Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03.09.2015, 14:11
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
I'm sure just as many have also failed.
True, but if you don't at least try and/or take a risk or two, you're not going to get very far in life.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 03.09.2015, 23:47
the_flag_is_a_big_plus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 112
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 51 Posts
the_flag_is_a_big_plus has earned some respectthe_flag_is_a_big_plus has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
True, but if you don't at least try and/or take a risk or two, you're not going to get very far in life.
There's measured risk taking. And then there's outright recklessness.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03.09.2015, 23:53
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 722
Groaned at 124 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 271 Posts
Troublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

I completely disagree against moving here without a job. You can easily get financially ruined and add extra stress in your life.

Plus this is the worst time of the year to move for job hunting. Do it from your own country and land a few interviews first, see if you are actually in demand here for your field.

Switzerland is too expensive for experiments.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04.09.2015, 09:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
There's measured risk taking. And then there's outright recklessness.
There's also 'following your dream'.

In my case and I am sure in many others, the risk most certainly paid off. With the resident population now around one quarter and still growing, it shows it too, - Switzerland has always been a country that has absorbed foreign nationals and with a higher quality of life than other countries it will continue to be, unless it closes the borders completely!

In any case, the vast majority of foreigners come here without a job already lined up! Most stay and make Switzerland their home.

Quote:
View Post
I completely disagree against moving here without a job. You can easily get financially ruined and add extra stress in your life.
Switzerland is too expensive for experiments.
But if you have enough money to come and give it a try, surely you need to find out if it works for you, or better still come here and simply make it work for you. Why extra stress? If someone is coming here, presumably it is for a better quality of life that one is experiencing in home/previous country! That ought to mean less stress!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 04.09.2015, 09:58
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berlin, Deutschland
Posts: 608
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 507 Times in 292 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

I would advise anybody from EU/EAA countries who wants to go job-hunting in Switzerland to not register before finding a job.
You can always sub-rent an apartment or a room in a shared flat.
Hopefully you still have your health insurance from back home, to cover you for emergencies.

PS. This means you must be ready to work as unskilled worker, e.g. at a Super-marker or a cafe. You should easily land such a job within a few weeks. Then you can register and keep job-hunting for something better.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04.09.2015, 10:02
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,761
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

You need a lot of money and patience.

If you happen to have a trade or profession that is unique and required ypou should be ok, but it all takes time.

If however you are like the 99.9% of us with a normal trade/profession i think you'll find itr difficult. The economic siutuation is not good, a lot of layoffs and job losses, you have no Swiss references, no real language skills so there are a lot of people in front of you, hell of a lot.

One other thing to tke into consideration, Switzelrand is realtively incestuous and jobs often go to friends and family before they are even advertised....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 04.09.2015, 10:32
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,308
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,914 Times in 4,090 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post

Switzelrand is realtively incestuous and jobs often go to friends and family before they are even advertised....
Oh, dear me. I think you perhaps mean there is a lot of nepotism about. Incestuous is something quite different. Not at all a fit subject for elderly ladies.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 04.09.2015, 10:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,927 Times in 5,234 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
The economic siutuation is not good, a lot of layoffs and job losses,
This is something you need to understand; die fetten Jahre sind vorbei.

Two sectors that brought many of us here in days gone by - finance and IT - are now shedding jobs.

IT is becomming too expensive. While unique skills are still in demand, much of the work is being offshored to eastern Europe, Asia, and (what goes around comes around) the US. As IT becomes a commodity few MNCs can justify Swiss IT wages to their boards and shareholders anymore. There is some IT growth in domestic companies who do not have access to global wages differences - but there, see Today Only's comment about insider hiring.

Ditto the finance sector - with the economic crisis, the fall-out from the inroads against banking secrecy, etc. the sector is changing and shrinking. If you are bringing assets and clients with you that is one thing. If starting out quite another.

Competition is fierce - don't underestimate this.

