Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MichaelSweden has no particular reputation at present
What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Hi!

I have been starting thinking about moving to Switzerland. Simply because it seems awesome. A extremly fascinating, decentralized, democratic society.

But hearing about your harsh immigration laws for EU nationals, I'm thinking I'm probably not very wanted for the moment?

What is the general honsest opinion about EU immigrants, especially from Sweden? Would I be better off forgetting about trying to become a Swiss citizen?

I haven't exactly thinking about this for years or even months, but only a few weeks. So what do you think about us, generally? Are there many anti immigration movements?

What are the Swedish stereotypes like? What do you think when you hear somebody is a swede?

I don't speak either french, italian or german but if I would decide to move to Switzerland I will first learn one major language. But there isn't much point in doing that if I couldn't live a good life among you guys, so that's why I amasking.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,584 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
What do you think when you hear somebody is a swede?
That they are a yellow turnip.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MichaelSweden has no particular reputation at present
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
That they are a yellow turnip.

Tom
Haha, what? What is that supposed to mean? Thank you for your reply
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:57
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,446
Groaned at 96 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,766 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

That there is gonna be more rutabaga
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,355
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,366 Times in 10,062 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Hi, there are very few Swedes in Switzerland- and therefore the Swiss will generally make you welcome. As in everywhere around the world, tensions tend to appear when large groups appear all at once. Learning some German, French or Italian- as it really helps - and having skills which are in short supply is also really helpful. What do you do what have you got to offer?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:05
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
Haha, what? What is that supposed to mean? Thank you for your reply
I guess this
Attached Thumbnails
what-general-swiss-views-upon-eu-immigrants-swedes-rx-dk-vgn12805_rutabaga-brora_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank vuachère for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:11
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,959
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,565 Times in 5,405 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

10 or 15 years ago a Swiss / EU employee could resign his job & take a 6 month holiday. On his return his job would still be unfilled and the employee got his job back.

Since the financial crisis and high unemployment in much of Europe, many EU engineers and specialists have emigrated here, and filled all the vacancies. There are now too many migrants chasing too few jobs, and the higher standard of living is under pressure, with many people whilst not hungry, cannot now afford a second holiday each year.

If you look at the unemployment figures they do not tell the complete story. After 2 years of unemployment you are no longer unemployed, you are unemployable and put onto the social security support. There are many fine workers over the age of 50 years that cannot get a job here. The employers would have to pay an extra 7% into the older employee's pension funds, and instead of this pitiful extra charge, they prefer to dismiss them, and to employ young employees, even from outside Switzerland. More migrants moving to employment in Geneva and Zurich have resulted in very high rentals for apartments in these cities.

So yes there is resentment against migrants. In theory employers have to prove the job vacancy cannot be filled from people already here, but this seems to be easily avoided.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,101
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,059 Times in 3,274 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
What are the Swedish stereotypes like? What do you think when you hear somebody is a swede?
.
I think he might be related with Ingrid Bergman.
Oh, and still listens to ABBA....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:13
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,959
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,565 Times in 5,405 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Those vegetables shown are turnips, swedes are bigger and yellow/green in color.



A swede is a vegetable, a Swede is a citizen of Sweden.

And please ...... don't use the word Swiss as a noun, it is always an adjective.... there are Swiss towns, but no towns called Swiss. OK?
.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MichaelSweden has no particular reputation at present
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
Hi, there are very few Swedes in Switzerland- and therefore the Swiss will generally make you welcome. As in everywhere around the world, tensions tend to appear when large groups appear all at once. Learning some German, French or Italian- as it really helps - and having skills which are in short supply is also really helpful. What do you do what have you got to offer?
Great answer, thanks.

Well, I offer myself. One for all, all for one (yeah, I learned your motto!)

I am a very knowleage-thirsty and a skilled programmer and system developer. I have devoted and understandng personality, so I don't think I would have a hard time to adapt. And like most swedes, I would call myself pretty humble.

I am 26, so I have money but havent managed to become rich yet if the economy is a important factor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:17
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
Those are turnips, swedes are bigger and yellow/green in color.
Here we go: http://www.gardeninginfozone.com/gro...es-and-turnips

Supposed to be a Purple Top Improved Swede
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank vuachère for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,472
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

At the moment EU citizens have free movement so if you want to take the leap do it sooner rather than later. The Swiss hope to have something in place by February 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MichaelSweden has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
10 or 15 years ago a Swiss / EU employee could resign his job & take a 6 month holiday. On his return his job would still be unfilled and the employee got his job back.

Since the financial crisis and high unemployment in much of Europe, many EU engineers and specialists have emigrated here, and filled all the vacancies. There are now too many migrants chasing too few jobs, and the higher standard of living is under pressure, with many people whilst not hungry, cannot now afford a second holiday each year.

