Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20.09.2015, 22:33
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 1,519
Groaned at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 852 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
Dear All

I started to write my first book.

I am looking for a place (or better an environment) to write my book. If any one is working on a book and would like to share his/her experience and suggestion, would be great.

PS: I am from Bern and would move easily to any place around 1 hours travel time.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks.

In my PJs. Long hand. Then redraft on the laptop, preferably whilst listening to some excellent music.


Good luck! Enjoy the process.

Last edited by RufusB; 20.09.2015 at 22:34. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 21.09.2015, 08:50
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,789 Times in 2,131 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
In my PJs. Long hand. Then redraft on the laptop, preferably whilst listening to some excellent music.


Good luck! Enjoy the process.
Sounds a good way, just don't forget the wine, not too sure about longhand first, why not go directly to the Laptop?
I convert that what I have written to a audio format and upload it to the iPod, that way you hear any mistakes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21.09.2015, 09:05
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,988
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,270 Times in 5,015 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
...
I partially agree with you that I am trying to delay the things.. I need a strong motivation to stick to writing.. ...
You can get software that will help. If you pause for too long it does various things to get you moving again. Up to starting to delete what you've written so far...

Quote:
View Post
The first Harry Potter book was written in a café.
And apparently edited in a pub, around closing time. (In my view the HP series would have enormously benefited from decent editing - since it wasn't, in twenty years time it will be forgotten).

Quote:
View Post
Are there any self-published authors around in this forum?
Yes - e.g. I've just published my first novel!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 21.09.2015, 09:52
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,789 Times in 2,131 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
You can get software that will help. If you pause for too long it does various things to get you moving again. Up to starting to delete what you've written so far...

And apparently edited in a pub, around closing time. (In my view the HP series would have enormously benefited from decent editing - since it wasn't, in twenty years time it will be forgotten).

Yes - e.g. I've just published my first novel!
Nice one, did you get any sales from EFers?, gonna have to try that for mine.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21.09.2015, 10:01
lorena1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 644
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 563 Times in 313 Posts
lorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

It was a member named Vlh22 who self published. (Not NotAllThere)
Her/His book sounds intriguing.

Quote:
View Post
Nice one, did you get any sales from EFers?, gonna have to try that for mine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lorena1 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 21.09.2015, 11:02
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 1,519
Groaned at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 852 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
Sounds a good way, just don't forget the wine, not too sure about longhand first, why not go directly to the Laptop?
I convert that what I have written to a audio format and upload it to the iPod, that way you hear any mistakes.
I like writing by hand, preferably in a nice sharp pencil or a really comfy black ink. There's something very satisfying about it. I do go straight to laptop when I have the chance. I have a toddler so longhand is actually easier. She can't hit delete on a notepad!
Wine is a great addition, but not always conducive to a clear head...

R
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 21.09.2015, 12:01
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
I like writing by hand, preferably in a nice sharp pencil or a really comfy black ink. There's something very satisfying about it. I do go straight to laptop when I have the chance. I have a toddler so longhand is actually easier. She can't hit delete on a notepad!
Wine is a great addition, but not always conducive to a clear head...

R
I like it better, too. I think it is because of a lengthy but quality process of editing while rewriting. Having things in hard copy in front of my eyes works better with visualising, ordering ideas, argumentation, illustrative examples, maybe it is different in research writing than fiction...there's great software these days for exacly this, too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 21.09.2015, 12:08
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,988
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,270 Times in 5,015 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
It was a member named Vlh22 who self published. (Not NotAllThere)
Her/His book sounds intriguing.
I bought it for my Kindle. It's quite good. Some EF topics get a mention.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21.09.2015, 18:54
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 1,519
Groaned at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 852 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
I like it better, too. I think it is because of a lengthy but quality process of editing while rewriting. Having things in hard copy in front of my eyes works better with visualising, ordering ideas, argumentation, illustrative examples, maybe it is different in research writing than fiction...there's great software these days for exacly this, too.


I agree with you there. Editing is easier on screen though.


I don't think research writing and fiction are so dissimilar... both have to have a purpose, both need (to retain) an audience. I wrote my theses long hand in parts too. The first one mainly because it was 17 years ago and I didn't have a PC...


I think a great example of someone having success with self-publishing (as in they then got a "physical" publishing deal) is a British author named Jodi Taylor. Most of her stuff is on Kindle books (and I assume Smashwords) , but a lot is now available in they kind you can put on your shelf.


(Disclaimer: I don't know her, I've not been asked to recommend her. I've merely read all her books to date.)


