Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.05.2015, 21:01
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 126
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MitzEclipse has no particular reputation at present
Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Hi all,

I'd like to buy a good quality (around 26cm) frying pan. Needs to be good quality and non-stick. Where can you buy these?

I've checked Migros and they sell very cheap Migros-branded pans. Coop has a brand called 'Swiss Titan' which I'm not sure how good it is - has a 2 year warranty and is around 50 chf.

I'm thinking Le Creuset or similar. Or maybe a really nice Swiss branded pan? Any suggestions on where to go with the best selection? I've checked Fust, MediaMarkt (they just had Tefal) in sihlcity. Any other recommendations? Maybe something like a John Lewis in the UK?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.05.2015, 21:23
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,759
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to buy a good quality (around 26cm) frying pan. Needs to be good quality and non-stick. Where can you buy these?

I've checked Migros and they sell very cheap Migros-branded pans. Coop has a brand called 'Swiss Titan' which I'm not sure how good it is - has a 2 year warranty and is around 50 chf.

I'm thinking Le Creuset or similar. Or maybe a really nice Swiss branded pan? Any suggestions on where to go with the best selection? I've checked Fust, MediaMarkt (they just had Tefal) in sihlcity. Any other recommendations? Maybe something like a John Lewis in the UK?

Thanks!
Just look for the most expensive one, you'll be happy with it, believe me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.05.2015, 22:40
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 126
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MitzEclipse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

the most expensive doesn't mean the best. I don't like getting ripped off either.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.05.2015, 22:41
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,826
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,359 Times in 6,546 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Recommendations wanted for frying pans!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.05.2015, 23:06
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
the most expensive doesn't mean the best. I don't like getting ripped off either.
You mentioned size 26cm just over 10"

But you did not say what you want to use it for?

There is a different to me, if wanted to cook eggs or to fry a steak or something else by cooking & (b) is there a requirement for a lid, as that will make a difference on price?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.05.2015, 23:23
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 126
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MitzEclipse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
You mentioned size 26cm just over 10"

But you did not say what you want to use it for?

There is a different to me, if wanted to cook eggs or to fry a steak or something else by cooking & (b) is there a requirement for a lid, as that will make a difference on price?
I just need an all purpose frying pan anything from eggs, fish, meat, etc - I want something that is quality so I don't have to keep buying new ones - is there any shop in zurich that has a wide range so I can view them in person?

No requirement for a lid- doesn't even need to be dishwasher safe - happy to hand wash.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.05.2015, 23:59
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,344
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,258 Times in 2,000 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Circulon Infinite. Bought these nearly 7 years ago and have no regrets -- best money I've ever spent on cookware. If it's good enough for MasterChef, it's good enough for me.

http://www.amazon.de/Circulon-Infini...culon+infinite

They even ship to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.05.2015, 01:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 884
Groaned at 19 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 564 Times in 349 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

i like the ones with the "new" ceramic coating
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.05.2015, 10:25
Big Mara's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berner Jura
Posts: 339
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 519 Times in 216 Posts
Big Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond reputeBig Mara has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Take a look here http://www.spring.ch/index.php?PGID=...1&PARENT=2&l=1
We have the Spring Vulcano frying pan.The pans of the Vulcano series have a ceramically reinforced non-stick coating. They are not only non-stick coated, but also heat resistant upto 250°C.
The pans are recoatable, which is also a big plus point.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.08.2015, 23:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

The coating on my trusted Kuhn Rikon died on me, so I need a new pan.
Any suggestions as to where KR are on sale at the moment (mine lasted for about 8 years, 3 more than the 5 warranty, so I'm happy with them), or where one can get another good quality non-stick pan on sale?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09.08.2015, 09:15
RTN RTN is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Uetikon am See
Posts: 1,087
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,126 Times in 512 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
The coating on my trusted Kuhn Rikon died on me, so I need a new pan.
Any suggestions as to where KR are on sale at the moment (mine lasted for about 8 years, 3 more than the 5 warranty, so I'm happy with them), or where one can get another good quality non-stick pan on sale?

Thanks
Alpine outlet village in Landquart. Big sale on outlet prices at the moment especially on clothes .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RTN for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.08.2015, 10:05
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 3,460
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,716 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
The coating on my trusted Kuhn Rikon died on me, so I need a new pan.
Any suggestions as to where KR are on sale at the moment (mine lasted for about 8 years, 3 more than the 5 warranty, so I'm happy with them), or where one can get another good quality non-stick pan on sale?

