Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 22.10.2010, 08:46
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Equilibrium has no particular reputation at present
Re: Canada vs. Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Uhhhhhh mmm 4 years in Canada and picked up all the bad Canadian habits

I rather have a bad canadian habit than have "the swiss habit" if you know what I mean LOL!!
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 23.10.2010, 20:44
33foxglove's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zug
Posts: 215
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
33foxglove has made some interesting contributions
Re: Canada vs. Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Nope it does address employment gaps. The problem is with the credentials of the immigrants which, if not from North America, then you can't get in easily like you said your husband could'nt get in. That's the reason.
For the record Danny boy my husband did "get in" and he is a canadian citizen as well as me.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 23.10.2010, 22:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,364
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada vs. Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Montreal - A fantastic city for young singles, with a great nightlife without the line problem. For families with Children its ok, but it adds another language to your kids, so probably not the best idea...
I disagree. My son moved there to Montreal to marry and to HAVE children. The properties he has bought within commuting distance of the city, the safe area to go for walks with the baby, the National reserve within a 10 minute walk from the house, (for walks, runs, skiing) the little lake to walk around, the nearby shopping centre and a choice of both private and state schools, plus the opportunity to have his baby grow up bilingual, makes Montreal a great place for children. Personally, I would find it hard to choose between there and Switzerland. The only thing that I dislike about Montreal is the very cold winter temperatures, which reminded me of Ukraine. - much colder than Basel.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #204  
Old 25.10.2010, 19:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,181
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Canada vs. Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
For the record Danny boy my husband did "get in" and he is a canadian citizen as well as me.
great ! Looks like you have all the answers ! Well done.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at danny for this post:
  #205  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:02
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Mischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthy
Canada VS Switzerland

For me being a Canadian and moving to live in Switzerland ( Not yet able to work in Switzerland cause of the language barrier ) what is better about and in Switzerland than my own country. To me i feel i am moving to a country that has many faults then my home country, And i find it easy to point out the, I dont want to say bad things but stuff i cant get or do here than in my home country. I have yet to open my eyes to the better things in or about Switzerland, Can you all explain or tell me some of the good stuffs about Switzerland that you can get or do in this country?.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mischka for this post:
  #206  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:04
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,153
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Some previous viewpoints:

Canada vs. Switzerland

No country is perfect but...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #207  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:15
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,096
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 787 Times in 424 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
For me being a Canadian and moving to live in Switzerland ( Not yet able to work in Switzerland cause of the language barrier ) what is better about and in Switzerland than my own country. To me i feel i am moving to a country that has many faults then my home country, And i find it easy to point out the, I dont want to say bad things but stuff i cant get or do here than in my home country. I have yet to open my eyes to the better things in or about Switzerland, Can you all explain or tell me some of the good stuffs about Switzerland that you can get or do in this country?.

Thanks
If this is the attitude you have coming into the situation, how do you ever expect anything positive to come out of it? IMHO you get what you give.

Why do you think you can't work? It's not like every job you need to speak German? There are tons of English speaking jobs out there.

I moved here from Montreal 7 years ago and you couldn't get me to move back.

I love the lifestyle here, for me it beats Canada any day. What's better here? The medical system. The public transit system. You're in the middle of Europe and can go so many places in a 1 hour plane ride (as opposed to Toronto which costs a fortune). You get to learn new languages and experience new cultures (food, attitude, life in general). Ok so there's no KFC or KD - but if you're willing you learn to adapt and find alternatives. It's not that hard, but it will be if you come into it with thoughts like you have.
__________________
"What we have is no where as useful as the wheel. We keep reinventing the piece of rock that is still square"
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JanerMacP for this useful post:
  #208  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:37
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 206
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 76 Posts
user-name is considered knowledgeableuser-name is considered knowledgeableuser-name is considered knowledgeable
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

the best thing about switzerland is that you never really own the nazi gold, you just look after it for the next generation.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at user-name for this post:
  #209  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Letzeburg
Posts: 1,970
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,005 Times in 1,780 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

apparently the Swiss are more fluent in English.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #210  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:40
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Mischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthy
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If this is the attitude you have coming into the situation, how do you ever expect anything positive to come out of it? IMHO you get what you give.

Why do you think you can't work? It's not like every job you need to speak German? There are tons of English speaking jobs out there.

I moved here from Montreal 7 years ago and you couldn't get me to move back.

I love the lifestyle here, for me it beats Canada any day. What's better here? The medical system. The public transit system. You're in the middle of Europe and can go so many places in a 1 hour plane ride (as opposed to Toronto which costs a fortune). You get to learn new languages and experience new cultures (food, attitude, life in general). Ok so there's no KFC or KD - but if you're willing you learn to adapt and find alternatives. It's not that hard, but it will be if you come into it with thoughts like you have.


