Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.10.2010, 09:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bāle
Posts: 284
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Ashish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthy
Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Hi There,

On the look out for a electric knife that would cut frozen meat with bones without having to defrost it first.
I have tried one from Severin, but that didn't work for me as I wanted.

Greatly appreciate help on this.

Ashish
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.10.2010, 09:14
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

If it's properly thick bones, then no. Butchers use manual hacksaws to cut through bone or a giant, table mounted saw that costs (tens of) thousands).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.10.2010, 09:40
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 2,722
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 3,683 Times in 1,325 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Quote:
View Post
Hi There,

On the look out for a electric knife that would cut frozen meat with bones without having to defrost it first.
I have tried one from Severin, but that didn't work for me as I wanted.

Greatly appreciate help on this.

Ashish
A chainsaw wold be good for that, normal e-knives just don“t “cut“ it.

Don“t know what you want to cut but now and then I have been known to use a bosch DIY jig-saw thingy with a large tooth blade on frozen stuff.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 24.10.2010, 09:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bāle
Posts: 284
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Ashish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthy
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Looking to cut chicken and red meat.

Quote:
View Post
A chainsaw wold be good for that, normal e-knives just don“t “cut“ it.

Don“t know what you want to cut but now and then I have been known to use a bosch DIY jig-saw thingy with a large tooth blade on frozen stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.10.2010, 11:21
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 1,576
Groaned at 159 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,231 Times in 714 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds then cut with a regular sharp knife.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.10.2010, 18:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bāle
Posts: 284
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Ashish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthy
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

I was looking for the knife in the first place, the avoid putting back a portion of the defrosted meat back into the freezer. With the knife, I was mainly hoping to cut down the cooking time, especially during week days. Ideally I look for cutting a piece of frozen meat and putting it directly into the wok!


Quote:
View Post
Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds then cut with a regular sharp knife.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.10.2010, 18:29
Mimster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 227
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Mimster has no particular reputation at present
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Instead of a knife, I would recommend getting one of those meat slicers/bread cutters that you sometimes see in delis - some examples in the following link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/foodslicers.html

I freeze meat and use these machines to thinly cut beef for Asian fondue. It is better than buying the frozen ready prep meat because I can determine the quality of the meat that I serve. I am not sure about the bone part but I have found the machines to be quite effective with frozen meat.

Any of the interdiscounts, home appliance stores should have at least a small selection.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mimster; 24.10.2010 at 18:30. Reason: fixed spelling typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mimster for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.10.2010, 18:34
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

I use a Zwilling meat cleaver - goes through anything like butter .

They cost around CHF 120 and are worth every rappen.

Pic above is for reference only - I got mine in Manor.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.10.2010, 19:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bāle
Posts: 284
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Ashish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthy
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Thanks very much. Did a quick google search, but couldn't manage to find a source in Europe, where I can buy it. Would keep trying.


Quote:
View Post
Instead of a knife, I would recommend getting one of those meat slicers/bread cutters that you sometimes see in delis - some examples in the following link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/foodslicers.html

I freeze meat and use these machines to thinly cut beef for Asian fondue. It is better than buying the frozen ready prep meat because I can determine the quality of the meat that I serve. I am not sure about the bone part but I have found the machines to be quite effective with frozen meat.

Any of the interdiscounts, home appliance stores should have at least a small selection.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.10.2010, 20:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bāle
Posts: 284
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Ashish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthyAshish is considered unworthy
Re: Electric Knife for Cutting Frozen Meat

Thanks very much. It appears to me that it is a non-electric knife. I would go for it, if it can slice a 2-inch frozen meat. Didn't manage to find it on Manor online store.


Quote:
View Post
I use a Zwilling meat cleaver - goes through anything like butter .

They cost around CHF 120 and are worth every rappen.

Pic above is for reference only - I got mine in Manor.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a rule regarding grass cutting? TheSpouse Daily life 29 15.08.2011 08:32
Smoking meat for bbq, best place to buy huge chunks of meat in DE? krolley Food and drink 3 27.07.2010 23:08
grass cutting r4chel Complaints corner 42 01.07.2010 01:23
Electric smoking machine [electric cigarette replacements] jbrady General off-topic 14 03.08.2009 09:33
Key Cutting Charlyb Housing in general 26 30.07.2009 18:11


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0