If you look at the unemployment figures they do not tell the complete story. After 2 years of unemployment you are no longer unemployed, you are unemployable and put onto the social security support. There are many fine workers over the age of 50 years that cannot get a job here. The employers would have to pay an extra 7% into the older employee's pension funds, and instead of this pitiful extra charge, they prefer to dismiss them, and to employ young employees, even from outside Switzerland. More migrants moving to employment in Geneva and Zurich have resulted in very high rentals for apartments in these cities.

So yes there is resentment against migrants. In theory employers have to prove the job vacancy cannot be filled from people already here, but this seems to be easily avoided.
Your honesty is very appreciated.

That seem to be a pretty universal argument among all countries of the world. Even though I don't believe in it myself, I understand it. But I do think I would not only take jobs, I would also generate jobs. If that is a common opinion though I think I would be better of here.

Quote:
View Post
Those vegetables shown are turnips, swedes are bigger and yellow/green in color.



A swede is a vegetable, a Swede is a citizen of Sweden.

And please ...... don't use the word Swiss as a noun, it is always an adjective.... there are Swiss towns, but no towns called Swiss. OK?
.
Got it.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.12.2015 at 20:35. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MichaelSweden for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:47
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,959
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,565 Times in 5,405 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

My German friend comes from Bavaria and was unemployed for two years there, before moving here to a well paid IT job with the Swiss government. Just like me, he began working in computers in 1970, and despite long experience in the industry, and excellent skills in the German language, he couldn't find a job there, (and I couldn't find a job here for 3 years). We are both very experienced old men, on the scrap heap at 55 or 60 years old...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:55
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,969
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,201 Times in 2,901 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
My German friend comes from Bavaria and was unemployed for two years there, before moving here to a well paid IT job with the Swiss government. Just like me, he began working in computers in 1970, and despite long experience in the industry, and excellent skills in the German language, he couldn't find a job there, (and I couldn't find a job here for 3 years). We are both very experienced old men, on the scrap heap at 55 or 60 years old...


Yep... "Are you qualified on Windows Server 2016?" "No, but since assembler it would be about the 30th Operating system I would learn it usually takes me about 3 weeks." "Oh, we are looking for qualified people" sigh... "Why don't you just tell me I am too old to my face?"
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 04.12.2015, 21:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Switzerland? Oh, then, don't they all speak Swedish?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04.12.2015, 21:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MichaelSweden has no particular reputation at present
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
My German friend comes from Bavaria and was unemployed for two years there, before moving here to a well paid IT job with the Swiss government. Just like me, he began working in computers in 1970, and despite long experience in the industry, and excellent skills in the German language, he couldn't find a job there, (and I couldn't find a job here for 3 years). We are both very experienced old men, on the scrap heap at 55 or 60 years old...
If it's any kind of "relief", I can assure you that applies in any part of the world within that sector. Unfortunatly. My dad has the same problem, and it hurts to watch.

I don't think it got much to do with immigration though. It's a stereotype. A shallow mentality that age and tech can't mix. But oh, how wrong they are. , even myself at the age of 26 is starting to get affected by this.

Anyways, I hope both of you guys have it solved by now and you have prooved the stereotype to be wrong.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MichaelSweden for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 04.12.2015, 21:20
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 2,827
Groaned at 155 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
Yep... "Are you qualified on Windows Server 2016?" "No, but since assembler it would be about the 30th Operating system I would learn it usually takes me about 3 weeks." "Oh, we are looking for qualified people" sigh... "Why don't you just tell me I am too old to my face?"
I start to see the problem, since assembler isn't an operating system!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 04.12.2015, 21:29
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,446
Groaned at 96 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,766 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
I start to see the problem, since assembler isn't an operating system!
Assembler or (Assembly language) is a low level programming language used in very first operating systems known as DOS. The language itself, although outdated and replaced by high level modern programming languages, it is still used in some critical software applications e.g. DSPs or embedded systems
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 04.12.2015, 21:32
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,969
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,201 Times in 2,901 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the general swiss views upon EU immigrants (Swedes?

Quote:
View Post
I start to see the problem, since assembler isn't an operating system!

Well, at the time, a lot of the stuff I worked on didn't HAVE an operating system. If you'd worked on the Motorola mc68 series you'd know what I mean. Things got a LOT easier.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Swiss government plans to limit the arrival of Southern Europe immigrants Steno Permits/visas/government 2 05.02.2013 20:30
Non-EU B visa-- what are the quota exceptions? Ohio Permits/visas/government 8 12.09.2011 23:30
Immigrants are 30 percent more likely to start businesses than non-immigrants miss_bean International affairs/politics 1 17.07.2010 00:53
[Split thread] Children of illegal immigrants are not Swiss ... comparison with USA eddiejc1 International affairs/politics 52 01.02.2010 18:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0