Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.09.2009, 19:03
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Küsnacht
Posts: 105
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
lkenny has no particular reputation at present
Restaurant etiquette......

Not a complaint just something that tickled me when it happened twice in 2 days.

I was sat having dinner in a restaurant (sadly for 1) when the waiter came to serve the food to the table next to mine, he placed all the dishes on my table and served them on to my fellow diners table one by one without even a glance to me. I know space is at a premium but it got me smiling when imagining a restaurant at home or in London and as to how people would react......

I'm not sure smiling would be the normal reaction, probably open-mouthed and simmering would generally do it!

I'm still new to Zurich, but I imagine this is the first of many small differences I'm going to notice in the future

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.09.2009, 19:06
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,003
Groaned at 36 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 7,625 Times in 2,355 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Depends on the resturant. Where were you?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.09.2009, 19:07
allegra_:)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Never noticed such a thing. Quite unusual. He was probably somewhere on the moon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.09.2009, 20:44
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Küsnacht
Posts: 105
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
lkenny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Swissotel Oerlikon & can't remember the name of the other place.......must be my prototype invisible cloak doing the trick then?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,202
Groaned at 57 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 1,036 Times in 493 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Better get used to mediocre food, lousy service at a high price. That is until you get to know a few of the waiters; then you'll at least get a smile along with the lousy service.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:03
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Hope you didn't leave a tip
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:04
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 17,033
Groaned at 247 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 10,333 Times in 6,025 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Quote:
View Post
Not a complaint just something that tickled me when it happened twice in 2 days.

I was sat having dinner in a restaurant (sadly for 1) when the waiter came to serve the food to the table next to mine, he placed all the dishes on my table and served them on to my fellow diners table one by one without even a glance to me. I know space is at a premium but it got me smiling when imagining a restaurant at home or in London and as to how people would react......

I'm not sure smiling would be the normal reaction, probably open-mouthed and simmering would generally do it!

I'm still new to Zurich, but I imagine this is the first of many small differences I'm going to notice in the future

Lee
Not exactly the usual thing, but if it has to happen the waiter apologizes for disturbing when he/she does so.




Quote:
View Post
Better get used to mediocre food, lousy service at a high price. That is until you get to know a few of the waiters; then you'll at least get a smile along with the lousy service.
That prices of food here around are far too high is not new. I however know many restaurants with good to excellent food and good to excellent service. And I do not refer to "noble" places
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Küsnacht
Posts: 105
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
lkenny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Well feel free to recommend places as I'll be spending far too much time here whilst my accommodation gets finalised!

Best regards

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:29
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,879
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Quote:
View Post
Not a complaint just something that tickled me when it happened twice in 2 days.

I was sat having dinner in a restaurant (sadly for 1) when the waiter came to serve the food to the table next to mine, he placed all the dishes on my table and served them on to my fellow diners table one by one without even a glance to me. I know space is at a premium but it got me smiling when imagining a restaurant at home or in London and as to how people would react......

I'm not sure smiling would be the normal reaction, probably open-mouthed and simmering would generally do it!

I'm still new to Zurich, but I imagine this is the first of many small differences I'm going to notice in the future

Lee
You are entitled to a share of the food transiting through your table.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Goldtop for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.09.2009, 21:40
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Küsnacht
Posts: 105
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
lkenny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Restaurant etiquette......

Quote:
View Post
You are entitled to a share of the food transiting through your table.
Food Transition Tax - You heard it here first
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fork etiquette Traubert Daily life 65 07.08.2009 09:25
Tram etiquette ALT_F4 Complaints corner 48 06.08.2009 10:06
Warning! How to have the restaurant control? check a restaurant hkang Other/general 25 25.05.2009 09:50
dining etiquette swissotter Food and drink 114 17.05.2009 21:17
Welcome: Swiss etiquette clive7 Housing in general 22 17.09.2008 06:27


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0