Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11.08.2015, 18:34
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 922 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
Locking up your family for the day seems a perfectly restrained reaction after three weeks on holiday with them. I'm sure they have water and toilet paper but possibly no food. Might I suggest ringing the husband at his place of work and ask for his permission to feed them through the window?
I completely agree with HTD, but would strongly advise that you first check there are no Swiss mandated Banned Dog Breeds inside the apartment first, such as a Thai Ridgeback...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 11.08.2015, 19:26
mozjim's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mozambique
Posts: 13
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
mozjim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

so the husband could have well expected her to have a key, and then an honest mistake. also not use to having locks requiring a key on the inside of the door.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12.08.2015, 14:12
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,306
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,912 Times in 4,089 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Well. well. Surprise, surprise.
The posts about locks on doors in Switzerland which cannot be opened from the inside is an interesting subject. However, it wasn’t the original theme of the thread though so we’ll just ignore them.

I expected the Thread to go Off Topic fairly quickly. After a thread reaches a second page, few folk go back and read the opening post through to the end. Here, it seems that not even the writers of very first replies had done so. In fact, I wonder how many even read the title, or noted in which section of the Forum it was posted. It wasn’t a panic post. I didn’t ask for advice. I didn’t imply that I didn’t know what I should do.

Now, I thought the incident with my neighbour amusing enough to put onto EF. (I didn’t expect everyone to think it funny. However, I guessed a couple of others had had similar things happen to them). But while writing the first paragraph (obviously phrased to imply that he might have deliberately locked her in – though that’s not what it said) my head was suddenly filled with a series of typical EF reactions. A few years back, it wouldn’t have entered my head to think first and foremost of calling the police or worrying about insurance. So why now? Unless it is a life threatening situation, my first thought when ‚out of my depth‘ is to rapidly make a mental list of the folk I know (which includes policemen, lawyers, social workers etc.) who will know names and phone numbers of the right authorities, be able to tell me the right correct course to take, help me out of the mess.
I shall certainly not ACT differently now but I wondered whether others also have this ‚What would EFers say to this?‘ ‚How would EFers react?‘ when they experience things in real life.

Almost Off-Topic:
It’s a sobering thought though that someone young and impressionable, new to Switzerland and not fluent in the language, might actually take some of the advice on here, given by folk who didn’t even read what was written. And please don’t try to tell me that
Quote:
I could take the wife’s key, which I have had for the past three weeks… the husband, who will surely be in big trouble for forgetting that I had the second key and not his wife, when he cheerfully locked the door this morning.
is ambiguous.
__________________
Longbyt

Last edited by Longbyt; 12.08.2015 at 14:25. Reason: sorting out paragraph spacing!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 12.08.2015, 14:46
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
The french are indeed completely the opposite. Have you read the story about the French couple who died after being overcome with the desert heat while hiking in New Mexico? They sacrificed to save the life of their 9 year old son by giving him the bulk of their water supply.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/worl...cle2967130.ece
Well, one liter for three people, rather than the recommended 4l/pp, is hardly a water supply.

Also, the heat mentioned was roughly the same as it's been here these past weeks.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 12.08.2015, 14:51
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,783
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,380 Times in 6,645 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

This all came about because it is too expensive to get keys copied in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 12.08.2015, 15:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,167
Groaned at 519 Times in 398 Posts
Thanked 11,920 Times in 4,665 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
Well. well. Surprise, surprise.
The posts about locks on doors in Switzerland which cannot be opened from the inside is an interesting subject. However, it wasn’t the original theme of the thread though so we’ll just ignore them.

I expected the Thread to go Off Topic fairly quickly. After a thread reaches a second page, few folk go back and read the opening post through to the end. Here, it seems that not even the writers of very first replies had done so. In fact, I wonder how many even read the title, or noted in which section of the Forum it was posted. It wasn’t a panic post. I didn’t ask for advice. I didn’t imply that I didn’t know what I should do.

Now, I thought the incident with my neighbour amusing enough to put onto EF. (I didn’t expect everyone to think it funny. However, I guessed a couple of others had had similar things happen to them). But while writing the first paragraph (obviously phrased to imply that he might have deliberately locked her in – though that’s not what it said) my head was suddenly filled with a series of typical EF reactions. A few years back, it wouldn’t have entered my head to think first and foremost of calling the police or worrying about insurance. So why now? Unless it is a life threatening situation, my first thought when ‚out of my depth‘ is to rapidly make a mental list of the folk I know (which includes policemen, lawyers, social workers etc.) who will know names and phone numbers of the right authorities, be able to tell me the right correct course to take, help me out of the mess.
I shall certainly not ACT differently now but I wondered whether others also have this ‚What would EFers say to this?‘ ‚How would EFers react?‘ when they experience things in real life.

Almost Off-Topic:
It’s a sobering thought though that someone young and impressionable, new to Switzerland and not fluent in the language, might actually take some of the advice on here, given by folk who didn’t even read what was written. And please don’t try to tell me that is ambiguous.
Actually it was ambiguous, and wasn't obvious from the first read that he hadn't done it on purpose, especially when you started with the ethnic references and how "they come from a place where different cultural ideas prevail", which really made it sound like he had locked them in for a reason, but then forgot that you had a spare key with which to get them out again. So sadly, I am afraid you are going to have to put it partly down to your poor articulation of the situation.

Quote:
View Post
Well, one liter for three people, rather than the recommended 4l/pp, is hardly a water supply.

Also, the heat mentioned was roughly the same as it's been here these past weeks.