Thanks
Depending on you location they also have a factory store in the Aubonne Outlet close to Rolle-Morges.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.08.2015, 10:13
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

There is also a KR fabrikverkauf in Rikon, in the Turbenthal. About 10-15 minutes from winterthur
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 09.08.2015, 10:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,829
Groaned at 61 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 834 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Just how good does it need to be? I do a fair amount of cooking from steaks to fish to eggs and everything else.. I really can't think of a time where I said "Oh drat I wish i hadn't bought this 20.- tefal pan"

It goes in the dishwasher, I use whichever utensils i like, i don't care if i damage it and if I do, I'll just buy another one
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 09.08.2015, 10:58
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 765
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 895 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Go to france. Visit a hyper-u or other hyper - marché.
Too many things to choose. In fact we replaced a frying pan recently with a store branded ceramic type. The pan is wonderful and was a mere 30 euros.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ttamasle for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 09.08.2015, 11:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
Go to france. Visit a hyper-u or other hyper - marché.
Too many things to choose. In fact we replaced a frying pan recently with a store branded ceramic type. The pan is wonderful and was a mere 30 euros.
Add to that the cost of public transport - not a possibility for me, unfortunately.

Quote:
View Post
There is also a KR fabrikverkauf in Rikon, in the Turbenthal. About 10-15 minutes from winterthur
Very useful, unfortunately at the moment they don't have the pan I want. But I'll keep checking their website for sure!

Quote:
View Post
Just how good does it need to be? I do a fair amount of cooking from steaks to fish to eggs and everything else.. I really can't think of a time where I said "Oh drat I wish i hadn't bought this 20.- tefal pan"

It goes in the dishwasher, I use whichever utensils i like, i don't care if i damage it and if I do, I'll just buy another one
It needs to be good for everything
I don't want to buy a pan of which I'm not quite certain of the quality because I don't like the idea of producing metal waste - there's enough garbage in this world already so I'd like my pan to work for as long as possible (3+ years at the very least). I am very careful with my pans - no abrasives and only soft sponges/rags to wash them, but I still want it to be very durable.

Last edited by glowjupiter; 09.08.2015 at 11:56.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 09.08.2015, 13:55
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 765
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 895 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
I am very careful with my pans - no abrasives and only soft sponges/rags to wash them, but I still want it to be very durable.
Again...check out ceramic coatings. Surely there is something at shoppi Tivoli that has what you need.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09.08.2015, 14:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: langnau am ablis
Posts: 52
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
its4me has made some interesting contributions
buy a used cast iron from a Bröcki, it will last a lifetime and then some

I just inherited, must be at least 50 years old, cast iron frying pan. I expect, it can still be in use when I die. Think about it, ever see a movie or, if you know the diner, using a grill that was "coated". So, if you can take care of your work tools, I would check out a Bröcki-just be sure the pan's bottom is flat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank its4me for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 09.08.2015, 15:27
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 794
Groaned at 49 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,772 Times in 605 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy a good quality non-stick frying pan and your recommendations please?

Quote:
View Post
Just how good does it need to be? I do a fair amount of cooking from steaks to fish to eggs and everything else.. I really can't think of a time where I said "Oh drat I wish i hadn't bought this 20.- tefal pan" It goes in the dishwasher, I use whichever utensils i like, i don't care if i damage it and if I do, I'll just buy another one
Agreed. I've bought several pans here -- not because the old ones have deteriorated, but because I like to have different shapes and sizes for different uses. All do a perfectly good job, as I'd expect from any company whose business it is to make frying pans! I expect them all to last a few years and if/when they eventually give up the ghost I'll buy another. These are not major buying decisions.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-stick griddle pan, Thomas Rosenthal group, 20 CHF [Basel] BaselPT Items for sale 1 16.05.2014 10:45
For Sale: Non stick Cake Pan Brand new Zurich missy123 Items for sale 8 16.05.2014 08:29
Where to buy a decent non-stick saucepan/cooking set? Richdog Daily life 64 07.03.2013 18:25
Where to buy Marroni Pan Dan of the dead Food and drink 0 02.11.2011 16:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0