If you come over to try your luck make sure that you have significant money to fund your trial - and have a Plan B sketched out just in case it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04.09.2015, 11:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

It may well be that it will be easier to hire new people on salaries significantly lower than 120k. The CHF has risen, for CHF to stay competitive salaries must fall.

Quote:
View Post
This is something you need to understand; die fetten Jahre sind vorbei.

Two sectors that brought many of us here in days gone by - finance and IT - are now shedding jobs.

IT is becomming too expensive. While unique skills are still in demand, much of the work is being offshored to eastern Europe, Asia, and (what goes around comes around) the US. As IT becomes a commodity few MNCs can justify Swiss IT wages to their boards and shareholders anymore. There is some IT growth in domestic companies who do not have access to global wages differences - but there, see Today Only's comment about insider hiring.

Ditto the finance sector - with the economic crisis, the fall-out from the inroads against banking secrecy, etc. the sector is changing and shrinking. If you are bringing assets and clients with you that is one thing. If starting out quite another.

Competition is fierce - don't underestimate this.

If you come over to try your luck make sure that you have significant money to fund your trial - and have a Plan B sketched out just in case it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 04.09.2015, 11:23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
It may well be that it will be easier to hire new people on salaries significantly lower than 120k. The CHF has risen, for CHF to stay competitive salaries must fall.
Yet others are saying that salaries should rise, for one just to cover the increasing cost of compulsory health insurance premiums and bills!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 04.09.2015, 11:35
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,761
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
Oh, dear me. I think you perhaps mean there is a lot of nepotism about. Incestuous is something quite different. Not at all a fit subject for elderly ladies.
Certainly one or the other if not both !
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04.09.2015, 12:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,927 Times in 5,234 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
It may well be that it will be easier to hire new people on salaries significantly lower than 120k. The CHF has risen, for CHF to stay competitive salaries must fall.
Quite true, salaries are falling in some sectors - and not only those where the strength of the CHF is at play.

Swiss salaries at the lower end have been higher than those elsewhere, while at the top end salaries tend to be similar or often lower. Companies can afford to keep top jobs in Switzerland - but at the entry to middle level is is becoming difficult to justify the expense for a company active in a global market.

It will take awhile for Swiss expectations to adjust - but those moving to Switzerland to try their luck should be aware that salary data more than a year old may no longer be relevant.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 04.09.2015, 14:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 503
Groaned at 26 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 172 Posts
saiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of many
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
possible?
yes
difficult?
extremely.

i have done it...and it took me about a month to settle in (figure out public transport, get my l permit, get internet in a small apartment etc)
for the job search, took me 2.5 weeks...however i was extremely lucky. my rough budget was about 3 months of job searching and if nothing comes of it go to UK and get a job there (EU passport).
rough budget is about 1000CHF per month to live on, plus give or take 1500CHF for apartment plus say 500CHF for incidental expenses (internet, going out, gym etc).

Zurich is the job market central.

Good luck, and remember not to give up...there are people out there that have been job hunting for years and still dont have anything definite on the table.
whoa those are some crazy numbers. i am from eu, but from EU-10, so really hard to get work permit (it got easier since 2010, then back to queues if not mistaken).
what I did - I am a software developer - after quitting & putting flat with mortgage to rent, and backpacking in india for 3 months, I came back, took my notebook and suit, jumped on bus and one glorious saturday morning ended up in Zurich (i know german -+ OK and it's the biggest IT market here). No accomodation, no jobs offered (try that when wandering around indian himalaya with no cell phone signal at all )

First challenge - find a place to sleep that night. Used some uni hostel that offered few nights for non-students during summer. while there, I focused purely on looking for flat share. In 4 nights, ended up with +- nice Indian lady (what a coincidence) for... 650 chf? not so sure. Only after that, and buying Swiss sim card I started job hunt. Total expenses per month - roughly 1100 chf (when you do backpacking for few months, you can live humble life and find plenty of joy in free activities - sporting in zuirchberg/uetliberg for example).

