Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.02.2015, 18:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Malteser has no particular reputation at present
Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am posting this question in this section because I'm not sure what the most appropriate section is.

I am a Maltese law student carrying out research on the Swiss licensing laws on brothels and strip clubs/other adult entertainment. I recognize that Switzerland is split into Cantons each with their own legal regimes in this area, but it seems that there is a common trend: strip clubs are generally allowed to operate simultaneously as brothels.

Could anyone direct me to any legislation or policies (of any Canton) that lays out the licensing rules for live adult entertainment? Would be preferable if they are in English or Italian.

I have emailed various law professors in Zurich, but they weren't of much help (they could only provide me with a link to the Swiss Criminal Code and to the Zurich prostitution law).

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.02.2015, 18:28
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,083 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

< lurks >
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.02.2015, 18:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 884
Groaned at 19 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 564 Times in 349 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Today's law: http://www3.ti.ch/CAN/RLeggi/public/...egge/vid/01_23
Which was modified following this:
gov't message with history: http://www.ti.ch/CAN/SegGC/comunicaz...g-mes/5044.htm
parliament commission response: http://www.ti.ch/CAN/SegGC/comunicaz...rti/5044-r.htm

Strip clubs don't have anything to do with prostitution so they're not mentioned in the law I think, they are like dancing clubs or something.
The law is inadequate and they wanted to change it, but there was considerable opposition from some because they said it didn't condemn prostitution in the law and made it too easy. Now there are only a few brothels left (they clamped down on irregular ones in recent years after 10 years of tolerance) and an explosion of illegal prostitution in residential apartments, which is illegal because they're not for commercial activity.

Last edited by Meerkat33; 23.02.2015 at 18:53.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.02.2015, 18:56
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,532
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,660 Times in 5,514 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Ha, ha, this should be fun.

Try reading this:

"Encouraging customers to consume alcohol and engage in prostitution is not part of your job."

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/dam/data/bf...isten-mb-e.pdf

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/dam/data/bf...nvertrag-e.pdf

Meanwhile, I'll get the popcorn on.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.02.2015, 19:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Malteser has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Thank you, very informative. I'll read through them later.

Isn't there some licensing regime for strip clubs, though? Or is there simply one licensing regime for all entertainment clubs, irrespective of the type of entertainment offered? Or perhaps it is permissible to have a strip club within the brothel itself, so owners simply rely on brothel regulations?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.02.2015, 19:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Malteser has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Quote:
View Post
Ha, ha, this should be fun.

Try reading this:

"Encouraging customers to consume alcohol and engage in prostitution is not part of your job."

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/dam/data/bf...isten-mb-e.pdf

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/dam/data/bf...nvertrag-e.pdf

Meanwhile, I'll get the popcorn on.
Thanks for this too! Very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.02.2015, 19:10
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,609 Times in 6,216 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, very informative. I'll read through them later.

Isn't there some licensing regime for strip clubs, though? Or is there simply one licensing regime for all entertainment clubs, irrespective of the type of entertainment offered? Or perhaps it is permissible to have a strip club within the brothel itself, so owners simply rely on brothel regulations?
Some years ago there was a bit of a minor scandal when strip clubs were advertising jobs and the unemployment office was under certain conditions able to force applicants to go to interviews, and it turned out these interviews were in strip clubs. I'm not sure whether this was just incompetence on the part of the unemployment office or whether it is that jobs there were considered like any other job.

To their defence, these weren't actually stripping jobs but jobs at the bar or backstage etc, or even in the accounts department. But in order to maximize the fallout, the newspapers relegated that detail into the smallprint.

The type of entertainemnt you can offer depends on zoning laws. Thus in a residential area, you can't run this type of business. There are plenty of exceptions though and these are caused by grandfather rights, as existing establishments were tolerated in their locations when the laws came into effect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.02.2015, 19:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Malteser has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Quote:
View Post
Some years ago there was a bit of a minor scandal when strip clubs were advertising jobs and the unemployment office was under certain conditions able to force applicants to go to interviews, and it turned out these interviews were in strip clubs. I'm not sure whether this was just incompetence on the part of the unemployment office or whether it is that jobs there were considered like any other job.

To their defence, these weren't actually stripping jobs but jobs at the bar or backstage etc, or even in the accounts department. But in order to maximize the fallout, the newspapers relegated that detail into the smallprint.

The type of entertainemnt you can offer depends on zoning laws. Thus in a residential area, you can't run this type of business. There are plenty of exceptions though and these are caused by grandfather rights, as existing establishments were tolerated in their locations when the laws came into effect.
Thanks for the reply. It is exactly these sort of zoning laws I am looking for. They are proving impossible to find online.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.02.2015, 19:24
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,532
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,660 Times in 5,514 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

That's probably because they go right down to city level which means you'd need to check every large town/city in the country for each different law. And I doubt they'll be online in English or even if they'd be there in the relevant Swiss language either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.02.2015, 21:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Quote:
View Post
< lurks >
Ja ... me too ....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.02.2015, 21:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,141
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,722 Times in 9,478 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss law on brothels and strip clubs

Quote:
View Post
Some years ago there was a bit of a minor scandal when strip clubs were advertising jobs and the unemployment office was under certain conditions able to force applicants to go to interviews, and it turned out these interviews were in strip clubs.
As I recall, that was in D and not in CH.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brothels, law student, strip dance




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How safe are the strip clubs in Zurich ? couch_potato Daily life 106 07.07.2014 20:30
Advice on unemployment benefit and the swiss law nasa2000 Employment 0 29.02.2012 11:19
Strip Clubs In Basel??? sflorida_sweetie2 Daily life 394 22.02.2010 12:56
strip clubs in zurich and luzern ? anshuljn Entertainment & dining 89 09.11.2009 12:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0