Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:02
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 294 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 5,125 Times in 1,827 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

In the next few weeks 5 million people in Switzerland are going to receive a nice pack of Iodine tablets through their letterbox. Anyone living within a 50 km radius of a nuclear power station will be given these tablets to take... wait for it... in the event of an accident at one of the Swiss nuclear power stations. However, ONLY when instructed to do so.

Following the hysteria of Fukushima, (which let's remind ourselves was caused by a Tsunami, and as bad as it was has killed as of today precisely no one) the Swiss government feel the need to protect our Thyroids in the event of nuclear catastrophe.

Who will pay for this 30 chf million exercise is unclear. What is clear is that our German neighbours living directly next to Leibstadt power station will not receive any tablets. So tough shit for Fritz if anything does happen.

I find these measures quite hilarious, and almost crashed my car when I heard this news on the radio last night. But at the end it's good to know that with our Iodine tablets and cellar bunkers everything will be OK when the balloon goes up. I'm now looking forward to receiving my cyanide tablet through the post on the off chance that the SVP gain more powers.

http://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/ungew...n-jodtabletten
http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/aargau...t-an-128464409
https://www.naz.ch/de/themen/jod_tabletten.html
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Basel/Valais
Posts: 292
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 326 Times in 129 Posts
annie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputationannie has an excellent reputation
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

I thought you were going to say this is an initiative to combat a lack of iodine in the diet in Alpine areas that historically this led to the medical term cretinism.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank annie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,049
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,166 Times in 5,749 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
I find these measures quite hilarious, and almost crashed my car when I heard this news on the radio last night. But at the end it's good to know that with our Iodine tablets and cellar bunkers everything will be OK when the balloon goes up. I'm now looking forward to receiving my cyanide tablet through the post on the off chance that the SVP gain more powers.
I hope that if you live in an area that receives the tablets that you bin them straight away and in the case of a nuclear accident, you don't go crying to mummy like the impertinent little girl that your post suggest you are.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:29
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

This is nothing new, we still have the tablets we received ten years ago.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:31
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,196
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,208 Times in 4,909 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

That's nothing new. We've had them ever since we moved here 4 years ago and we're 35km from the nearest nuclear power station.

The only bizarre thing is why they've suddenly decided that the Aargauers are worth saving should an accident happen, the roads would be much safer without them.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:32
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,341
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,996 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Whoo hoo! More purple smoke as the old, expired tables are incinerated.

Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:33
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
That's nothing new. We've had them ever since we moved here 4 years ago and we're 35km from the nearest nuclear power station.

The only bizarre thing is why they've suddenly decided that the Aargauers are worth saving should an accident happen, the roads would be much safer without them.
Lucky for you I won't take offence as I don't drive here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:45
Jekyll's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 883
Groaned at 37 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 473 Posts
Jekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

What a bizarre post.

You find it hilarious that a government seeks to protect the health of it's citizens in the event of a nuclear incident?

Iodine tablets are widely accepted as an effective measure against low to medium level radiation. The timing of the dose is important. Hence the instructions make perfect sense.

The tablets have a shelf life of 10 years, hence the regular replacements. This has absolutely nothing to do with Fukushima. (although the residents of the areas surrounding Fukusima could have protected themselves if tablets had been available - they were stored centrally and never distributed to residents, although doctors, nurses and emergency personnel did take them. The Swiss system of local distribution makes far more sense.)

Quote:
Why take iodine tablets
In an accident, a lot of radioactive iodine may be released into the air. Most of the inhaled iodine is stored in the thyroid gland. Hence the thyroid gland receives a considerably high radiation dose. The radiation emitted by radioactive iodine may cause tumours or hypofunction in the thyroid gland.

The accumulation of radioactive iodine in the thyroid gland can be efficiently reduced by taking a iodine tablet at the right moment. Non-radioactive potassium iodine saturates the thyroid gland. Consequently, radioactive iodine cannot be absorbed in the thyroid gland. Radioactive iodine is passed from the body with urine.

The tablet should be taken 1 - 6 hours before the radioactive cloud is transferred to the area. One iodine dose provides protection for about 24 hours.
Reply With Quote
The following 20 users would like to thank Jekyll for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:50
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,243 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
This is nothing new, we still have the tablets we received ten years ago.
I thought it was standard practice as well. Why the sudden announcement?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.10.2014, 10:58
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 2,827
Groaned at 155 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
I thought it was standard practice as well. Why the sudden announcement?
Because, if I remember the article this morning correctly, they're expanding the zone (e.g. radius from the nuclear plant) of distribution of the tablets.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:00
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

I've had iodine tablets for years - I always use mine to check the efficiency of my plants' photosynthesis.

(Although purple pee, can be something of a novelty)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:02
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
Because, if I remember the article this morning correctly, they're expanding the zone (e.g. radius from the nuclear plant) of distribution of the tablets.
Indeed, the radius is extended from 20km to 50km - however, the German Media already picked-up on this, questioning why the population north of the border doesn't get any...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:06
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 2,827
Groaned at 155 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, the radius is extended from 20km to 50km - however, the German Media already picked-up on this, questioning why the population north of the border doesn't get any...
We might not be able to keep our banking data out of their greedy hands, but dag nabbit, we'll keep our iodine!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:13
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,243 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, the radius is extended from 20km to 50km - however, the German Media already picked-up on this, questioning why the population north of the border doesn't get any...
Because Swiss radiation is only for the Swiss.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:16
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 294 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 5,125 Times in 1,827 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
What a bizarre post.

You find it hilarious that a government seeks to protect the health of it's citizens in the event of a nuclear incident?