After roughly 800-100 applications here & there, hearing no often once they heard my country of origin, I managed couple of interviews and ended up with 2 offers in parallel - one perm near zurich for company making banking packages, and other consulting in some unknown french speaking part. Took the one giving more money, never looked back and super happy about it.

When looking back, one of the best experiences & decisions I did in my life, especially in the face of all naysayers left and right. Not sure about job market today, but people were shouting doom & gloom about it on this forum even before I came
Just be sure you have something valuable to offer, languages are a massive plus. And be prepared, mentally and financially, to fail, completely and utterly. at least this worked for me
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saiya-jin for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 04.09.2015, 18:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
I would advise anybody from EU/EAA countries who wants to go job-hunting in Switzerland to not register before finding a job.
You can always sub-rent an apartment or a room in a shared flat.
Hopefully you still have your health insurance from back home, to cover you for emergencies.

PS. This means you must be ready to work as unskilled worker, e.g. at a Super-marker or a cafe. You should easily land such a job within a few weeks. Then you can register and keep job-hunting for something better.
Good advice.
Most don't register until after being here a while in any case. Because as soon as you do register (as a jobseeker), your time starts ticking away on how long you can actually legally stay as a registered resident! Meaning extra pressure - something you don't want. It actually makes sense to only register after some time.

Emergency treatment will not be refused based upon whether you're a registered resident here or not. Unregistered EU/EFTA immigrants in Switzerland will be treated as tourists (even if they are not tourists) and thus should be covered for emergency treatment by their home countries' health systems, i.e. Switzerland will bill the health system of the home country / the country where the foreigner habitually and legally resides. In most cases they will in any case be holders of the European Health card.

Last edited by plumtree; 04.09.2015 at 19:45. Reason: minor
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
This user groans at plumtree for this post:
  #35  
Old 04.09.2015, 19:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 402
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 179 Posts
Sublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
Good advice.
Most don't register until after being here a while in any case. Because as soon as you do register (as a jobseeker), your time starts ticking away on how long you can actually legally stay as a registered resident! Meaning extra pressure - something you don't want. It actually makes sense to only register after some time.

Emergency treatment will not be refused based upon whether you're a registered resident here or not. Unregistered EU/EFTA immigrants in Switzerland will be treated as tourists (even if they are not tourists) and thus should be covered for emergency treatment by their home countries' health system, i.e. Switzerland will bill the health system of the home country / the country where the foreigner habitually and legally resides. In most cases they will in any case be holders of the European Health card.
But you will pay for it from your own purse, if you are not registered and do not have a comparable insurance available (as a tourist).

Last edited by Sublime; 04.09.2015 at 19:19. Reason: wrong read
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04.09.2015, 19:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Moving to Switzerland without a job?

Quote:
View Post
But you will pay for it from your own purse, if you are not registered and do not have a comparable insurance available (as a tourist).
Yes but that's the point, you will not!

Unregistered foreign nationals in Switzerland (from EU/EFTA at least) will be, for emergency treatment, accepted and treated as tourists / non-residents. In the vast majority of cases the costs are going to be paid by the other countries' health systems!

If the individual doesn't have any insurance and doesn't even hold the European Health card, maybe in that case he or she will be billed directly and accordingly, but those cases are going to be few and far between!

Last edited by plumtree; 04.09.2015 at 19:58. Reason: minor
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arriving in Switzerland without a job - health insurance 24lw Insurance 5 09.12.2012 22:58
Job Search..? [Hard to find a job without local language skills] snookr Employment 4 23.10.2012 20:42
How difficult is it to get a Job in Switzerland without knowing French or German? prasun2005 Employment 5 01.10.2012 23:58
Moving to Switzerland, need a job. Lidia Employment 2 06.11.2011 22:16
Coming to Switzerland without job and living permit. How ? svetlana.guljajeva Employment 19 16.09.2011 23:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0