience of these when we were on holiday in the States back in 2007 and went into the local Walmart. We tried the self service ones twice, but won't do so again.

Ikea have had them here for several years, but we will never use them. And seeing the queues of people at the proper checkouts while the self service ones are empty tells me that a lot of other people don't like them either. I'd rather queue for half an hour than use those things.

It's the same when we go back on holiday to the UK; Tesco and Boots staff try and get customers to use self service, but people are standing in line waiting at the proper checkout because they don't want to use self service tills. The staff at Boots are always asking people if they'd like to use them and they all say no.
I think you're thinking of the wrong thing. Self-checkout, as seen at Ikea and Walmart, where you scan and bag your purchases at a self-checkout station is a tremendous waste of time and a pain in the ass. The things at Coop and Migros, on the other hand, are hand held scanners, and you scan and bag your stuff as you shop and then just pay and leave, which is very efficient and faster than the conventional way, imho.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:36
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 1,993
Groaned at 29 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 2,012 Times in 936 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
Self-checkout, as seen at Ikea and Walmart, where you scan and bag your purchases at a self-checkout station is a tremendous waste of time and a pain in the ass. The things at Coop and Migros, on the other hand, are hand held scanners [...]
Never seen them at Coop, but Migros does have self check-out stations, e.g. at Zurich Limmatplatz.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:39
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 914
Groaned at 64 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,594 Times in 490 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
Don't know about Coop, but Migros does have self check-out stations, e.g. at Zurich Limmatplatz.
I know, those are horrible, only some stores have the handheld scanners. I'm just pointing out that there's a substantial difference between the two and it seems people are referring to the interchangeably.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.02.2013, 08:49
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 60 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,513 Times in 2,037 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros Self-scanning / Self check thru

Quote:
View Post
I think you're thinking of the wrong thing. Self-checkout, as seen at Ikea and Walmart, where you scan and bag your purchases at a self-checkout station is a tremendous waste of time and a pain in the ass. The things at Coop and Migros, on the other hand, are hand held scanners, and you scan and bag your stuff as you shop and then just pay and leave, which is very efficient and faster than the conventional way, imho.
Ah, didn't know Migros had a similar system to Coop. I've never used the Passebene one because I don't shop in Coop anymore. I don't get much stuff in Migros either so I doubt I'll be using their system in future.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
migros, self check, self-service




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self employment Jaidey89 Daily life 5 08.01.2013 18:47
For sale in Geneva: learn French: Migros Ecole & Self-paced course books/guides happyfeet Items for sale 2 23.04.2011 19:21
Self-supporting Piratenation Permits/visas/government 4 15.01.2011 08:00
Self esteem, Self love, Self faith : What about you ? Bertrand - Geneva Family matters/health 245 26.11.2009 16:59
Is it better to buy Sky thru a agent or thru a friend in UK Samsan TV/internet/telephone 12 21.03.2007 08:58


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0