Iodine tablets are widely accepted as an effective measure against low to medium level radiation. The timing of the dose is important. Hence the instructions make perfect sense.

The tablets have a shelf life of 10 years, hence the regular replacements. This has absolutely nothing to do with Fukushima. (although the residents of the areas surrounding Fukusima could have protected themselves if tablets had been available - they were stored centrally and never distributed to residents, although doctors, nurses and emergency personnel did take them. The Swiss system of local distribution makes far more sense.)
I find it hilarious in that it's completely unnecessary. In the same way that national service here is unnecessary. And nuclear bunkers in your cellar. It may give you a nice warm gooey feeling inside to believe that the state have your protection at heart, but the reality is that it'd make little to no difference if something did happen.

If an accident were to occur at Beznau or Leibstadt on the same scale as say Fukushima or Chernobyl, a full evacuation of Zürich and Basel would be necessary so those iodine tablets would be pointless when you've been kicked out your house and have to slaughter your cat for dinner.

Fukushima is one of the reasons given for the expansion of the zone where you'll receive the tablets and also for the long term plan to close all the nuclear power stations in Switzerland. Having toured Leibstadt, I personally don't think there's any great risk of an accident occurring. And 30 million chuffs is money I think that could be better spent elsewhere. I may sound like an impertinent little girl, and although I won't be binning my tablets, I'll happily send them on to you, Tom, if you provide a forwarding address
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:19
Schweizerdutch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lu Lu Land (aka Luzern, LU)
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 43 Posts
Schweizerdutch has earned some respectSchweizerdutch has earned some respect
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, the radius is extended from 20km to 50km - however, the German Media already picked-up on this, questioning why the population north of the border doesn't get any...
No free movement of iodine tablets. The Swiss govt is keeping this one as a bargaining chip in the negotiations with the EU.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Schweizerdutch for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.10.2014, 11:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fulenbach
Posts: 262
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 100 Posts
Pavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeable
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
What a bizarre post.

You find it hilarious that a government seeks to protect the health of it's citizens in the event of a nuclear incident?

Iodine tablets are widely accepted as an effective measure against low to medium level radiation. The timing of the dose is important. Hence the instructions make perfect sense.

The tablets have a shelf life of 10 years, hence the regular replacements. This has absolutely nothing to do with Fukushima. (although the residents of the areas surrounding Fukusima could have protected themselves if tablets had been available - they were stored centrally and never distributed to residents, although doctors, nurses and emergency personnel did take them. The Swiss system of local distribution makes far more sense.)
The baffling thing really is that iodine tablets have an expiry date, since potassium iodide is a stable compound and should be well encapsulated.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pavanne for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 17.10.2014, 12:11
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,049
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,166 Times in 5,749 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post

If an accident were to occur at Beznau or Leibstadt on the same scale as say Fukushima or Chernobyl, a full evacuation of Zürich and Basel would be necessary so those iodine tablets would be pointless when you've been kicked out your house and have to slaughter your cat for dinner.
But if the more likely scenario of a leak rather than a more serious accident was to occur then the iodine tablets would help.

Your argument is like saying, for example, we shouldn't get scientists to look into meteorite warning systems because if a really big one came along, we'd all die anyway.

Quote:
View Post
Having toured Leibstadt, I personally don't think there's any great risk of an accident occurring.
Thanks for doing a full nuclear power station safety inspection in your spare time, and for free on behalf of local (and not so local) residents.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 17.10.2014, 12:13
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

Quote:
View Post
The baffling thing really is that iodine tablets have an expiry date, since potassium iodide is a stable compound and should be well encapsulated.
I suppose by law the manufacturers have to specify an expiry date.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.10.2014, 12:17
Jekyll's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 883
Groaned at 37 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 473 Posts
Jekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you taken your Iodine tablets?

This is seriously naive.

In a major incident, is precisely the people being evacuated from Zürich or Basel who would benefit most from an iodide dosage. They would have sufficient time to react and administer the dose before the fallout hit.

In the more likely event of a low level release, local people can protect themselves.

I'm astonished that you feel qualified to judge the safety of the Swiss nuclear installed base after a guided tour of Leibstadt!

Cheers
Jekyll

Quote:
View Post
I find it hilarious in that it's completely unnecessary. In the same way that national service here is unnecessary. And nuclear bunkers in your cellar. It may give you a nice warm gooey feeling inside to believe that the state have your protection at heart, but the reality is that it'd make little to no difference if something did happen.

If an accident were to occur at Beznau or Leibstadt on the same scale as say Fukushima or Chernobyl, a full evacuation of Zürich and Basel would be necessary so those iodine tablets would be pointless when you've been kicked out your house and have to slaughter your cat for dinner.

Fukushima is one of the reasons given for the expansion of the zone where you'll receive the tablets and also for the long term plan to close all the nuclear power stations in Switzerland. Having toured Leibstadt, I personally don't think there's any great risk of an accident occurring. And 30 million chuffs is money I think that could be better spent elsewhere. I may sound like an impertinent little girl, and although I won't be binning my tablets, I'll happily send them on to you, Tom, if you provide a forwarding address
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jekyll for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
accident, fukushima, iodine, nuclear




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you store your trash if you don't have a Balcony? camembert Daily life 35 05.11.2013 14:26
Where do you buy your laptops and electronic tablets from? [Basel] Spellbound TV/internet/telephone 5 14.08.2013 13:12
If you spend your LPP do you still have AVS benefits? Lizard_day Insurance 6 29.07.2011 16:55
How do you clean your floor when you have a cat? lost_inbroad Pet corner 55 09.06.2011 08:35
Have you would you have a docking station put in your house for a hoover? Sutter Housing in general 31 03.10.2010 12:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0