Tom
While it is a very sad story and the kid has my sympathies, the parents through their own sheer lack of thought and preparation have made their son an orphan. Keeping him alive was pretty much the very least they could do.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12.08.2015, 15:12
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,306
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,912 Times in 4,089 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

The ethnic differences bit was simply to demonstrate how swayed we are by irrelevant details.
Quote:
...we could all live happily ever after - except the husband, who will surely be in big trouble for forgetting that I had the second key and not his wife, when he cheerfully locked the door this morning."
So he forgot that his wife didn't have her key!

Maybe we didn't understand each other as your mother tongue is Engrish whereas mine is English.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 12.08.2015, 15:59
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,195
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,208 Times in 4,909 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
Actually it was ambiguous, and wasn't obvious from the first read that he hadn't done it on purpose, especially when you started with the ethnic references and how "they come from a place where different cultural ideas prevail", which really made it sound like he had locked them in for a reason, but then forgot that you had a spare key with which to get them out again. So sadly, I am afraid you are going to have to put it partly down to your poor articulation of the situation.

.
It wasn't at all ambiguous to me and it was pretty obvious once you'd read to the end and seen the key bit that the 'ethnic' reference was made deliberately to throw people.

A classic case of people making comments and judgements without reading things properly first, especially when post are long.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 12.08.2015, 16:19
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 20 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 6,093 Times in 1,907 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

This was a very interesting experiment Longy, even if the results were a bit predictable.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 12.08.2015, 17:00
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,160
Groaned at 26 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 895 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

OP - I am assuming that my response, the first one of the bunch, was not what you were expecting and led the way for the downward spiral.

I actually did read the entirety of your first post, and I do now see the hints that you placed in your text indicating that it was tongue-in-cheek. I will admit that I did not look at the area in which the thread was placed, however I am not sure that I would have responded differently to the thread being placed in the "Daily Life" section rather than "Family Matters" anyway.

Given the nature of the "problem" -- mom and kids locked up in house -- I suppose my first instinct was to try to provide quick practical advice in the situation that you described (in this case, asking the question of whether it could have been unintentional) rather than spend time debating if you might be joking.

Sincere apologies if this sent your thread in the wrong direction or somehow undermined your confidence in EF as a resource for the young and newly-Swissed who are not fluent in English. I really do think that everyone who initially responded to the "problem" was trying to provide help (despite the fact that you did not specifically solicit it), albeit with some perhaps faulty assumptions and occasionally with a dose of snarky self-righteousness.

Apologies as well for my 'merican lack of ability to discern British nuance/wit/sarcasm, to which you alluded when you begged for a Brit to respond. What I won't apologize for, though, is legitimately trying to help when I thought someone needed it, however ignorant and/or misguided that attempt may be seen by some.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Textoch for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 12.08.2015, 17:30
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,306
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,912 Times in 4,089 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

@Textoch - I see your point and understand what you were trying to do and why. The title of the thread and the hint in the last sentence, that the husband had forgotten..should have given it all away.

I much appreciate you coming back on to explain though. With these excellent PR skills, smoothing my ruffled feathers, you'll go far.
Ah, of course, you've already gone far. You are back in Texas!

PS. I love your Avatar. Do you, too, give swimming training? I've given up now but did for many years (which is why I now have policemen and lawyers among my acquaintances. Swimmers have to be sticklers for rules and it never quite wears off.)
__________________
Longbyt

Last edited by Longbyt; 12.08.2015 at 18:10.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 12.08.2015, 19:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 55
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Oblio has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
Common sense mode obviously.
Anything else would be a complete over the top typical EF overreaction.

It seems to me that he is just doing exactly what he does everyday when he goes off to work in the mornings ie. Locking the door behind him. It's probably completely slipped his mind that the spare key his wife normally uses was given to you before their holiday.
indeed, common sense should prevail - though is not that common...

also it's clear that The Wife knew that HER key (rather than the spare key ) was with OP...

Loved the OP categories, indeed EF humour at it's best in so many ways gave me a right ol'giggle till I read some of the other post, oh dear... clearly proving the point in the title, don't get disheartened, Longbyt - you may be "locked in" but you're not alone :-)

Last edited by Oblio; 12.08.2015 at 19:35. Reason: complete idea
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12.08.2015, 20:13
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,349
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,501 Times in 12,071 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
Actually it was ambiguous, and wasn't obvious from the first read that he hadn't done it on purpose, especially when you started with the ethnic references and how "they come from a place where different cultural ideas prevail", which really made it sound like he had locked them in for a reason, but then forgot that you had a spare key with which to get them out again. So sadly, I am afraid you are going to have to put it partly down to your poor articulation of the situation.
Sorry, Richdog, but any native speaker of English who read the title and then proceeded to read the OP with their eyes open and brain engaged could not possibly consider the post to be ambiguous.

I despair for this forum sometimes, I really do.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 12.08.2015, 22:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,100
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,059 Times in 3,274 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

Quote:
View Post
maybe we didn't understand each other as your mother tongue is angrysh whereas mine is english.
ftfy

Last edited by greenmount; 12.08.2015 at 22:51.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 13.08.2015, 09:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,828
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,373 Times in 2,000 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does being on EF influence our reactions?

I assumed that by mentioning the ethnic background of the neighbours in the first sentence of the OP, you were trying out for a job as press officer for the SVP.

Last edited by nickatbasel; 13.08.2015 at 09:17.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long does it take to sell a car on EF? vvd Transportation/driving 21 12.01.2015 22:16
Strawberries rash reactions on kids Nil Family matters/health 13 07.04.2014 02:43
Why does everyone feel obligated to Judge everyone on EF? The Real Stig General off-topic 139 21.03.2011 12:17
2011: SVP influence on Elections in Switzerland MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 15 14.02.2011 23:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0