I dont have any bad thoughts about Switzerland, I guess since the coast of living is way way cheaper in Canada than it is in Switzerland is something easy for me to point out and its just a little hard to get used to since i cant work, And please if there is soooo many jobs here where i dont have to speak german and can speak my native langauge please by all means send me links so i can get out there and work. A few of my friends have said once i start working out here everything will start to feel more normal and i wont be looking at it from an expensive point of view like i do now since i cant work.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:42
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Mischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthy
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
apparently the Swiss are more fluent in English.

I dont give a damn about my shitty english, yes i may be a native english speaker but i dont care about english, I hate the langauge and one of the main reason i moved to Switzerland is so i can learn German and get really good in the german langauge better than i am in english....... ( i love languages except english )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mischka for this useful post:
  #212  
Old 15.01.2013, 19:57
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,219 Times in 1,911 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Don't worry about the language---Generally speaking most speak english, most are very happy and inclusive to Canadians here. Living in Zurich I only speak English, worked out well for 4 years.

In my experiences the healthcare system is far superior in Canada--but that's just my experience, very subjective.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #213  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:07
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,096
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 787 Times in 424 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
I dont have any bad thoughts about Switzerland, I guess since the coast of living is way way cheaper in Canada than it is in Switzerland is something easy for me to point out and its just a little hard to get used to since i cant work, And please if there is soooo many jobs here where i dont have to speak german and can speak my native langauge please by all means send me links so i can get out there and work. A few of my friends have said once i start working out here everything will start to feel more normal and i wont be looking at it from an expensive point of view like i do now since i cant work.
I don't know what your background is but....

- monster.ch has English jobs
- Jobs.ch has English jobs
- Head hunters like Adecco have English jobs
- UBS, Credit Suisse, Zurich Insurance - all of these places have English speaking jobs, and you don't need to have a finance background to work in a bank, I know as I speak from experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JanerMacP for this useful post:
  #214  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:14
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,109
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,650 Times in 9,457 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
i feel i am moving to a country that has many faults then my home country
So WHY are you moving here?

Anyway, I've never had a German or English speaking job here in the 30+ years I've been in and out of here, French has always been my main language despite never having had lived in the French-speaking part.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #215  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,177
Groaned at 528 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 11,929 Times in 4,668 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I dont give a damn about my shitty english, yes i may be a native english speaker but i dont care about english, I hate the langauge and one of the main reason i moved to Switzerland is so i can learn German and get really good in the german langauge better than i am in english....... ( i love languages except english )
A native English speaker who hates English and wants to replace it with German... you couldn't make it up... oh wait, you probably just did.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #216  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:21
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pays de Gex
Posts: 899
Groaned at 43 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 796 Times in 347 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I dont give a damn about my shitty english, yes i may be a native english speaker but i dont care about english, I hate the langauge and one of the main reason i moved to Switzerland is so i can learn German and get really good in the german langauge better than i am in english....... ( i love languages except english )
This is like the last kid being picked for football saying "Fine, I hate football anyway!"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank M. Ploymi for this useful post:
  #217  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:33
Laempefescht's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 247
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 220 Times in 93 Posts
Laempefescht has earned some respectLaempefescht has earned some respect
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

I just all round confused by this thread... Especially who would move to Switzerland without any of the "official" languages and without a job. How are you paying for stuff?!

As for Can v. CH - it's apples and oranges. You can't compare. I personally prefer CH.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Laempefescht for this useful post:
  #218  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:41
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Mischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthyMischka is considered unworthy
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
A native English speaker who hates English and wants to replace it with German... you couldn't make it up... oh wait, you probably just did.

Why do you think i am joking about what i said, I am dead serious, When we are born we dont have a choice of what native language we have, If i had a choice i would of picked a few langauges excluding english. if you really want to know it would be, Swedish, German, Ukrainian//Russian, polish, Italian.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:46
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,509
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,641 Times in 5,507 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

How did you move here in the first place? As a Canadian citizen you would have to get a job first to get a permit to move here, and that is very difficult because the rule is Swiss and EU citizens first for employment. So what are you doing here? If you've come in as a tourist and expect to find work, then you're going to be in trouble because it's not allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 15.01.2013, 20:52
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,086
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,054 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada VS Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Why do you think i am joking about what i said, I am dead serious, When we are born we dont have a choice of what native language we have, If i had a choice i would of picked a few langauges excluding english. if you really want to know it would be, Swedish, German, Ukrainian//Russian, polish, Italian.
OK, but if you want to learn German, why Switzerland rather than Germany... or do you want to learn Swiss German???
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(non-EU) Can my spouse have a permit? pradbis Permits/visas/government 46 26.10.2016 14:43
Fact Sheet #3: Casinos in Switzerland litespeed Entertainment & dining 6 03.08.2011 19:52
Expats in Zurich...full of Swissies? Lob Other/general 36 10.01.2008 10:40
Tax In Switzerland Richard Finance/banking/taxation 7 08.11.2006 00:13
Shipping car from Canada to Switzerland atommrav Transportation/driving 4 30.08.2006 14:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0