Apologies for veering slightly off track, and for anything else I may have posted here that inadvertently broke EF rules.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21.09.2015, 19:08
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
I agree with you there. Editing is easier on screen though.


I don't think research writing and fiction are so dissimilar... both have to have a purpose, both need (to retain) an audience. I wrote my theses long hand in parts too. The first one mainly because it was 17 years ago and I didn't have a PC...


I think a great example of someone having success with self-publishing (as in they then got a "physical" publishing deal) is a British author named Jodi Taylor. Most of her stuff is on Kindle books (and I assume Smashwords) , but a lot is now available in they kind you can put on your shelf.


(Disclaimer: I don't know her, I've not been asked to recommend her. I've merely read all her books to date.)


Apologies for veering slightly off track, and for anything else I may have posted here that inadvertently broke EF rules.
Don't sweat the slight sidetrack, we are not so officious here.

I do think writing in hand works differently with mental processes and creation, imagination, the work between idea being born and forming it into words. I think hand writing and all the organisation that precedes before logging it into a digital format, for some people, the time it needs, etc. in some instances yields better results, than relying heavily on technology... I remember debating with one older doctor who was frustrated with digital systems and databases he had to use, missed his old times he handwritten his thesis, we concluded that automated moves that a machine does for some of us actually petrify our brains and thinking skills. I block at a screen much easier than over a pen and paper, since I can see the development of thoughts on a paper, map it.

As per productivity, technology can be great, esp for editing, you are so right.

Plus there is a boost system in terms of place, environment and support writer groups OP might find handy. Time management techniques.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H.Pestalozzi
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 21.09.2015, 19:18
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 1,519
Groaned at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 852 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

There's never enough time!


Can I ask what you mean by software to help? (You mentioned it in a previous post and I forgot to ask then...) Am intrigued...


I understand your colleague.


In my old life I used to do a lot of work on bespoke systems that needed doing there and then, and as quickly as possible. But the thinking time was lost.


It's like when people send emails (or perhaps post on forums!) when angry etc without thinking it through. I had a manager who always said never send anything when cross. Write it if you have to, but then sit on it and view it with a clearer head another day.


The distance between the paper and the screen enables us to have more clarity I think. It makes us read our words with some objectivity. Then, of course, we end up deleting/not writing a lot of it because it's nonsensical tosh. Alternatively we can also be left with some cracking phrases that leave us wondering what on Earth we can do with them! Again, in my experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 21.09.2015, 19:36
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
There's never enough time!


Can I ask what you mean by software to help? (You mentioned it in a previous post and I forgot to ask then...) Am intrigued...


I understand your colleague.


In my old life I used to do a lot of work on bespoke systems that needed doing there and then, and as quickly as possible. But the thinking time was lost.


It's like when people send emails (or perhaps post on forums!) when angry etc without thinking it through. I had a manager who always said never send anything when cross. Write it if you have to, but then sit on it and view it with a clearer head another day.


The distance between the paper and the screen enables us to have more clarity I think. It makes us read our words with some objectivity. Then, of course, we end up deleting/not writing a lot of it because it's nonsensical tosh. Alternatively we can also be left with some cracking phrases that leave us wondering what on Earth we can do with them! Again, in my experience.
I am getting familiar with Scrivener at this moment. My virtual study group fellows were raving about it too much. Can't be a dino.

Verbal diarrhea is a lot easier with typing, true that. I always edit a different day. It is tedious, though, mind numbing, esp cleaning up technical passages. Dry.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21.09.2015, 19:43
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 1,519
Groaned at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,991 Times in 852 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Rufus is off to Google "Scrivener" software with a view to plugging knowledge gap...

Last edited by RufusB; 21.09.2015 at 20:09. Reason: To say "OOOH" about Scrivener...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 21.09.2015, 20:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,789 Times in 2,131 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Place and Environment for writing a Book

Quote:
View Post
I am getting familiar with Scrivener at this moment. My virtual study group fellows were raving about it too much. Can't be a dino.

Verbal diarrhea is a lot easier with typing, true that. I always edit a different day. It is tedious, though, mind numbing, esp cleaning up technical passages. Dry.
Scrivener seems to be a weapon of choice for a lot of people, I use MS Word and that works just as well, I did try Indesign but Kindle went haywire as soon as I tried to upload.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
book advice, book club basel, book group




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basel Stadt Environment and Energy bonus? adrianlondon Daily life 8 04.04.2014 17:34
Nicest Work Environment and Cafeterias LondonBob Employment 2 13.06.2012 09:32
Writing a book Writer's block Introductions 3 05.08.2011 16:02
green-friendly (and im not talking environment) PunkyBroster Daily life 3 06.01.2011 20:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0